Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2013, 08:19 PM   #1
PlznMySoul OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Wink My short Ocala National forest ride today...

So I decided to take a nice little ride today north towards Ocala. While Snaking through the back roads staying off the interstate I had plenty of company. Those f***ing love bugs where out in full effect. . Surprisingly enough, there where a lot of cruisers out. They typically stay in doors when the love bugs fly. I got a kick out of passing some with no lid or shield on. Cruising, ducking, wiping and tasting the love juice. ..

Speaking of....

RANT ON....I get the feeling they don't care for non cruiser types eh? I also ride a cruiser and its a habit to acknowledge via wave or nod other bikers regardless of what they ride. So same habit applies here and it's funny to see the reaction or NO reaction. Most of the ones who do not acknowledge are the dayum posers!!! OK. RANT OFF...

I ended up entering the Ocala National Forest on 301 & 42. I'm rolling in search of something exciting. I come up on this and i say to myself....time to test her riding in SAND. Lower tire pressure...ABS off, turn on phone GPS and lets do it....

I'm sure all of you local Ocala guys know all about this area but its new to me. Looked to be a good road of compact sand with some loose/deep spots spread out. I quickly learned how to get that tail to wag by gassing it. .

I came across one Jeep full of kids and that's all. I just followed the road around seeing where it would put me out. I had enough daylight and fuel to turn around if needed. I came up on a "Y" in the road. I stayed right. This is where I quickly learned....there is no turning your wheel to turn right,you need to lean and get that tail wag on. The one thing I did notice is the SAND changes on you! It went from RED to light red and then white...more to come on the white sand..

I'm rolling at a steady pace, the road changed a bit as the sand became a little deeper and a lot more wagging going on. Passing a lot of private entrances which I believe are hunting clubs, etc. A lot of side trails for those who have the right wheels to ride but me and my stockers looked and smiled as we passed the by. After a few miles I see a road that based on my direction should put me back on 42. I take it.... The road turns into a 2 track trail..ok no issue. Packed sand is my friend. I ride further and there is another "Y". I stay right and a few yards more that road ends in a cleared area. OK..no problem... Enough room to Turn around without issue. Now im heading the other way. The trail gets tighter...no problem. The trees hide the sun for some cooling relief however, the sand starts getting lighter and deeper....Yeah...Problem. Ummmm...I don't have knobbies and this is getting "Interesting" I need to turn around... yeah right! Simple huh... Forgetaboutit!

This is the half way point of turning around. This was after 5 min of my workout. That sand in the middle and sides was loose and deeper than I thought. My vertically challenged self had to Push-pull-push- pull to a point where I could gas it out.. prior attempts failed. Although she did not go to sleep, she made my ass work for it.

If I had knobbies or was not solo, I would have probably kept going.

So after that 15 min delay to include a much needed water and snack break,I was heading back on my way. Once back to the main dirt road, I made the right and eventually found a road that led me back out on 42. From there I rode up to 19 then over to 40 eventually making my way to Silver Springs where I reluctantly hit 75 South back to the house.

I would say...Today was a good day.

PlznMySoul screwed with this post 09-15-2013 at 04:13 AM
PlznMySoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:29 PM   #2
Huzband
Team Dirt

Oddometer: 3,835
I'll see your 800, & raise you 1150.

'90 RM250
IBA #30344
Huzband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 02:28 AM   #3
PlznMySoul OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158

Good one!
PlznMySoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:42 PM   #4
5 speed
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 843
Love Ocala, ride there all the time. Riding the 950 up there tomorrow. usually stay off the numbered trails for the most part as thats why I have a 530. Its dry this weekend so far and the white sand is not very friendly to the 950. I do finally have a steering stabilizer on the way which will help but its still not my favorite. My favorite is lighting up the rear tire while blasting down the dirt roads at a somewhat overzealous speed, shall we say.

Anyhow if anyone is going up there tomorrow shoot me an email. I usally ride up off 11 the paved road that runs through the forest between 40 and 314.
5 speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:52 PM   #5
sfront
Chaos in Motion

Oddometer: 935
Where do you hit the forest off SR11?

STEVE

So what if it was short....I still had a great time!!!
sfront is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:03 PM   #6
waybill
cheap thrill

Oddometer: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfront View Post
That would be a good trick

Probably meant FR11, I think it's the old FR88, the only paved one. Runs between 40 and Lake Kerr.

1150Adv, 950Adv, 800GS, TR650, DR350
waybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:10 PM   #7
GBAUTO
Bambi Assassin

Oddometer: 46
You want some sand? Try riding through some of the orange groves around Lake Wales. That will give you a good appreciation of what those nuts riding through the Sahara have to endure. Of course, growing up in that area and riding those hills made it seem normal.
'03 SV1000S
GBAUTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:04 AM   #8
5 speed
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfront View Post

Off 40 right across from the fire tower. Public Shooting range is right there on the right. Maybe its forest road 11? Any way normally park up on 50 If I hall the 530
5 speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 12:03 PM   #9
mortoduc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
That road used to be 88, think its 511 now, any old school fire EMS employes still call it 88
mortoduc is offline   Reply With Quote