Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2013, 03:28 PM   #1
JRose OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 627
HyperPro Rear Spring Install. What NOT To Do....

OK inmates gather 'round and learn from 'ol Jrose's mistakes!

So I got my HyperPro spring kit in the other day for my '13 F800GS, and couldn't wait to get off work this morning to install them! I hopped on the bike and took off to my buddy's shop.

Snatched the rear wheel off, popped out the shock and our spring clamps would'nt fit (to big). No worries, there's another shop down the road I used to work at (4x4 shop) that has a strut compressor that I think will work.

Hop in my buddy's truck and head down the road, trusty shock and spring in hand...

I should pause here to let you know that while mechanically inclined, I have spent most of my wrenching days as a car mechanic and 4x4 fabricator, so the extent of my working knowledge is with suspension like coilovers on buggies and Jeeps... How different can it be though, right???

So I get to the shop, put the shock in the compressor and expose the retainer rings (2) that hold the top cap in place. Well, in my infinite wisdom, I removed the outer one and went to jerking the top cap off.

Welllllllllllllll, not so fast.....

Oil hits the floor!!!! Bad (not good).

It's the oil from the pre-load adjuster, and now I want to throw up.

So in a panic I phone Klause at HyperPro and ask him what I F****d up, and how I fix it!

After a while explaining to him exactly what I had done, and him not understanding what the hell I'm talking about, it hit him... Then I hear a German Noooooooooooooooooooooo (again, not good) followed by a you're supposed to take the inner ring off, and leave the outter ring and the chrome collar as one unit.

So again, "Klause, how do I fix this???" in which the reply was you're just going to have to replace the oil which shouldn't be hard. Just remove the allen adjacent from the preload adjuster and add it there.

"But Klause, do I have to bleed it? How do you bleed the air???" Reply-> "Well, that's the hard part... You'll just have to move it in and out and run the adjuster in and out until the bubbles stop showing in that whole you add the fluid in. I can't really tell you how the proper way to bleed it is, that's just my best guess..."

So for the next hour we tried adding oil, pushing the collar in and out, and so on until I saw one last burst of bubbles followed by a couple cycles of pure fluid.

So at this point I THINK I'm in the clear! We reassemble and cross my fingers.

I wish I had pictures, but I was covered in oil and scared to death that I just F'd up a $1200 shock. I will surely have to take it back apart and when I do, I'll snap some pics indicating the parts I'm talking about.

So in summary, if you're searching around trying to learn up on how to put your new HyperPro springs on, and run across this thread, let me offer you this advice...

DO NOT TAKE OFF THE OUTER RETENSION RING!!!! Just take off the inner one that holds the chrome collar on the black shock body and remove the entire chrome collar and top cap assembly as one unit.

Now I have to figure out if I got all the air out of the preload adjuster or not... The adjuster moves in and out, and I think I'm OK, but I really just need to lay hands on another one and see if there is any difference. There is a lot of free play when the adjuster is ran all the way out to full stop, but that was the case before, I just have to find out if it's the same amount now. It takes quite a few turns in from full stop for it to engage and move the adjuster down, and it looks as if the adjuster only comes out around a 1/4 of an inch or so with the adjuster ran all the way in.

On a positive note, the spring feels awesome!
JRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:46 PM   #2
JRose OP
Studly Adventurer

BTW, I have about 22 "clicks" (run the preload adjuster all the way out, then counting half turns in) of free play before it starts to actually lift the unloaded bike (well, unloaded minus the vario cases). It's ways had a bit of "free play" when running it all the way out, but I've never been conscious of it until now.

This normal for the rest of you, or might I have some air in the system?
Old 09-13-2013, 06:42 PM   #3
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Oddometer: 6,803
Re springing a stock shock..or a hyper pro?????
VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:45 PM   #4
JRose OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGASGSA View Post
Re springing a stock shock..or a hyper pro?????
Just re-springing the stock shock with a HyperPro spring
Old 09-13-2013, 08:10 PM   #5
AK650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 424
First off, thanks for sharing your hard found experience! That's a bummer, and hope that it turns out OK.

