Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2013, 01:59 PM   #511
chris73
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgeon View Post
I'm currently talking to my architectural blacksmith pal to build me an auxiliary rack out of stainless tubing to make it easier to carry soft panniers. It's pretty simple, but I don't have the skills to build it. It'd just hook on the lower rail and bolt into the spot that holds the mushroom for the Vario upper mount.

Not quite what you're talking about, I know, but I'd think it would be easy to adapt something like that to 3rd-party hard cases as well. Now that the 2013 models come with the Vario rack as standard, I'd expect to see someone start making these for sale. (Mine will be a one-off).

Old thread I know. Did you ever build your vario soft rack adapter. I have some ideas myself, but don't want to weld. I believe I can bolt something up and cover it with an aluminium plate.
chris73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:51 PM   #512
sturgeon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris73 View Post
Old thread I know. Did you ever build your vario soft rack adapter. I have some ideas myself, but don't want to weld. I believe I can bolt something up and cover it with an aluminium plate.
Not yet. Other life events mean it's on the back burner for now. I'm also not a welder, but I have a friend who does beautiful work. What I/we have in mind is pretty simple. Two tabs at the bottom to hook over the bottom Vario rail, and one at the top to bolt on where the 'mushroom' is attached, holding a rectangular hoop of tubular stainless.

Dyslexics untie!
Old 07-08-2013, 10:36 AM   #513
hwa
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Yep, that looks like Wolfman. Thanks, GeeK_InsiDe!

Ciao,
hwa

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeK_InsiDe View Post
Looks like the Wolfman ones...

http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/
hwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:28 PM   #514
chris73
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgeon View Post
Not yet. Other life events mean it's on the back burner for now. I'm also not a welder, but I have a friend who does beautiful work. What I/we have in mind is pretty simple. Two tabs at the bottom to hook over the bottom Vario rail, and one at the top to bolt on where the 'mushroom' is attached, holding a rectangular hoop of tubular stainless.

Dyslexics untie!
Exactly what I had in mind. Great minds think alike. I'm going to bolt a set up this week if wifey will allow it. Gonna use angle iron, some square tube and an aluminium plate. All bolted. I'm shooting to replicate the kriega adventure platform. With rotopax mounts on both sided. I will then strap wolfman bags and rox strap a couple dry bags to the top of them. This will be very modular. I love the look of the bike without bags and with the vario racks. Plus they came with the bike. I really like the vario bags for day to day town use and such. Then when it's time to hit the bush or take the cook on a trip, I can put the home made racks one water rotopak, one gas rotopak with wolfmade medium duffle on the luggage rack. I will also put them on with no bags when I go offroading to protect the tank and plastics.
chris73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:08 PM   #515
sturgeon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris73 View Post
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=19
Old 08-21-2013, 12:31 PM   #516
AK Smitty
AK Smitty

Oddometer: 312
Changing side set up on F800GS

I know about ever question here has been asked on side cases but I like answers specifically for me!

I have the BMW aluminum pannier set up. I crasehed in Guatemala and they have never been totally square since. Still waterproof and one broken palstic piece that is replacable. Also after some off road drops they tweak a little more each time. I dont expect the cases to be crash proof but these seem to bend easy.

My issues with my BMW cases are this:

1. They are easily tweaked or bent. Able to be bent back but never really the same.

2. They are too damn WIDE!

I am looking for something a little more durable and more narrow with similar capacity. My bars are 36" wide and I would like to be near or less than that for lane splitting out of the country.

Right now I am looking at the Jesse 9" Safari. I have heard they are more durable and they are spec'd at 35" wide.

My concerns with them are: similar ground clearance to my current cases? I want that for dirt and I don't want them to drag in corners like the long rectangular pelican cases do on some bikes.

No place for hooks or straps on the top? I can easily add this but I am surprised they are not there? or are they?

Are they a little tougher than the BMW cases?

Any input is appreciated. Convince me and for sale soon some used BMW cases!!!

Thx
AK Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:38 AM   #517
B_C_Ries
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,482
What is the height and length of varios? and the BMW adventure panniers? There is really good information about width here but height and length also matter,
B_C_Ries is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:28 PM   #518
TBickell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
I love my Jesse's !

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Smitty View Post
I know about ever question here has been asked on side cases but I like answers specifically for me!

I have the BMW aluminum pannier set up. I crasehed in Guatemala and they have never been totally square since. Still waterproof and one broken palstic piece that is replacable. Also after some off road drops they tweak a little more each time. I dont expect the cases to be crash proof but these seem to bend easy.

My issues with my BMW cases are this:

1. They are easily tweaked or bent. Able to be bent back but never really the same.

2. They are too damn WIDE!

I am looking for something a little more durable and more narrow with similar capacity. My bars are 36" wide and I would like to be near or less than that for lane splitting out of the country.

Right now I am looking at the Jesse 9" Safari. I have heard they are more durable and they are spec'd at 35" wide.

My concerns with them are: similar ground clearance to my current cases? I want that for dirt and I don't want them to drag in corners like the long rectangular pelican cases do on some bikes.

No place for hooks or straps on the top? I can easily add this but I am surprised they are not there? or are they?

Are they a little tougher than the BMW cases?

Any input is appreciated. Convince me and for sale soon some used BMW cases!!!

Thx
I have the Safari's and I really like them on my 800. They are about 35 inches wide but they don't look it. The quality of the mounting pieces and the bags are very very solid and while they have not been crash tested yet I know they will hold up better than the BMW Vario bags that came with the bike. Those broke after one get off. I ride with guys that have the BMW hard cases on their bikes and they all want to switch to the Jesse's after they see mine. I picked mine up at the Jesse factory here in the Phoenix area ( where I live) and installed the racks myself. Can't say that it was hard but it's a full afternoon and a 6 pack as I remember. They are water-proof and I have tested that feature many time. The design of the inner top part of the bag is great and holds clothes or just about anything with the racks that come with.

It's a great product.. made totally here in the USA and backed my a good guy who owns and runs the small company.( altho they are moving to a bigger building so they must be doing well)

Just my .02
TBickell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:32 PM   #519
AK Smitty
AK Smitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBickell View Post
I have the Safari's and I really like them on my 800. They are about 35 inches wide but they don't look it. The quality of the mounting pieces and the bags are very very solid and while they have not been crash tested yet I know they will hold up better than the BMW Vario bags that came with the bike. Those broke after one get off. I ride with guys that have the BMW hard cases on their bikes and they all want to switch to the Jesse's after they see mine. I picked mine up at the Jesse factory here in the Phoenix area ( where I live) and installed the racks myself. Can't say that it was hard but it's a full afternoon and a 6 pack as I remember. They are water-proof and I have tested that feature many time. The design of the inner top part of the bag is great and holds clothes or just about anything with the racks that come with.

It's a great product.. made totally here in the USA and backed my a good guy who owns and runs the small company.( altho they are moving to a bigger building so they must be doing well)

Just my .02
Thx man thats the first testimonial from someone with them on an 800 GS that I have heard first hand. I didn't realize that they were in the PHX area. Sounds like a great excuse for me to ride from TN to PHX and leave the bike at one its many homes around the US.

Are you riding much off road with them? Cornering aggressively? I assume my center stand will continue to drag long before the Jesse bags.

Thx again
Later
Old 11-03-2013, 10:45 PM   #520
J&K
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Smitty
While attending Rawhydes riding school in September I talked with all the guys there who had Jessie's. A lot of them are serious off-road guys. Everyone I talked to said they had other brands and switched to Jessie's for durability reasons. I know when I go pickup my bike in a couple of months I will be stopping by and picking up some new safari panniers. Good luck with your decisions.
2014 Ktm 1190 R adventure
2003 Ural
J&K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:06 PM   #521
TBickell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Smitty View Post
Thx man thats the first testimonial from someone with them on an 800 GS that I have heard first hand. I didn't realize that they were in the PHX area. Sounds like a great excuse for me to ride from TN to PHX and leave the bike at one its many homes around the US.

Are you riding much off road with them? Cornering aggressively? I assume my center stand will continue to drag long before the Jesse bags.

Thx again
Later
I do ride my 800GS off road aggressively and I have dumped it once ( just remembered) with the Jesse's on and there was no sign of impact. I think it's a great product and highly back them. There is an off chance that I may sell my bike and if I do I will sell those separately so keep watching the flea market..
TBickell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:57 PM   #522
bearforce1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Help, Panniers?

Hi there,

I am taking a round the world trip. I am buying my bike, F 800 GS Adventure, new in South Africa where I will be starting. I am planning to spend a lot of time off road. I won't be going racing off road, simply getting from A to B seeing the world as I go by. This is to say I am not buying a YZ and so will not be riding like I am on a YZ.

I have sweet FA experience with this type of riding.

I like the idea of hard panniers a top box and a large dry/duffle bag across pillion and panniers. I also now like the tank panniers.

