ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-15-2006, 08:28 AM   #31
DataDaddy OP
@ the new dad thing
 
DataDaddy's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: back a'ridin...
Oddometer: 7,557
The Morning After...

Figured I would add some thoughts this morning, following a good nights rest...plus I forgot a couple of things

1. Little sore this morning... Legs are a bit sore from the ride yesterday (tight bend on Sherman) but mainly it's my shoulders that are most sore. I'm blaming that mostly on the slightly tight ergos and the fact that I wore the backpack all day... Oh, and Sherman's seat is more comfortable than a stock KLR seat not that I am saying much here

2. Chemical Hand Warmers... more accurately, ~10 year old, chemical hand warmers. Linzi felt bad for me and dug these out of storage from somewhere... Rated for 6-8 hours at 127 deg... Apparently these things age, so I got heat for about 1-2 hours

3. Warmth without Electrics... Wasn't a bad trip at all temperature-wise. I would get a bit chilled when I did the long, faster stretches of asphalt. Mostly the hands (see hand warmer section ). Once on the gravel, more activity meant more heat, slightly slower speeds helped too. Also this trip, I tried something a little different. Normally, I wear jeans over my polypro layers with the 'stich on top of that... This time I ditched the jeans and was much warmer. I think the jeans were compressing the insulating layers, reducing the air pockets that trap heat and keep ya warm. If you thought my Blue 'Stich was a fashion statement, you should see me in a restaurant wearing black, polypro (long underwear) pants tucked into my boots Good stuff I tell ya! Good Stuff

4. Hope this friggin' thing has a reserve... About two miles out of Oxford, MS, Sherman started sputtering and complaining about an empty tank. I wasn't too alarmed because Sherman is a Kawasaki and from riding the KLR, I know right were the reserve valve is... Reach down and try to turn it to the 9 o'clock more gas position... It won't move to the nine position! Questions running through my mind... a. Does Sherman have a reserve? b. Was Sherman already on reserve? c. Does Sherman have a super, secret half gallon reserve like the KLR? Sherman's engine quits and we roll quietly into someone's driveway... Well, as it turns out. Yes, Sherman does have a reserve. Run is at 6 o'clock and Reserve is at 12 o'clock requiring a 180 counter clock-wise turn, so now you know...

Garmin needs the "Hey, I'm on a 250" setting... It was a bit of a fight with the Etrex to keep off the faster roads... It sure wanted to use the interstate... I know there is an avoid highways setting, but I haven't played with that enough to be comfortable with it.

Dust to Glory: Men in Orange... I got Dust to Glory for Christmas... Very cool and very crazy with all the "other traffic" on the course. Yesterday had a bit of that flavor. It's the last weekend of gun season here in Mississippi so folks were out in droves. Mississippi also allows deer hunting with dogs (to drive the deer to the hunters). So, yesterday Sherman and I got to experience a bit of the "Dust to Glory" scene while pounding along the back roads. Lots of men in Orange. Pickups driving around looking for dogs, radio tracking antenna sticking out of the windows. Deer dogs (groups of 5-10) crossing the road. Stopped trucks blocking the whole road while the drivers conferred. Lots of guys hanging out with gun and beer waiting for the dogs, and hopefully deer to arrive. I pretended that I was "Mouse" as I blew through these obstacles, twisting Sherman's throttle to the stops...



P.S. I just found the pictures from my first trip to Memphis to check Sherman out... Every ride report needs a Prequel!!! Stay tuned!!!!
__________________
ADV: It's kind of like that Verizon guy - when the shit gets thick just look over my shoulder at that crowd behind me -- ADVMax

oh, that's really good -- AceRph, Alcan06
DataDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 08:43 AM   #32
Meathead
tin man
 
Meathead's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Upstate SC
Oddometer: 16,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by DataDaddy
P.S. I just found the pictures from my first trip to Memphis to check Sherman out... Every ride report needs a Prequel!!! Stay tuned!!!!












ps: Stop riding so much!
Meathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 07:33 PM   #33
mutineer
Raoul Duke Lives
 
mutineer's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Eastern Chaingolia
Oddometer: 18,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by DataDaddy
Figured I would add some thoughts this morning, following a good nights rest...plus I forgot a couple of things

1. Little sore this morning... Legs are a bit sore from the ride yesterday (tight bend on Sherman) but mainly it's my shoulders that are most sore. I'm blaming that mostly on the slightly tight ergos and the fact that I wore the backpack all day... Oh, and Sherman's seat is more comfortable than a stock KLR seat not that I am saying much here

2. Chemical Hand Warmers... more accurately, ~10 year old, chemical hand warmers. Linzi felt bad for me and dug these out of storage from somewhere... Rated for 6-8 hours at 127 deg... Apparently these things age, so I got heat for about 1-2 hours

3. Warmth without Electrics... Wasn't a bad trip at all temperature-wise. I would get a bit chilled when I did the long, faster stretches of asphalt. Mostly the hands (see hand warmer section ). Once on the gravel, more activity meant more heat, slightly slower speeds helped too. Also this trip, I tried something a little different. Normally, I wear jeans over my polypro layers with the 'stich on top of that... This time I ditched the jeans and was much warmer. I think the jeans were compressing the insulating layers, reducing the air pockets that trap heat and keep ya warm. If you thought my Blue 'Stich was a fashion statement, you should see me in a restaurant wearing black, polypro (long underwear) pants tucked into my boots Good stuff I tell ya! Good Stuff

4. Hope this friggin' thing has a reserve... About two miles out of Oxford, MS, Sherman started sputtering and complaining about an empty tank. I wasn't too alarmed because Sherman is a Kawasaki and from riding the KLR, I know right were the reserve valve is... Reach down and try to turn it to the 9 o'clock more gas position... It won't move to the nine position! Questions running through my mind... a. Does Sherman have a reserve? b. Was Sherman already on reserve? c. Does Sherman have a super, secret half gallon reserve like the KLR? Sherman's engine quits and we roll quietly into someone's driveway... Well, as it turns out. Yes, Sherman does have a reserve. Run is at 6 o'clock and Reserve is at 12 o'clock requiring a 180 counter clock-wise turn, so now you know...

Garmin needs the "Hey, I'm on a 250" setting... It was a bit of a fight with the Etrex to keep off the faster roads... It sure wanted to use the interstate... I know there is an avoid highways setting, but I haven't played with that enough to be comfortable with it.

Dust to Glory: Men in Orange... I got Dust to Glory for Christmas... Very cool and very crazy with all the "other traffic" on the course. Yesterday had a bit of that flavor. It's the last weekend of gun season here in Mississippi so folks were out in droves. Mississippi also allows deer hunting with dogs (to drive the deer to the hunters). So, yesterday Sherman and I got to experience a bit of the "Dust to Glory" scene while pounding along the back roads. Lots of men in Orange. Pickups driving around looking for dogs, radio tracking antenna sticking out of the windows. Deer dogs (groups of 5-10) crossing the road. Stopped trucks blocking the whole road while the drivers conferred. Lots of guys hanging out with gun and beer waiting for the dogs, and hopefully deer to arrive. I pretended that I was "Mouse" as I blew through these obstacles, twisting Sherman's throttle to the stops...



P.S. I just found the pictures from my first trip to Memphis to check Sherman out... Every ride report needs a Prequel!!! Stay tuned!!!!
um, Jay

it has been like 12 hours - even your dialup ain't that slow

enough personal life more story
__________________
"Life is as good as you let it be" - Chain
"well . . . it ain't for everybody" - Goonie

"Enjoy every sandwich" - Warren Zevon
mutineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 11:07 PM   #34
Just_Sean
herewegoagain
 
Just_Sean's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: NOT Brooklyn
Oddometer: 14,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by DataDaddy

Please tell me you didn't put mayonnaise on a hot dog...
Just_Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 07:39 AM   #35
freeflow
get in or go in
 
freeflow's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: GB-Wisconsin
Oddometer: 15,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by DataDaddy





Ilmostro's hand up the mounty's skirt.....what a great display of truth
freeflow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 07:45 AM   #36
DataDaddy OP
@ the new dad thing
 
DataDaddy's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: back a'ridin...
Oddometer: 7,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlamedaK9
Please tell me you didn't put mayonnaise on a hot dog...
Smoked Sausage, actually

mayonnaise is nature's lube!
__________________
ADV: It's kind of like that Verizon guy - when the shit gets thick just look over my shoulder at that crowd behind me -- ADVMax

oh, that's really good -- AceRph, Alcan06
DataDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 08:50 AM   #37
Bitt
Wanderlusting
 
Bitt's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: Deception Pass, USA
Oddometer: 691
I made the mistake of clicking on the link early on to Flug's pic
and then seeing his road food shots ... well anyway... it has made me rather ill.
Nice ride though!
Bitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 11:43 AM   #38
Just_Sean
herewegoagain
 
