Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2013, 07:36 AM   #1246
DR Donk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Stu View Post
I bought a new Corvette once. I was quoted 1.9% for 5 years. When we start signing the paperwork, the note says 5.9% When I asked where the 1.9% was, they said it was no longer available. So I got up and walked out. The salesman was surprised that I'd completed all of the paperwork so quickly, until I told him 'your finance guy screwed you out of a commission' and walked out the door.

They called later that afternoon and appologized for the 'mistake' and said they had all of the paperwork ready now with the 1.9% rate.
So you went back and got it or did you go elsewhere?
DR Donk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:42 AM   #1247
Disco Stu
I'm Barry F'n Gibb!!

Oddometer: 5,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
Effective, but I've seen it handled to where you would nto have had to waste your time by drving away and driving back.

Negotiation is a process. It can all be done in the deaelership by people with skills. People without waste a lot more time and effort by walking out, but it sometimes accomplishes the same thing. (Sometimes, even if the deal could be made, the dealership just gives up on the poor negotiator.)
so, the conversation with the finance guy was a little longer than i orignally said. when i asked where the 1.9% was, he told me it was no longer available, when I told him I wouldn't buy it at their 'new' interest rate, he told me this was the best rate I was going to get anywhere. We discussed the issue for about 5 minutes before I got up and left.

To me, there are things more important than the time I wasted driving home and back again. I'd already filled out a credit app and had been approved for 1.9% on all models. The dignity of not accepting being bait-n-switched was more important to me than the time i wasted driving back and forth.
Disco Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:43 AM   #1248
Disco Stu
I'm Barry F'n Gibb!!

Oddometer: 5,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Donk View Post
So you went back and got it or did you go elsewhere?
I went back and bought it. Everyone other than the finance guy at the dealership was very easy to work with. And it was about $7,500 less than the douchebag that wouldn't budge on his MSRP + 'market adjustment' prices.
Disco Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:14 AM   #1249
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer: 5,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Stu View Post
I went back and bought it. Everyone other than the finance guy at the dealership was very easy to work with. And it was about $7,500 less than the douchebag that wouldn't budge on his MSRP + 'market adjustment' prices.
The finance guy would have gotten a bigger kickback from the lender at the higher interest rate. Your salesman should have had an understanding with him regarding the deal ahead of time. Most dealerships do this when the salesman clears the deal with his boss.
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
ttpete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:20 PM   #1250
Red9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrashCan View Post
I'm not really a long winded poster.
Remember, I'm also a consumer, and go to the same retail shops as everyone else.

I have made sales that I wish had never happened.
If a buyer is unhappy, the whole dealership is then subject to try to please this person. Parts, service, cashier, even the janitor must meet his expections.

The profit from the sale is soon eroded from the extra attention and the bad mouthing the unhappy customer is proud to supply.

As always..ymmv.
In circumstances where the customers expectations are realistic and he/she is as respectful as they expect the dealership or business to be, I would say yes.

Unfortunately many customers have unrealistic expectations.

For example: anyone in retail sales will tell you the biggest assholes who come in the door end up being the biggest assholes down the road. Fuck em. You could give them the world and they still will want more. Fuck em. Sell them if you CHOOSE to and then fuck em. Or don't sell to them and just tell em to fuck off.
Some assholes believe you have to sell to them. You don't. Fuck em.

Red9 screwed with this post 09-18-2013 at 01:27 PM
Red9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:22 PM   #1251
henshao
Bained

Oddometer: 607
The strongest negotiating tactic will always been walking out the door.
henshao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 02:39 PM   #1252
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
... Your salesman should have had an understanding with him regarding the deal ahead of time. Most dealerships do this when the salesman clears the deal with his boss.
I'm not so sure abou this.

I've not seen it in the automotive world. Salesmen sell, but don't have any inkling about what the Finance department is doing after numbers have been agreed upon. Maybe some deaelrships are different though.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 02:45 PM   #1253
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by henshao View Post
Or at least implyng you will do it - with a specific goal in mind.

If the deaelership really does let you go, though, keep in mind that you may have been unrealistic in the first place.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 02:57 PM   #1254
Handy
Sunburnt

Oddometer: 1,666
Quote:

If the deaelership really does let you go, though, keep in mind that you may have been unrealistic in the first place.
Or that they will call you in a couple days to say they will go ahead and make the deal. I have had the same dealership do this to me twice, both times I got the pleasure of telling them I already bought somewhere else.
Handy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:17 PM   #1255
PT Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by henshao View Post
That is about all the buyer has.

There always has to be two items on the table to have a negotiation. It can not be just one thing--that is a stubborn contest, not a negotiation. With two or more things, you can look at relative values. One of those things is worth more to me than it is to you, and the other item is worth more to you than to me. If price is the only thing, then the only option the buyer has is the threat of walking. The buyer wants the vehicle. The dealership needs to sell vehicles. Now we have price vs. the need to sell. The dealership may bluff about the price, or they may be willing to let you walk. Test them. If you aren't willing to walk away, just pay their price.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:31 PM   #1256
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer: 5,680
Quote:
I'm not so sure abou this.

