Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2013, 08:12 AM   #31
joec63
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
Oh my ...aren't you the little rebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Like I tell people, I ride a BMW but I am not a BMW rider.
\
Old 09-14-2013, 09:45 AM   #32
ADVCanuck
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
The way I see it, a wear item that's unwarranted is open for a dealer to express goodwill when it fails prematurely. When in that position, talking to a service manager and striking a deal (when they're amenable) is a better approach than, well, complaining that you had to submit to premature service. Why not pitch a plan to split some costs, in the name of goodwill, and see where that leads?

Since the OP admitted that he was the second owner, then he might not have been privy to any use/abuse the bike underwent before he owned it.

I do agree that parts fail, and bearings are not an exception. Good engineering, materials and tight tolerances help mitigate this and minimize failures - so the OP can certainly address his issue by proactively replacing all of his remaining bearings with ones known to be of that quality. Of course, this means assuming responsibility for the state of your vehicle - which many people aren't prepared to do.

"Wherever you go, there you are" - Jon Kabat-Zinn
ADVCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:08 AM   #33
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post

I have seen a lot of aftermarket windshields on a lot of different bikes and have never seen a melted instrument panel from one and I live in the .
A quick search will expand your knowledge exponentially. The universe of Motorbike experience is much greater than you.

Good day, sir.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:08 AM   #34
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVCanuck View Post
The way I see it, a wear item that's unwarranted is open for a dealer to express goodwill when it fails prematurely. When in that position, talking to a service manager and striking a deal (when they're amenable) is a better approach than, well, complaining that you had to submit to premature service. Why not pitch a plan to split some costs, in the name of goodwill, and see where that leads?

Since the OP admitted that he was the second owner, then he might not have been privy to any use/abuse the bike underwent before he owned it.

I do agree that parts fail, and bearings are not an exception. Good engineering, materials and tight tolerances help mitigate this and minimize failures - so the OP can certainly address his issue by proactively replacing all of his remaining bearings with ones known to be of that quality. Of course, this means assuming responsibility for the state of your vehicle - which many people aren't prepared to do.
Very well said.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:19 AM   #35
soggysandwich
Banned

Oddometer: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post
Melting instruments happen with stock shields, aftermarket shields, and shield on every single motorcycle that is equipped with a clear, curved screen from FJRs to Goldwings.

You talk complete bollocks.

You talk out your ASS.

2003 Yamaha FJR ,,bought it 11 freaking yrs ago,,,,have had stock and aftermarket shields,,,NOTHING ever melted,,instruments still look new !

Idiot !

and wheels bearings are original too....try 60,000 miles

soggysandwich screwed with this post 09-14-2013 at 11:25 AM
soggysandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:27 PM   #36
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,413
I've worked as a motorcycle mechanic at a couple dealers. One was BMW and one a multi-line dealer with Triumph, Husqvarna, Ducati, M.V. Agusta and Moto-Guzzi. The only wheel bearings I changed were in a couple Husqvarna motocrossers. I left the BMW dealer pre f-series twins so I don't have any experience with their wheel bearing problems. If there are any 11XX and 12xx GS owners in this thread especially with high mileage, how many times have you had your wheel bearings fail? Well, on the rear drive, the big bearing acts like a wheel bearing...

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:25 PM   #37
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,978
Yes, quite the rebel, thanks.
Just a person who decided to call bullschitt on BMW, I enjoy it, it really piszes off the Spandau sycophants.
Maybe instrument panels are melting in someone's mind.
BMW rear wheel bearing failure is a widely known problem, affected both the F8 and the 658. Guess the news never made it into some half-arsed BMW newsletter.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:56 AM   #38
btao
Pwned

Oddometer: 936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko View Post
I have never understood why BMW owners annually rank highest in ownership satisfaction and also highest in most warranty claims.
Because they'll never admit it, and will never own a superior product

(we all know it's all about the image )
btao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:10 AM   #39
btao
Pwned

Oddometer: 936
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post

The good part is there aren't any real competitors-- yet.
Beg to differ sir! The past 3 years have changed history. BMW is now only a "top 3 competitor" to the Tiger 800XC and the Yamaha Super Tenere according to almost every review I could Google. They won this year with their slightly redesigned 1200GS, and the Tiger and Tenere won the previous years.