Just_Sean's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: NOT Brooklyn
Oddometer: 14,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by DataDaddy
Smoked Sausage, actually

mayonnaise is nature's lube!
Okay - we just usually stick those on a sourdough roll out here, not a hot dog bun....
Just_Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 04:52 PM   #39
DataDaddy OP
@ the new dad thing
 
DataDaddy's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: back a'ridin...
Oddometer: 7,557
Prequel: Meeting a Bike Named Sherman


Was checking through the Flea Market in early December, when I saw that Ilmostro was emptying his garage. Everything was for sale, so I figured the "man" was after him... This was a chance to get a bike dirt cheap since he was desperate help him out. It would be really great to have a fun little 250cc to play on to find a bike for my wife, too.

PM's were exchanged, calenders checked, tea leaves read, and the Magic 8 Ball said "Go to Memphis." Never question plastic, liquid-filled sages...

December 9th... 28F and sunny. Headed to Memphis

picture note: after 5 tries, my hands were freezing... Damn, photographer taking soooooo long.

Headed north toward Memphis. It was pretty cold, well actually really cold. I could feel my heated grips, but I couldn't feel my electric vest working. I figured that I had blown a fuse, so I turned the vest off to check... Took a couple of miles to figure out that the vest had in fact been working!

Gotta make miles...

Passing through Montpelier, MS, here is the Post Office. Just cool


I run about an hour up the road to Houston, MS. At this point, most of me is cold, real cold

Stopped to get a picture of the mandatory barn...

(editors note: looks like a house now that I am home... visor fogged anytime I stopped I am pretty sure that there were animals using it though. I'm callin' it a barn -- deal with it )

I head inside with some extra layers to put on. Add another layer of polypro on the legs. Electrics on the legs would be great, but I don't have any and I am not sure that the KLR would drive all of this stuff...

The vest was over a light polypro shirt, possible problem. So, vest against bare skin, add another layer to make 3 three layers up top. I am wearing everything I have, so I hope this works

Coffee and a Snickers bar to warm the core. 30 minutes, I am ready to go again.

Cold Weather Strategy 1: Wear Everything you have!
Cold Weather Strategy 2: Slow down!

With strategy 2 in mind, I hang a left a the next small side road I find and start the back road and gravel trek to Memphis

Looked like this


I was a lot happier on the side roads and the gravel roads were the warmest... I was traveling almost as fast (60+) on the gravel as I had been on the highway... guess tight arms and a clinched sphincter generate good heat

Stopped again in Oxford to warm up and have a little lunch. Not so bad now with the extra layers... I make my way up to Memphis and find Castle Starfish.

The Welcoming Committee (Linzi and Ilmostro for 'dems dats new)


Aren't they just sooo cute, bless their hearts...


The Prequel Route





Stay tuned....in the next episode I meet komet, Scumshine, and DR950 , eat fired sushi, drink beer , and convince Ilmostro that he probably looks better with body hair

Back to work for now... I'll be back
__________________
ADV: It's kind of like that Verizon guy - when the shit gets thick just look over my shoulder at that crowd behind me -- ADVMax

oh, that's really good -- AceRph, Alcan06

DataDaddy screwed with this post 01-17-2006 at 08:52 AM Reason: forgot the add the barn picture...
DataDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 05:54 AM   #40
ilmostro
Under Da Sea
 
ilmostro's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: San Rafael, CA
Oddometer: 29,251
__________________
I've got stay the fuck out of it written on a stone tablet in my bedroom. - Con Stapleton
ilmostro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 09:34 AM   #41
DataDaddy OP
@ the new dad thing
 
DataDaddy's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: back a'ridin...
Oddometer: 7,557
Upon hearing of the liquid-filled, plastic sages decision, Ilmostro put forth the cry across all of Memphis. "Hear ye! Hear ye! DataDaddy cometh to Memphis, let there be merriment, food, and spirits!"

komet, Scumshine, and DR950 were in Linzi, Ilmostro, and I climb into the toaster and head on over to Boscos, a brewpub, dinner-style joint...

We hung in the bar waiting for folks to arrive and for a table. komet did a drive by visit. I think he was working that night. The pager went off and they moved us from the bar into the general dining populace

Appetizers were ordered and the pints were topped off... We were on our best behavior

"I say ol' chap, what shall we eat this fine evening?"


