User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2013, 10:40 AM   #1
men8ifr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
Writing a story as you go...

Any opinions on the best way to do this including pics and videos?

Ideally I'd like to put all the stuff pics, videos, text etc together in a document then be able up upload it all with the press of a button - I don't think this is possible?

The problem is each video or picture would have to be uploaded separately then re-link everything I guess.

The plan is to put together a write-up while I'm away (no internet) rather than try and write everything when I get back.

I'd like to post something on here but also would be nice if it could also be uploaded to a website at a later date, nothing professional just so I can go back to it in the future and look at it / show my friends.
men8ifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 01:16 PM   #2
simonpig
packin' heat

Oddometer: 996
There are several options but they involves three components:

Photo Host (SmugMug, Flickr, Picasa, etc are other ones)
Videos Host (YoutubeVimeo, Vivo, etc.)
Aggregator / Word Host (a Forum like Advrider, Blogger, etc)

You can also host video and photos via Wordpress under your own URL, but thats pretty involved.

Some people use blogger, or wordpress because if Advrider (gasp) goes down, so does all of their writing, so they'd like to own instead of rent, if that makes sense. There's other reasons too...

if you're just casually wanting to share your ride report, advrider already has an audience for you report, vs. having someone visit your site via google (unless that's what you want, or don't care).
Old 09-18-2013, 10:05 AM   #3
men8ifr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

OK looks like the video, pictures and text all have to be handled separately.

May try to have more of a look at blogger/wordpress.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:52 PM   #4
securety10
Stuck...

Oddometer: 126
I have to say, trying to keep up with my RR, I have respect for the guys that can keep up with them real time. It is a pain to have to deal with different hosts and insert links along with the text. I also shoot pictures in RAW which I have to batch convert to jpeg and re-size before I can do anything with them, then there also pictures taken with the phones...

I've also been taking a lot of video with the GoPro, but haven't even begun to try editing any of it. Even with the many days of down time we've had, I haven't kept up, many times I just don't want to deal with it (though I've been trying my best to get caught up the last few days while we've had down time).

Aside from backup, I'm not really sure a blog/wordpress would be much easier. No matter what you do, it is a time drain. Part of the reason I chose to host mine here was I expected there would be more of an audience, though I haven't gotten much of a response to mine, so that may be a moot point, or maybe my ride just isn't interesting enough...

In the end, I still think it is worth it as it makes a fairly simple way to keep track of your adventure.
securety10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:10 PM   #5
Ormond323176
n00b

Oddometer: 8
imgur.com is the absolute easiest image hosting site. Upload them to there, the copy and paste the links to wherever you are keeping the rest of your ride report, whether it is on here, blogger.com, or your own personal site. Youtube is pretty simple when it comes to uploading videos. Vimeo now has some weird upload restrictions if you don't become a member, when you can upload about anything you want to Youtube without hassle.
Ormond323176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:20 PM   #6
men8ifr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

serurety - I tend to find I think my 'adventures' are awesome and love re-living what i've done but few people actually 'get' it. Maybe because I don't write it in a good enough style or it's not extreme enough or something else. What I do enjoy though is looking back through old photos and videos and ride reports I've done to re-live the experience a bit even when I can't be there so I think that is enough reason to try and write it up.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:20 PM   #7
securety10
Stuck...

Oddometer: 126
Yeah, that is what I was getting at in the end of my post. Plus there are lurkers that do read them. The flip side is it would be much easier just to keep a journal along with all the pics/videos (and even insert them into a document as OP was getting at) than spending all the time uploading/linking etc to post a ride report here. You'd still have the "diary" of the trip, it'd just be a personal version, though also more secure. I'm still indecisive as to whether or not I will make another ride report for my next trip, it has been more of a time sink than I imagined...
securety10 is offline   Reply With Quote