Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2013, 10:01 PM   #16
RexBuck
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,007
Had a modulator on a previous bike. Still had a couple of people try to pull in front of me. In my opinion, they are useless!

Also, when you start using gimicks to get other people to avoid you, I think there is a danger you may be lulled into a false sense of security, and stop paying attention. They will still try to kill you.
RexBuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:07 PM   #17
FlyingFinn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,112
Another headlight "modulator" hater right here. And yes, from the state where lane sharing is legal.
95% of drivers are annoyed by the stupid blinking light (look at me, look at me, I'm important!!!) and there's STILL going to be that 5% of drivers that don't see you coming.
So you better ride like none of them see you coming.

And in the mean while not annoy the fuck out of everyone else.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:54 PM   #18
pilesofmiles
Life is an Adventure

Oddometer: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
They are annoying as hell, like loud pipes.

Fred

I absolutely agree. Well said Fred.
Old 09-08-2013, 03:04 AM   #19
Schai
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:

Fred
Off Topic
There is no comparison in the annoyance of headlight modulators vs loud pipes. Headlight modulators don't stop conversations, drown out TV programs, or destroy the natural sounds of wind and trees a half mile away.

I personally have never heard of someone being annoyed by the flashing lights of an emergency vehicle. The driver, sure. The flashing lights themselves, never. Why a flashing light should suddenly become annoying when relocated to a motorcycle is interesting. Maybe it is just a personal reaction to something different than the norm.

On Topic
Anything that adds to becoming more conspicuous significantly reduces the risk of injury to a motorcyclist from a car.

Quick data from a 1993-1996 study in Auckland, New Zealand:
White helmet vs Black - 24% lower risk
Reflective or fluorescent clothing - 37%
Headlight On - 27% lower risk
Headlight modulator - not studied

These are significant risk reductions. I'd be pretty sure that modulated lights should have similar risk reductions.
Schai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:55 AM   #20
pilesofmiles
Life is an Adventure

Flashing or constant modulating front headlight is annoying and IMHO gives a rider a silly true false sense of security.

If anyone needs a real world example of how drivers DO NOT pay attention to flashing lights on motorcycles or cars ask a law enforcement officer who rides a motorcycle for a living, they get hit and run over despite all the addional lights flashing not to mention on top of the light show they are still running a siren.

Some cage drivers could interpret a bikes flashing lights as you giving them an "ok" for them to pull out and there you are.

Finally if headlight modulators are such a deterrent to accidents than why has this not been made a mandatory law/requirement by USDOT for all new motorcycle sales? Burning a headlight was made a mandatory law? The numbers are just not there to convince manufactures it's a must safety requirement. Why don't we have headlight modulators on all new cars and trucks? Because they are not proven to be effective in preventing accidents or making drivers feel safer. And they are annoying. Imagine every car, truck and m/c modulating headlights? Again maybe ask a motor cop, they are annoying as h$:!!

I know insurance companies don't offer a discount on your policy if you have a headlight modulator, at least mine does not, but if you took a rider safety class within the last year or so some offer up to 10% discount.
Headlight modulator, nope, nada, none.

IMHO the headlight modulator gets filed under late night infomercial for snake oil and they are totally annoying. It's funny to think that anyone thinks flashing /modulating headlight is going to keep them safer.

I would be interested to see 10 years of motorcycle rider statistics saying so.

For what it's worth...my 02 cents.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:01 AM   #21
FredRydr
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 2,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schai View Post
Off Topic
There is no comparison in the annoyance of headlight modulators vs loud pipes.
Sure there is. We've established (above) that modulated headlights are annoying. Their unpleasant pulsating light starts to chafe at a distance far greater than sound waves can from loud pipes.

Imagine this headlight strobing at you all that distance. By the time the photon nerd passes, "asshole" will have become a mild description.

Fred
FredRydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:31 AM   #22
pilesofmiles
Life is an Adventure

Quote:
Sure there is. We've established (above) that modulated headlights are annoying. Their unpleasant pulsating light starts to chafe at a distance far greater than sound waves can from loud pipes.

Imagine this headlight strobing at you all that distance. By the time the photon nerd passes, "asshole" will have become a mild description.

Fred
LOL! Spot on.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:54 AM   #23
Hucker
Lost

Oddometer: 672
I think the worst part about them, here locally, is that it is mandatory to pull over and stop while yielding to emergency vehicles. Every time one of these goes by, all traffic in both directions start to yield, only to discover that it's a motorcycle coming. I've seen a couple instances where accidents have almost occurred as a result of one driver identifying the vehicle as non-emergency, but the other yielding to the light. It confuses people.

I can see a couple of things happening in the future (I'm admitting speculation here, so don't beat me up too much):
1. People are going to stop yielding to flashing headlights, causing delay to emergency vehicles. Drivers will wait to determine if it the annoying motorcycle or an emergency vehicle before yielding. As we are now (locally), flashing lights = emergency vehicle = immediate yield.
2. Drivers will lump all motorcyclists into the "annoying wastes of space" having either eardrum rupturing mufflers, or the annoying flashing lights on their bikes. We all already struggle breaking free of the loud muffler stigma.

