Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > EMEA
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2013, 09:48 AM   #46
DarkLeftArm
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Hey everybody. My name is Bert, and I'm an addict.
I've only been on 2 wheels for 3 years now, but I have ridden quite a lot in that time. Riding seems to be all I think about any more. It was on one of my cross country rides that I came up with the idea of going to the UK to witness the Tourist Trophy races on the Isle of Man. I decided my 2012 Super Tenere was the bike I was going to ship, and started looking for a way to transport it.
The longer I looked into shipping, the more expensive and complicated it became. Renting a bike also looked prohibitively expensive. Middleweight dual sports without any luggage showed up at about $1000 USD a week. Thought briefly about shipping a bike that was very desirable and hard to find in the UK, ie: Harley Davidson or even a new Indian and selling it there. Nope. Cant sell a bike in the UK. Then I started searching forums(shoulda done that first!). Started reading about all the cost and red tape, plus some folks have had damage to their bikes, and rust issues from sea air exposure. I started on my Super Tenere forum, and somebody sent me here. After reading awhile, I became an inmate.
You see, they introduced me to Martin Hurley, otherwise known as Wheat Whacker. His business is Motofeirme, and he ROCKS.
If you've read this thread this far down, you are familiar with the drill.
donedeal.ie is the place to look.
I looked for quite a while before I found the right(I hope) ride for me. A 1998 Honda NT 650. The Deauville. Known as "the Dull ville"! I love it. A shaft drive mini Gold Wing with a reputation for a bulletproof drivetrain. It came with heated grips, hand protectors, lots of wind protection, A 12 volt outlet, new exhaust system, and 3 locking hard cases. The only thing it needs is a new rear tire. All this for $2400 USD. Many of the Vstroms and Transalps I saw were double that or more, and no luggage. I know I could spend 2 grand on hard panniers. Hell, I got a whole bike for that!
So... Long story longer, Martin has my new ride in his garage now. He's going to wire it to accept a battery tender, and arrange to have his freelance mechanic install a new tire.
I won't get to see it for quite a while, since I'm not going until next May. Plenty of time to make plans.
I intend to spend about 40 days, starting in Ireland, then 12 night's camping on IOM. After that, on to England, up through Scotland, and on to Shetland Island where there is a big motorcycle rally each year called Simmer Dim. Here's a link: http://www.simmerdimrally.com/ Then back down to Liverpool and a ferry to Dublin. Hopefully I can sell the bike, or Martin can help me sell it. But if it doesn't sell, I can walk away from it for less money and hassle that shipping my own bike.
That's my story, and I'm stickin to it.

Martin-- I can't wait to buy you a few pints.
DarkLeftArm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 02:48 AM   #47
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLeftArm View Post
But if it doesn't sell, I can walk away from it for less money and hassle that shipping my own bike.
BTDT - just gave my Euro bike away this past July. It was a 1993 Suzuki GSX1100G with US plates & 83,000+ miles. It had a very limited audience as it was US registered, and shipping it back was more than the bike was worth.

A young USAF SSgt became the new owner. I'm now semi looking for a more dirt-friendly bike to stash.
Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:03 AM   #48
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,569
I'm loving this thread and all the good info.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:44 AM   #49
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,861
Interesting

I thought maybe there would be a decent bike that one inmate could sell to another. Sort of a revolving door of owners for a travel ready ride.

Is there a specific month that people are done with their trips? That would be a good time for the next inmate to put the funds down for the next seasons trip and a travel ready bike that is already in your shop ;-)

Personally, I won't get 3 weeks off from my job to go riding (seriously, there would have to be a death in the family or something catastrophic like that to get approval). So I am right at the breakpoint at 2 weeks. However, if I knew that I could buy a bike for $2000 and sell it after my 2 week trip for $1500, I might still go this route. I would not be trying to make money, just trying to cut my losses.

I really like the idea of this travel service. A few years ago (OK many) when I looked into renting a bike in Ireland, the rental place in the North didn't want you to travel south and the rental place in the south didn't want you to travel north.
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:49 AM   #50
wheatwhacker OP
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkMoneyLove View Post
I thought maybe there would be a decent bike that one inmate could sell to another. Sort of a revolving door of owners for a travel ready ride.

Is there a specific month that people are done with their trips? That would be a good time for the next inmate to put the funds down for the next seasons trip and a travel ready bike that is already in your shop ;-)

Personally, I won't get 3 weeks off from my job to go riding (seriously, there would have to be a death in the family or something catastrophic like that to get approval). So I am right at the breakpoint at 2 weeks. However, if I knew that I could buy a bike for $2000 and sell it after my 2 week trip for $1500, I might still go this route. I would not be trying to make money, just trying to cut my losses.

