Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2013, 10:26 AM   #1
*kartman* OP
GO Bacon GO !

Oddometer: 392
Wicked 6 Days Austria / Italy with KTM 660 Rallye + 990 Adventure

After the tour is about 4 weeks ago now , I want to give a little insight here
On 11 August me and a mate headed to austria / italy to drive some serpentines and nice gravel roads

We spread the first (relatively boring) 800km to Zell am See over 2 days.
Right on the morning of day two, my garmin 278 gave up and from there on we had to navigate by map

Of course we found Mattighofen anyway And in the evening, as planned, the tents were pitched in Zell am See .
Mandatory if you are in Austria : The Grossglockner High Alpine Road. Unfortunately, over 1400 meters it was completely obscured,
so that we didn´t were on top of the Edelweißspitze (I think it´s the highest drivable point in austria). Sometimes the visibility range was under 20m

On the Glockner there also started some problems with my KTM. First I thought it could be a carb issue due to the mountain air, but it went on later in the lowland: constant stuttering and dying in idle, starting weakness etc
In the end it seems to be a problem with the timing chain . I will soon replace it with a new one...
It's annoying when the engine dies just exactly in the wrong moment and doesn´t start again

On the Italian border ( Plöckenpass ) in Kötschach -Mauthen we checked in at a small hotel for 2 days. We could safely let our heavy luggage there and went on for driving gravel roads in italian friuli
The same evening we went straight across the border to ride the Zouf plan.

So far I´ve never seen so many tight bends and curves near those steep slopes, but you get used to it pretty fast ^^
Further up the asphalt gave way to rough gravel and we went on until we reached the satellite station on top It´s not the typical tourist area

Of course it has just started raining on the way back and didn´t stop until the next afternoon. At least we did not have to sleep in the tent and luckily it was the only rainy day on our tour.
Due to the rain we started late on the next day and had to cancel some nice roads we planned to ride
At least we drove the Panoramica delle Vette and Monte Zoncolan this afternoon - and it was worth it !
You have to see the panoramica - it´s a well-paved road up to almost 2000 meters and then you go on on narrow gravel roads
on the summit ridge - brilliant views I just let the pictures speak !

Who discovered the bikes ? It´s hard to do mountain climbing in full motorbike gear

For sure the Monte Zoncolan now couldn´t impress us that much any more ^^ But the three long narrow tunnels on top are also very interesting!
So we went back to the hotel and prepared everything for the next day, had a nice dinner and went off to bed.

The planned route to Knittelfeld, where we wanted to visit the KTM Days on Friday, led us through the Nockalmstraße.

Unfortunately I only have the photo of the toll station, since my mate rushed over the street like if it was a racetrack With my stuttering engine I also didn´t want to risk a stop, so I also went on. It was hard enough to get it started at the toll station after it died again
We arrived quite early in Knittelfeld and wondered what to do now. We decided to skip the KTM Days and headed forward to Eisenerz.

In the evening at the campsite on the Salza we made a decision: We´re going home the whole way back home on the next day, which meant more than 600km country roads through austria, czech republic and germany.

Of course the trip was awesome, even if we had not the time to drive every road we planned.
The list of passes was very long and of course it takes a lot more time driving on gravel roads and taking photos than just speeding on a country road.

The next time we´ll take the car and a trailer to get us and the bikes there, because you can just make the approach in one day and directly start into riding just the really nice roads. Also the luggage will not be a big issue any more.

If you´re interessted in more photos of the trip, just click HERE
*kartman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:59 AM   #2
lvscrvs
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 625
Gorgeous photos and scenery..... thanks...

Tiger 955i / Yamaha WR250R < Tiger 955i / DRZ400S / R1150GS < FJR1300 < DL1000 < BMW R1100RS < Ducati ST4 < DL650 zzzzz 30+ years zzzzz 125 Honda Elsinore < Suzuki TM250 < Yamaha 90 Enduro < Taco
lvscrvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 04:40 AM   #3
overlandr
Dystopist

Oddometer: 5,856
Great photos of an interesting trip. WHAT was the consensus on the best bike for these tracks - 660 surely! Great looker as well, do you travel mostly with the tanks topped up or are you tempted to run lightweight?

overlandr screwed with this post 09-18-2013 at 08:59 AM
overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:40 AM   #4
*kartman* OP
GO Bacon GO !

For covering long distances, I fill up all tanks and start to use the rear tanks first, then the front. When we were riding the gravel roads, the rear tanks were empty.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:34 AM   #5
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
Beautiful imagery. What a gorgeous part of our world. I love the pictures of the livestock as well. Thanks for sharing this with us. How I wish I'd been there riding with you
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:03 PM   #6
on2wheels52
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,307
Always looking for RR's with gravel roads in the Alps. The line I heard is that even the cow paths are surfaced in Germany and Austria.
Rode Plöckenpass but was lost at the time. Hardly the worst thing I've had to endure.
Jim
on2wheels52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:39 PM   #7
VDG
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,341
VDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:27 AM   #8
liferider
Never It's enough

Oddometer: 648
Great Pics!
The mighty 640A was exhausted? no problem, let her have some rest and go back there to ride every awesome gravel road you have marked. You can't give up living that close... (imagine it, i'm about 12.500kms from there )

Thanks for sharing.

liferider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:50 AM   #9
LouisPoland
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Beautifully. The track gpx please.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:40 AM   #10
*kartman* OP
GO Bacon GO !

640A ? 660 R Please ;) There´s no gpx due to my gps issue
Old 09-18-2013, 08:00 AM   #11
liferider
Never It's enough

Oddometer: 648
Ooops! excuse me, Kartman... 660 Rally, of course, different things.

It's my job that interferes with my normal ADVRider duty...
liferider is offline   Reply With Quote