ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 58 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-31-2013, 11:01 PM   #76
macintosh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73Mustang View Post
I want legit maps. (Not download illegally)
Well, not sure if this is even possible but start from here
https://www.naviextras.com/shop/portal

Also, Dutch company who is selling iGO based motorcycle devices may be able to help. http://www.goridergps.com/?page_id=748
macintosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:47 PM   #77
rpeter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Just got this GPS. It doesn't have any maps. Where do I buy maps?

I want legit maps. (Not download illegally)

Because I don't know how to use torrent. Don't have time to learn. Don't want virus.
This is iGo8 with maps on a microSD card, supposed to be legit, http://yehob.ecrater.com/p/10235152/...h-america-usap

rpeter screwed with this post 08-31-2013 at 11:55 PM
rpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:54 PM   #78
rpeter
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by outsidein View Post
I have the exact same issue. Ordered a USB power supply for the bars to keep it charged. In the mean time I fully charge it off my computer before going out which works fine as long as I am not out all day. In the car with the USB power supply it works great and does not have this issue.

Tried cleaning the contacts with spray contact cleaner which helped but the cold from the spray can cracked the cradle. Had to repair with Plastex.
I had thought the Peaklife cradle power supply might be defective, but I bought the Peaklife successor, the "Rage," and didn't bother swapping out the power supply when I put the Rage in place of the Peaklife. The Rage runs fine all day on the same cradle power. So my guess is that the Peaklife just consumes much more power than the Rage.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:22 AM   #79
Carluset
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpeter View Post
My Peaklife cradle power supply doesn't seem to produce enough current to keep the thing running. On an all day ride, eventually the battery will completely discharge and the GPS will shut down. Then after being off a while, the battery will be enough recharged to start it back up.

I also have a cigarette lighter socket on the bars, so I can keep the GPS running all day by using the USB input power, as well as the cradle power.
Hi!

I had a similar problem. I also thought it was a problem of insufficient current. I replaced the 12V-5V converter with another one providing 3A. Nothing changed. I thought then that maybe was a problem with the wires or the contacts. I sprayed the pins on the GPS cradle and pushed them in order to make the liquid get into the little springs.

Problem solved!
Carluset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:25 AM   #80
73Mustang
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpeter View Post
This is iGo8 with maps on a microSD card, supposed to be legit, http://yehob.ecrater.com/p/10235152/...h-america-usap
Thanks! I just ordered this map from the above website.

I tried downloading maps, but ended up getting a virus on my machine.
Arghh! Better do it the legit way.
73Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:04 PM   #81
73Mustang
Gnarly Adventurer

How do I remove the micro sd card ?

It won't budge!!!

Help!!!!!!
Old 09-06-2013, 01:18 AM   #82
Carluset
Adventurer

Quote:

It won't budge!!!

Help!!!!!!
You must slide the holder (to the right in the picture from Vldare). Then the SD is free
Old 09-06-2013, 03:24 AM   #83
Carluset
Adventurer

Quote:

It won't budge!!!

Help!!!!!!
Look at the metal holder. There are printed two arrows indicating that you have to slide this part. Slide it towards the pins of the SD. Then it will be free
Old 09-06-2013, 10:39 AM   #84
73Mustang
Gnarly Adventurer

Ok thanks. I got it! Glad I didn't break anything.

Btw, I received the IGO8 micro sd card from the above vendor. There is no box. There's no IGO8 label or anything. I wonder if it's an illegal copy? Just wondering, not going to do anything about it.

But it seems to be working good so far. Can't wait to test it out on forest roads.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:54 AM   #85
Thumper Dan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 306
OziExplorer and Hema Maps

Has anyone attempted to run OziExplorer and Hema maps on their little Peak Life.

I've been playing around with some settings but difficult to get screen resolution right. I'm happy to pay for the full version but no point if it won't run correctly and/or others don't recommend their use.

thanks
Mods: Manrack, ebay 48 litre top box, grind header pipe; B&B bash plate; bigger/better tool compartment (pvc pipe) - Screens For Bikes Windscreen, TM40 Pumper Carb, Safari Tank, Seat Concepts, Oxford Heater Grips, Highway Pegs, Wolfman Expidition bags and racks, HDB handguards, Cogent Mojave rear shock, intiminators, GSX muffler/mod
Thumper Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:01 AM   #86
Carluset
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper Dan View Post
Has anyone attempted to run OziExplorer and Hema maps on their little Peak Life.

I've been playing around with some settings but difficult to get screen resolution right. I'm happy to pay for the full version but no point if it won't run correctly and/or others don't recommend their use.

thanks
I tried it for a while, but never had maps and finally chose Twonav for offroad. However, the program itself worked and the resolution was correct (as far as I remember).

My peaklife is now ill (will travel to China to be fixed or replaced) and I can't try OziExplorer.

Let me check if I have the files in my computer and maybe I can share them.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:36 AM   #87
andershz
Custom User Title

Oddometer: 39
I'm running Oziexplorer.
Works fine in Pocket PC Landscape resolution (320x240).
andershz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:58 PM   #88
rpeter
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carluset View Post
Hi!

I had a similar problem. I also thought it was a problem of insufficient current. I replaced the 12V-5V converter with another one providing 3A. Nothing changed. I thought then that maybe was a problem with the wires or the contacts. I sprayed the pins on the GPS cradle and pushed them in order to make the liquid get into the little springs.

Problem solved!
I can't make any sense of this. Yesterday I put dielectric grease on the pins and worked them a bit. They slide in and out easily. Starting with a fully charged battery this morning, half an hour later arriving at work it was down to 62%. The thing suspends and awakens just as expected when I turn the ignition on and off. The power supply runs the Rage just fine. So....

Guess I'll try to do some tests on the cradle with a multimeter.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:56 PM   #89
rpeter
Adventurer

I checked continuity in the cradle, DC- and DC5V pins are fine to the female connector. This must be a defect in the circuit going to the contacts on the Peaklife. That's all I can figure, and it's kind of a bummer since I'd like to resell it now that I have the Rage.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:46 AM   #90
outsidein
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
I purchased a handle bar mounted water proof USB socket from ebay for about $15. I removed the pin connector from the cradle which reduced some buzzing caused by vibration and now power the unit from a USB cable. My peaklife is 100% reliable now. The only issue is it may not be water proof with the USB cable connector exposed.
outsidein is offline   Reply With Quote