I am going to be travelling for years. I like the idea of making life easy, packing easy, access easy, clip on and off and also lock up and walking away from the bike.

I am tossing up between the Jesse or Pelican. Aluminium and plastic do seem to have advantages. I now people like the touratech panniers too but the jesse's seem better to me????????

A lot of people say hard panniers cause more damage to the hard boxes, the pannier frames, the bike frame and the rider than soft panniers. People seem to suggest that coming off with Jesse or pelicans that this is not so much of an issue.

The Adventure already has racks and how does this complicate or make things easier? Are there systems available that utilise the factory racks or do you remove the factory racks and install new racks.

I will be using these things full time on my trip so I am happy to spend what is necessary for the best solution.

Any advice or recommendations would be welcome.

thanks heaps
bearforce1
bearforce1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 12:16 AM   #523
AK Smitty
AK Smitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBickell View Post
I do ride my 800GS off road aggressively and I have dumped it once ( just remembered) with the Jesse's on and there was no sign of impact. I think it's a great product and highly back them. There is an off chance that I may sell my bike and if I do I will sell those separately so keep watching the flea market..
PM sent. Just email me when you are ready to sell. Dont trust these other sketchy ADV guys I am a good home for your cases haha.

Thanks for the input.
Old 11-16-2013, 03:20 PM   #524
Singletrack_mind
Cave Man

Oddometer: 362
Jessie Safari IIs on the F800GS

Funny, I looked up this thread today specifically to voice some experience with the Jessie Safari II bags, and here are several inmates talking about them. Good timing I guess.

I will agree that they are very well made. I didn't like the idea of having big fat boxes on my bike, so I figured at least I could get ones that were built to a standard I could appreciate, and these are. I see no obvious weaknesses. Excellent craftsmanship, good finishes, quality hardware. The frames mounted to the bike really nicely. The bags are very tough, I wouldn't hesitate to mount tie-downs or other hardware to them wherever they might be needed. There is a lot of clearance for trailside obstacles (although I use soft bags in dirt) and they are not going to touch down in hard cornering. I can drag my center stand in corners and the bags are not an issue. The company was willing to make mine without the graphics stickers shown on the website, which I appreciated.

However, if I were to buy hard bags again, I might buy something else. Why? Three things:

I picked them for their good volume in a comparatively narrow design*; The trade off is that they are both long and tall. They are several inches taller than the seat and even my rear rack, so putting anything across the tops would be less convenient, but mainly I just kick them a lot getting on and off the bike. I also thought I was going to be willing to live with the complex interior shape of the bags as a small price to pay for having them tucked in as close as possible, but in real life I find that it really does hinder loading them as compared to simple rectangular boxes.

The second thing I have been disapointed with is the mounting system. I had understood that removing the bags would be a simple matter of folding out the crank on the top mount and loosening it up, then un-hooking the bags from the frames. In fact, I had a lot of trouble even getting the bags mounted until I had a conversation with Al Jessie and he explained that all the bolts on the lower black nylon mount had to be loosened substantially in order for the top of the bag to swing in close enough to the rack to engage the top clamp. Unfortunately this routine has to be followed to remove or reposition the bags as well, so taking the bags off the bike is not a simple tool-free process; it's a lengthy endeavor turning wrenches down inside the bags, and then requires re-aligning them when you put them back on since the lower mount has been loosened up. The powdercoated racks have been badly scarred up trying to force the upper clamps to engage too, so those will be rusting soon. This is a major disappointment, since I really didn't want to have giant bags on my bike all the time and the Jessies' system looked like it was going to be easy to remove & replace.

Last, they are not water-proof. I've never had a set of hard bags that was, but I had hoped these might be. Just as an example I rode home in 20 minutes of heavy rain last night and there was water standing 1" deep in the lower forward corners of the boxes afterward.

So, that's my experience with the bags so far. I'm keeping them, I bought them because I need them, and I may yet figure out some system of spacers that allows the top latch to work the way I want it to so I can remove and replace the bags conveniently, but If I'd known these things before I bought them I would have chosen something less expensive.

*(BTW: the chart of bag widths at the start of this thread has them listed at 33" wide, Al Jesse says this is the GS1200 model Safari, not the 800 model, which is 35" wide)
Singletrack_mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 03:55 PM   #525
moulin6801
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Thanks for the the feed back. I thought about getting one of them eventually, because I want something not as wide as BMW EOM, but Jessie looks too long... Not water tightf?! BMW's are 100% water tight !!
moulin6801 is offline   Reply With Quote