Our waiter noticed me taking the over the shoulder pictures and offered to take some pictures of the whole group... sucker!!!

We all posed up in our best AdvPortrait mode... CHEEZZEE

Left to Right: DataDaddy, Scumshine, Linzi, Ilmostro, DC950

The waiter was laughing at this point and so were we. I figured that we should get a good serious shot... "Hey, go ahead a take another one "

A serious AdvPortrait

Left to Right: Same disorder as above

Much better...

Our waiter "Boscos" was a good guy...

and a great sport.

Dinner was ordered and we all settled down to enjoy the evening in the fine dining establishment...

You can tell the good places... They don't have much gum under the table...

Left to Right: Linzi, Ilmostro, DC950

Dinner arrives and the table gets quiet. I had a seared tuna roll that was breaded and fried Saw it on the menu and knew it must be tried (actually, I didn't notice the whole "breaded and fried" part )


Very, very good... Add one more item to the Great Southern List of Stuff You Can Fry

...like I said, thing quieted right down when dinner arrived


of course there was the whole "exploding Martini glass" deal. Linzi has those pictures...

Linzi enjoys her dessert


It was a great evening and I had fun meeting everyone. You know how there are certain events that are soooo great that people are motivated to get tattoos? Well, this didn't quite reach that level, so Ilmostro suggested something a little less permanent...


I don't think so Dave.... I think my body hair may have been the critical factor in keeping me from freezing on the way up... You go ahead...

Now, before folks start in about a wasted evening and such... nothing of value accomplished... yada yada yada...

It was proved that night that a camera flash can distract a driver...


resulting in scared passengers...

you can see that Linzi is bordering on hysterics...

It was almost Christmas, so that means...

Lights


and malls...

Stay tuned. Next episode, we'll go to the mall and dork around just long enough so I can ride home in the dark!
__________________
ADV: It's kind of like that Verizon guy - when the shit gets thick just look over my shoulder at that crowd behind me -- ADVMax

oh, that's really good -- AceRph, Alcan06
DataDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 03:42 PM   #42
DataDaddy OP
@ the new dad thing
 
DataDaddy's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: back a'ridin...
Oddometer: 7,557
Since I was in Memphis buying a bike for my wife, I figured that I better get her a "real" birthday present... I was told that a motorcycle did not represent a birthday or Christmas present in her book... At least not yet, I am working on her

The mess hall at Castle Starfish...


Apparently toasters are supposed to park together... Dave does his best impression


Ahh, Christmas at the mall...


It is a season for giving... It's not the gift that counts, but the thought. We thought about Rider


Hmmmmm....


In a tribute to 2BlackBelts, Ilmostro and I went looking for babes. We met these two...




With the mission accomplished, it was time to head back to Castle Starfish and then on home...

Took one last picture for a study in contrast...

Ilmostro and his tool box and fridge...


Mutineer's Fridge and toolbox...


No judgment here --- just different

Headed home that evening, though I was offered an additional night's stay...thanks Dave and Linzi!

38F at time of departure. It is funny how 10 degrees can make such a big difference... Great run home through the dark of Mississippi. Stayed on the main roads so as to have some assistance with the deer. The main square in Houston, MS was all decorated up for Christmas...

Nice lights


Self-portrait with the lights on my visor... ohhh.... ahhh....


A little supper and spirits to warm up after the ride.


The 2nd End...

Sherman is all tucked away in the garage with the other bikes... He is excited about going to the Farm for the Winter Ride in a couple of weeks (Feb 3-5)...

...now where is that website, Sherman might need a rack, and some boxes, and ...
__________________
ADV: It's kind of like that Verizon guy - when the shit gets thick just look over my shoulder at that crowd behind me -- ADVMax

oh, that's really good -- AceRph, Alcan06
DataDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 04:04 PM   #43
ilmostro
Under Da Sea
 
ilmostro's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: San Rafael, CA
Oddometer: 29,251
__________________
I've got stay the fuck out of it written on a stone tablet in my bedroom. - Con Stapleton
ilmostro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 08:27 PM   #44
DataDaddy OP
@ the new dad thing
 
DataDaddy's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: back a'ridin...
Oddometer: 7,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmostro


...hopefully there is enough riding included as not to get kicked to Jo Momma...kinda on the edge

__________________
ADV: It's kind of like that Verizon guy - when the shit gets thick just look over my shoulder at that crowd behind me -- ADVMax

oh, that's really good -- AceRph, Alcan06
DataDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014