Again, my $0.02. Rant done.
Hucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:17 AM   #24
ZEmann
want to be riding

Oddometer: 639
see last sentence
http://www.roadrules.ca/content/road...nd-moth-effect

I agree the modulating lights are distracting and annoying .

and once I relate the annoyance to a particular vehicle I tend to disregard looking in that direction again until the annoyance is gone

no one needs to be flashing their headlights at Me I stay in My lane
look for motorcycles and signal my intentions

My 2 cents from someone with plenty of Cali road miles under their belt
( scratch that ) helmet
ZEmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:57 AM   #25
acap650
acap650

Oddometer: 619
Canbus / Service conflict

When I worked at a BMW dealer the first canbus bike we serviced with a HM crashed the service computer and wiped out all software on the bike computer turning it into a 15K brick. It took BMWNA all day to restore everything. Customer had to pay additional charges to put it right.
acap650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:27 AM   #26
Schai
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:

Fred
Quote:

Fred
That really is not a good comparison for my setup. The hypothetical analysis just isn't real. I've stood in the road and near the road while someone else rode my bike past, so I do know what it actually looks like. I have the steady HID low beam and the flashing auxiliary lights. At a distance, it looks pretty much like a steady beam as they all blend together. Only when the bike gets closer than 1/8 mile do the flashing lights become distinct from the steady beam. At a half block, they are very visible, which is the whole idea.

In the photograph, you see the line of buildings in the distance and the open space from the camera to the buildings? Every one of those buildings will hear the exhaust noise of a loud motorcycle broadcasting across the unrestricted space the entire time it travels from the town to almost the camera position.

A set of loud pipes will be heard by every person in every house on every hillside lining the entire valley for at least a half mile around. (except for the deaf, hard of hearing, tractor drivers, etc.) And the loud pipes will continue to be heard by everyone along the path of that bike all day long, every day, etc. Notice, however, I didn't say "disturb", just "heard". You can infer how many hundreds of people feel disturbed and think Ahole.

Anecdote: My town has a farm nearby that is an Observed Trials venue 2 times a year. There is also a local Harley type club. I recently offered to post a notice to invite the club members to come out and watch the event. The land owner said not to tell them about it, even though the event is 2-1/2 miles from their clubhouse. He is concerned about the noise disturbance motivating the neighbors to complain and possibly kill the events. I can't possibly imagine the neighbors complaining about any kind of headlight.

I strongly maintain my position that loud pipes are a lot more annoying to a lot more people.

This past June, I was in Italy and Spain for 3 weeks. With all of the two wheeled traffic, I heard a total of FOUR loud motorcycles in 3 weeks. A group of three were together down an Italian road on one day and one in Barcelona another time. There seems to be a different balance between the freedom to make loud noise and the freedom to not be subjected to it.
Schai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 02:55 PM   #27
PatrickM OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
Do people not understand that the headlight modulators are wired in with the high beam, and don't need to be on 100% of the time?

When you're going down a long stretch of road, when you're at an intersection, when you're behind someone...

Turning off the high beam turns off the headlight modulator.

When you're lane splitting, when you're going up windy mountain roads with limited visibility, when you're thinking "just that little bit more" can help.

Turn it on.

They should be no more annoying than having HID's in a non-projector headlight unit. But people have them. They should be no more annoying than having the high beam on. But people use them.

At the end of the day, if they help, why not have them? If you're afraid of annoying the person in front of you, turn them off.

In CA and NV, slower traffic is supposed to stay right. However, many times we sit behind someone who refuses to stay to the right. So the HM comes on and it acts as a simple "flash to pass" circuit. Perfectly legal, and a lot less work to let the person know to "move over".

But back to the original question: Any idea what the resistance necessary to "fool" CANBUS into thinking there is a minimum 35W draw? The LED turn signals I put in have that built in, but it's drawing 15W, max so the resistance values would be very different.
PatrickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 01:00 AM   #28
pilesofmiles
Life is an Adventure

I have these installed on the lower forks. I like lights but NOT constantly flashing modulators.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTv12axcBIk
Old 09-23-2013, 07:19 PM   #29
RexBuck
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,007
Like I said, modulators don't work and create a false sense of security. Like others said, they are similar to the argument that "loud pipes save lives" . . . more of an irritant than a safety feature in both cases.

However, since this was opened up, I have a Harley. It has louder than stock pipes. I have them because I like the the sound . . . not for any safety reason. I don't go around hot-rodding them or bliping them at stop lights - in fact I try to be fairly courteous with them. But, if you don't like them, well, tough shit!

I guess the busybodies will eventually legislate my pipes away just like they have institued incredibly low speed limits but until then, I'll enjoy the sound of my Harley and the haters can kiss my ass.
RexBuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:14 PM   #30
FredRydr
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 2,477
Today while driving on I-78 in eastern Pennsylvania, I was being followed by a late model Goldwing with a headlight modulator. I thought of this thread as I wished the moron would overtake me. Soon. But no, the beams were flashing in my mirrors for miles before he finally did overtake, only when I slowed enough. His next victim was in front of me. Poor S.O.B.

Fred
FredRydr is offline   Reply With Quote