User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2013, 01:24 AM   #1
MplsMoto OP
Wheels

Oddometer: 127
Getting your own bike to SE Asia

Is it possible to ship/fly/ride your own bike (from US) into the SEA countries? And if so, what is the best way to do so.

I have a f800GS and would like to ride Malaysia, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam. China is a potential entry point for me, but I'm thinking Malaysia or Thailand.

I plan on spending 2 or 3 months.
MplsMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:36 AM   #2
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsMoto View Post
Is it possible to ship/fly/ride your own bike (from US) into the SEA countries? And if so, what is the best way to do so.

I have a f800GS and would like to ride Malaysia, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam. China is a potential entry point for me, but I'm thinking Malaysia or Thailand.

I plan on spending 2 or 3 months.
Id send by air to Bangkok or Kuala Lumpur. And by sea to Port Klang (near Kuala Lumpur). Thai seaports at least were corrupt, dunno what the exact situation is right now, though. Singapore is unnecessary hassle. China would probably be extremely complicated and costly.

For Thailand, you definitely wont need a carnet. But for Malaysia Im unable to answer, as officially it is a carnet country, even though for me they seemed very relaxed about the bike (but do note, that I was entering via a land border with Thailand if you send in by freight, then it could be different.)
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:34 AM   #3
MplsMoto OP
Wheels

Thanks,

After reading the forums here and on other sites it seems you're right on the money.

I'm currently getting prices for air freight to Bangkok - I'll add Kuala Lumpur to the list for estimates.

Any other advice? I figure at 2 months of rental in around $2K in rental fees - so it's worth trying to get my own bike over there.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:17 AM   #4
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsMoto View Post
I figure at 2 months of rental in around $2K in rental fees - so it's worth trying to get my own bike over there.
Remember you will most likely have to freight the bike back as well. I would not be so sure, that you can do this for 2000 USD both ways (actually sounds kinda cheap, MAYBE by seafreight, but then everything has to go real smooth; costs at the receiving end can be a bugger especially when going by sea).

Maybe buy something in Thai or Malaysia, and sell after youre finished your trip?
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:45 AM   #5
MplsMoto OP
Wheels

I was thinking of air freight on the way over, by sea on the way back. I'm currently working with an air freight company that one of my client's uses - he's a moto guy as well so I'm hoping I can get the "good guy discount" to keep things affordable.

Rental could be an option if I can get a new GS, but I'm actually tied to my bike somewhat as I'm working on a piece of hardware and software - and I can't rely on a rental having the OBD-2 connection I need.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:00 AM   #6
Guzzi Cambodia
n00b

Oddometer: 6
You can buy in Phnom Penh. Guy I know has a few imported Transalps for sale and an Africa Twin or two. Transalps about three thousand four hundred US. Africa Twin going for about four and a half US. He also has some Honda Dominators for a couple of grand.

To register in your name is relatively quick knowing how slow bureaucracy can be here and whilst you are supposed to have a document from local sangkat (police/local authority office) it is not impossible. Mate has just done it last week without. Plate is fixed that day if it's an imported bike. Plastic registration card for wallet takes 3-4 weeks. May be able to expedite for a fee. If you happy to scoot around Cambodia for a month then get reg card you can go over border into Laos and Thailand fairly easily.
Guzzi Cambodia is offline   Reply With Quote