Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2013, 07:53 AM   #991
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by MookieBlaylock View Post
mt09 will be the anti euro snob backlash champion
Jeeeezz, are putting Triumph riders into the snob category? Or any other brand loyal group for that matter?
Does it make your penis feel bigger to denigrate others?

Me thinks you know not what you speak.

Regards, Paul

Roadscum screwed with this post 09-14-2013 at 07:58 AM
Roadscum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:58 AM   #992
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,058
Perhaps he's thinking more about MV's or Aprilia's. Triumphs have never seemed snob bikes to me, but we are not in Europe to experience MC life there... tp
Old 09-14-2013, 08:45 AM   #993
Blueshark
Coastal Castaway

Oddometer: 172
In choosing between Y and T, local dealer makes a diff to me. Those of you who do all your own service may not care. YMMV.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:52 AM   #994
jas67
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triplepawed View Post
In choosing between Y and T, local dealer makes a diff to me. Those of you who do all your own service may not care. YMMV.
The two Triumph dealers closest to me are also Yamaha dealers.
Honda: 01 VFR800, 76 CB400F, 68 CL175, plus other vintage Hondas.
2007 Vespa GTS250ie
jas67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:14 AM   #995
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas67 View Post
The two Triumph dealers closest to me are also Yamaha dealers.
Will they let you demo both at the two locations? If only one will, that may help in deciding where to buy. My T dealer is also a Y dealer and they have demos for most all street bikes, They sell Duc's too, and if you can prove you are serious, you can test a Paningale...
Old 09-14-2013, 12:29 PM   #996
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadscum View Post
Jeeeezz, are putting Triumph riders into the snob category? Or any other brand loyal group for that matter?
Does it make your penis feel bigger to denigrate others?

Me thinks you know not what you speak.

Regards, Paul
holy fuck you are wound up tight !
i am a uro snob. i like my vws ducs ktms cagivas etc but it's nice to see a Japanese company produce competitive bikes
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 01:16 PM   #997
IndyChizzle
Inspired by Trevor W

Oddometer: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdreamer50 View Post
Ergos may also play a significant part in the decision making process. Checking with cycle-ergo.com, the ST bends my knees 8 degrees more and gives me a forward lean of 21 degrees over the more standard or dual sport style of ergos of the FZ. I know many like that sportier seating position, but at my age, the upright one is more for me.

Looks like you have to ring the ST's neck to get to where the power is, being a 675cc. Not everyone likes to spin the engine up all the time. Like has been said, there are many factors in deciding which bike is right for you/me...tp
+1. I couldn't agree more. As someone who owned and then sold a Speed Triple because of its cramped seating position, I'm looking forward to test riding this Yamaha as soon as it comes out.
IndyChizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 03:10 PM   #998
Mtneer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Street Triple is a bit cramped, as far as having to spin it up all the time, it has a really good spread of power for the motor, I have owned a lot of middle weight bikes, this motor is one of my favorites. If the Yamaha power to weight is as claimed, it should be one fun bike, maybe it will make Triumph make an 800 that runs as well as their Street Triple.
Mtneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 03:49 PM   #999
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Triumph has the engine already, used in the Tiger 800 line. Tweak it for some more HP and keep the price in the 675's range and the race with the FZ would be on....
Old 09-14-2013, 04:51 PM   #1000
skortch
mmm... curvy

Oddometer: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtneer View Post
Street Triple is a bit cramped, as far as having to spin it up all the time, it has a really good spread of power for the motor, I have owned a lot of middle weight bikes, this motor is one of my favorites. If the Yamaha power to weight is as claimed, it should be one fun bike, maybe it will make Triumph make an 800 that runs as well as their Street Triple.
Or... just insert the stock Daytona 675 engine (even last year's previous gen version) in the Striple. Easy way to tack on 15+ hp without adding any weight or needing any extra engineering.

As much as I liked the Street Triple the Daytona engine was just that much more.

skortch screwed with this post 09-15-2013 at 08:33 AM
skortch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 05:11 PM   #1001
DFH
270 deg crank

Oddometer: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdreamer50 View Post
Triumph has the engine already, used in the Tiger 800 line. Tweak it for some more HP and keep the price in the 675's range and the race with the FZ would be on....
Except that the tiger 800 makes less power than the 675 street triple. It is unlikely to be tuneable for more power as the capacity increase over the 675 was obtained by stroking the engine, a good idea for an off-road capable engine with better bottom end torque but limits the ability to rev. The new Daytona 675 however has a shorter stroke than the street triple engine AND barrels cast separately from the crankcase so an 800 version of that isn't off the cards.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:14 PM   #1002
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFH View Post
Except that the tiger 800 makes less power than the 675 street triple.
Exhaust, Header, Cams and a re-map give a 20 HP bump to the 800.

16 HP without the header.

Old 09-15-2013, 01:20 AM   #1003
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,695
here is a pretty good comprehensive review. at least from a street riding perspective as the bike seems well put through its paces. some have seen this but maybe some have not and don't use youtube? so i am posting it. seems a good bike and this review makes it sound near great for what it is. some cons of course but even the reviewer said those could be nitpicks as they stand out just because the bike is so good overall :)

Old 09-15-2013, 07:06 AM   #1004
DFH
270 deg crank

Oddometer: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Exhaust, Header, Cams and a re-map give a 20 HP bump to the 800.

16 HP without the header.

800 uses same head & valves as the Street Triple 675. The limitation is piston speeds. Using the cams from the Street triple would be pointless as the 800 is rev limited by its long stroke. Look at the bore/stroke ratio for the Brutale 800 & the MT-09 compared to the Tiger 800. Using the Daytona cams would be even more pointless, remember up to 2012 the only differences between the Street Triple & the Daytona was the cams, necessitating forged pistons & up spec inlet valves to live with the extra revs the Daytona remap needed to work. Adding the Daytona spec cams, pipe & map will do frog-all to the output of the tiger 800.
Old 09-15-2013, 03:08 PM   #1005
Bama67
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-cosmic View Post
This bike is growing on me... Luv this pic... It was taken at the abandone Salonit factory, where the presentation was held.

Picture quoted for sexyness.

I am trying to figure out what all they did to that one: pipe, radiator covers, screen, what else?

That thing is looking sharp, and what is crazy is that with that Akra system and maybe a lithium battery, you very well could be sub 400lbs wet. That is pretty incredible for a budget bike like this, with this much power.