ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-15-2013, 03:06 PM   #1876
hwunger
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: Left Coast
Oddometer: 279
outstanding story

I finally registered because of this incredible story - outstanding !

Particularly enjoyed the two ocean voyages (Darien and Atlantic) as well the fantastic TransAmazonica ride - did not know that road existed, very well done .... and of course Argentina, my homeland.

Could have done without the incessant whining about the clearing of land - hey people need jobs and if we want to eat, ride motorcycles, and enjoy the Internet we need to clear land and mine for gold, copper, iron, and aluminium, oh and oil for petrol and all the plastics !

Good thing it did not keep you from enjoying Argentina and a good Asado with Mate and Empanadas - hope you also got to try some Malbec, Futbol, and Tango my friend.

All the best - glad you made it. Now I want a DP bike for sure :)
hwunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:22 AM   #1877
motolab
Beastly Adventurer
 
motolab's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Oddometer: 2,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammin View Post




Regards,

Derek
motolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:18 AM   #1878
Jammin OP
Living on a DR
 
Jammin's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: New Delhi - new 'home' for post RTW
Oddometer: 1,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlurr View Post
HA! finally someone who agrees with me that humans are like deer crossing a road!
Most definitely! Run in front and then stop and stare. Egad. In India, it's worse. They just start walking without looking and then finally when it's almost too late, they give a sideways glance to traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboveangkor View Post
Here in Cambodia the water buffalo rule the road.They just keep going after they start.The cows will start...stop...turn around...think about it...then get hit by me.Three times.The female dogs are just the same.The male dogs look first [ something the people don't do ] then watch you as they cross.
Jay I found this site through your RR.If your ever over this way give me a call.Been here for years.Cambodia is like a little India.
Oh yes, buffaloes are different from cows in their road crossing ability Will get in touch if I'm coming down there. cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwunger View Post
I finally registered because of this incredible story - outstanding !
Particularly enjoyed the two ocean voyages (Darien and Atlantic) as well the fantastic TransAmazonica ride - did not know that road existed, very well done .... and of course Argentina, my homeland.
Could have done without the incessant whining about the clearing of land - hey people need jobs and if we want to eat, ride motorcycles, and enjoy the Internet we need to clear land and mine for gold, copper, iron, and aluminium, oh and oil for petrol and all the plastics !
Good thing it did not keep you from enjoying Argentina and a good Asado with Mate and Empanadas - hope you also got to try some Malbec, Futbol, and Tango my friend.
All the best - glad you made it. Now I want a DP bike for sure :)
Thank you, kind sir. Yes, the water voyages are a highlight for me. My point of talking about those issues was just that, to get us talking about them more Amigo, I loved Argentina! Great asados, lovely people and more than malbec and wines, I enjoyed Fernet!
Get a DR and ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by motolab View Post

Regards,
Derek
Haha, I wonder what kind of dreams (or nightmares) number 83 must be having, sitting all quiet in motion in a museum now...
__________________
J A Y on a 98 Suzuki DR650SE (sanDRina)

Trip Website: JamminGlobal.com
Current Ride Report: Global South | Past Trips: CDR '09, Alaska '08, Mexico '07 | YouTube Videos
Jammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:22 AM   #1879
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams
 
Adv Grifter's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Passing ADV Stalkers in California
Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
Haha, I wonder what kind of dreams (or nightmares) number 83 must be having, sitting all quiet in motion in a museum now...
Hey Jay,
Hope all is well! Just glanced at your article in ADV Dual Sport news here in the USA. I'll have time to read it later ... very nice effort by the looks of it!


That #83 bike was Reg Pridmore's Superbike winner from the mid 70's ... Reg won the very first year of AMA Superbike series on that BMW. But that was it for BMW. They never won or even entered race bikes much at all after that. 30 years on they've finally got back on track with the new RR1000 superbikes, which have done really well! ... better late than never!
The spectacular crash pic is famous ... I think Photog Mush Emmons shot it? No idea on details of the crash.

