Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2013, 06:58 PM   #16
corps_of_discovery OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19

Anyone taken 36 through N Kansas rather than 70?
corps_of_discovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:06 AM   #17
old2wheeler
Former nÔÔb

Oddometer: 720
Thumb Are we in Kansas, Toto?

Scott, thanks for the nice words... Wish we had been able to talk while you were here. Well, then that leaves it undone and a talk for some other time.

I have no knowledge of 36, and by now you are on the road. But, in my opinion Kansas is simply there and there is no way but to go. The key is to stay alert, as Lokey said. Kansas is a serious challenge to our ability to actually DO that. Miles of miles... Stop often and simply break the GOING part for even a few minutes. That may shift your mind to clarity and allow staying in that alert zone when you get back on. It really is a Tau thing; your life at this moment is moving in its own way. Beware of finding yourself trying to make something be; see the going as a river, you may find that you can float easier than you might think.

Ride safe...

Rod
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
old2wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:13 PM   #18
beck49
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by corps_of_discovery View Post
Anyone taken 36 through N Kansas rather than 70?
It's probably late, but I would describe eastern Colorado and western Kansas on 36 as an adventure of sorts. Desolate is another term. That doesn't mean I wouldn't ride it again, but you should have a full tank and plenty of water. The rest of 36 going East is certainly straight, but the undulations really give you a feel for the prairie. Watch out for deer. We were told they are thick and much larger than what we see in the East.
beck49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:45 AM   #19
Gamequeazy
Curbjumper

Oddometer: 657
Pleasure to have you stay with us, CoD! Hope those gloves help you out on the rest of your trip.

CoD took to riding that TallBike as if it had a blue and white roundel on it, hah. Couple of miles each way with aplomb! Only one wreck, and that was wheelie-related

Debating the perfect line

Old 09-16-2013, 05:06 PM   #20
corps_of_discovery OP
Adventurer

KS to MO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokey View Post
The main thing that will stop you is if you mechanical problems. Do your due diligence as far as making your bike ready, and after a couple of days on the road you'll be having too much fun to be worried.
Lokey was right about the mechanical problems. Looking back on it, I was a fool to think my prep days should be spent gathering crap that I wouldnt need for the trip. I should have spent time money on getting the bike ready. Im lucky that it did bot end up bad. I wasnt paying attention to all the details. I got to MO took 392 miles on 36 through KS. Got the Cameron MO set up camp. Started to relax and the tire was showing cords. Scrambled to find a shop my friends were helping on the phone. Nearest one that could do the tire change was in KC. I had to back track 50 miles southwest to get to the shop. The next morning he looked at and said you know your back brakes is shot right? Well I heard noise after CO but didnt pay too much attention to it. They got a street tire on it, felt stupid for not doing checks. Didnt touch the back brake for the rest of the trip. I am not ready for any more trips till I get the experience of taking care of all the issues myself. Next time ill have basic understanding and equipment.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:12 PM   #21
corps_of_discovery OP
Adventurer

Church of Reason

Finished Art and Zen of Motorcycle Maintenance. I obviously need to work on the maintenance part but that’s a different subject. I thought that I was familiar with most of the concepts in the book. Most of the ideas were not new or ground breaking. However, after reading more the author flipped a switch, and things escaladed quickly.
Started with Mu, and not answering yes or no. There isn’t a word for Mu in our language but its apparent everywhere. Esp in the 1010101 world. Does the computer or devise have electrical current in the circuit, the voltmeter will read itself…Mu. When the dude gets his rug pissed on and doesn’t know what to do. It should have been Mu because he lacked the context of the reality. Same, same for Syria and other recent conflicts. We really should be seeking truth in the context, most of the time you will find your not unable to. The only reason the dude goes to the mansion was because his friend talked him into it. Claiming they crossed a line…
Back to Zen, I think it really starts when Phaedrus went for his doctorate at Chicago. I had some of the same experiences with trying to understand the writings and professors. I always thought to myself it to be as simple as hiding truth through jargon and smoke n mirrors. This problem is more systemic and real than most prob acknowledge. The duality and church or reason ultimately gets torn apart. The fact that Phaedrus turns to ancient Greece for answers on the path of truth seeking was a whole new level for me. I guess I missed the whole argument in my own studies but it is serious stuff. By the end of the book the author destroys some arguments of Greece and describes how those ideas clearly have and are misleading ppl. Along with accurately describing the problems and struggles between good and truth. He doesn’t really offer a complete picture (nor does he reach his goal of big collective idea), probably from the fact that he concludes its evil. The ideas certainly transcends political dichotomy which is comforting, and just gives me more of strong belief in respecting individuality (and not shocking ppl you think are insane). It is one of the best books I have ever read. Didn’t expect the Chris dying or the fact Phaedrus was the one carrying them along the whole time. Makes sense after the fact I guess.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:24 PM   #22
corps_of_discovery OP
Adventurer

Gamequeazy

Best part of the whole trip was tent space in IL. 475 miles from MO including the trip back to KC for the tire. Glad to meet new friends. Never thought Urbana IL could be so awesome. Thanks again for everything, Gloves worked great for the gps screen and throttle lock. Alot more comfortable than the leather ones. After an awesome time out on the bikes, I left the next morning and did 763 miles back home. End of trip ill post more pics another time.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:57 AM   #23
mellephants
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 770
I was wondering what happened to you in the morning... glad you made it back ok. I know I wouldn't have wanted to ride 763 miles that day
mellephants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:03 AM   #24
Blader54
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,036
Very interesting ride report. Glad you made it back home, and hoping that you some more material to post up on the last leg of the journey. Dudeism and Pirsig....interesting bedfellows. I wonder what the Dude would think of the metaphysics of quality? The Dude abided. He stayed mellow in the face of the world's concerns. Except for the rug. We can recognize "quality" but can we define it? Is quality the result of caring?

Pirsig's metaphysics of quality never caught on the way he had hoped, I don't think. Seems to me that product lifetimes are now so short that "quality" hardly matters because a "new and better" replacement will be coming out before quality becomes a real issue. And maybe more importantly, humans display a remarkable ability to set what I'll call "functional quality" aside in favor of other considerations that satisfy a need. I also think that our societal norm of "quality" has degraded over the last few decades to the point that when we encounter quality of the more distant past we are confused and have a hard time comprehending it. See the recent stories about tests given to 8th graders 100 years ago compared to today.

Sorry for the diversion. It's a pretty good idea to take a minute each morning before you ride and check your bike over: tire pressure, tire condition, chain tension, brakes, lights, turn signals, oil level. You're hurling your body through space on this thing and a helmet and suit only offer so much protection.
Blader54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:05 AM   #25
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
I very much enjoyed this ride report. I appreciate you sharing with us.
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:24 PM   #26
AKMotorbiker
Searching for sanity

Oddometer: 241
Great report

Lots of personal insight. The pictures were great, better than mine. I have the same concerns about maintenance but, I figure if I worry I'll never get out there and learning on the go is an acceptable form of education. Although, it could be expensive. I just hope you enjoyed the trip and plan more.
Searching for Sanity: Newest Chapter- Sequoia National Park
AKMotorbiker is online now   Reply With Quote