Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2013, 03:36 PM   #91
kltk1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Ok folks, surprisingly I just heard from Kim at RDL. She asked that I post that they have decided they are NOT doing a group buy this year and that if they do it will be open to all and posted on their website and to keep an eye there to see if a sale is going to happen. Sorry folks. Have a safe riding season.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4
kltk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:38 PM   #92
kltk1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Meant to say keep an eye on their website.

Old 09-18-2013, 06:19 PM   #93
fammdw
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by kltk1 View Post
Meant to say keep an eye on their website.

Screw 'em.... Guess it's a Mayer seat then, eh' kltk1?!
fammdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:31 PM   #94
Red99ryder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Bummer

I Do thank you for all your efforts , sorry it didn't work out .
Red

Quote:
Ok folks, surprisingly I just heard from Kim at RDL. She asked that I post that they have decided they are NOT doing a group buy this year and that if they do it will be open to all and posted on their website and to keep an eye there to see if a sale is going to happen. Sorry folks. Have a safe riding season.

Red99ryder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:47 PM   #95
kltk1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Eh, let's wait and see what happens. I'm disappointed but have to consider how well their product works.

Old 09-18-2013, 06:51 PM   #96
Kreskin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Thanks for your efforts. Business must be good to kiss off 150 guys standing with cash waiting to buy during your slow season, especially when I'd venture a guess less than a third of that 150 will follow through without the group buy.
Kreskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:02 PM   #97
fammdw
Adventurer

Russell Day-Long Group Buy 2013-14

Quote:
Eh, let's wait and see what happens. I'm disappointed but have to consider how well their product works.

Well here it is for what it's worth... Last year about this same time Kim told me that they were not going to do a group buy and if they decided to do one they would advertise it on their website. I was crushed and went back to the Vulcan Bagger Forum to report the bad news. I was still incredulous to the fact that they would walk away from nearly 150 committed buyers.

I put it to a vote on the forum as to whether the group members wanted to stick it out and contact RDL again in November or just scrap the list. Everyone decided to keep the group together and call them in November. It's all still on that forum if anyone is interested in reading it. It nearly mimics the news today.

I didn't call or email them at all until the first week in November. Then I gave Kim the old "hey, remember me?" call. All of a sudden the love had returned and she told me to give her a few days and she would be back in touch. She called me less than a week later and gave me the rules for the group buy to announce on the forum.

Maybe we should follow suit here...

What says the group membership reference seeing this through? I guess you guys should decide and of course kltk1 will ultimately have the final say.

I still believe, as I did this time last year that they are trying to get every last full price order they can muster while the riding season is in full swing. The word out about this group buy is hurting their immediate sales right now.

fammdw screwed with this post 09-18-2013 at 07:07 PM
Old 09-18-2013, 07:06 PM   #98
kltk1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I'm not so sure their kissing off 150 sales. It's my opinion they didn't like the idea that 100+ people are waiting in the wings not spending money now at full price. Either that or there were complaints about having to have to be on a list to get the discount and decided they would advertise it themselves and open it up to everyone. Not that that's not the case now. We're just 150 people committed to the process. I fully expect they will have their group buy this year. It may went be a group buy add we're used to seeing it. They will have a sale on 125 seats at XX percent off. Once word gets out folks will gobble them up.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:20 PM   #99
fammdw
Adventurer

Quote:
I'm not so sure their kissing off 150 sales. It's my opinion they didn't like the idea that 100+ people are waiting in the wings not spending money now at full price. Either that or there were complaints about having to have to be on a list to get the discount and decided they would advertise it themselves and open it up to everyone. Not that that's not the case now. We're just 150 people committed to the process. I fully expect they will have their group buy this year. It may went be a group buy add we're used to seeing it. They will have a sale on 125 seats at XX percent off. Once word gets out folks will gobble them up.

I am in full agreement. They will not walk away from a $100,000 payday. Like I said last year when this blew up... If they do, I for one will shop elsewhere. I'm not paying $800 for a motorcycle seat, no matter how well it works. I meant it then and I mean it this time. They can blow us off if they want to. Bill Mayer only requires ten customers to honor a group buy.