Take care ... we all support your efforts abroad!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:11 AM   #1880
motolab
Beastly Adventurer
 
motolab's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Oddometer: 2,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
That #83 bike was Reg Pridmore's Superbike winner from the mid 70's ... Reg won the very first year of AMA Superbike series on that BMW. But that was it for BMW.
#83 was Steve McLaughlin rather than Reg Pridmore's bike.

Regards,

Derek
motolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:47 AM   #1881
rahza
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Malaysia
Oddometer: 32
Thumb Hi JAy

Still doing or improvising your Chicken curry with new recipe? well i hope your adventure in India wont stop. It is a great country and i must say it has a lot to see. when are you going to south east asia.
so did you get busy with a your new job or still waiting? i am very interested in the water purification and process the water after its been use. well the will be a lot of waste and if not properly manage will pollute the water more and it will be hard on the people again.
so now are you residing in New delhi or some other place?
good report with stories and pictures.
cheers

azhar
rahza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:24 AM   #1882
Jammin OP
Living on a DR
 
Jammin's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: New Delhi - new 'home' for post RTW
Oddometer: 1,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Take care ... we all support your efforts abroad!


Quote:
Originally Posted by rahza View Post
Still doing or improvising your Chicken curry with new recipe? well i hope your adventure in India wont stop. It is a great country and i must say it has a lot to see. when are you going to south east asia.
so did you get busy with a your new job or still waiting? i am very interested in the water purification and process the water after its been use. well the will be a lot of waste and if not properly manage will pollute the water more and it will be hard on the people again.
so now are you residing in New delhi or some other place?
good report with stories and pictures.
cheers

azhar
Hi Azhar, yes, I'm staying in New Delhi now. Still looking for what to do next... slowly working on writing the book and giving some presentations on my trip. South East Asia, yes, I'd like to ride there. As soon as Mynammar opens up, I'm riding down!
__________________
J A Y on a 98 Suzuki DR650SE (sanDRina)

Trip Website: JamminGlobal.com
Current Ride Report: Global South | Past Trips: CDR '09, Alaska '08, Mexico '07 | YouTube Videos
Jammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:29 AM   #1883
Jammin OP
Living on a DR
 
Jammin's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: New Delhi - new 'home' for post RTW
Oddometer: 1,525
Press: Featured on Endeavour360.com, A Curation of Adventure Travelers

September 10, 2013

Big thanks to Iain Harper from the The Ted Simon Foundation for featuring my trip on http://Endeavour360.com! This is a new site curated by Iain that "celebrates thought-provoking journeys, challenging expeditions and the explorers who venture into their personal terra incognita to make them."

This shot was taken in northern Sudan, just past Wadi Halfa, about a thousand clicks from Khartoum across the Sahara...

http://endeavour360.com/2013/08/jay-kannaiyan


__________________
J A Y on a 98 Suzuki DR650SE (sanDRina)

Trip Website: JamminGlobal.com
Current Ride Report: Global South | Past Trips: CDR '09, Alaska '08, Mexico '07 | YouTube Videos
Jammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:54 AM   #1884
TheBlurr
Beastly Adventurer
 
TheBlurr's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: Montana
Oddometer: 4,855
Did you wash the bike for the photo?
TheBlurr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:26 AM   #1885
Jammin OP
Living on a DR
 
Jammin's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: New Delhi - new 'home' for post RTW
Oddometer: 1,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlurr View Post
Did you wash the bike for the photo?
haha, yeah, can't remember why she looks so clean. Well, thinking back, I had been on tarmac all the way from Europe down Egypt and still more tarmac until Ethiopia. I think the recent images are after muddy Africa, so she's still Euro-Clean here but I didn't even wash her in Europe. hmm...
__________________
J A Y on a 98 Suzuki DR650SE (sanDRina)

Trip Website: JamminGlobal.com
Current Ride Report: Global South | Past Trips: CDR '09, Alaska '08, Mexico '07 | YouTube Videos
Jammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:39 PM   #1886
hendikaf
Studly Adventurer
 
hendikaf's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Fort Lauderdale Florida
Oddometer: 501
Hi ,
good to see you are still on the road , waiting to see your book and more videos of your trip. I am leaving next year for the African part of my RTW and been in the US I was curious to see how did you managed for the carnet de passage , its only good for a year and then you need to get another one , I plan to stay more than a year in Africa so you see the problem . then will come to Asia....
Thanks and keep up
__________________
Hendi Kaf

www.HendiKaf.com
hendikaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 04:54 AM   #1887
Jammin OP
Living on a DR
 
Jammin's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: New Delhi - new 'home' for post RTW
Oddometer: 1,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendikaf View Post
Hi ,
good to see you are still on the road , waiting to see your book and more videos of your trip. I am leaving next year for the African part of my RTW and been in the US I was curious to see how did you managed for the carnet de passage , its only good for a year and then you need to get another one , I plan to stay more than a year in Africa so you see the problem . then will come to Asia....
Thanks and keep up
Hi Hendi, thanks, slowly working on the book and more videos.

For Carnet, you can get another one issued (for another year) while you are still traveling. No problems with that; they will ship it out to you. You just have to make sure the first carnet gets stamped out and the new carnet gets stamped in. This could be tricky in a strict country like South Africa but very easy in Kenya. Also in Nairobi, there is the Jungle Junction overland campsite and they help with this kind of 'paperwork'

Even if you can't get the first carnet stamped out, you can leave the country with your new carnet and just make sure to get the exit stamp on the new one. In the end, as long as you can prove the bike has left that country, it's not so critical to get all the exit stamps.

Cheers and enjoy Africa!
__________________
J A Y on a 98 Suzuki DR650SE (sanDRina)

Trip Website: JamminGlobal.com
Current Ride Report: Global South | Past Trips: CDR '09, Alaska '08, Mexico '07 | YouTube Videos
Jammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:34 PM   #1888
Quasenada
n00b
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Tangará da Serra-MT
Oddometer: 6
ooowwww it's ending

finally catch up with you! i think that the first time i entered this thread was more than a year ago, from times to times i come back and read some more, little by little traveling with you, and what outstanding journey it has been!

thanks for sharing this with us, me too registered here in adv because of this thread. almost shed a tear seeing that pic of you with the 300 bikers following you, all these events and the recognition were well deserved

waiting for the rest of the RR (no need to rush!)

next month i will grab a t-shirt, the last i can do! here too i'm expecting your guide

thanks again and all the best for you!
Quasenada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:09 AM   #1889
hendikaf
Studly Adventurer
 
hendikaf's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Fort Lauderdale Florida
Oddometer: 501
Ride

Thanks for your reply , I will most likely take a carnet even so I read that guys did it without it , not much info about and seems like a lot of problems at the borders.
Keep up riding and thanks again
__________________
Hendi Kaf

www.HendiKaf.com
hendikaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 06:20 PM   #1890
Jammin OP
Living on a DR
 
Jammin's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: New Delhi - new 'home' for post RTW
Oddometer: 1,525
Snapshot: Life on the Road, Stone Stove in Namibia

Ahh, Life on the Road... the simple pleasures of cooking dinner on a stone stove fed by glowing charcoal.

This was back in January when I was camping for days on end on my month-long ride across Namibia. I got to Brandberg Mountain, sticking out of the Namib Desert, and setup camp for the night at its base. I gathered firewood that was knocked down by desert elephants and had a roaring fire going in the braai stand. As the coals formed they got pushed into my stone stove and I cooked up some miso rice with salami, peppers and onions. A tasty and filling meal that lead to happy sleep for another day on the road...

__________________
J A Y on a 98 Suzuki DR650SE (sanDRina)

Trip Website: JamminGlobal.com
Current Ride Report: Global South | Past Trips: CDR '09, Alaska '08, Mexico '07 | YouTube Videos
Jammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014