Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2006, 08:01 PM   #181
Norman Foley
Devotee of the Husqvarna

Oddometer: 278
Also if you go to the '01 TE610E manual and look at head light with H4 bulb it becomes obvious that the '06 TE610 60/55w is not an H4. The '06 TE250/450/510 with 35/35w bulb share the same part # for lens and reflector as '06 TE610 (8000875). Headlight masks are the same also, but drawings look different.

Make Haste, Slowly
Norman Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 06:16 AM   #182
BigDogAdventures OP
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,646
Dirt Bagz Mounting Details

Heres some details of how I made the Honda brackets work on my 610 to mount my Dirt Bagz. Dirt Bagz sent me a set of mounts for an XR650L and I modified them.

Here is the right bracket finished and mounted. I bolted it to the "inner" side of the subframe after re-drilling the hole just about 3/8" higher. The front mount had to be extended about 3 inches. I fabricated some metal, welded her up with my wire welder.

Here is the left bracket completed and mounted. I mounted the top to the "outer" side of the subframe which required I drill a 3/4" hole in the left side cover--no biggy. I added some tubing to this bracket so as to make sure the bagz stayed off the muffler. Just as I had to on the right bracket---I had to extend the frame work about 3" to mount to the lower subframe bolt. Note I removed all traces of the rear footpegs and mounts.

Here is a shot under the fender so you can see I mounted the right one to the inner side of the subframe and the left one to the outer side.

And a rear shot after all is done. I may just simply push (bend) the brackets in a little to narrow things up a little more--but I am very happy with my installation.

I've put quite a few miles on it now and just about have the rear tire wore out. Notice I narrowed up the rear turn signals by removing that spacer block on the turn signal stems. My left turn signal shows no sign of melting but I think I will attach a small piece of metal to the muffler to make sure this isn't a problem.

sTE610vE-------thanks for the photo of the touratech enduro 2 tailbag--I think I just may have to have one.

I have got it now where I can adventure tour for days very easily if I motel it. I don't carry any street clothes at all as I spend all waking hours riding till its time to sleep----this cuts down on the bulk tremendously----the only clothes I carry are riding gear---layering up or down for different temperatures. I don't need extra shoes as I'll be riding all day---my moto boots will be fine for what very little walking I will be doing. But I really think I can squeeze my lightweight campng gear on here too.
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.

BigDogAdventures screwed with this post 01-18-2006 at 10:30 AM
BigDogAdventures is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 11:43 AM   #183
tonymorr
Malta,NY(Saratoga Spring)

Oddometer: 2,450
Lots of talk about fuel capacity.....

Have you guys considered one of these?

The thing that looks like a bedroll is a 2 gallon aux tank. I'm considering adding one of these with a quick disconect. Won't disturb the look of the stock tank, which I kinda like.
tonymorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 11:48 AM   #184
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,418
Got more info? a website?
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 12:12 PM   #185
tonymorr
Malta,NY(Saratoga Spring)

Oddometer: 2,450
Linky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford
Got more info? a website?
Sorry, I should know better than to leave you guys hanging like that .... http://www.tourtank.com/tourtank20.html

I actually found it while searching around here. There are some threads about it. Search tourtank and auxiliary. This would bring the capacity up to nearly 5.5. gallons. Should provide a minimum of 220 mile range.
tonymorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 02:22 PM   #186
Ergo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 805
Thumb Increasing range...

Baja Designs (and others) make really cool side plate fuel tanks (1.5gal) for KTM MXC/EXC's (Orange or black) and Yamaha YZF's (Blue or black) and others...wonder if they are adaptable to others like the Husky TE 610??

Bonus: They drain automatically (gravity and a fuel line) when installed.

http://www.BajaDesigns.com

People that use them say they completely forget it's there when riding!
Old 01-18-2006, 06:08 PM   #187
sTE610vE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,855
Hey Mark,
Thanks for the pics, it looks like a real clean install, might be one of those in my future!

The touratech enduro 2 fit's on the rear rack of the TE610E's like it was made for it. They make two versions the enduro 1 and enduro 2, the 2 is expandable in height by another 1.25 + inches, I think it is worth the extra 15 bucks. The pics I posted are of the un-expanded height, I save the extra height for extra space that might be needed on the ride.

The link is www.touratech-usa.com then under catalog, luggage & panniers, tank and tail bags and down about halfway on the page.

Keep us posted on your new bike, I've had my Husky for about two and a half years now and it has been a great bike, it always draws interest where ever riders gather. I think it's the best kept secret in the dualsport world.....although threads like this are going to change that!
Steve
Cagiva Gran Canyon
sTE610vE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 09:57 PM   #188
Seb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Fueltank

Here's another one I found here down under...

http://www.mcas.com.au/product.php?s...=2&prodid=2577
Attached Images

Old 01-18-2006, 09:59 PM   #189
Seb
Adventurer

Question Manual

I downloaded the manual from the Husky website, but it says to 2004. Is this still the current one applicable to the 2006?
Old 01-19-2006, 05:15 AM   #190
BigDogAdventures OP
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,646
Trans-Am-Trail

After pretty much getting this bike set up the way I want it---and it turning out to be the bike I had hoped it would be----I'm getting the fever to start putting plans together to finish the Trans-Am trail on it. I've rode the Kentucky, Tennessee, Mississippi and Arkansas portions but need to go all the way to the coast on my next ride. I think I will start at the Oregon Coast and ride it all the way East to the Arkansas border in which I will leave the trail and back road it back to my home in Southern, Illinois. Sam Correro's maps navigate East to West--but I always make GPS files out of his maps and leave them at home--that way I can run it whatever direction I want to. I had planned on doing this on a DRZ400S as I wanted to ride something lighter and more offroad worthy than my beloved KLR or 950---but I think the Husky is the ticket now
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.

