User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2013, 04:54 PM   #196
joew_33
n00b

Oddometer: 4
BMW F Series Gas tanks recall - COMPLAIN TO NHTSA

Hi all. Just go to https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/ and it takes just 2 minutes to fill out the form to file a complaint. This will get the ball rolling toward a real solution from BMW if NHTSA gets wind of this. I have filed mine regarding the gas tank, but seriously there should be hundreds of entries as 1/2 of the owners in various surveys report having replaced the gas tank at least once. When I looked at the complaints there were only a handful. Take the 2 minutes and file a complaint....once the numbers rack up we will be taken seriously. PS....what is the stator issue?
joew_33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:38 PM   #197
TowPro
I want to ride

Oddometer: 2,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRose View Post
When it starts costing BMW more to keep replacing then it does to redesign and recall, that's when they will fix it.

I'm telling my dealer to order mine this week. I was going to wait and see if BMW was going to address the issue, but after seeing this thread, they've had plenty of time.

Time to start hitting them in the ol pocket book. I'll order a new set everytime I see a crack.
Remember Crap rolls down hill. I bet BMW is making the tank supplier pay for the warranty replacements.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:20 PM   #198
Hucker
Lost

Oddometer: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by joew_33 View Post
PS....what is the stator issue?
this is the stator issue

And...

JRWooden 's thread on an attempt to remedy part of the issue...without the $900 fix.
Hucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:07 PM   #199
Milesbandit
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffs View Post
That poll is rather telling... is it possible the ROTW models use a different type of plastic due to some US reg about the material used? Below is the ROTW tank, for some reason I can't access the EPC for US versions of the F800GS to compare, but there must be some differences to accommodate the canister - something that makes it less structurally sound maybe?

This looks to me like the tank is separate and it's the body molding that is cracking.
Milesbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 03:59 PM   #200
Dirt Rider
Old Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Thumbs down

So I stopped by a nearby dealer a little while ago, not where I bought my new 800. This dealer has two stores. A salesman there is a friend of a friend. I mention that at 300 miles I am seeing the white line stress fracture starting. He says they have never heard of cracked tanks and they sell a lot of these. The owner walks by and says, "Never heard of such a thing". OK. So I walk over to a new one on the floor. Holy crap! The stress crack line is 3 times larger than the ones in my tank. And this is a new bike or maybe it had been in demo service as I was told it did have fuel in it. I asked the salesman to walk over and I would show it to them. Salesman immediately said he was way too busy to look and I should not be inventing problems! What a putz! So. I'm guessing they know about the problem and were glad when I left.

Interesting, I mentioned my starting crack in my tank to the dealer I bought my bike at as well as many Beemers over the years. His response was, go tell service and they will order one. I said wait til it gets maybe worse. No hurry. Evidently, my dealer knows about the problem.
Dirt Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:08 PM   #201
NCD
Dirty Hairy

Oddometer: 418
I think it's odd that the cracks are coming back on new bikes. It's like the old molds that were making the defective ones before made it back into use somehow by mistake.

The original cracking ones had a tight inside corner where the cracking developed. Mine (2011 not cracked) has a more rounded shape. And the texture of my inside corner is slightly rougher, like a mold was sanded/modified to produce a different shape.

What do these new tanks look like there?
NCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:33 PM   #202
FredRydr
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 1,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Rider View Post
He says they have never heard of cracked tanks and they sell a lot of these. The owner walks by and says, "Never heard of such a thing".
Welcome to the world of sales. Move the product and close the deal, no matter if it's a motorcycle or software or real estate. I might sound sarcastic, but that is how I've experienced business and personal purchases of all sorts of stuff. The exception were career salesmen who relied on repeat sales.

My '09 had a cracked tank, and it was replaced under warranty. I don't look for cracks anymore, since I've never heard of a leak despite cracks.

Fred
FredRydr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:34 AM   #203
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Oddometer: 6,046
Add my wifes F650 to the list...

I have two BMW's in the garage...never again...

Unless an R100GSPD came my way, then, at least I'd know it was an antique and could justify the shop time...
VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:17 AM   #204
minizoom
I collect hobbies!

Oddometer: 12
I just found a crack on my tank. It's a 2013 F700gs purchased last April. Is it safe to ride the bike. I'm going on a trip this Friday up PCH to Monterey.
minizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:08 PM   #205
duffs
It's been useful

Oddometer: 1,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by minizoom View Post
I just found a crack on my tank. It's a 2013 F700gs purchased last April. Is it safe to ride the bike. I'm going on a trip this Friday up PCH to Monterey.
It's been pretty well established that the cracks don't leak, they are mainly a cosmetic issue... safety is often a factor of risk so with this in mind, you probably have little to worry about.

Blog: Blogspot **SO NEW IT STINKS!** Facebook Tumblr
Ride reports, photos, tips, experiences, general twaddle
duffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:17 PM   #206
minizoom
I collect hobbies!

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffs View Post
It's been pretty well established that the cracks don't leak, they are mainly a cosmetic issue... safety is often a factor of risk so with this in mind, you probably have little to worry about.
Cool! Thanks!
minizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:43 AM   #207
saslade
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Just had my tank replaced. BMW has changed the design a bit. The edge that is cracking is now has a radiuses, vice the sharp edge. The BMW tech says that he has to report the production info to tech services on all tanks that are warrantied for the cracks. So maybe the fix is in. (2013 F800 GS)
saslade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:58 AM   #208
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,253
The fix has been in since 2010. The replacement tanks then had been recontoured.

It took 4-5 mos. to redesign the replacement tanks. I know that in the interim old stock was being used for warranty replacement.

I got an improved version and have had no issues with it. But the problem still persists. I DNK if BMW still has a warehouse full of 2009/2010 tanks that they are off loading, or if these are "improved" tanks that are cracking.

Lots of rumors about improvements 1,2 and 3. Where this info comes from, when every dealer "has never seen that before" is a mystery to me.

I think it is my air box lid that is stamped made in Taiwan. Doesn't make it bad, but it would not surprise me to learn that all the plastics are made there.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:31 AM   #209
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,993
Gary:

Could you post a picture of your new and not-quite-improved-enough design?

Thanks!
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 02:22 PM   #210
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,253
I can and will, if you insist, but the changes are miniscule and don't show up well with a camera shot. It is the bottom edge of the top groove. The originals were a 90 degree bend. The first change was a rolling curve of the bottom crease in the top groove.