Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2013, 03:13 PM   #166
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,568
I just installed a front 90/90 21. It replaced a Scorpion Trail MT. The Pirelli was a knobby looking tire, not the more street looking one. It was an excellent tire. I'm not sure if they still make it. Anyway my first thought after the Annakee was mounted was, "That's a really skinny tire." It's the proper size, but I've never looked at any of the other tires I've had mounted and thought it was super skinny. The Anakee looks skinny.

I just got back from a little 130 mile jaunt and noticed no increase in noise over the Scorp. I didn't notice any tire noise at all. Don't know what's going on with the folks that hear loud noises from the Anakee 3.
"If I was in a hurry, I'd left earlier."
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:53 AM   #167
apollomission19
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
I did install too yesterday my new Anakee 3 or Anakee III as I like to call them.

Curious about the noise thing because they are absolutely quiet and that was something that I notice today getting out of my garage.

My old Bridgestone TW 47 and 48 were very noise in the garage and on the road. This Anakee 3 are amazing in terms of noise but I only ride'em for like 40 kms now.

They are skinny tires true. My 2001 Honda Transalp 650 has a 90-90 R21 in front and 120-90 R17 in da back.

The front tire... wow thin! Skinny skinny! The rear one, well, it's more or less normal, but since I had a 140 on the back, this one looks like half of tire.

Anyway, the ride is so much more comfortable with Anakee 3 than my TW's and I'm going to drive them offroad tomorrow or next week and let you all know about it.

Take a look at some pictures I took today. They show how thin they are but also how big those cuts are and that proves they are not street oriented tires. Those are trail tires to me.

apollomission19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:54 AM   #168
apollomission19
Adventurer

Rear Anakee 3

"Tubeless - on tube type rim fit a tube" and my Transalp has a tube cause this are not tubeless rim's.

Got more pictures at http://s1262.photobucket.com/user/ap...ion19/library/
Old 08-24-2013, 11:08 AM   #169
apollomission19
Adventurer

Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFlagg42 View Post
For those who are interested, here is a blog entry from an individual who has put over 7,000 miles of mostly highway miles on a set of Anakee 3s, including pictures of the tread (which looks great, but notice he runs his tire pressure pretty high). He rode a GSA in the Iron Butt Rally in 2011 using Anakee 2s.

His comments:
The blog does not exists in that link but this is the correct

http://hardtxrider.blogspot.pt/2013/...-anakee-3.html
Old 08-24-2013, 01:40 PM   #170
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,927
Somewhat of a cross post since there are multiple threads in different forums on these tires:
Just mounted A3s 3 weeks ago. 2007 R1200GSA
Went on a 2 week, 7k mile trip. all surfaces (good road, bad road, gravel, hardpack, a little mud), all weather; below freezing to 107*, heavy rain, sun, etc...
They still have a ton of life in them and performed perfectly...well, except in the mud.

They are F'ing loud though. Not a little loud but a lot. Even over earplugs. I usually ride with my XD4's shield open during the day but had to close it to not get a headache. Now when it comes time for new, it's going to be tough.

I figure I have at least 3k more miles unless they wear fast in the end.
Old 08-24-2013, 01:45 PM   #171
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by trc.rhubarb View Post
Somewhat of a cross post since there are multiple threads in different forums on these tires:
Just mounted A3s 3 weeks ago. 2007 R1200GSA
Went on a 2 week, 7k mile trip. all surfaces (good road, bad road, gravel, hardpack, a little mud), all weather; below freezing to 107*, heavy rain, sun, etc...
They still have a ton of life in them and performed perfectly...well, except in the mud.

They are F'ing loud though. Not a little loud but a lot. Even over earplugs. I usually ride with my XD4's shield open during the day but had to close it to not get a headache. Now when it comes time for new, it's going to be tough.