Also glad to hear you like the spring. Been contemplating their springs front and rear on my '13. Took mine on rough roads for the first time last week, and with the pre load cranked all the way, my 240 lbs, and light gear, used allof the suspension travel front and rear. While I did not bottom out, with any more weight like panniers/rack and/or a pillion, I'm out of options. I'm not so advanced a rider,nor have sophisticated enough tastes for a $2000+ suspension upgrade, I would like stiffer springs, and slightly heavier fork oil to increase damping somewhat.

Thanks again, and good luck!

Jeff
AK650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 04:45 AM   #6
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,146
Thanks for putting up with the public embarrassment to save the rest of us folks the potential pain of going thru your little issue.

I can't help wondering why there is no a bright red piece of paper packed in the box with the spring from Hyperpro that says something like:

Achtung: Dies ist nicht für Verken durch ein dumkuft!!!

with a nice picture pointing to the piece are supposed to disassemble.
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 05:16 AM   #7
JRose OP
Studly Adventurer

I've never been scared to jump off into something and figure it out. Unfortunately, it hasn't always worked out as smoothly as the Sunday wrenching shows.

What can I say, gotta break a few eggs to make an omelet...

I'm pretty sure there is still air in the system that needs to be bled. When I take it apart next time I'll take pics. When searching around, I saw lots of pics/video of people swapping the entire shock, but not much detail on just swapping the spring.

I know it's common knowledge for most, but maybe I can help the ding dongs like me that tend to be able to break a steel ball with a rubber hammer.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:23 AM   #8
NCD
Dirty Hairy

Oddometer: 463
I had to bleed a similar item before. The trick was to submerge the unit in fluid completely, and then operate it back and forth. The pressure/vacuum cycle will pull oil in and purge air out - and theres no chance for air to get back in.
NCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:31 AM   #9
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,069
NCD, thanks for that.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:35 AM   #10
JRose OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCD View Post
I had to bleed a similar item before. The trick was to submerge the unit in fluid completely, and then operate it back and forth. The pressure/vacuum cycle will pull oil in and purge air out - and theres no chance for air to get back in.

Thanks. I'm pretty sure it's got to come back off. 22 clicks in before resistance judt doesn't feel right. I'm certain there is still air in it.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:11 AM   #11
NCD
Dirty Hairy

Oddometer: 463
Hmmm. Is it possible to find a small fitting, etc that could poke tight or thread into the hole? Attach a length of clear tubing to it that heads upward. Fill that with fluid and cycle it. Let the bubbles drift up.

Could work and keeps you from having to pull it back off. I guess good access to it in place may be the stopper.
NCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:58 AM   #12
JRose OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCD View Post
Hmmm. Is it possible to find a small fitting, etc that could poke tight or thread into the hole? Attach a length of clear tubing to it that heads upward. Fill that with fluid and cycle it. Let the bubbles drift up.

Could work and keeps you from having to pull it back off. I guess good access to it in place may be the stopper.

Meh. It's not that hard to remove, I'll just yank it Monday and try your idea. I have to do the front fork springs Monday, so I'll have a whole lotta fork oil in a tub to use that method.

Thanks for the tip.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:07 PM   #13
runnin4melife
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
If it makes you feel better I was checking the starter motor on a Husky TXC 510 and as soon as I pulled it apart I heard a loud Noooo! in a German accent too (it was me) followed by shizer (scheiBe) as two brushes and springs went flying. Lessons we learn!
runnin4melife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:21 PM   #14
JRose OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin4melife View Post
If it makes you feel better I was checking the starter motor on a Husky TXC 510 and as soon as I pulled it apart I heard a loud Noooo! in a German accent too (it was me) followed by shizer (scheiBe) as two brushes and springs went flying. Lessons we learn!
Haha. Yeah brother, I don't sweat it. Every experience is a learning one...

I've pretty much successfully figured out everything I know by trial and error. I feel like it's a solid way to learn.

Scary thought though, being I'm a paramedic...
Old 09-14-2013, 12:22 PM   #15
runnin4melife
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
Even scarier I am almost a doctor haha
runnin4melife is offline   Reply With Quote