Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2013, 03:29 PM   #31
Voz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by motocrotts View Post
What problems have you had with the Varios? I was with a guy and we were touring the SE usa. Rained the entire trip. He must of had 40 lbs of hair care products in each bag. I swear it took us both to carry them into the hotel. Bags were water tight the entire trip. Same guy on west coast trip with Jesse bags and all his Hair care products rusted.
Hilarious post!

2013 R1200 GSW Red - Blown Engine & Gearbox (clutch basket nut issue)
2015 R1200 GSW White - On order to replace blown up 13 GSW
Voz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:30 PM   #32
motocrotts
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voz View Post
Hilarious post!
Guy's an airplane pilot, 62 and not a grey hair! Doesn't shave for a few days and starts to look like Santy Claus, still not a grey hair on his head. As a matter of fact looks like a beaver parked on it. That takes maintenance dude, and a lot of hair care products. Great guy even if he does look like Paul McCartney.
few other oldies
motocrotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:48 AM   #33
mefly2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket100 View Post
Appreciate the replies, and maybe a little more background is required to address the obvious question - why don't I just go down and try both at the BMW dealer? I am planning to do that next week, but to be honest, because I am a real newbie on big bikes, I doubt I will be able to tell the difference on a test drive. Back in the 80s I put 50,000 miles on a Kawasaki 400, but only got back into biking a couple of years ago on my 650GS. From the real veterans here it sounds like, except for initial quality concerns, cost and (arguably) some types of off-road riding, most think the new model is a pretty big leap forward. But the 2008-2012 is a great bike and would do me more than adequately for a few years as well as leave a fair chunk of change in my pocket for other bad habits.
Cricket ... did the same with a Kaw 400 back in the mid seventies, then a string of BMWs. The 1150 was a great bike but I wanted to try something like my older R80 size-wise. The F650GS was not my cup of tea and my big mistake was riding a GSW. I bought it and have to say that it was the best riding / handling combo bike that I have owned. I am not sure, however, that this particular iteration/specimen has earned my confidence for long distance travel due to all of the electronics. It is currently still sitting at my dealer after a software / computer update gone awry. Unlike aircraft, there is no redundancy engineered into this techno marvel.
** What the 13 GSW does have is improved performance from both the engine and lengthened swing arm; ride it to feel and believe it **
Touratech: Upper Crash Bars, big foot, pannier rack, ZegaPro panniers;
Fuzeblock, Rigid Dually D2 + yellow covers; Wunderlich bar risers w/ Q-adjust

mefly2 screwed with this post 09-16-2013 at 09:56 PM
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:22 AM   #34
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Oddometer: 6,738
Thread could have been closed on the second post....

If you want a streetbike..and can afford to let it sit at the dealer to be fixed, (if you get one of "those")..get a waterhead..

If you want a bike to ride..that works offroad too..has most the bugs out, will allow you to drag knee..and can live with the same goverened speed..but, more low end power delivery, buy a previous generation..
VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:25 AM   #35
lulo
Cochino Aventurero

Oddometer: 1,132
I cant comment on the wc gs, however ill add my .2, im a hooligan at heart and do some off road but mostly very aggressive on road riding. after many deliberation I was between an s10 and a gsa (regular gs wasn't my cup of tea) since I wanted a mostly simple machine that I could service myself w sensible service intervals that I could spend more time riding on that wrenching on.

at the end I went for the gsa since its been a mostly tried and thru machine that handles and brakes exceptionally well, so much so that makes up for the power delivery that say more performance machines the likes of ktm and ducati can deliver, a machine that holds its value rather well over time independent of new model upgrades, the ease of service when in need of wrench time and lastly because and extra set of 17 wheels was not only easily attainable but also tried to be a very good handling mod for street time only.

6 months and 10k later I can report I could not be happier with it, couple months Into ownership I was having lots of awkward feelings towards the engine, missed the surge of power of all my previous big twins and missed being able to hooligan my way around on certain occasions so decided to address the poor running settings from factory....no more awkward thoughts, my gsa is a hooligan, this machine just grows and grows on ya.

bottom line, It can be as tame as a Harley eating miles on the hwy, as vivacious off road as a middle weight adventure bike, as hooligan in the city as a motard, as aggressive as a superbike on a windy road all the meantime while being fully saddled up w my girl riding 2 up.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:36 PM   #36
deacon51
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
I wanted cruse control.
deacon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 02:59 PM   #37
TBob
Offroad Fab Guy

Oddometer: 692

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGASGSA View Post
Thread could have been closed on the second post....