I've not seen it in the automotive world. Salesmen sell, but don't have any inkling about what the Finance department is doing after numbers have been agreed upon. Maybe some deaelrships are different though.
The dealer's not the only source for a car loan. You can bypass the finance asshole completely. My credit union was happy to finance a car if I so desired.

I never had to put up with the BS, because as a Ford employee, I qualified for the A plan. (Z plan, now that I'm retired, same deal.) Fixed price, no quibbling about anything, the dealer's profit is controlled by the company.
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
ttpete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 03:09 AM   #1257
Ciph3r
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wlfman View Post
I bought a new 2013 FJR on 9/14. I had emailed back and forth with the sales guy on Thu-Fri about the bike. Called their finance guy Fri afternoon, to do the finance stuff over the phone (dealership is 150 miles away). Finance guy took all my info and said he'd call me back shortly. MAYBE 30 minutes later he calls back says I'm approved, when do you want to come in? I said I'll see you guys tomorrow around 11am. Since I couldn't find anyone to take me I had to drive the ruck up to haul the bike back. I got there at 1045. The bike was sitting at the front door ready to go. Walk in and there's 3 people behind the counter. One asks, Can I help you? I ask for the salesman I'd emailed and he was one of the 3 there. I introduced myself. He said come on back, we've got everything ready. Finance guy greats me and already has all the paperwork ready all it needs is my signatures. Takes 15 minutes max and they are going over the bike with me and then helping me load it on the truck. Got a couple of free t-shirts and other swag and am told I can get 15% of any gear or accessories if I need any. From the time I arrived till I left was about 45 minutes.

VERY NICE people to deal with and I would have no qualms at all buying from them again or recommending them to someone.

Seemed to be a family business. Finance guy was also Owner, salesman was his son. And I think the parts lady was related.

Anyone looking for a Yamaha or Suzuki, check out Crossroads Yamaha/Suzuki in Ablemarle NC.
In my experience, family business treat their customers way better. Here in Hamburg (Germany), we have several BMW dealerships, two are "corporate" shops and they treat the customer like shit, they just don't care. And then there is a family owned dealership with several shops and several brands (suzuki, bmw, ducati, ...) and it doesn't matter in which shop you go or to whom you talk, they are all friendly and customer orientated and value service and the customer over anything.
Same experience in other shops (not mc related), if they are family owned, you get good service (exceptions prove the rule ;) ).

Ciph3r screwed with this post 09-19-2013 at 03:31 AM
Ciph3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 04:54 AM   #1258
tmgs
...Trailers are for Boats

Oddometer: 978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciph3r View Post
In my experience, family business treat their customers way better. .

that is not really true anymore in the U.S. not necessarily with any paticular product or brand, it just seems fmaily owned business have lost that personal touch, at least compared to when I was much younger anyhow. It seems like they are doing you a favor anymore.
tmgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 09:06 AM   #1259
go4mini
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
I disagree, as will most of my customers. We have a small, family owned/run auto parts business. We constantly hear from our customers, how nice is is to deal with someone who is polite (please, thank you, etc.), knowledgable about our business, and tries to help our customers any way we can. We have customers who travel some distance, to deal with us, bypassing the big chain stores. We are not always the cheapest, but when you give good, friendly service, it makes a difference.
go4mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:28 AM   #1260
Tuna Helper
Rawrr!

Oddometer: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by David R View Post
This is a MOTORCYCLE forum. Screw the car dealers.

I took my R1200R in for a fuel strip. I had an appointment and rode right past the dealer I bought the bike to take it to MAX.

They were nice. I was waiting, and looking at the bikes. A salesman said "Is there one you would like to ride?" I said Sure, an 800. An F800 R would be best. He said they had a GS or a GT. I chose the GT. I signed a waiver. He put a plate on, described a test route and said "Be back in 1/2 hour".

I cam back and he asked if I wanted to ride anything else. I was eyeing the K1600 but said no thanks. There is no chance of me buying a K1600.

They fixed my fuel strip. No problems. I signed the papers and left on the rest of my 3 day trip.

David
Took my Buell to the dealer for a tire. while waiting I told a salesman I was going to walk across the street for lunch. He said "Would you like to take a bike?" I said Yes, please, and I signed the waiver, picked out a v-rod, and took it on the test loop they have, stopping at the subway across the street for lunch. (The dealer is tight off the highway so it is a busy six lane road.)

This past summer I went to New Zealand for vacation. I stopped in at the HD dealer in Auckland for a few shirts. They were closed, but let me come in and buy anyway. (two shirts, $100)

Tuna Helper screwed with this post 09-29-2013 at 09:24 AM
Tuna Helper is offline   Reply With Quote