Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2013, 06:01 AM   #46
motocrotts
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBob View Post
Over hear the gps is not included. The mount is on one of the packages.
That's why they have to pay 32000 TBob.
few other oldies
motocrotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:45 PM   #47
The_Precious_Juice
Two pump chump

Oddometer: 1,113
Question Could a Rider have their cake and eat it too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FargAT View Post

Logical reasoning; I have an ABSOLUTE aversion to taking the first hit of depreciation. I could handle the price tag on my '11, knowing that I'll drop some value in the years to come, but the curve of loss has certainly settled a bit.

Not an owner, but a potintial buyer for some North American Adventure Touring in early 2014.

I first started looking over the R1200Gs to better understand motorrad.

After looking into the brand new 2013 R1200GSw, I understand why the R1200GS is the number one bike sold for BMW.

Potinital buyers have a lot of good bikes to pick from compared to just 3 years ago.

I read that the 2014 R1200GSw adventure will be out around March or so.
__
With cars, I'd never buy brand new (none of my cars are high performance or looked at as toys).
With MCs, I'm willing to make an exception and become the first owner.

I like how the R1200GSA may allow me to have me cake and eat it too.
I'm not too sure, but it may appear that there are a good amount of these bikes on the show room floor still. It looks like some good deals could be had late in the year. Granted, I'd want to buy in late November, early December, and there would be no 2014s adventures on the floor to give me tons of leverage, but I think most buyers are holding off and waiting for this spring (to get the GSw adventure).

_
the new 2013 base is heavier, but "feels" lighter. interesting.

The big selling point for me is that the current adventure has been around since 2005! That's a lot of recalls and good upgrades and experience labor out there. Also, parts should be plentiful here in North America.

Furthermore, 100+ horse power is plenty for a bike that weighs maybe 40lbs more than a 2013 Adventure V-strom (64hps). but, to be fair, without the large panniers, the V-strom is only about 500lbs. So that's more like 64lbs.... but the gs holds 20.4lbs of more fuel. So again just 40lbs.

I really like how the current adventure is air cooled. less gremlins the better.

I checked fulley, and it looks like the fuel ecnonomy is about the same. Granted, most of the GSw riders are having a blast! The may could give two sh%^s about fuel economy.

__
I agree, the Ducati influced this bike to go more sport touring.
__
Like post two typed, it all depends on what you need. I'm looking for a dependable MC, therefore, I'd go GSA.

Just my worthless thoughts.

The_Precious_Juice screwed with this post 09-18-2013 at 08:01 PM
The_Precious_Juice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:05 AM   #48
mkletecka
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
I LOVE GS's, and my old 2009 GS was "one of the best motorcycles" I've owned. As for the new LCGS, I can see why BMW did what they did and I think its the perfect machine for people who like to wheelie & want that feel of a bit more HP, with a smoother feeling motor. More importantly, the new LCGS has better suspension and the electronic cruise control is fantastic!!!! In short, its a beautiful/well executed machine.

However, for me (I guess I'm old school), I prefer the previous "camhead" version and because of that, and my riding style/needs I got a 2013 R1200R (which I equally like for different reasons, compared to my previous 2009 GS).

For the "real roads of life" and going through canyon roads with 15 mph to 110 mph corners with no chicken strips, my new 110 HP camhead R12R, like my previous hexhead 2009 GS will stay with and sometimes beat 600cc to 1000cc sport-bikes, therefore I have no need for the LCGS's increased HP (however, I sure wish I had its electronic cruise control and cute LCD running lights). Anyway, I guess it boils down to different strokes for different folks.

mkletecka screwed with this post 09-19-2013 at 01:26 AM
mkletecka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 03:46 AM   #49
Random-Water
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
If you are still considering the LC-GS, check this out
http://www.happy-trail.com/Bikes-For...-R1200GSW.aspx

Full outfitted less than 5000 miles.
Random-Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:14 AM   #50
deacon51
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
I test road a R1200GS in 2009... didn't like it. Bought a FJR.
I test road a R1200GS in 2013... loved it, put down my deposit on a 2014 model.