Seeing this bullshit from RDL two years in a row though, truly chafes my ass.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:21 PM   #100
kltk1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I have no problem holding out till early November and reaching out to RDL then. I should have taken the time to read last year's group buy thread. I serve at the pleasure of the group. The list is there if we want to hold together a little while longer.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:21 PM   #101
fammdw
Adventurer

Russell Day-Long Group Buy 2013-14

And don't think for a second they (RDL) aren't monitoring this thread...
Old 09-19-2013, 01:09 AM   #102
Matt fe2o3
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by fammdw View Post
And don't think for a second they (RDL) aren't monitoring this thread...
I'm happy enough to wait and see. OP did a great job of getting interest, kudos, etc.

RDL has to meter their business too. Too many orders creates a crush and long lead time. When they cant see a backlog of a couple months then the idea becomes more interesting to them. February works fine for me.

Again, thanks OP, it seems like a thankless job, however I can tell you the effort is appreciated. I have a workshop full of items I would never have gotten (feck, some I may never use....) if it had not been for guys like you coordinating quality materials procurements.

Cheers - you get to SF Bay area I'll buy you pizza and beer.
Matt fe2o3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:07 AM   #103
bgross
n00b

Oddometer: 4
It's an interesting game that we're playing.

We riders recognize the quality of RDL's product and would love to sit on it. But it is expensive. So some of us only dream.

RDL, like any business, experiences "seasonal" peaks and troughs in it's sales, so sometimes it offers "special pricing" as a stimulus during the slow times.

As word has gotten out about seasonal "group buys", RDL's sales have probably evened out - but are they actually selling more saddles? Or are buyers who might otherwise have payed full price during "peak" season - or in the Fall - delaying until winter and paying less?

Only RDL knows for sure, but their Fall business does NOT need to suffer as we eager "thrifty" potential future buyers scare away REAL buyers NOW.

We act like we're helping them, but we might actually only be messing up their sales NOW.

It's no wonder that they want to be "in charge" of if/when/how they offer a "winter incentive". They are not "the bad guys", they are just trying to run a profitable business....
bgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:51 AM   #104
Matt fe2o3
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgross View Post
It's an interesting game that we're playing.
We riders recognize the quality of RDL's product and would love to sit on it. But it is expensive. So some of us only dream.
RDL, like any business, experiences "seasonal" peaks and troughs in it's sales, so sometimes it offers "special pricing" as a stimulus during the slow times.
As word has gotten out about seasonal "group buys", RDL's sales have probably evened out - but are they actually selling more saddles? Or are buyers who might otherwise have payed full price during "peak" season - or in the Fall - delaying until winter and paying less?
Only RDL knows for sure, but their Fall business does NOT need to suffer as we eager "thrifty" potential future buyers scare away REAL buyers NOW.
We act like we're helping them, but we might actually only be messing up their sales NOW.
It's no wonder that they want to be "in charge" of if/when/how they offer a "winter incentive". They are not "the bad guys", they are just trying to run a profitable business....

This is business, fair, plain and simple. Purchasing power is nothing new. Nobody is screwing with anyone.

RDL is no different than any other company and for sure if there in interest in 150+ seats right now, they see the money and value. What they probably don't have is the time.

I would recon at least one other seat maker is following this thread. It's 150 seats that once bought from somewhere else is lost opportunity.

Again its fair business to try to negotiate attractive pricing and terms.
Matt fe2o3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:12 PM   #105
Seacoast-Rob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
I'm sure they are also aware that the group buy discount is the ONLY way some people will buy one of their saddles. While I love mine, I don't think I would EVER pay the full price because it's so ridiculously expensive for a farkle that has to stay with the bike (well, unless your next bike is the same pan).

So shutting down a group buy may cause some of the people on that list to go and pay full price, but overall, my guess is it will eliminate much more revenue than it generates.
Seacoast-Rob is offline   Reply With Quote