Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2013, 03:35 AM   #1
Kruhy OP
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Round the UK

Hi folks,

For my holidays this year I am going to UK in mid September. I will have 5 days to roam the island. My starting point will be London and I would like to see York, Edinburgh, Manchester, Scottish Highlands, Peak District and Lake District.

I made some research and know I want to take route A82 Glasgow - Inverness which would be a connection between Scottish Highlands and Edinburgh, ride through Hardknott Pass in Lake District looks interesting and Buxton to Macclesfield in Peak District also looks inviting. But that are only 3 pieces of 2,000 km route, therefore I would need some help with planning the rest of my route. My priorities would be great views and fun ride (if the weather will be kind), so I would like to avoid boring stretches of highways as much as possible.

So Brits of ADVrider.com, you can please help me find the best route around your island?
Kruhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:28 AM   #2
Hayastani
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
You would be advised to reduce the mileage you wish to cover in the UK. Whereas it may be possible to pass through all the cities and areas in the five day you will have precious little time to stop and enjoy any one of them. The UK is a small island but it has a very high density of traffic making covering long distances in such a short period of time difficult.

As your starting is London maybe you should limit yourself to parts of England only, possibly Peak District, Manchester and York. Scotland is an excellent place to visit and warrants far longer than five days once there, rather than part of a five day visit to the UK. I hope this helps.
Hayastani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:48 AM   #3
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,773
It can be done but it'll be 5-6 hours of riding every day and you'll have to compromise on a bit of highway riding.

London - York - North Yorks Moors
North Yorks Moors - Kielder - Inverness
Inverness - Fort William - Lake District
Lake District - Yorkshire Dales - Manchester - Peak District
Peak District - Cotswolds - London

1,300 miles, 27 hours of riding. Big days but perfectly doable if you've a mind to get cracking every morning.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN

Wildman screwed with this post 08-27-2013 at 06:29 AM
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:04 PM   #4
Mark Manley
On my way

Oddometer: 598
As has been said it is possible to visit most but probably not all of the places you would like to in 5 days but you will actually see little of them. I would suggest you limit yourself to 2 or 3 of those closest to London and find out what you would most like to see in them.
I would get a copy of Michelin map 504 South East England and plan your journey using the scenic routes marked in green to see some of our fabulous countryside, the view from our motorways is as boring as from any other.

"You've got to think for yourselves! You're all individuals!"-Brian of Nazareth
Mark Manley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:30 AM   #5
Roeligan
Belgium power!!!

Oddometer: 503
Do a google search for UK bike 8.
Will be riding it as of next saturday. Should be nice :)

Verstuurd van mijn GT-I8190 met Tapatalk
Roeligan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:28 AM   #6
tekebird
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
few years ago we did a similar trip...but in 7 days

London-Stonehenge-wales-lake district-Glen Coe-Skye-John o groats- edinburg and back to London.

only real highway stuff was Edinburgh south, just to cover ground. From Stonehenge to Edninburgh 2 lane roads 95% of the time
tekebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:22 AM   #7
yorkieterrier
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
It will be interesting to see how you get on, in regards to distance travelled each day and time taken compared to their calculations.
Also how much time you spend stopping for pictures etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roeligan View Post
Do a google search for UK bike 8.
Will be riding it as of next saturday. Should be nice :)

Verstuurd van mijn GT-I8190 met Tapatalk
yorkieterrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:06 AM   #8
Roeligan
Belgium power!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkieterrier View Post
It will be interesting to see how you get on, in regards to distance travelled each day and time taken compared to their calculations.

Will let you know. We'll start this Saturday in the morning near Hull (Ferry coming from Zeebrugge); and have to be back in Hull on Tuesday afternoon the week after. So that gives us like 10 days; should be sufficient. Last month we crossed the Alps towards Hungary, average of 300km per day, mainly on smaller roads (never highway).
Will be riding down from hull towards Wales; then up in NE direction to come down passing Glasgow towards Hull again.
Old 09-13-2013, 02:51 AM   #9
Roeligan
Belgium power!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkieterrier View Post
We did the tour, without any issues (besides finding some place to sleep/eet a few times due to everything booked ).
Did an average of just above 300km per day; drove for 9.5 days and did an extra 'detour' to John O'Groats (northern tip of Scotland (up via the east coast, down through the highlands). And all that, on 3 Harley's this time :)
Was well worth it.
Western Scotland is really stunning!
Old 09-16-2013, 11:23 AM   #10
KipperMatic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
I've done London - Birmingham - Manchester - Carlisle - Gretna (Scotland borders)
Dumfries - Kirkudbright - Girvan - Glaesga (missed an evening here due to Lord Buckfast and the Buckie orchestra)
Headed back south

Hawick - Newcastle - Hull - Peterbrough - London

5 days... including overnights Manchester, Glasgow, Newcastle

Nice side roads, off the "M" roads and head into the real lands. Galloway region of Scotland is wonderful.
This trip didnt bring me anywhere near my family home of Aberdeen.