ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2013, 12:25 PM   #46
AJay112 OP
AJay112

Oddometer: 1,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by FZeno1 View Post
This sounds awesome!

Some buddies and myself are leaving tomorrow morning early for Deal Gap area and all we are bringing a dualsports.
Austin
Head over to Tellico Plaines (End of the Skyway) and see "Mike" at Tellico Motorcycle Outfitters. Buy the National Geographic map at the bookstore next door and have him highlite some routes for you. Spend a couple of bucks with him though... wait, you're not on KLR's so you already know to do that ;)
AJay112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:46 PM   #47
FZeno1
Tipping over pro

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJay112 View Post
Head over to Tellico Plaines (End of the Skyway) and see "Mike" at Tellico Motorcycle Outfitters. Buy the National Geographic map at the bookstore next door and have him highlite some routes for you. Spend a couple of bucks with him though... wait, you're not on KLR's so you already know to do that ;)
Thanks for the tip
Old 09-11-2013, 09:11 AM   #48
FZeno1
Tipping over pro

Quote:
Thanks for the tip
Bookstore was closed and I don't think Mike was a fan of me

So I do have some questions as I got all kinds of lost trying this route on Sunday.

Soooooooo I took little snowbird to
Left on Mission
At the pond at Mission headed up the hill on the right
At the intersection by the houses went up the hill to the trail
Trail winded around and went left to the horse barn area wrapped around to the right
Found the Bulldozer blocking the trail squeezed past it
Followed that trail to the left and it stopped and was overgrown truned around
Went down into the gully rocky gorges
Trail continued a while true a bunch on muddy patches
Found a T in the trail that I do believe is just a short cut looking on the google maps
a bunch more muddy patches
Hit a T that is a gravel road and headed right
Ended up being a glorious gravel road that winds back and forth with elevation changes ( reminded me of the tail of the dragon but gravel) saw a KLR and a DRZ on this road coming the other way
Ended up back on Little snowbird coming up on Mission on my right and was very confused.

Now, I am not mad at all...That gravel road was glorious..But just wondering where I went wrong to get to andrews

P.S. my XR650L was a blast on those gravel roads, but my lack of skill made the rocky gorges interesting. hahahaha
Old 09-11-2013, 09:25 AM   #49
opjocephus
I'm down, I'm down!

Oddometer: 535
Late to the game

I rode this last summer on my Tiger 800 XC. From Snowbird to Porterfield Gap to Andrews. Check Google Maps. At the furthest south waypoint, you can see a home being built in Google Maps. I had just got to the top and these folks, whose names I don't remember, came down to get a cell signal. Spoke to them for a moment. Nice people should you need anything. Heading south, when you get to the middle waypoint, there is a fork in road and a sign that arrows towards Porterfield Gap.
"Your eyes look like a couple of piss holes in a snow bank." The Great Jaydini
opjocephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:03 AM   #50
ArmyJoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,102
Quote:
Bookstore was closed and I don't think Mike was a fan of me

So I do have some questions as I got all kinds of lost trying this route on Sunday.

Soooooooo I took little snowbird to
Left on Mission
At the pond at Mission headed up the hill on the right
At the intersection by the houses went up the hill to the trail
Trail winded around and went left to the horse barn area wrapped around to the right
Found the Bulldozer blocking the trail squeezed past it
Followed that trail to the left and it stopped and was overgrown truned around
Went down into the gully rocky gorges
Trail continued a while true a bunch on muddy patches
Found a T in the trail that I do believe is just a short cut looking on the google maps
a bunch more muddy patches
Hit a T that is a gravel road and headed right
Ended up being a glorious gravel road that winds back and forth with elevation changes ( reminded me of the tail of the dragon but gravel) saw a KLR and a DRZ on this road coming the other way
Ended up back on Little snowbird coming up on Mission on my right and was very confused.

Now, I am not mad at all...That gravel road was glorious..But just wondering where I went wrong to get to andrews

P.S. my XR650L was a blast on those gravel roads, but my lack of skill made the rocky gorges interesting. hahahaha
You need to go six miles past Mission and turn onto Porterfield Gap Road,

My latest adventures detailed at ArmyJoe's Perpetual Picture Thread:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888783
ArmyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:07 AM   #51
FZeno1
Tipping over pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyJoe View Post
You need to go six miles past Mission and turn onto Porterfield Gap Road,

We actually came out on porterfield gap road from the mess of trail to get to the gravel road... Originally turned the wrong direction and saw the creepy fish hatchery thing

I suck!