Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Trials
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2013, 10:22 AM   #256
Bigbird
"Dog Is My Co-Pilot"

Oddometer: 434
Question 2001 Montesa 315R as a 1st trials bike?

I'm wanting to give trials a try and have a line on a 2001 Montesa 315R. Guy is asking $2000 for it. Haven't seen it yet or know the history. Is it a good "beginners" bike? And, assuming the bike's in nice shape and doesn't need anything major, is the price a fair one? What are the strong points of the model? How about weak points and things to keep an eye out for? I'm completely new to trials so any tips on this will help.

"Keep yer stick on the ice" Red Green
Bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:54 AM   #257
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbird View Post
I'm wanting to give trials a try and have a line on a 2001 Montesa 315R. Guy is asking $2000 for it. Haven't seen it yet or know the history. Is it a good "beginners" bike? And, assuming the bike's in nice shape and doesn't need anything major, is the price a fair one? What are the strong points of the model? How about weak points and things to keep an eye out for? I'm completely new to trials so any tips on this will help.
Making a firm decision on whether you want to ride modern or vintage trials would be a good start. If you want to compete, then you should probably base your decision on what classes the clubs in your area cater for, and ideally go along to a few meetings and have a good look at whats going on.

The 315R is an ideal beginner bike though, has high build quality and is far more reliable than European powered bikes.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:21 PM   #258
nwcycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,131
Not to mention..................

$300.00 rear fenders
nwcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:44 PM   #259
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post

The 315R is an ideal beginner bike though, has high build quality and is far more reliable than European powered bikes.
This is a load of crap. The 315 had it`s own issues. There is nothing wrong with the 315 ( besides crazy parts prices), but I always preferred the Beta rev3. (Just a personable choice)
Most parts besides the engine are shared with the European bikes. It really just depends on condition. Buy the least used bike you can find. Keep hunting until you are satisfied.
lineaway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:47 PM   #260
GrayEagleRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcycle View Post
$300.00 rear fenders
You can find them on ebay.uk for considerably less than that which are made from a more flexible plastic. Last time I checked you can get them for around $75.00 after the conversion rate, but shipping will cost you an additional $80 to $100.

Can also on regular ebay from time to time for cheap.
GrayEagleRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:51 PM   #261
Choicecut
Lean, Tender and Juicy.

Oddometer: 289
Quote:
I can chime in on this a little. I picked up a 2000 315 R a few months ago for the same price range. I chose the 315R because it seems to be well liked and is built pretty solid, plus I could get one in the price range I was looking for. I haven't done much but clean the carb and make minor adjustments here and there. Just slapped a new set of Dunlops on it today. I really like the bike and think it was a solid purchase for a first trials bike. I rode my first event a couple weeks ago and had a blast with it. Now I have a bug and want a vintage one too so I can ride both vintage and modern!

I really like trials because I can have fun and not completely wreck my body or kill myself. I also like how it is a competitive sport, but doesn't seem to have the string of douchenozzles that other types of motorsports have. I tried to get back into dirt a few years ago and snagged a KTM 520. Went right back to "teenager stupid" and figured I needed to try something a little more fitting before I tore something up really good. Shit just doesn't heal like it used to. I suppose it doesn't help that I am fat and out of shape though.

I think you would be really happy with it if it isn't a complete pile of sheeite.
1979 Suzuki DS 100;
2002 Honda XR50 (Pinky Pie);
Choicecut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 01:10 PM   #262
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineaway View Post
This is a load of crap. The 315 had it`s own issues. There is nothing wrong with the 315 ( besides crazy parts prices), but I always preferred the Beta rev3. (Just a personable choice)
Most parts besides the engine are shared with the European bikes. It really just depends on condition. Buy the least used bike you can find. Keep hunting until you are satisfied.

Beta has suffered from ignition problems for many years, while other than general wear and tear issues, the 315R has no major problem areas.

However as with any older bike parts can be a problem, and plastics are pretty much unavailable for the 315R.
Old 09-14-2013, 02:16 PM   #263
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
Beta has suffered from ignition problems for many years, while other than general wear and tear issues, the 315R has no major problem areas.

However as with any older bike parts can be a problem, and plastics are pretty much unavailable for the 315R.
I`ve personally logged thousands of hours on Beta`s since I bought an 89 tr34 in 1990. Never any ignition issues. I also was a dealer for over ten years and never an issue. I have seen a few in that last few years and they were on ten year old bikes. I think the UK has more problems due with moisture. The 315 had some faults, but I prefer not to rag on another brand. (Unless it`s the Gasser PRooBlem models!!)
lineaway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 04:18 AM   #264
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

When Dougie Lampkin was riding Beta, in one year he failed to finish both the SSDT and the Scott due to ignition problems. Notably Beta is the only make that suffers from these problems on a regular basis here in the UK.