BigDogAdventures screwed with this post 01-19-2006 at 05:23 AM
BigDogAdventures is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 05:31 AM   #191
starsvw
dreaming the dream.....

Oddometer: 64
I shall be anticipating the report!
starsvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 05:37 AM   #192
Mudhen
Foul Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com
I had planned on doing this on a DRZ400S as I wanted to ride something lighter and more offroad worthy than my beloved KLR or 950---but I think the Husky is the ticket now
One sentence that says it all. Looks like the 610 is my next bike
Mudhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 07:39 PM   #193
yater
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,517
BigDog....I always carry a pair of el cheapo ($3) flipflops because they are so light and take up very little space. Surely you'll need to go out for a bite to eat or something at some point. Flipflops work great
yater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 07:42 PM   #194
yater
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com
After pretty much getting this bike set up the way I want it---and it turning out to be the bike I had hoped it would be----I'm getting the fever to start putting plans together to finish the Trans-Am trail on it. I've rode the Kentucky, Tennessee, Mississippi and Arkansas portions but need to go all the way to the coast on my next ride. I think I will start at the Oregon Coast and ride it all the way East to the Arkansas border in which I will leave the trail and back road it back to my home in Southern, Illinois. Sam Correro's maps navigate East to West--but I always make GPS files out of his maps and leave them at home--that way I can run it whatever direction I want to. I had planned on doing this on a DRZ400S as I wanted to ride something lighter and more offroad worthy than my beloved KLR or 950---but I think the Husky is the ticket now
When do you plan to do this ride? Are you going to slab it to Oregon to begin the trail? I guess an unlimited mileage rental truck would work? How much time are you going to allow for the ride?
yater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 09:30 PM   #195
Seb
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb
Here's another one I found here down under...

http://www.mcas.com.au/product.php?s...=2&prodid=2577
I did a search on 'Bumtank" and found this review:

On the weekend of the 3rd and 4th of January, Steve, (Coqued) and I joined eight other riders on a trip from Mt Buller to Bright. Going the long way around on the Saturday saw us riding approximately 220 klms. To accommodate fuel I bought a second hand rear tank called a "Bumtank". Dave, (Drs70), the previous owner, assures me that it came with a T piece, a tap, clamps and hose. All that was left for me to do was drill two holes in the rear guard, mount the tank, clip the straps on and route the fuel line. Dave installed a quick release coupling so that the tank can be removed without removing all the fuel line up to the bikes tank.

The Bumtank holds 5 litres when it's filled to the brim. And therein lies its only fault. All bikes lean on their stand to the left hand side. So why put the filler hole on the left hand side. If you filled the tank up with the bike on its side stand, then the tank would hold half a litre less, as the fuel comes up to the filler hole on the low side of the tank. The missing half litre could mean you run out of fuel 20k's short of home. If the filler hole was on the right hand side of the tank, on the high side with the bike on its stand, then it's up to the rider to allow some room for when the bike is level.

The reason that the tank needs a bit of air space is that the people at Bumtank have decided to go with a cap that has a breather hole and not an over flow tube. Any pressure on the top of the tank when its full, squeezes the top down, producing a little fountain of fuel to soak into your clothing as you stand next to your bike. The only consideration for the filler hole not to be on the right hand side of the tank is that the manufacturers might be concerned about fuel dripping onto a hot muffler. Considering that every bikes main tank filler hole is over an even hotter header pipe, I don't understand the Bumtank design.

Apart from the above gripe, I thought the Bumtank was a great accessory. When riding, I was aware of the extra 3.5 kilos of weight on the rear but it was not a concern for the bikes handling. Petrol weighs 700 grams per litre.
There were different theories on which tank to use first. The rough terrain sloshed fuel out of the Bumtank cap and the main tank over flow tube when both tanks were full, so I found that its best to use a little from both to start with to get the levels down, then it didn't matter too much, which one I drained first. However I did drain the rear tank first to reduce the weight on the rear.

Steve's Nomad Tank looks like it came out of the same mould except that it doesn't have "Bumtank" moulded into the top of it. The Bumtank came with all the fittings to plumb the fuel into the carbie. The Nomad came with all of the fittings except the tap. The tap is required so that fuel does not flow back into the main tank. Steve tried to buy a tap from bike shops, mower shops and hydroponic shops and all of them could supply him with rocking horse shit but none of them had fuel taps. Eventually Modac in Elizabeth St sold him a tap that is usually fitted to an old Pommy road bike. The tap cost $35.
The Nomad is advertised as having a 4.5 litre capacity, although it appears to be the same size as the Bumtank which definitely holds 5 litres. Steve rides a 450 KTM and said that the handling was noticeably impaired with the extra weight on the back. His fuel hose was routed high, causing the tank not to empty. So a point to remember is to run your fuel hose low on the bike.

Which one is better? They are both the same price at $180. The Nomad has an overflow tube and the Bumtank comes with a tap. They both come in black or translucent white - the white being easier to see fuel levels. Either of them are a good investment.