User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2013, 04:58 PM   #391
snowjob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 572
Awesome!

After seeing you guys last weekend and hearing about the RR I decided to look it up....fantastic! I had it all wrong as it seems Bens KTM was loads more trouble than Boomers. It saddens me a bit as it will be at least a few years until I embark on another adventure trip. Though I will find plenty of good riding on the new Freeride, but I am expecting short distances only. My father-in-law still lives in CO, perhaps when we move back stateside I can try these trails on a nice lightweight fuelie bike . BTW, it was great to see everyone. Glad you had a chance for another great trip this year.
snowjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:10 PM   #392
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 17,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverspurs View Post
One of the better short trip RR's I've seen on ADV... great job and your a talented Photographer...

Being a Super Ten owner, I'd appreciate your insights on taking the S 10 on these type of roads... and whether you'd take it again if given the choice.

I Just finished the Magruder Corridor in Idaho on my S 10 and it did great, but some of the roads in this report look pretty knarly...

thanks for the RR and your opinion on the Super Ten for this type of riding

Thanks! I had no problem with the Tenere on this stuff other than having to be picky to try to avoid hitting the bash plate which is almost impossible to do. I think I would go up Hayden again but skip the west side and go back down the east. Although now that I know what to expect it might be better.

Tomichi and Hancock have rocks. Doable, but again you have to be careful about bashing the bike.

The rest of it was no problem at all. Fun riding on a big bike - very fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYG RYDR View Post
Cannonshot,

Thank you very much for sharing your adventure!

I love your story, the history and the photos!

And most kind of you to share your tracks!

Regards,
Thanks! Hope you find the tracks helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpincher View Post
Cannonshot

Thanks for the ride report and especially the tracks. So far I've followed you in Big Bend, as well as the CDR. You've always taken me "into and out of" the back country most expeditiously. I ride the S10 solo on these trips and can appreciate the hard work and luck it takes to navigate some of these surfaces.

Thanks for sharing your digital route-finding talents. Look over your shoulder far enough and you might see me back there, cussing and laughing, but not bored in the least....
Thanks! I hope you get to enjoy some of this stuff on your Tenere. I sure had a good time with mine.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:12 PM   #393
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by 247ride View Post
Thanks for the inspiring ride report and sharing the tracks! Going to Ouray next week and I'll be using some of the tracks.
Thanks! Hope the tracks prove useful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
I finally caught up. I was in Scottsdale buying a my western adventure touring basecamp.

Nice report and beautiful pictures. Hopefully I can try some of your route next summer. I stayed in the Como Depot when doing the CDR. $89 for the master suite (for two of us). It included a mondo breakfast. They had a good bar and diner menu. The owners were a couple from Berkeley and London I think. The bicyclists use it as an important way station on their divide route.
Sounds like a nice place to check out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by O Team View Post
Thanks for the great RR. I was a bit worried about KTMs reliability after seeing Ben's bike troubles, until I read that the 990R made the trip without troubles. That makes me feel better since I just bought that bike.
You convinced me to buy a bashplate. You guys rode those big bikes through some nasty sh*t.
Cheers
Yes, bash plate for sure!!!! And a heavy duty one too.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:14 PM   #394
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal Instinct View Post
I rode Hayden pass last August, east to west, like you guys on my KLR solo. Amazing how much different the west side is, and how fast your summit euphoria can fade. Rhut Rho! By the time you realize what you've gotten into, there's no turning back. I fell once, softly, then had to turn the ignition off and use the front brake and the clutch so I could (try) to keep my feet on the rocks. Never realized I could produce so much sweat in such a short time!

FYI -- Hayden Creek Campground is near the east origin of the road, has no water nor fees, and is lightly used.
Thanks for the tip on the campground. Should be helpful to some. I know the feeling about being in too deep before you realize it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake716 View Post
Awesome ride report!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by houndawgg View Post
Thanks two million for the file
Thanks, hope it helps you out.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:16 PM   #395
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasMich View Post
What a great ride report. It seemed like you guys were riding forever. Thanks for taking us along. Looks like an absolute blast of a place to ride. Makes our Michigan riding look like we are riding on a flat pancake.

Loved the great pictures and history lessons. So neat to learn about the towns and surrounding areas.