Moisture may well have something to do with the failures being more common in the UK, but seems to me a trials bike with an ignition which fails when its exposed to moisture is about as much use as a politician!
Old 09-15-2013, 10:19 AM   #265
ridenm
not waiting anymore

Oddometer: 2,575
Quote:
I bought a '99 Montesa nearly a decade ago to replace my '95 Beta Techno. I paid $2500 for a nice clean bike only ridden occasionally by a Novice in our club or his wife. I fit it with a larger-than-stock sprocket (44 I think, without going out to the garage) and a spark arrestor/silencer I got second-hand from another club member along with a box of junk from His Montesa expert days. So far the only problem I have had with the bike is the cushion for the float bowl jet needle. The jet would hang on the old rubber and starve the bike for fuel. I replaced the jet but occasionally have the problem still which I attribute to ethanol gas. If I forget to turn off the fuel before a long down-time period, say weeks or more, I have to drop the float bowl and clean the float and pilot jets to get the bike running again.

I chose the Montesa because it fit me better than the Betas I rode. The rear brake pedal position on the Techno was better suited to someone wearing a size 10 boot or bigger, which compromised my learning curve on big downs and proper turning technique. I never had any ignition problems with the Techno but I did have to replace the voltage regulator (provides juice to the fan) with one I found at Radio Shack and I battled chronically loose footpeg mounts. The Techno also suffered from sticky clutch syndrome regardless of the oil I chose, a problem the Montesa has to a much lesser degree especially if you can get the exotic ELF oil HRC calls out.

I shied away from the Gassers when I replaced the Beta because I'd seen too many among our club members with quality control problems, especially gearbox issues. The Shercos at that time seemed good but all the used ones were coming from our upper class riders who had hammered them. The Montesa featured Japanese build quality which is reassuring for a bike that gets as little maintenance as I give it. Nothing turns as well as a Beta, in my limited experience, but you have to have big enough feet for it.

Again, this is my experience and YMMV.
Old 10-13-2013, 10:42 AM   #266
batoutoflahonda
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,376
Way back I went to the World Rounds at Donner CA. Was so impressed I bought an Aprilia climber. Broke it every time I rode it, which was good, kept me from killing myself on it. Cracked my helmet at one point. Also lead me to believe that the Italians know nothing about metallurgy, surely, I was not a hack on two wheels. I did get a chance to ride with some guys from PITS who were setting up a course at Carnegie. They drug me all over that place. Wore me the heck out as I was a guinea pig for the novice sections. They kept telling me to quit riding it like a dirt bike. I did get a chance to ride their Gas Gas, Beta, and Montesa bikes. Of the three I liked the Montesa the best.

So years later I pick this up the other day. The plan is to plate it using WA new laws and explore the mountains around my place, and do some local events. So been out trying to do wheelies. Same rings true today as it did then. Get frustrated and go ride it like a dirt bike. Sure the neighbors are looking out their windows going WTF? Has he lost it? Why is just jumping up and down on that motorcycle?

Any way. Pretty stoked. Joining Puget Sound Trialers and looking forward to learning some civility on two wheels.

Save lives. Legalize lane sharing.

Cow eyes don't glow.

batoutoflahonda screwed with this post 10-13-2013 at 11:10 AM
batoutoflahonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:33 PM   #267
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,129

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:07 AM   #268
Vanilla Face
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20

My first trials bike in 5 years, I previously owned a 2002 315R 10 years ago which I sold for a 280 Gas Gas TXT Pro as I was getting into the big steps and trick riding. Fast forward a decade and a restart in the sport I am now more interested in riding natural terrain and club trials with the enforced non stop rules. So, a 315R seemed a perfect step back into trials.

This is a 2000 model but wearing 2004 mudguards.

Bought on eBay after several beers and shipped here to the Isle of Man I was pleased to find it has had a very easy life.

Time to change that ; )

Less hop and splat than my last bike ('06 Gasser set up for a UK sponsored rider) but great for riding natural sections. The bike is plenty capable and I won my 1st trial in ten years on my first outing on it. So, some rusty old magic in both rider and machine!

I find the bars too low and am getting backache from riding it. Should I buy riser bars or get some spacers in there?

Next to address will be the plastics/colouring.

Torn between recreating a 1996 Marc Colomer prototype 315R look, the black '99 year look (my favourite) or going a little 4RT Repsol on it.

Has anyone fitted the Aktiv reeds to the carb and noticed a difference?
Vanilla Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:09 AM   #269
Vanilla Face
Adventurer

Old 05-20-2014, 08:23 AM   #270
Vanilla Face
Adventurer

This is pretty awesome I think