I really like the idea of this travel service. A few years ago (OK many) when I looked into renting a bike in Ireland, the rental place in the North didn't want you to travel south and the rental place in the south didn't want you to travel north.
There are all sort of situations. We traded one bike 3 times and many twice between inmates.
What I do have right now for sale is a nice SV 650 belong to an inmate here.
It's the naked version and ready to roll.
If your happy paying 1500 euro, and possibly selling for a little less after 2 weeks it would make for a cheap vacay.
Old 11-15-2013, 02:15 PM   #51
tekebird
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Question

Wheatwacker, what's your annual storage?
tekebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 02:28 PM   #52
wheatwhacker OP
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekebird View Post
Wheatwacker, what's your annual storage?
We charge 300 Euro/year for storage.
This includes a regular start, battery tender hook up.
The barn is fully insulated so there is no fear of rusting due to condensation.
The barn is secure and I live on the property.
We also offer airport /bus pickup.

I am in the process of building a new lean to to house riders whilst they are here so hopefully by spring it should be completed.
The more support I get in this venture, the more successful it will be for both me and the riders who avail of this service.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:04 AM   #53
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJ View Post
BTDT - just gave my Euro bike away this past July. It was a 1993 Suzuki GSX1100G with US plates & 83,000+ miles. It had a very limited audience as it was US registered, and shipping it back was more than the bike was worth.

A young USAF SSgt became the new owner. I'm now semi looking for a more dirt-friendly bike to stash.
We're on the same page Michael. Traded mine to Stefan in exchange for two way shipping of the next. Will you be at the AR meet in 2014?

Paul
Old 11-16-2013, 07:29 AM   #54
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadscum View Post
We're on the same page Michael. Traded mine to Stefan in exchange for two way shipping of the next. Will you be at the AR meet in 2014?
Crap! I never considered that. Oh well...

2014's major ride will probably be out west again. The IBA International Meet is in Denver in mid August, and I'll probably head for Cal and the PNW from there.

Looking at Glitch's pics with the haze-free skies makes me want to do a September Alps ride vs. July.

But ya never know. I'm trying to talk my kids into riding down to The Barber in the late May - early June timeframe while I still have the VStrom available for my younger son to ride.
Old 11-16-2013, 03:01 PM   #55
GiorgioXT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJ View Post
I'm now semi looking for a more dirt-friendly bike to stash.
Currently I got more bikes than I could possible ride...if you like NE Italy (Padova) as a starting point (and don't mind riding old wrecks) I could surely arrange something - also I got a friend that want to sell his '98 Transalp ....

(I really don't like Transalps - but are sturdy well built bikes)
DRZ400 S '03 XT600 '90 XT550 '82 XT500 '81 - giorgioxt@email.it - www.polverosi.org - EchM#645
"se sei incerto tieni APERTO !
GiorgioXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 02:50 AM   #56
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiorgioXT View Post
..if you like NE Italy
Io sono quasi Friulan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiorgioXT View Post
...and don't mind riding old wrecks)
Old wreck - that describes me pretty well

The issue, Giorgio, is registering the bike. Not having a legal presence in Italy makes it difficult.

Now that I have a new bike ('13 Tiger Explorer) my '03 VStrom 1000 has become "extra". I may ship it over and store it either in Germany or Milano for a few years.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:52 PM   #57
derideon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Just had my 60th birthday and my present from my wife was some maps of Ireland so I searched up buying a bike in Ireland which brought up this page in good ol ADVrider. PERFECT! I'll be following this page,your facebook page and done deal and hopefully this May we'll be having a beer to working together
derideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:00 PM   #58
sailer
trained Cirus Bear

Oddometer: 796
plan a trip to watch the TT next year had plan to ship bikes over by shipping container, (there are 6 of us) but this changes everything.

let me talk to the guys and I will reach out
Old 11-24-2013, 03:35 PM   #59
Ken Fritz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,004
best deal: Wheatwhacker

Shameless plug for Martin:
We just did another fine trip on the '03 Honda Varadero he helped us buy near Cork. The bike hasn't missed a beat and it was very affordable. In 2013 we rode through 11 countries; 4300 miles of heavenly riding over 6 weeks. In 2012 it was 6100 miles through 5 countries. 2014 will find us riding in ????

Shameless plug for the Sunrise B&B near Kinsale - great lodging, friendly people, good food and very quiet with safe parking for a very reasonable price.
Ken Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 01:54 AM   #60
daze55556
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Hi all just another plug for Martin and his services.

It is fair to say I haven't been the easiest person for
Martin to deal with having be extremely indecisive throughout mainly because this is my first trip of this type.

Martin has been extremely patient throughout and has helped me beyond anything I could have expected.

He does charge, but for the service he offers it is cheap. The bike I happened to buy was delivered back to his shed by the previous owner so he got me on facetime on the phone and walked me around the bike, started it and rode it around his yard! There is no way could buy with the confidence I did without Martin's help.

He goes above and beyond what you would expect and you can tell he has a real love of helping people get on the road

Now I just can't wait to get on the road!
daze55556 is offline   Reply With Quote