User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2013, 06:23 PM   #31
roadfool
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
loud pipe design logic

I have always rode (quiet bikes CB750, FJR, various antique twins Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki) This Monday I bought a Honda Shadow ACE with after market pipes on it. It is far and away the loudest bike I've ever owned ( including a Sporty and a Softail) Just anecdotal evidence from riding the last 4 days cagers stay away from loud pipes ( Philly area). And that's fine with me
roadfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:19 PM   #32
joexr
Banned

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical C View Post
I always hought that my Buell smelt worst at the lights, forward facing your pipes would cause more of that.
Buells stink when you TAKE OFF from lights.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:03 PM   #33
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
Buells stink when you TAKE OFF from lights.
No launch was actually pretty good, it was above 130 that it was slow.
Vertical C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:11 PM   #34
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Oddometer: 6,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyvh1959 View Post

Of course, bugs, road grit, leaves, water, all sorts of crap getting air-rammed into the exhaust would be detrimental to their cause. Not to mention the fact that it would look dumb-ass stupid on any bike.
You are wrong.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:09 PM   #35
KX50002
NooB, my ass

Oddometer: 1,480
Riding my stock 92 Concours about 80 mph today, ducked behind the windshield and realized it sounds about like a meteor hurtling through the vacuum of space.

And yet, I survived.
I like a little exhaust sound, but straight pipes have no place on the street.

It seems especially worse on "cruisers" at least sportbikes go by so fast you don't get a chance to work up a good steaming rant before they're gone!
Old 08-29-2013, 11:38 AM   #36
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffin44 View Post
An interesting factoid for me occurred a couple of weeks ago while driving my car. I was behind two morons with straight pipes for about 5 minutes until I decided their annoying me was not to be tolerated and I would be damned if I was gonna pull over and wait for them to get into the next time zone so I wouldn't have to hear them.

Instead, I blasted by them at high speed in a fairly risky pass in a potentially dangerous spot, but I got in front of them and didn't have to listen to them anymore.

Now, considering I am usually a pretty cautious driver but was willing to endanger all three of us (more them, to tell the truth) to get away from their noise, it got me to wondering just how much safer they made themselves with their loud pipes.

And, yes, I realize my driving was not acceptable and I was wrong. That is not my point. My point is, I believe many other people may do equally or more dangerous things as a result of this crap. And I wonder how that factors into the moronic debate.
Says so much more about YOU than it does about THEM...
woodnbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:33 PM   #37
waveydavey
happy times!!

Oddometer: 9,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnbow View Post
Says so much more about YOU than it does about THEM...
Yes, there seems to be a lot of BPD on this site.
Old 09-01-2013, 07:35 PM   #38
FlySniper
Bleh...

Oddometer: 1,657
Straight pipes should be routed straight up the owner's ass. Harley, Honda, Ford, Chevy.... it doesn't matter. It's obnoxious as hell no matter the source.

Bet it would cut way down on the redlight throttle blipping too! (Why the hell do they do that anyway? Bike won't idle without stalling out? )

"Think about how stupid the average person is. Now, realise that half of them are dumber than that." - George Carlin
FlySniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:04 PM   #39
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyForNow View Post
I am so glad this thread is still alive. This is an important topic that hasn't been explored before.
Give it a rest.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:27 PM   #40
Andyvh1959 OP
Cheesehead Klompen

Oddometer: 601
My guess on the constant throttle blipping, other than the "LOOK AT ME" aspect of it, is that after fitting the bike with straight pipes it actually leans out the fuel mix. If the bike owner didn't have the carbs/fuel injection adjusted to suit, the bike probably idles for crap without the constant shot of more gas.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:56 AM   #41
Zerk
DILLIGAF

Oddometer: 3,204
While I argue against really loud pipes because it does piss people off, people who say they don't work at all are not honest with themselves.

Ya you can't hear them when they are 50 feet back, but they are not in a cars blind spot at that point either.

Sure learning how to drive, and rainbow colored outfits help, but doesn't mean you can't have more then one tool in your toolbox. Years of riding a quite bike with an accident, doesn't prove that they don't do any good either.

foreign lands and alien birds, hear stories that no ones heard-D.A.D.

Helmets are like rubbers, you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't-Me.
Zerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:57 AM   #42
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyvh1959 View Post
My guess on the constant throttle blipping, other than the "LOOK AT ME" aspect of it, is that after fitting the bike with straight pipes it actually leans out the fuel mix. If the bike owner didn't have the carbs/fuel injection adjusted to suit, the bike probably idles for crap without the constant shot of more gas.
No, you've got it all wrong.

In the past I always thought that it was just such a piece of shit bike that it wouldn't idle. It seemed obvious to me that it was poorly maintained, else how did they lose the baffle?

This still may be the case for many of these bikes, but I've come up with an alternative theory.

Shortly after installing loud pipes the rider is soon suffering from partial or total hearing loss and is unable to hear their bike idling. Naturally, they think it may have stalled. They blip the throttle just to make sure it is still running.

That, or they are just trying to compensate for some other anatomical deficiency.

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:23 AM   #43
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerk View Post
While I argue against really loud pipes because it does piss people off, people who say they don't work at all are not honest with themselves.

Ya you can't hear them when they are 50 feet back, but they are not in a cars blind spot at that point either.

Sure learning how to drive, and rainbow colored outfits help, but doesn't mean you can't have more then one tool in your toolbox. Years of riding a quite bike with an accident, doesn't prove that they don't do any good either.
So whats the matter with using a horn? Stocker not loud enough? A Stebel horn is one hell of a lot cheaper(and dame near as loud) than chrome straight pipes...and it isn't BLARING all the way down the road, just when you need it.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:59 AM   #44
Bloodweiser
honestly

Oddometer: 2,568
sometimes you don't know when it's needed.

I'm sure my mild slip-on has alerted some folks,
around a blind curve, that they shouldn't
pull out of their driveway, or cross street -
cause there's something super cool coming.
Bloodweiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:32 AM   #45
Twoupfront
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
My take on loud pipes is that they're often so loud that they reverberate extremely much in settings where it's the most counterproductive: The city. Combine this with other people (besides me) not being to tell where it's from either, or the distance, and you have a lot of cagers trying to find out where it's coming from and how far away it is.

Oh, yeah, and higher frequency sound is directional, where low frequency sound is omnidirectional. That's why it matters that the tweeter in your speaker points towards your ears, whereas the low frequency signals can come from a subwoofer placed in the corner of your living room.

It's not something that is new or weird, it's pretty basic science about audio wave propagation.

You don't need to be an elephant to be able to hear this either: Get a speaker with a tweeter so you know for a fact that the higher frequencies comes out, poke your head close to it, at the right height. Then begin move your head down, up, or to the sides, away from the tweeter. You will notice, that as you move away (to the sides, up, or down) that the audio will become much more bass-heavy, as if it's cutting away the treble. The reason for this is that you actually are cutting away the treble by moving out of reach of the "beam".

Twoupfront screwed with this post 09-13-2013 at 07:06 AM Reason: spelling etc.
Twoupfront is offline   Reply With Quote