If you want a streetbike..and can afford to let it sit at the dealer to be fixed, (if you get one of "those")..get a waterhead..

If you want a bike to ride..that works offroad too..has most the bugs out, will allow you to drag knee..and can live with the same goverened speed..but, more low end power delivery, buy a previous generation..
Garden of Eden, the Sierra Club would have.
TBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:02 PM   #38
vikingolly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
LC GSA Hear I Come!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deacon51 View Post
I wanted cruse control.
I loved my R80 for 230,000km. Then an RT and now a F800GS which is for sale. I nearly bought a current R1200GS, LC, but having compared the features, I will wait with baited breath for the Intermot announcement of the GSA in the first week of October.

For those who have been looking, the LC GS is a COMPLETELY different bike. The swing arm is on the left and 5cm longer. The screen is adjustable from the riding position. GPS is included. And cruise control. Even Harley has fly-by-wire throttles and cruise control nowadays!

Despite the fact that a good GSA can be had for about $16000 in Australia, and the new LC GSA is likely to be - deep breath - $32,000, I want one. I suspect that by the time the Adventure arrives the bugs will have been largely ironed out. My deposit is down for the GSA.

"There are NO coincidences." (102 year old lady in a church in Scotland)

BMW R1200 GSA 2007 and 2014 GSW (USA), HD Ultra CVO 2013, in Australia
vikingolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:07 PM   #39
TBob
Offroad Fab Guy

Oddometer: 692
Over hear the gps is not included. The mount is on one of the packages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingolly View Post
I loved my R80 for 230,000km. Then an RT and now a F800GS which is for sale. I nearly bought a current R1200GS, LC, but having compared the features, I will wait with baited breath for the Intermot announcement of the GSA in the first week of October.

For those who have been looking, the LC GS is a COMPLETELY different bike. The swing arm is on the left and 5cm longer. The screen is adjustable from the riding position. GPS is included. And cruise control. Even Harley has fly-by-wire throttles and cruise control nowadays!

Despite the fact that a good GSA can be had for about $16000 in Australia, and the new LC GSA is likely to be - deep breath - $32,000, I want one. I suspect that by the time the Adventure arrives the bugs will have been largely ironed out. My deposit is down for the GSA.
Garden of Eden, the Sierra Club would have.
TBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:47 PM   #40
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by lulo View Post
I cant comment on the wc gs, however ill add my .2, im a hooligan at heart and do some off road but mostly very aggressive on road riding. after many deliberation I was between an s10 and a gsa (regular gs wasn't my cup of tea) since I wanted a mostly simple machine that I could service myself w sensible service intervals that I could spend more time riding on that wrenching on.

at the end I went for the gsa since its been a mostly tried and thru machine that handles and brakes exceptionally well, so much so that makes up for the power delivery that say more performance machines the likes of ktm and ducati can deliver, a machine that holds its value rather well over time independent of new model upgrades, the ease of service when in need of wrench time and lastly because and extra set of 17 wheels was not only easily attainable but also tried to be a very good handling mod for street time only.

6 months and 10k later I can report I could not be happier with it, couple months Into ownership I was having lots of awkward feelings towards the engine, missed the surge of power of all my previous big twins and missed being able to hooligan my way around on certain occasions so decided to address the poor running settings from factory....no more awkward thoughts, my gsa is a hooligan, this machine just grows and grows on ya.

bottom line, It can be as tame as a Harley eating miles on the hwy, as vivacious off road as a middle weight adventure bike, as hooligan in the city as a motard, as aggressive as a superbike on a windy road all the meantime while being fully saddled up w my girl riding 2 up.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:07 PM   #41
Prodaddy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Yes, That much better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket100 View Post
I am graduating from a 650GS (lost in a flood - a long story) and going to buy a 1200GS. I can get a low mileage (10,000km) 2010 or 2011 for about 75% of the cost of the new water cooled model - a fairly serious saving. I am the kind of person that keeps his vehicles 7-8 years. Probably will ride only 5-6000 km on a good year (short summers in Canada). Some back roads and logging roads but 90% or better on the street or highway.