I figure I have at least 3k more miles unless they wear fast in the end.
Weird why some are loud and some aren't? Wonder if it's tubes vs tubeless. Mine are quiet on my Tiger 800XC running tubes. I'm assuming you're tubeless on your GSA? Maybe the tubes act as sound dampers or something. Where's a sound engineer when you need one.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 01:53 PM   #172
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Ya, at first they sounded like sticky offroad truck tires which seemed cool
Then it turned into a really loud howl/scream.
As they wear the sound pitch has changed but for the first few days, I almost paused my trip to put on new tires... it was that bad.
Old 08-24-2013, 03:43 PM   #173
apollomission19
Adventurer

My Translp too has tubes cause my rim is not tubeless. And as I said before, they are so quiet, really don't know how you can say they are loud!
Maybe tubeless are bit louder, never had tubeless.
Even on my garage where the floor is some kind of weird concrete, my TW47/48 usually made a bit noise, and the Anakee so smooth I can't believe it!
Loving them mucho mucho mucho!
Old 08-24-2013, 03:56 PM   #174
apollomission19
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbtw View Post
Put it on one week a go and only done our local "twisties" (called dikes ;)) They feel about the same as the old anakees 2's on pavement.

However what i was not to happy about was the amount of effort to get them on the F800GS's 21 inch front wheel. Serously had to manhandle the fitting machine to make it work. Took a hour and 30 minutes and 3 people to get it to stick (with inner tubes). No scratches or dings but i fear i might have to remove it with a saw!
Curious... the guy who put my tires on my Transalp 21" front wheel, have much more work on the 21 than the 17". It looked really hard to put. He used some wood hammer and more tools. I was worried lol
Old 08-24-2013, 04:08 PM   #175
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by apollomission19 View Post
My Translp too has tubes cause my rim is not tubeless. And as I said before, they are so quiet, really don't know how you can say they are loud!
Maybe tubeless are bit louder, never had tubeless.
Even on my garage where the floor is some kind of weird concrete, my TW47/48 usually made a bit noise, and the Anakee so smooth I can't believe it!
Loving them mucho mucho mucho!
They aren't loud at 5mph, they are loud between 40-80mph.
Different tire size may have different harmonics.
Old 08-25-2013, 02:37 AM   #176
McBoab
Fast side of farty

Oddometer: 271
Just had a set fitted to my XT1200. I'm about 100miles in so early days and as I came from a set of K60s they obviously feel superb. I'd agree on they do look narrow though again my comparison is with the previous K60s which I suspect look large in the stock sizes. Noise wise I think they aren't the quietest tyres but they are soothing compared to the tractor /knackered final drive noises the K60s made.
Old 09-01-2013, 07:29 AM   #177
scottie.holmes
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Laugh I love them!!!

My 2012 GSA came with A2 so I was surprised when arrived @ Dennis Kirk and found they were now A3!!! When I picked them up was surprised by the tire tread. Installed to the first rear and ran 3k miles and loved it so much I replaced the front and the rear with A3 prior to the MOA. Ran 4500 miles to the MOA and back on mostly paved roads, but did some single track stuff in Colorado and some off road in North Dakota. Made the trip fully loaded with gear and had some super hot riding days at times over 80 mph.

Not a ton of off road, no mud, but with over 7k on this set and still lots of tread left I love them. No doubt my next tires will be A3 again.
scottie.holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:04 AM   #178
Dubl-A
DS Junkie

Oddometer: 1,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by apollomission19 View Post
Rear Anakee 3

"Tubeless - on tube type rim fit a tube" and my Transalp has a tube cause this are not tubeless rim's.

Got more pictures at http://s1262.photobucket.com/user/ap...ion19/library/
That looks slippery!!!
Dubl-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:39 AM   #179
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,597
So I need a new rear tire. Back in May, I got a set of the new Karoo 3 tires and ran them all summer. I have about 5300 miles on them and the rear should have been replaced 500 miles ago. The front still looks nearly new.

After a good bit of research, I have decided to stick with the more off-road biased tire for the front and a street biased tire for the rear.

My use is mostly on-road. I am a commuter who puts about 13000 miles a year on a bike but when I do go off-road, I want some performance. I don't want to be sliding all around and I don't want the bike to slide out from under me the first time I hit some mud (Virginia clay is like grease when wet).

My 2008 GSA is at the dealer right now getting the Anakee 3 on the rear. Any suggestions on tire pressure?
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:47 AM   #180
rider2371
Novice Rider

Oddometer: 12
This

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffy109 View Post
I don't want to be sliding all around and I don't want the bike to slide out from under me the first time I hit some mud
and this

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffy109 View Post
My 2008 GSA is at the dealer right now getting the Anakee 3 on the rear.
don't really add up.

Anakee 3's (front and rear) will be useless in the mud.

On the street though they're great. Won't last as long as the 2's, but good grip and good handling. I'm on going through my second set of 3's.
rider2371 is offline   Reply With Quote