Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2013, 06:40 PM   #46
SteelJM1
Undercover KTM rider

Oddometer: 1,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambooda View Post
I would also like to add I wish people kept the stock pipes on their dirt bikes too. Trails are being threatened by local land owners that are pissed off 'cause of the noise. I can't pretend I'm a little-goodie-two-shoes though. I own a KTM EXC 200 and even with the stock pipe on, 2-strokes are usually loud as heck. At the very least I take it easy while passing properties or residential area's instead of burning donuts in their backyard.

Trees have a wonderful ability to dampen noise, but this damping is proportional to f^1/3, where f is the frequency of the exhaust tone.
for example: a 200Hz exhaust note diminishes by 5.85dB/100m, whereas a 1200Hz note diminishes by 10.62dB/100m. (This doesn't give you an excuse to rev your engine really high to increase the exhaust note! )

This is likely why some people have a greater issue with cruisers than sport bikes. Low notes penetrate surfaces, and are damped much less than high notes.

To put meaning to this, if you have a speaker that outputs 100dB, then you turn on another speaker right next to it, the sound level increases by 3dB to 103dB. (Simply doubling the sound energy increases the level by 3dB, so a difference in 4.77dB/100m is a BIG DEAL.)

Hope this sheds light on some of the mysteries of 'noise'

Source: Kinsler, Fundamentals of Acoustics
Yabbut, you defeated your own point about two strokes. Yeah 2 smokers can be loud but their sound dissipated with distance pretty quickly. It's the 4 strokers with their aftermarket pipes (especially the ATV's) that carry on forever and piss people off. And that high compression thumper drone can be quite irritating. Hence why people have an issue with dirtbikes in general. Most public non-riders just see dirtbike, don't know or care to know if they're 2 or 4 stroke and just remember the obnoxious popping from miles away... and want to make them go away.
SteelJM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:23 PM   #47
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by waveydavey View Post
I'm betting that they did not hear this guy coming...sad

http://news.ca.msn.com/top-stories/s...-by-motorcycle
Well, jaywalking is dangerous...especially if you're not smart enough to look both ways before crossing.

Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:34 AM   #48
iamcanjim
Face drop

Oddometer: 681
Motorcycle noise is an economic externality. Person A gets 55 units of pleasure from his loud exhaust. 1000 other people get 1 unit of pleasure ruined by their loud exhaust.

therefore, teh total benefit to society for the loud exhaust is -945 pleasure.

This is always the case, it's an immutable law.

As for the loud trucks, since they serve a more meaningful purpose, they are not quite the economic losers.

Basically, if you ride with loud pipes, you are saying your small amount of pleasure is worth the massive amount of displeasure. And if everyone acted like this, well.....

Basically we have seen the only reasons people can justify loud pipes.

Reason 1: Fuck you, I am more important
Reason 2: It's not that big a deal, you're a pussy.
iamcanjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:47 AM   #49
waveydavey
happy times!!

Oddometer: 9,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
Well, jaywalking is dangerous...especially if you're not smart enough to look both ways before crossing.
High school kids, lunchtime, a pizza place and strip mall beckoning, no crosswalk for a half a kilometer each way. Dangerous place for sure. Apparently kids had been crossing there for years. I am still sure that if those teenage girls had heard the bike coming they would not have stepped out into the street like that. This is truly a circumstance that indicates that the momentary inconvenience of loud pipes most likely would have saved a life.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:14 AM   #50
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by justafurnaceman View Post
Is it really 99 out of 100? Wow... well, I guess I always thought that it was a lot less people or people that have too high of expectations that no one should be making ANY noise at all. Maybe it's just the changing of times and how people are thinking. True, American vision of the motorcycle is that it's a luxury item.

I guess I need to start saving up for an electric one.
So what your saying is you don't have the cognitive skills to find a reasonable compromise somewhere between an electric bike and a straight pipe Harley?

This is the problem, people who don't think or care at all.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:22 AM   #51
waveydavey
happy times!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
So what your saying is you don't have the cognitive skills to find a reasonable compromise somewhere between an electric bike and a straight pipe Harley?

I am thinking that the most rabid haters of loud pipes have other issues.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:28 AM   #52
Robert OK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 416
Quote:
I'm sure most rabid people have issues. In the general case of apologists for loud pipes vs the haters, I'd wager the former have more issues. I'm pretty sure a very small minority of ear-blasters do it to protect jaywalking teenagers.
Robert OK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:40 AM   #53
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 9,832
Quote:
....such as being able to hear things and need to be cured of that?

Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:41 AM   #54
waveydavey
happy times!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert OK View Post
I'm sure most rabid people have issues. In the general case of apologists for loud pipes vs the haters, I'd wager the former have more issues. I'm pretty sure a very small minority of ear-blasters do it to protect jaywalking teenagers.

I see. Tell me more oh most rational one.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:49 AM   #55
billmags
Scoot Jockey

Oddometer: 212
To hell with the author, Terence.

Btw- fast and furious movies suck, Terry- Get a life.
billmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:00 AM   #56
waveydavey
happy times!!

I bet she did not hear him either.

Sept. 13 8 p.m.original story: A pedestrian died from injuries she sustained while crossing at a marked crosswalk in the 7700 block of Prairie Valley Rd. in Summerland Friday morning.
Allegedly, the woman was struck at around 11:30 a.m. by an eastbound BMW motorcycle driven by a 62-year-old man from the area.
The female was conscious at the scene and was transported to Penticton Regional Hospital where she later succumbed to her injuries.
The investigation into this incident is continuing.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:52 AM   #57
justafurnaceman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 759
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post

None of my motorcycles have just straight pipes on them...

This is the problem of people trying to judge cognitive skills about people that they don't know, they just don't think.

A reasonable compromise is welcomed. It's the people who don't know what reasonable is that I'm concerned about. You can see even as riders we can't all agree on how loud a motorcycle should be. Some don't want to hear it at all while some of us think that it's part of the experience. Now what do we do??

Electric motorcycles with earbuds so we can listen to recordings of what gas powered motors sounded like.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:39 AM   #58
Robert OK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 416
Quote:
I see. Tell me more oh most rational one.
Why bother, I think you may have some "issues".
Robert OK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:44 AM   #59
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by justafurnaceman View Post
None of my motorcycles have just straight pipes on them...

This is the problem of people trying to judge cognitive skills about people that they don't know, they just don't think.

A reasonable compromise is welcomed. It's the people who don't know what reasonable is that I'm concerned about. You can see even as riders we can't all agree on how loud a motorcycle should be. Some don't want to hear it at all while some of us think that it's part of the experience. Now what do we do??

Electric motorcycles with earbuds so we can listen to recordings of what gas powered motors sounded like.
I think few of us would complain about "legal" loudness bikes, but few of those who like loud pipes consider legalities, only their own selfish wants.

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:49 AM   #60
waveydavey
happy times!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert OK View Post
Why bother, I think you may have some "issues".

how convenient.