Glad to see the "old" Cannontrekers out there. Terry, I can't believe that you still go with that bunch after being embarassed in so many eating establishments over the years. Ben, graduated from a KLR to a KTM to a Briggs. Ready to make a good deal on that sputtering beast? VetMXer, always the quiet leader of the pack.

Thanks again Cannon and the boys for a great ride.
Greg, next time we take small bikes. You won't want to miss that Trek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boydracing View Post
Thanks for sharing! I always enjoy reading your reports. Two of my favorite things, riding and history. I'd love to take this trip. How many days did it take you to complete. Thanks again for sharing your tracks so others can enjoy as well!
Thanks! I think we spent about 7 days on the track in Colorado. I'm glad you enjoyed the mix of history and riding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowjob View Post
After seeing you guys last weekend and hearing about the RR I decided to look it up....fantastic! I had it all wrong as it seems Bens KTM was loads more trouble than Boomers. It saddens me a bit as it will be at least a few years until I embark on another adventure trip. Though I will find plenty of good riding on the new Freeride, but I am expecting short distances only. My father-in-law still lives in CO, perhaps when we move back stateside I can try these trails on a nice lightweight fuelie bike . BTW, it was great to see everyone. Glad you had a chance for another great trip this year.
Good seeing you the other day. Enjoy your stay overseas. Hope you get a chance to enjoy some of this stuff when you get back.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:30 PM   #396
Dusty
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,160
Thumb

Thanks for the RR and the share, added it to your other tracks...
Old 08-13-2013, 05:10 PM   #397
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
Thanks for the RR and the share, added it to your other tracks...
Thanks. Hope it the tracks prove helpful.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:16 PM   #398
Caymen8
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Colorado Ambassador!

Hey Cannon - thanks for a great ride report. You made the ride look so appealing that you could be an official ambassador for the state of Colorado! I've lived here my whole life and have ridden many of the roads you were on, but never on anything bigger than a KLR650. I ride solo mostly, and wouldn't even consider doing Hayden by myself!

'09 KLR 650
'08 Road Glide
Caymen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:44 PM   #399
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caymen8 View Post
Hey Cannon - thanks for a great ride report. You made the ride look so appealing that you could be an official ambassador for the state of Colorado! I've lived here my whole life and have ridden many of the roads you were on, but never on anything bigger than a KLR650. I ride solo mostly, and wouldn't even consider doing Hayden by myself!
Thanks and I'm glad you enjoyed the report! I try to write things that encourage others to get out and enjoy some of these things themselves. I hope more people get to give some of this a look for themselves if they haven't already.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:13 PM   #400
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,124
Indeed you are painting a great picture of what to expect for each pass/route for someone planning a Colo. tour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot View Post
Thanks! The scenery is always great. As usual, I also wanted to give people a pretty good idea of what some of the paths were like so they can use that information in planning their trip. Hopefully the pix we got give a good picture - except steepness never shows too well.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:01 AM   #401
Big Daddy D
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
Great report! I just finished it and loved it! Great pictures and I like the additional info too.
Big Daddy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:38 PM   #402
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy D View Post
Great report! I just finished it and loved it! Great pictures and I like the additional info too.
Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:29 PM   #403
thundercat
Meow

Oddometer: 19
NC700x

Overall whats your opinion on the nc for the off road portions of your trip? I'm considering getting a dual sport and I'm considering an NC with lots of money left over for off road addons or a tenere/tiger800xc w/ only a few.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Zed View Post
I ended up with a small dent in my front rim.
The tire isn't leaking and no noticeable wobbles going down the road.
thundercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:29 PM   #404
NortwestRider
TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer: 3,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by thundercat View Post
Overall whats your opinion on the nc for the off road portions of your trip? I'm considering getting a dual sport and I'm considering an NC with lots of money left over for off road addons or a tenere/tiger800xc w/ only a few.
Offroad I get 72-75 mpg's with my NCX.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Facebook..PNW Adventure Riders..Facebook
MY BUILD http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=938440
NortwestRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:40 AM   #405
Just Paul
Pro Cat Herder

Oddometer: 2,089
Thanks so much for sharing your trip and gps tracks ! Great job

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
Just Paul is offline   Reply With Quote