Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2013, 12:43 PM   #751
Klutch
gringo goatrider

Oddometer: 231
What a great experience and RR. Hopefully you've caught the mexico and off-road bug! Can't wait for your next RR.
Houston is a great place to learn spanish and the sportbike community there offers a little for everyone, especially stunters and tards. Stunt Garbage is based there too. I rode my old R1200GS Adv there a few years ago and hooked up with some riders trying to break the records running the loop around the city. I think it's hwy 8 and/or the Sam Houston tollway. My GS was way too slow for the open stretches to even keep them in site.
Plus, you have the national forest for the XR. Trail Riders of Houston is a huge club that puts on state series races as well as plenty of national enduros. That XR is a little on the heavy side for serious racing in that part of the country but you can ride it to the tracks and OHV areas and have a blast. DBSA over at Zars Ranch is a great place to hone serious off-road skills. http://www.clubdbsa.org/newdbsa1/index.html
Bill Canion is out there all the time boon-dogging the trails. I think he'll be 73 this year and is still riding strong. Tell him sgtsandbagger sent ya. He'll hook you up with riders that you can learn a lot from. His son Brian is one of my best buds and practically grew up at Zars. I would suggest a boon-dogging day there with Kent Howerton. The fastest two times I've been on a dirtbike both involved Kent. Once was on back of his old 92 CR250 when my bike broke down. The next was when he towed me with his KTM from the river to the pits when I ran out of gas. (I ride over 40 expert or one of the A classes for reference unless it' s Enduro where I sandbag a little in the B classes.)
There's at least 12 MX tracks under 200 miles from Houston and tons of private tracks and trails. Enjoy South Tejas!!
Klutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 01:38 PM   #752
btao
RIP Lilolita

Oddometer: 1,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntheavy View Post
Well ladies and gentlemen, here's a little update on myself:

I had no idea what was in store for me after the trip. I had considered moving to NorCal, to work at the marina from the pictures. I considered going back to school. Mostly, I was leaning toward moving back to Maine.

The night that we arrived back in Houston, we went out for celebration with some good friends of mine. There was a car that I didn't recognize right off. It looked very European. Body lines similar (in my mind) to an Aston Martin. After some talk, it turned out it was a Model S. Austin has a fanatical knowledge of all things that Elon Musk is doing, so I thought Austin was surely going to hop in the frunk and never come out.

Long story short, I jokingly said that I wanted to work for them. Next thing I knew, I was going through the interview process!

A few weeks, and a very intensive interview process, I'm now working for Tesla! It's entirely different than the dealership atmosphere, and seems like this company is really taking care of it's people, and going places. It's been extremely busy, and 'reality' is back in full swing for me. Today is my first day off.

As Austin said many times on the trip "Be good to the Universe, and the Universe will be good to you". It's strange. I didn't place much value in this, for much of the trip. Then we end up back in Houston, and had I not drug my exhausted, lazy butt out for some drinks, things would not have fallen into place as they have.

So, for me it looks like Texas is going to be my home for a while longer!
Holy shit dude! Congrats!!! Now that's icing on the cake.

Sounds like you learned The Secret. (It's a movie worth watching)

Best of luck, and make sure you slap an ADV sticker on that space ship of theirs
Old 09-16-2013, 03:51 PM   #753
Trane Francks
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by btao View Post
Sounds like you learned The Secret. (It's a movie worth watching)
+1 - And watching more than once, just to keep the message clear over the years.
Trane Francks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:39 PM   #754
5 speed
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadinator View Post
Decided on my "out of the comfort zone" challenge. I will make a solo overnight camp on my first long distance road trip. Will leave late afternoon, ride four or five hours and camp. Pack up the next morning and ride the remaining five hours to my destination which is my sisters wedding in Shelburne Falls, Mass.

Might not seem like a big deal to most, but it is the longest bike ride I have taken and I have never camped by myself. Excited for the challenge!!!
And lets not underestimate how solo camping can impact ones life (talking about being out of your comfort zone). Its one thing when you crawl in your tent in the woods but your boys are in the tent at the other end of the campsite. And, I am not talking about staying a campground. I have done this three times now, two were unusual experiences. Once truly in the middle of the woods and another on Brown Mountain in NC. It was a roadside campground on the way to the trail riding area at the top of mountain. The last house you pass is about 20 miles back. It was during the week and there was no one on the roadside campsites or on the mountain at all-based on my dusk spin on my KTM and miles and miles from another person. About 2:30am, something woke me up-one of those deals where you don't know what woke you, and you straining your brain to remember what was the sound? You fall back asleep but it happens again, and now your like-holy shit! . All I got is my pig sticker knife. Near as I can tell, it was a bobcat or larger circling my camp as it was very stealthy- not the typical night time creatures, coons, deer, bears, etc. Oh, and when I look out my tent window, I see the Brown Mtn lights- clear sky with stars but flashes of light like lightening but down closer to the earth and no noise. http://brownmountainlights.com FREAKY

Pretty much did it for me: I slept the rest of the night in my Jeep!

Your RR is great work and am jealous; would love to just get the heck out of dodge even if its just a crap destination; after all its the journey, no?
5 speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:32 PM   #755
Roadinator
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Maybe you car help build their electric motorcycle! (let the rumors begin...)

Congrats.
Roadinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:31 PM   #756
TheBlurr
Banned

Oddometer: 5,588
Coincidentally Elon Musk Spoke at the Montana Economic Summit today.

