ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 35 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-19-2013, 01:20 PM   #511
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by DualDude450 View Post
I down load 6 tracks from my computer to my 78. I select Track 01 and begin to ride. I ride to the end of track 01 and then I have to select track 02 to be able to see it and ride it.

Again, what are you calling "select" there is no such command?

If you open a Track, you will see two commands, "View Map" and "Show on Map".

View Map is useless, it shows the whole (end to end) track on the map but in this mode the map will not move under you. Perhaps it is ok to just know what track you what that track is, then go do somethinig with it.

After you down load up to 200 tracks (they will ALL default off), open EACH one and click "Show On Map" this is a verb/command not a state. If a track says "Hide" it means it is currently SHOWING, so don't change it.

When done EVERY track will SHOW on the map and you can ride from one to the next and never know you are on a new track unless it is a different color.

Sounds like you are a new 78 user. Please go to my web site DualSportWest.com and click GPS and read all of my set up suggestions.

Countdown screwed with this post 09-19-2013 at 01:25 PM
Countdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 02:43 PM   #512
DualDude450
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
Again, what are you calling "select" there is no such command?

If you open a Track, you will see two commands, "View Map" and "Show on Map".

View Map is useless, it shows the whole (end to end) track on the map but in this mode the map will not move under you. Perhaps it is ok to just know what track you what that track is, then go do somethinig with it.

After you down load up to 200 tracks (they will ALL default off), open EACH one and click "Show On Map" this is a verb/command not a state. If a track says "Hide" it means it is currently SHOWING, so don't change it.

When done EVERY track will SHOW on the map and you can ride from one to the next and never know you are on a new track unless it is a different color.

Sounds like you are a new 78 user. Please go to my web site DualSportWest.com and click GPS and read all of my set up suggestions.
Sorry, by select I meant pressing enter. Ok - I had it backwards...I assumed when it said "Show on Map" it would show...it's the other way around...got it now! Thanks Jerry! I will check out your sight.

Yamaha WR450F "Plated"
DualDude450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 01:09 PM   #513
Wilson9068
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Hi All,

Before I go and spend just over 200 on a 62ST I was wondering what the quality of the 'recreational' map was like? Garmin add 30 to retail price for the privilege of the map but I am not sure of the quality? Is it for example as a good as, perhaps even the same as, the Topo maps that you can buy separately?

Im a UK user so a UK response would be great but if the US retailers are offering a US equivalent then a comparison of the 'recreational' map with the relevant topo map would be most appreciated.

Thanks.
Wilson9068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:36 PM   #514
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,360
Not sure of cost or source for you but the 78 is preferred over the 62 do to hard wire options.

Bruce
mcnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:49 AM   #515
grahamfitter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Waiting for three months then updating both Basecamp and 78S software seems to have cured the 5 minute delay after connection problem.

Other than accumulating tracks here and there, nothing changed on the GPS so maybe some caching bug was fixed somewhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamfitter View Post
No but now it takes about 5 minutes for Basecamp to ponder the 78S when I connect it before I can transfer anything from the device.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Have you been changing maps? The usual reason for the delay is that the maps need to be read by the computer, but that's usually only going to happen the first time the computer sees the maps on the gps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
The delay at the start happens with any of the Garmins which can be used by Basecamp that way but in my experience the delay only happens the first time I plug the gps in with a different mapset. From then on, the maps are cached by Basecamp.

There's even a way in Javawa Device Manager to flush the cache in case the mapset has changed but is not seen as different, or if the mapset is flawed in some way.
Old 11-17-2013, 04:07 PM   #516
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 18,244
Welp... since the 76 took a shit on me (need to get it repaired/replaced), been using the 78 for a few weeks.

The "Find" that took forever ended up being the mapset. Upgraded CityNav fixed that.

But... it's still a really difficult receiver to use.

I can't stand the big blocky font they put on there, it's a lot harder to read than plain numbers. The small text, being dithered, same deal... really hard to read. And I've got good eyesight.

The lack of a turn-preview irritates me. It squawks, but doesn't really tell you where to go. And the squawks aren't really helpful either, not sure if they changed the routing algorithm but the heads-up chirp doesn't always happen, and the "Turn now" chirp doesn't happen until you're almost in the intersection.

The only thing I like about it is it's faster at panning on the map.
Other than that, just about everything is better on the 60/76.
Old 11-17-2013, 04:45 PM   #517
nickgindy
Doing it Wrong

Oddometer: 2,416
Just upgraded from the 62 to the 62s. Anyone know how much I could get for my used 62 with a North America DVD?

Each and every day is in memory of IMPD Officer Perry Renn. E.O.W July 5, 2014. "I will always get out of my car."
2003 Sv650s; 2012 BMW F650GS; 1999 Suzuki Dr 350se
http://www.youtube.com/fetuss10
nickgindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:16 AM   #518
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickgindy View Post
Just upgraded from the 62 to the 62s. Anyone know how much I could get for my used 62 with a North America DVD?
You could probably get $150 with the map. $100 for the gps alone.

Sent using strings and tin cans and Tapatalk.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 07:29 PM   #519
JUIJITSU
FACTOTUM

Oddometer: 503
Black Friday

So now REI is selling the Garmin 62s under $200 US.
Does that make it a good deal or is that a sign it is a soon to be discontinued model. Anyone following Garmin really close?
Old 11-30-2013, 07:39 PM   #520
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUIJITSU View Post
So now REI is selling the Garmin 62s under $200 US.
Does that make it a good deal or is that a sign it is a soon to be discontinued model. Anyone following Garmin really close?
I think it's about to be discontinued, but that doesn't make it any less useful. The mini usb power connection is not robust enough for motorcycle use, in my opinion, but the gps itself is good.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:50 AM   #521
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

[QUOTE=Emmbeedee;22892975] I think it's about to be discontinued, . The mini usb power connection is not robust enough for motorcycle use, UOTE]

The 60 was by far the unit of choice for Dual Sport riders, and 62 is selling but perhaps the lack of 12V power is the death neal for the 62?

Other factor is that 60/76 work just fine for that market so until they dry up buyers are not switching to more expensive 62/78 for nothing.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:05 PM   #522
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 18,244
That, and the new ones suck
Old 12-02-2013, 02:34 PM   #523
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowMule View Post
Only if they're too complicated for you.

Sent using strings and tin cans and Tapatalk.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:15 PM   #524
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowMule View Post
I think one of the big problems Garmin has is that they change things for no reason and that hurts sales of new designs.

In my sport, sales are split between first time buyers and replacements for broken units. When the new generation units came out and prices got down to what people were paying for the old ones they looked attractive, "New, Better, Bold New Graphics".

When a first time buyer got one he took it to his friends who all had 60/76 and said how do I use it? Friend took swing at helping him and discovered it worked nothing like his unit and told him, "return it and get something good".

When a old time user (like me) who has perhaps had an e-map, then a 76C, then several 76Cx all with very easy transition then got a 78. There was almost no carry forward of previouis learning curve. It was like buying another brand not just a beter Garmin. Then after mastering it, found that it has several design flaws. I know several people like me who just have their 78 in the box as a backup spare.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:36 PM   #525
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Geez, it's like the record's stuck. Same old argument goes on and on.

Sent from my Monterra using Tapatalk