User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2013, 09:57 AM   #1
bjones OP
USA

Oddometer: 7
Trip through Central America

So a few friend and I were planning a trip through Central America over the course of a month or two from Nicaragua to Panama. We need to buy bikes when we get down there and I was wondering if anyone knows which country in Central America would have the cheapest bikes to purchase?
Thanks
bjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:56 AM   #2
TeeVee
His mudda was a mudda!

Oddometer: 764
well, your question is loaded. what kind of bikes? chinese, euro, jap? size? used? new?

if you're leaving from nicaragua you will find plenty of deals on used chinese bikes and a fair selection of used jap bikes with a few euros thrown in for good measure. nicaragua is genrally cheaper than costa rica as import duties are much less.

what do you plan on doing with the bikes at the end?
TeeVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:33 AM   #3
bike-nicaragua
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
I dont think that you can buy a bike in Nicaragua and leave the country without a registration on your name. And you won't get a registration without a residency or on the name of your own registrated company.
The other countries here a around it's pretty the same.

Only in Guatemala is it possible to buy a bike, get a NIT (personal registration number with a local adress) an register the bike on your name.
BUT if you want to sell the bike in another country it's again complicated, because of import taxes and paperwork.

Sometimes it's easier to rent one in your favorite country and skip a country with a bus to the next favorite country.

saludos Jürgen
Old 09-12-2013, 11:05 AM   #4
bjones OP
USA

I was just looking for a used on/off road honda yamaha or suzuki with about 300 hp or less with knobby tires and headlights. So the only place I could buy a bike is Guatemala and if I bought in guatemala the only place I could sell it after I was done with it would be Guatemala? TeeVee you mentioned that jap bikes were cheaper to get in Nicaragua but would I be able to leave the country with it and Id plan on selling it at the end of the trip?
Thanks for the responses

bjones screwed with this post 09-12-2013 at 11:11 AM
Old 09-12-2013, 12:52 PM   #5
TeeVee
His mudda was a mudda!

you may purchase the vehicle in your name but you will need someone with residency or local company to register a vehicle in nica. it can be done with an attorney and making someone the beneficiary. way too much work for a short tour. in any event, the biggest problem buying a bike in nica will be the indefinite wait time for a license plate. i waited almost 1.5 years to get mine. and there IS NO WAY to speed that process up, even if you pay someone off.

you may be able to rent bikes in nica but i suspect the border crossings will me a bit of a nightmare if you don't have 1000% of what you need. yes, people have done it. i know some folks in nica that may rent out some dr650's but you'd have to have fairly large deposits.

oh, and was that a typo when you wrote "300 hp or less"??? i'm not sure anything designed for the road, let alone off-road or dual sport has anything near 300 hp!

TeeVee screwed with this post 09-12-2013 at 01:33 PM Reason: correcting my advice
Old 09-12-2013, 03:10 PM   #6
bjones OP
USA

sorry yeah meant cc and ok thanks for the tip, I have had friends buy in Mexico before on short notice, is Mexico significantly easier to buy in or is it the issue of border crossing that causes the trouble? If so, how seriously are the customs officers at the borders?
Old 09-12-2013, 03:46 PM   #7
Chiriqui Charlie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
Bikes in Panama are MUCH cheaper tan in Costa Rica, and you can purchase and register in your own name without a residency.
Chiriqui Charlie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:16 PM   #8
TeeVee
His mudda was a mudda!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones View Post
sorry yeah meant cc and ok thanks for the tip, I have had friends buy in Mexico before on short notice, is Mexico significantly easier to buy in or is it the issue of border crossing that causes the trouble? If so, how seriously are the customs officers at the borders?
you really should spend some time reading the threads here about border crossings. there are several. they are all a pain in the ass, some worse than others. if you have the slightest thing off, you will not be getting through without a miracle of sorts. for some info, check here: http://www.borderhelper.com/about

this guy rented a bike in Mexico and rode through CA. didn't report any problems with paperwork. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ghlight=gringo

if you are interested in renting a couple of 650's PM me and i'll ask my friends for details.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:51 PM   #9
GuateRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,375
Guatemala is the best and biggest market if you are looking for a used bike in central America .

http://www.olx.com.gt/nf/search/motos

The paperwork is easy and fast , it shouldn't take more then 2 days to get a used bike registered to your name . You don't need to be a resident or having a company or a beneficiary , all you need is your passport . The last time I checked, it was the same for El Salvador .
Old 09-12-2013, 06:22 PM   #10
bike-nicaragua
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Hello bjones,
you can find used bikes in the internet.

http://www.encuentra24.com/nicaragua...s#sort=f_added

this site exists for different countries, as well look here;

http://www.mercadolibre.com/

Or rent a bike from me

http://www.bike-nicaragua.com/english/

The problem is selling a bike after your trip. When you are limited in your time, you have to accept very low offers maybe. If you want to sell a bike outside the country where you bought it the buyer has to import the bike und pay import taxes...

saludos Jürgen
Old 09-13-2013, 11:08 AM   #11
salcar
Riding 4 Health

Oddometer: 1,076
We just had a couple of guys staying with us and they bought a chinese bike 200cc, 2013 with 3,000kms on it in Antigua Guatemala from one of rental companies there - they paid 1,000USD. However, they said it took them 2 weeks to get all the paper work sorted out including getting the NIT number.

You can rent and take a bike out of the country but it requires a bit of legal paper work and to cross into Costa Rica with a Nicaraguan bike it will also require the police to check the bikes.

Let me know if you are interested in renting a bike and we can help you with the necessary paper work.
Old 09-13-2013, 02:14 PM   #12
GuateRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by salcar View Post
However, they said it took them 2 weeks to get all the paper work sorted out including getting the NIT number.
They must have done something wrong or there was an issue with the bike papers .
It takes 1-2 hours to get the NIT and 3 hours to get the title and registration.
I have done it many times !