And buy the old one because the mechanic has more experience working on it... really?

Ride both, check you bank account and buy the bike that makes you happy. My personal opinion that the new GS is freaking great and the old GS was a POS that I would never own at any price should have no effect on you.
deacon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:31 AM   #51
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girthy Knobkers View Post
"crates of documentation" was not at all what I said. A crate WITH documentation.

Get involved with the rides they did to debut this bike and then tell me you smell BS. Until next time...
Are you just trolling, or do you have information to share? If you have information that would benefit the community, please share it.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:25 AM   #52
mkletecka
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
I test road a R1200GS in 2009... didn't like it. Bought a FJR.

I test road a R1200GS in 2013... loved it, put down my deposit on a 2014 model.

And buy the old one because the mechanic has more experience working on it... really?

You and similar riders coming from Japanese, Ducati's etc. "higher HP, smoother motor" machines, and also the next generation of riders is what I heard BMW designed the new LCGS for, because the new LCGS's motor acts more like those machines.

I admit that the previous version was hard for some to "get", particularly based on a 15 minute to 2 hour test drive. Anyway, the new LCGS is great, however I prefer the feel and "real world" performance of the previous camhead (regardless of money). Anyway - enjoy your new LCGS - many do and many are switching over (just not me) !!!!!!!!!!

mkletecka screwed with this post 09-19-2013 at 08:32 AM
mkletecka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:44 AM   #53
JetSpeed
Naviator

Oddometer: 2,419
For me, the oil head boxer took some time to fall in love with, the more I rode the bike the more I liked it, the hex head was much the same except I now had experience and already loved the concept.
The new liquid cooled version is sort of the opposite, I was impressed with the smoothness and power on the initial ride home (no test ride for me) but as the miles rack up the engine becomes less of a novelty and I have to admit that during a long ride it feels like the old bike, I'd like to have my 05 back for a day now just to compare.

Breakfast first, lunch second and safety third.
I'm a staunch believer in MTGMTT, don't take unnecessary chances too often.
JetSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:15 PM   #54
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Precious_Juice View Post
Not an owner, but a potintial buyer for some North American Adventure Touring in early 2014.

I first started looking over the R1200Gs to better understand motorrad.

After looking into the brand new 2013 R1200GSw, I understand why the R1200GS is the number one bike sold for BMW.

Potinital buyers have a lot of good bikes to pick from compared to just 3 years ago.

I read that the 2014 R1200GSw adventure will be out around March or so.
__
With cars, I'd never buy brand new (none of my cars are high performance or looked at as toys).
With MCs, I'm willing to make an exception and become the first owner.

I like how the R1200GSA may allow me to have me cake and eat it too.
I'm not too sure, but it may appear that there are a good amount of these bikes on the show room floor still. It looks like some good deals could be had late in the year. Granted, I'd want to buy in late November, early December, and there would be no 2014s adventures on the floor to give me tons of leverage, but I think most buyers are holding off and waiting for this spring (to get the GSw adventure).

_
the new 2013 base is heavier, but "feels" lighter. interesting.

The big selling point for me is that the current adventure has been around since 2005! That's a lot of recalls and good upgrades and experience labor out there. Also, parts should be plentiful here in North America.

Furthermore, 100+ horse power is plenty for a bike that weighs maybe 40lbs more than a 2013 Adventure V-strom (64hps). but, to be fair, without the large panniers, the V-strom is only about 500lbs. So that's more like 64lbs.... but the gs holds 20.4lbs of more fuel. So again just 40lbs.

I really like how the current adventure is air cooled. less gremlins the better.

I checked fulley, and it looks like the fuel ecnonomy is about the same. Granted, most of the GSw riders are having a blast! The may could give two sh%^s about fuel economy.

__
I agree, the Ducati influced this bike to go more sport touring.
__
Like post two typed, it all depends on what you need. I'm looking for a dependable MC, therefore, I'd go GSA.

Just my worthless thoughts.
Don't kid yourself, the new engine is a vast improvement over the cam head.
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:11 PM   #55
Mav
Something witty...

