User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2013, 05:56 AM   #1
rd400racer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Rz350

I guess this is my unofficial intro to this forum. I've had an RT and RS 1100 recently and just traded my 94 RS1100 in on a Miata. Yeah, possibly a bonehead move but I really want an 1150GS and with a selection of bikes available to me I thought it was only fair to get something for the family to have fun with (Miata). So I'm stuck with a Duc Monster and my trusty RZ350 racebike.

This pic was taken at Little Tally back in February. This was the WERA V5 race....had a 14 year old hot on my tail but I held him off for 3rd place. Good kid; I'll probably be watching him on TV in a few years!

rd400racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:32 PM   #2
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd400racer View Post
I guess this is my unofficial intro to this forum. I've had an RT and RS 1100 recently and just traded my 94 RS1100 in on a Miata. Yeah, possibly a bonehead move but I really want an 1150GS and with a selection of bikes available to me I thought it was only fair to get something for the family to have fun with (Miata). So I'm stuck with a Duc Monster and my trusty RZ350 racebike.

This pic was taken at Little Tally back in February. This was the WERA V5 race....had a 14 year old hot on my tail but I held him off for 3rd place. Good kid; I'll probably be watching him on TV in a few years!

Welcome! I've had wood for an RZ for quite a while... any sage advice that's RZ specific? (I'm a mechanic, tons of two stroke experience) What to check for? What to avoid?
Old 05-29-2013, 08:41 PM   #3
dpforth
no inline fours

Oddometer: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by concours View Post
Welcome! I've had wood for an RZ for quite a while... any sage advice that's RZ specific? (I'm a mechanic, tons of two stroke experience) What to check for? What to avoid?
Make sure you can hear the powervalves cycle when you turn on the ignition. Saves having to shop for a YPVS controller.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:07 AM   #4
rd400racer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
I've raced RD400's and RZ350's for years. There are still plenty of parts available and about 4 decent Forums to go to for advice. As far as picking up an RZ...unfortunetly it looks like the boat sailed on cheap RZ's about 10 years ago. I saw an RZ500 for sale the other day with 35K miles and been sitting for 10 years and the auction is up to $5500. Just stupid money considering the work needed to get it road worthy again.

The best deals are found if you know a local person that has one and doesn't really feel like messing with it. I know a guy that picked one up last month for $500 but it was in 300 pieces. The plus is that they are easy to work on and like I said, parts are easy to get.

My race bike is currently in 300 pieces.....I'm putting a 2004 R6 front end on it and an FZ600 swingarm (a common swap) so I can mount modern rubber. Then it's time for engine work! Looking at a 421cc kit.

If you look hard there are still a few deals to be had on RD350's and 400's. Or go the smaller route to start.....plenty of 125's, 200's and 250's out there. I actually have 3 RD125's, also in 100's of pieces.

I guess I didn't really answer your question. The main thing I look for is condition of the cylinder and play of the connecting rods. It is so easy to remove the head and do a visual inspection. If the seller refuses, that is a red flag. Everything else about them is so simple that I don't worry. A monkey with a wrench can fix them. Now tuning them properly....that is a black art!

It's an addiction......you can't have just one 2 stroke!

My RD400....took it down to the frame and rebuilt from scratch..

And I like a 4 stroke every now and then too! My FZR400 that I recently got rid of...

rd400racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:46 PM   #5
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 8,018
This might be the motivation to get mine running. It's been a long long time since I worked on a two stroke - perhaps as long ago as the mid 70s fixing the middle cylinder on my Kawasaki 500 triple.

Sure is a pretty FZR!
Old 09-17-2013, 02:24 PM   #6
concours
WFO for 41 years

I'm in...
Old 09-17-2013, 03:18 PM   #7
anotherguy
Banned

Oddometer: 6,212
an old photo........

Don't have any recent photos. It's wearing a set of R1 Monbloc calipers now. I haven't ridden it in 4 years now. Took that long to rebuild the engine/trans while broke.
anotherguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 03:25 PM   #8
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,817
I just picked up 2 piles of parts that comprise a decent portion of a 1971 Mach III and a 1972 Mach III. If I had tons of money I would try to put one together but they are really far gone.

Obnoxiously fun bikes to ride back in the day,Also the Most ill handling bike that Ive ridden to date.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:43 PM   #9
caponerd
Kickstart Enthusiast

Oddometer: 1,980
I've got an RD400 out in the garage that was abandoned on an empty lot near my house.
Sat there for several weeks, so I asked around and nobody knew who owned it. The plate was missing, so I recorded the VIN # and called the local police, who told me it wasn't listed as stolen. I took it home.
The bike had been parked in an alley behind a rental house a few blocks away from where it was abondoned for 3 or 4 years. I think the owner of the bike moved out nd left it, so the rental owner just moved it to the empty lot to get rid of it.
The motor is free, and feels like it has compression.
Someday I might get it running and turn it into a cheap track bike.
caponerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:55 PM   #10
JonW
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Nothing at all wrong with RD/RZs, I love em and have a few... Check out the link in my signoff for the full info, but grab a coffee or beer before you do, it may take some time if you read it all LOL!

Thanks to all who have supported the Omega PloProf book at DeskDivers.com - it's very much appreciated
JonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:24 AM   #11
concours
WFO for 41 years

As I found it... dusty, left in a corner of the basement for 20 years

Rearsets will be off and for sale soon...

Old 10-23-2013, 05:38 PM   #12
Edmond Dantès
The Kanto Pain

Oddometer: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonW View Post
Nothing at all wrong with RD/RZs, I love em and have a few... Check out the link in my signoff for the full info, but grab a coffee or beer before you do, it may take some time if you read it all LOL!
Fantastic website. Do you have any video footage of the MB-5 and MT-5 running?
Edmond Dantès is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:28 PM   #13
concours
WFO for 41 years

She's inching along, clip-ons, rearsets, steering stabilizer and fork brace all removed (DPO had a track day) and tubular handlebars re-installed, etc. Brakes are all dismantled, new rubbers on hand. Cyls are back from Millennium Technologies...
Old 12-06-2013, 08:12 PM   #14
DocRogers
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Had one of those when I was in college, a looong time ago. Wicked fun bike and surprisingly comfortable. It's now on my "never should have sold it" list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-10-2013, 03:59 AM   #15
concours
WFO for 41 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocRogers View Post
Had one of those when I was in college, a looong time ago. Wicked fun bike and surprisingly comfortable. It's now on my "never should have sold it" list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The "surprisingly comfortable" thing... how tall are ya? inseam? shirt sleeve? Just curious, I haven't ridden this thing, or even sat on it. HOPING it is agreeable for a few hours anyway