Good luck in his Tesla Division
TheBlurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:02 PM   #757
bdogone1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Wow! What a story! What a read! Thanks for your narrative. Get those stock options to save for a rainy day!
bdogone1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:02 PM   #758
5 speed
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 871
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVMindset View Post
+ 2..... 57 now and wonder where the HELL has all of the time gone ? A word of advice to any of you inmates out there, if you can swing something like this now, DO IT ! Don't wait for another chance...it may never come !!!

Just came across this RR yesterday and have only got to post #106 and can't wait to see how the trip has gone ! I have often thought about doing this same exact thing, but have never pulled the trigger and now some health issues will probably keep me from doing it...

Take care and ride safe wherever you're at by now !
I've gotta get caught up !
X3 Yep I was 25 just the other day too Young, Dumb and full of xxm, as they say!! But, while I am 52 in age, it surely doesnt feel like it (except when I get up in the morning or when I have to run any distance ) My wife says I am just a big boy, still playing with toys, trying not to take life too serious and want to play all the time. So the problem is?

anywho, it does become more difficult to do an epic trip, if not for the fact that you will hear all kinds of grief, especially should you get hurt. I would say wad up the bike, but that would be her dream and great leverage why you shouldn't do trip likes this ( you think your 25!!) and why money on bikes is money wasted (where is my $10K dining room suite you promised me?)

Boys do it now, every day your shorter of breath and one day closer to -
5 speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:14 PM   #759
btao
RIP Lilolita

Oddometer: 1,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 speed View Post
X3 Yep I was 25 just the other day too Young, Dumb and full of xxm, as they say!! But, while I am 52 in age, it surely doesnt feel like it (except when I get up in the morning or when I have to run any distance ) My wife says I am just a big boy, still playing with toys, trying not to take life too serious and want to play all the time. So the problem is?

anywho, it does become more difficult to do an epic trip, if not for the fact that you will hear all kinds of grief, especially should you get hurt. I would say wad up the bike, but that would be her dream and great leverage why you shouldn't do trip likes this ( you think your 25!!) and why money on bikes is money wasted (where is my $10K dining room suite you promised me?)

Boys do it now, every day your shorter of breath and one day closer to -
If you don't do it now, you may never do it... Carpe diem.
Old 09-27-2013, 02:57 PM   #760
slowpoke69
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 497
Thanks for the ride!!

Quote:
Well ladies and gentlemen, here's a little update on myself:

I had no idea what was in store for me after the trip. I had considered moving to NorCal, to work at the marina from the pictures. I considered going back to school. Mostly, I was leaning toward moving back to Maine.

The night that we arrived back in Houston, we went out for celebration with some good friends of mine. There was a car that I didn't recognize right off. It looked very European. Body lines similar (in my mind) to an Aston Martin. After some talk, it turned out it was a Model S. Austin has a fanatical knowledge of all things that Elon Musk is doing, so I thought Austin was surely going to hop in the frunk and never come out.

Long story short, I jokingly said that I wanted to work for them. Next thing I knew, I was going through the interview process!

A few weeks, and a very intensive interview process, I'm now working for Tesla! It's entirely different than the dealership atmosphere, and seems like this company is really taking care of it's people, and going places. It's been extremely busy, and 'reality' is back in full swing for me. Today is my first day off.

As Austin said many times on the trip "Be good to the Universe, and the Universe will be good to you". It's strange. I didn't place much value in this, for much of the trip. Then we end up back in Houston, and had I not drug my exhausted, lazy butt out for some drinks, things would not have fallen into place as they have.

Congrats on the sweet giig too!

I enjoyed the hell out of reading this RR, sad to see it end, I hope you enjoy your next phase of your life. Stay safe.
slowpoke69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:42 PM   #761
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,205
Quote:

Congrats on the new gig. And now you can go ride in Mexico anytime you want.

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:34 PM   #762
speedmonkey7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
How's the new job treating you?

Cheers, Speedmonkey7

Tiny keyboards, autocorrect, and ADHD...

"Ride with caution . And be thankful cagers are slightly more predictable than marsupials."
-XRman (fellow inmate)
speedmonkey7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:44 PM   #763
Need For Speed
Ridin' fool(ishly)

Oddometer: 115
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmonkey7 View Post
How's the new job treating you?
I hear a lot of good things about Tesla...

This is my first post in this thread, which is one of the best ride reports that I have read on this site Nice work!
'13 ZX14R - fulfiller of adrenaline needs
It's the journey, NOT the destination
Need For Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:23 PM   #764
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need For Speed View Post
is one of the best ride reports that I have read on this site Nice work!
I agree. stunt has got a great writing style and it is thoroughly enjoyable to read the posts. The pics are great, but the writing is top notch. Hope to see more RR's from him in the future.

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:56 AM   #765
JcbKarl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
Thanks For a Great Story

I really appreciate the effort you guys went to posting this report while on the road. Reading this report got me so psyched for my Colorado trip this summer. I was reading your posts about California Pass the night before I headed out and was reliving those videos in my head the whole way across Kansas. I hit the San Juan's three days after you guys were there and the timing was great with the snow and all.

I guess I'll have to follow Tesla now and in 10 years, when you are a VP and doing a public unveil of the Tesla 650 kwh XRR Stuntheavy TAT Special Edition motorcycle, I will cheer for you.

Karl
JcbKarl is offline   Reply With Quote