Oddometer: 3,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
But in actual reality, I've ridden both my 05 and GSW offroad and while there is a difference its nothing that can't be overcome with a little more clutch work in the slower technical spots and you won't smoke the clutch on the GSW, otherwise the GSW is a better mount for most dirt/fire roads and 90% of the other offroad riding I do, for anything above about 8-10mph the GSW is more pleasurable.

In a nutshell; any skillful rider will have no problem doing on the GSW what he was able to on the previous version and in most situations do it better.

A lower first gear would be a plus and I expect to see either that or a lower overall final drive ratio on the upcoming ADV model.
I wouldn't necessarily describe myself as a 'skillful rider'... but offroad is where I get my kicks. I've spent 8 or so hours putting myself and the latest GS through it's paces offroad. And yes, I can still do what I'm used to doing on the previous generation boxers... but that low down, tractable torque, simply isn't there on the WC engine. Combine that with the electrickery of traction control, and what would've been straightforward on my GSA or HP, is now pretty frustrating. Maybe I'm getting old and boring, but I'm not sure I need that extra power, more than I enjoy that low down pull...

I will say that the ABS is some kind of voodoo offroad

-------------------------
All the gear.. no idea!
Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:20 PM   #56
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Oddometer: 6,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
For me, the oil head boxer took some time to fall in love with, the more I rode the bike the more I liked it, the hex head was much the same except I now had experience and already loved the concept.
The new liquid cooled version is sort of the opposite, I was impressed with the smoothness and power on the initial ride home (no test ride for me) but as the miles rack up the engine becomes less of a novelty and I have to admit that during a long ride it feels like the old bike, I'd like to have my 05 back for a day now just to compare.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav View Post
I wouldn't necessarily describe myself as a 'skillful rider'... but offroad is where I get my kicks. I've spent 8 or so hours putting myself and the latest GS through it's paces offroad. And yes, I can still do what I'm used to doing on the previous generation boxers... but that low down, tractable torque, simply isn't there on the WC engine. Combine that with the electrickery of traction control, and what would've been straightforward on my GSA or HP, is now pretty frustrating. Maybe I'm getting old and boring, but I'm not sure I need that extra power, more than I enjoy that low down pull...

I will say that the ABS is some kind of voodoo offroad
EJ 92606 is right now....
VEGASGSA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:29 PM   #57
steveWFL
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty1945 View Post
What's the source of this info? I haven't heard this before.
If its on the 'net source doesn;t matter cuz it has to be true
'99 ZX9R - because I like the other one so much
'08 ZZR600 minty
steveWFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:43 PM   #58
Mav
Something witty...

Oddometer: 3,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGASGSA View Post
EJ 92606 is right now....
Who is EJ 92606?

Someone I've offended for calling the engine WC?

-------------------------
All the gear.. no idea!
Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:56 PM   #59
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Oddometer: 6,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav View Post
Who is EJ 92606?

Someone I've offended for calling the engine WC?
no..an Inmate who keeps telling me that regardless of what I think..the new motor is better no matter what, than the older Hex or Cam heads..He and I had an ongoing debate in another thread..

I, like you, think the previous two generations, were (are) more useful down on the bottom...Some of the riders at Touratech agree with us to some extent..

He and I just disagree on the issue..I only have 100,000 miles of experience with boxers, so maybe I'm not the guy to query on it..only maybe 40% of that off pavement..
VEGASGSA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:54 PM   #60
At adventure
AB

Oddometer: 126
This was my summary in a previous post

This banter reminds me of the "old school" Vs "new school" debate that was on when they revolutionised snow ski design I.e when the new parabolic ski design hit the market. There was strong debate but in the end technology ruled as the new designs were easier to turn and more fun. All it took was a giving the new technology a decent test ride and the rest is history! Remember there are-

Things you know
Things you know you don't know
Things you don't know you don't know
And some things that you don't want to know about!

Ps have owned both and are both great machines .... Just like my old and new skis!

Notwithstanding this I think there is a valid point in this post about the GSW loosing the "tractor factor" off road. It will be interesting to see if the new GSA brings this back via lower gearing etc.
At adventure is offline   Reply With Quote