The battle is on!
btao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:11 AM   #40
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by btao View Post
Because they'll never admit it, and will never own a superior product

(we all know it's all about the image )

Right!! I see a lot of that here. Actually I see a lot of the opposite. F800 owners seem to line up to get their complaint in print.

What I have seen here, is posters actually recommending a competitors bike, if the BMW models don't seem to fit a questioner's goal.

I think my F800gs is better suited for where I ride, than your "perfect" Triumph. I spent some money to make it do that. Right or wrong, WTF should you care.

I wish I knew what causes Triumph owners to not only brag about their bike, but find it necessary to trash the competition. Leave your BS over in Beast.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:16 AM   #41
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
Right!! I see a lot of that here.

I wish I knew what causes BMW owners and Spandau sycophants working as unpaid marketing minions to not only brag about their bike, but find it necessary to trash the competition.
All fixed up, as per the "service campaign" as BMW refers to what is a manufacturer's recall. LOL!
Old 09-16-2013, 08:26 AM   #42
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

You will have to interpret that for me. Don't misinterpret my sig line. It came from some dweeb in customer relations. I find It kind of ironic.

It did my whining, grew up, fixed the problems and gone on with life.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:34 AM   #43
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Sure, about 90% of BMW owners I have met feel strangely obligated to tolerate poor quality parts, worthless guarantees, stone age customer service, and eagerly over pay for everything. BMW knows this and use it to their advantage.
Ever notice who Ewan MacGregor whores for nowadays? It aint Spandau.
BMW wasnt even his first choice.
If BMW built cars with the same amount of issues as the F bikes, they'd be laughed at.
90% of BMW riders will gladly pay $800 for a fuel filter, the other 10% protest this and find workarounds.
Defending Motorrad is a bizarre self-obligation for some, others just change brands and ride happier.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:38 AM   #44
fallingoff
Banned

Oddometer: 3,677
BMW warranties waste of time.
Love the bikes
But total lack of faith
In their warranties , service, manners etc.
That's at their dealer level and national level.
Very sad as I always believed they were better
Than the other Marques ,
I was wrong.
Wheel bearing, cheap to fix for great goodwill.
Cheers
fallingoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:18 AM   #45
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

The OP bought a used bike and had a bearing failure. He now wants the dealer to pay for it. Read the warranty, it excludes wear items. Some bearings were replaced under warranty, but the owners bought from the dealer giving it.

I had a different experience with my bike. I got it before they were in the showrooms. I had a list of problems, before the rest of you could read about them on the Internet. All were fixed under warranty and I have not had a problem since. Maybe I am just lucky or maybe because I have enough sense to mitigate some things before they happen.

Wow, they vibrate. I never owned a bike with more than 2 cylinders, no surprise to me. If I needed the smoothest engine I would gone electric. I checked my steering head, I grease my wheel bearings on every tire change, I change my oil at 4,000 miles, I bought a shock brace, I don't let the bike set for long periods with gas in it, I learned early on it is not a dirt bike, so I changed the suspension, put more air in my tires and I don't have problems.

If I still had all the problems some of you do, I would sell it and buy something else. Life is too short to spend your time and wasting mine bitching about it.

I really do not like Corporate BMW. The company logo should be "I have never seen that before". I like my bike the way I have set it up. As long as it remains problem free, I will keep it. If something better suited for what I want, I will buy that. Neither the Triumph or Super Teneree fit my criteria. Too heavy and too street orientated.

itsatdm screwed with this post 09-16-2013 at 09:27 AM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote