Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2013, 07:15 AM   #121
XC Rider
Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer: 2,893
I with Garret; I'm betting some lucky Senegalese is rip roaring around on a Katoom; a much better deal than what Blooch got the other week!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloochdog View Post

All kidding aside, hope the bike gets set free soon; I thinking we're all just about as anxious as you!
SpotWalla: WHERE IS XC RIDER!?
XC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:45 AM   #122
Todd34 OP
Toubab

Oddometer: 907
Well, the bike arrived and I finally got it together

Oh, you thought I meant this bike

Nope, that one's still sitting in customs purgatory. They say it may be released tomorrow, or Friday, or maybe next Monday.........................

So for now, the only thing I'm riding is the cruiser.

Todd34 screwed with this post 09-25-2013 at 06:07 AM
Todd34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:12 AM   #123
Todd34 OP
Toubab

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrxinpa View Post
Great info. Really enjoying following your cultural indoctrination. I lived over in Cairo, Egypt for a while and had many similar experiences

Took me a few days to get used to morning prayer being belted thru a PA System. Everyone in Egypt uses those on demand water heaters so getting used to their propane sales tactics, Took some time. A man & his donkey pulling a wagon filled with LP tanks beating on an empty tank in rappid succession with a hammer, Sat me straight up in bed at 6am
Just went back through the thread and realized I missed a few of you. Same thing here with the morning prayer. We have a mosque literally next door and they really cranked up the volume during Ramadan. I haven't seen the mobile LP guys yet but the trash guys go down the street honking at every house.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:16 AM   #124
Todd34 OP
Toubab

Quote:
Originally Posted by goosecreek View Post
The best beer always comes from home, and I am with gastone much longer until we get to see pictures of the bike in the desert ?
I think the latest batch is about ready to go in the keg. I haven't heard of anyone here making one as good as your chocolate milk stout yet though.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:18 AM   #125
Todd34 OP
Toubab

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastone View Post
Ferris Bueller anyone?
Yup, every time I hear a thumper go by I look and think "That better not be a freaking 690!"

Todd34 screwed with this post 09-25-2013 at 08:01 AM
Old 09-25-2013, 07:38 AM   #126
goosecreek
a desk prop

Oddometer: 2,340
Man you are killing me
goosecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 03:08 AM   #127
Todd34 OP
Toubab

Yeah Steve, just wanted to see if anyone was still paying attention. The shipping gal got my hopes up for a Friday release but no joy. I keep getting the "just one more signature" line. I'll keep asking her everyday and maybe at some point she'll get tired of me and pull some strings.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:05 PM   #128
Todd34 OP
Toubab

Look at what I found! It's crate #6.

It was a tight fit getting it out

And this was inside!!!!

It fired right up and the only real issue was the tank stickers bubbling.

This sticker didn't make it

Old 10-02-2013, 03:07 PM   #129
WayneJ
LFC/CCCCC

Oddometer: 5,515
20% Smug Mug Credit
WayneJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 03:22 PM   #130
gastone
R.I.P. sweet Angus

Oddometer: 2,141
Hell yeah Todd.
VAC
You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty...
gastone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 03:23 PM   #131
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Oddometer: 4,565
Outf$@kingstanding!!

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 03:26 PM   #132
Todd34 OP
Toubab

So, you've all read reports where folks have issues at border crossings. Apparently importing a vehicle through the port is quite similar. Of the three customs guys that normally stamp the paperwork for incoming vehicles, I got the one that wanted to prove how much of a pain in the ass he could be. The copy of the title that is normally good enough for the other two guys wasn't good enough and he wanted to see the original. Who knows if he's the guy that's been holding up the release but it certainly wouldn't surprise me.

So we left the shipping company and headed for the first office. I filled the bike up just around the corner and off we went. The bike hadn't been out of the crate for more than a half hour, I was at a light waiting to turn, and a fucking idiot bumped me and put me down!

Yup, I'd been riding in Senegal for a total of 15 minutes and I went down. Oh, did I forget to mention that the only thing missing when the bike showed up was the overflow tube for the rear tank? So I'm in the middle of the street in Dakar, right beside an asshat cager that won't move his fucking car while I try to pick up my bike and the recently filled tank is spewing fuel on me! Anyone got a match?

I only got a scratch on the Wolfman rack. He's missing at least a blinker and I hope the fucker has a busted headlight as well. Sorry folks, no pics of that one.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:33 PM   #133
Todd34 OP
Toubab

So anyway, we make it to the first office and they want to keep the title and "forward it" to the customs guy who wants to inspect it and put the customs stamp right on my title. I was having none of that and our local motorpool guy (he really is the man and has helped me A LOT with this whole ordeal) explained to them that having a Senegal Customs stamp on my title isn't going to be a good thing when I go back to the states in two years. So they make a call, my guy explains some more, they make a copy, they do some paperwork, I wait, I wait some more, and then they send us to another office.

Progress! Slow, but progress none-the-less.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:49 PM   #134
XC Rider
Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer: 2,893
Congrats Todd! Both on getting the bike, and getting the accident abroad thing out of the way early! In all seriousness though, glad you're ok and the bike as well.

Now the real question is how much play time do you have worked into your schedule to go out exploring? Found any other riders to go riding with?
SpotWalla: WHERE IS XC RIDER!?
XC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 03:50 PM   #135
Todd34 OP
Toubab

We get to the next office and it's everything you would expect a customs office in Africa to be:
Typical government building about 30 years past it's prime? Check
Lots of people hanging around for hours on end? Check
No A/C (in the hallway that is, the customs office has A/C but you won't get in there for a while)? Check
One toubab sweating like a whore in church? Check (Here ya go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toubab )

So we get in, we see the customs guy, and my guy goes through the whole, "You can't put a customs stamp on the original title" thing again. He says he needs the original, we show him the original. He says he has to stamp the original, my guy says he can't stamp the original but he's welcome to stamp the copy of the original that's sitting right beside it. He says he has to stamp the original, etc, etc, etc.

At least I'm not sweating like a whore in church anymore because the A/C works in this office and it's nice!

They go back and forth for about a half hour and he finally agrees to do his stamp on the copy. So off we go! Temporary admission into Senegal. Eventually, I'll get a plate and will have to get the bike "inspected". But hey, I'm good to go for now!!!!!!