So is the new GS that much better and any advice to someone in my position on which one to go with? Thanks.
I just put 31K on a late 2010 GS and 20K on a 650 Thumper before that and last week bought a 2013 WC. It is the most incredible bike i've ever ridden. It is fast and light on it's feet. Going into a turn just twist on the throttle and flick it up on the center line coming out. And if I need to pass and there is just a crack of daylight, I never worry if I can make it. If it turns out to be as bulletproof as the other two, then it will be worth every penny. But I realized after a few hundred miles, that It took those 50K on the other two for me to really appreciate this bike. But maybe that's just me...
Prodaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:22 PM   #42
FargAT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
I was on the fence of either buying a GSA or waiting for the release of the GSAW. In the end, I figured I'll be better off buying a decent used GSA (found a killer spec'd out '11) and wait for the GSAW to come around used.

Logical reasoning; I have an ABSOLUTE aversion to taking the first hit of depreciation. I could handle the price tag on my '11, knowing that I'll drop some value in the years to come, but the curve of loss has certainly settled a bit.

Also, do I need CC? The friction cruise control I have on the GSA works absolutely flawless. So much so, that a brief adjustment when the in/decline asks for it, are plenty enough to stay on speed.
Comfort wise; I feel at home on the GSA, including its mammoth width.

Bottom line: If you don't mind the extra $$$, I'm sure the GSAW is a great choice. If you're more budget conscious, a good used GS(A) should do the trick and keep you going until the WC versions are at the same range of a reasonably used & priced pre-owned one.

just my 2c.
FargAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:53 PM   #43
spartanman
regret minimizer

Oddometer: 946
Similar discussions no doubt accompanied the arrival of oilheads. That said, I question the need for water cooling, which adds complexity to what was a simple, bulletproof engine design. As others have said and I agree, the new GS appears to be channeling the Multistrada 1200. I owned a 2010 MTS. It ripped, but I honestly prefer my R1150 GS Adventure. I've also ridden a hexhead GS. Again, for me, the 1150 comes out on top. It's comfortable, has great range, handles better than it should, does an honest 116 mph , and just looks cool.
spartanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 03:49 AM   #44
Prodaddy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Cruise Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by FargAT View Post
I was on the fence of either buying a GSA or waiting for the release of the GSAW. In the end, I figured I'll be better off buying a decent used GSA (found a killer spec'd out '11) and wait for the GSAW to come around used.

Logical reasoning; I have an ABSOLUTE aversion to taking the first hit of depreciation. I could handle the price tag on my '11, knowing that I'll drop some value in the years to come, but the curve of loss has certainly settled a bit.

Also, do I need CC? The friction cruise control I have on the GSA works absolutely flawless. So much so, that a brief adjustment when the in/decline asks for it, are plenty enough to stay on speed.
Comfort wise; I feel at home on the GSA, including its mammoth width.

Bottom line: If you don't mind the extra $$$, I'm sure the GSAW is a great choice. If you're more budget conscious, a good used GS(A) should do the trick and keep you going until the WC versions are at the same range of a reasonably used & priced pre-owned one.

just my 2c.
Just bought a new LC, cruise control helped my decision. After 50k the last couple of years on a 2010 GS (which I really loved) I developed tendonitis in the forearm of my throttle hand and some in the thumb of my left hand, ice just wasn't doing it. I knew right away that if i didn't do something and let this condition become chronic, my riding days were numbered. Not only is the LC an incredible ride, the CC is allowing me to alternate between the two hands, even on back roads. I see a great improvement, especially in the throttle hand. But I have to admit, there are times I crank 'er open on the twisties, pain be damned...
Prodaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:15 AM   #45
fivetimeson129
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
spartanman-as an origninal owner of a '95 1100 I would take a bit of exception to your 1150 comments but I do have to say that you sir, have nailed it.

The timeline has 'progressed' from proven design that would get you anywhere you wanted to go and back, rapidly or not, without temperature induced drama or drama of any sort really to plastic covered fluff-thank you Mr. Robb- and now to 38% water cooled and 62% air cooled plastic covered fluff.
fivetimeson129 is offline   Reply With Quote