Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2013, 08:26 AM   #721
Brtp4
Do what you love.

Oddometer: 1,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagedrifter View Post
Small? The current offering is a fat 1/2 size larger than any other helmet I ever tried.
"Did we give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?? No!"

"Germans?"

"Forget it, he's rolling."

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:48 AM   #722
mosey.levy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brtp4 View Post
Fellow ADVRiders,

Glad to say that the long-delayed (almost a year) AFX FX-39 (and Fly Trekker) Sunshields are BACK IN STOCK.

More info here:

Available in Dark smoke, light smoke, or mirror.

http://www.atomic-moto.com/AFX-FX-39...eld_p_731.html

BP
Anyone able to compare that sun shield to this product:
http://www.afxhelmets.com/parts/fastshields.php

Wondering which would be better for me.
I like the fact that I can flip the sun shield up and down easily but I don't know how it's going to look on the road when flipped up. I don't use the afx visor which is what would usually hide it when in the up position.

I'm thinking the fast shield is more remove able which is nice but then again if I don't prepare in advance I'll find my self on the side of the road installing it when needed.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:51 AM   #723
mosey.levy
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bash3r View Post
I run my Sena on my Fly 100% of the time and the speakers don't touch my ears.. here's some photos

I have the same setup and they do bother my ears.
I've played with placement only a bit and it helped mildly.
I should play with it more- I think if I had a headphone pad around the headphone it might feel less annoying.

Sena is great overall though.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:45 PM   #724
mosey.levy
Studly Adventurer

ok i think i might be a chump. just ordered $50 worth of accessories for my helmet (after shipping).

helmet chin
fast shield (see links from above post)
half outersun shield

http://d.pr/i/t33G
mosey.levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:33 AM   #725
majorpayne
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
It looks like places are taking preorders for the fx-41 now. It appears that it comes with an internal flip down sun shade, a chin curtain, quick release strap, etc. I'm wondering if the consensus is going to be that it would be better to pay the extra for it and wait for delivery (sites say October) than to go with the 39 and buy the extras.

I have a Bilt helmet that I got on sale with very few frills. I got it with the understanding that I would get a more feature rich helmet later. Once I get something "fancier" I will probably take the shield off the Bilt helmet and use it with goggles only.
majorpayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:49 AM   #726
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by majorpayne View Post
It looks like places are taking preorders for the fx-41 now. It appears that it comes with an internal flip down sun shade, a chin curtain, quick release strap, etc. I'm wondering if the consensus is going to be that it would be better to pay the extra for it and wait for delivery (sites say October) than to go with the 39 and buy the extras.

I have a Bilt helmet that I got on sale with very few frills. I got it with the understanding that I would get a more feature rich helmet later. Once I get something "fancier" I will probably take the shield off the Bilt helmet and use it with goggles only.
I personally would go with the built in sunshield... I find them a lot more convenient. ie you can leave the outer shield up and just put the sunshield down etc.
The only downside I can see so far is the revzilla review says the 41 has less room for goggles.
rockinrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:18 PM   #727
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,600
Have liners become available yet?
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:33 AM   #728
e010584
Dirt Rider

Oddometer: 15
Internal vs. External Sun Shield

Although I too was sold on the convenience of an internal sun shield, it quickly became apparent that it comes at the expense of reducing the amount of protection in an area of the helmet that most would consider pretty critical. The other unexpected benefit of the external sun shield is that it affords an un-tinted down view of the instruments, where an internal visor being closer to the face would typically tint the whole field of view.
e010584 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:40 PM   #729
mosey.levy
Studly Adventurer

Photos and thoughts on sun shield I bought.

http://city-gs.tumblr.com/post/61703.../sun-in-my-eye
Old 10-01-2013, 07:10 PM   #730
NotDylan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quick sizing question: Head measured 22 5/8 or just under 57 1/2 cm. Small ends at 57 while medium starts at 58. I'm guessing a small would be the right choice.
NotDylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 03:27 PM   #731
Brtp4
Do what you love.

Oddometer: 1,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotDylan View Post
Quick sizing question: Head measured 22 5/8 or just under 57 1/2 cm. Small ends at 57 while medium starts at 58. I'm guessing a small would be the right choice.
Probably yes. However, it is likely that the cheekpads will be VERY tight initially. They will break in, but this is a common occurrence with size S users of this model.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:18 AM   #732
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,818
I am still loving my FX-39 for dual sporting rides. Used it this past weekend with sunglasses underneath and loved it.

DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:48 AM   #733
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,412
A quick change shield would be nice though, I hate messing with shield changes. I tour with my 39 and like dark shields during the day. But, this time a year I know I'll be riding after dark more, so I leave the 39 with the dark shield at home. But, its great on a hot summer day with sun beating down. Mine is still going strong, liner is holding up well after three summers.

I'll probably get the 41 if the fit is still oval anyway and stick with the sun shade thing with a clear main, my 39 will probably be well worn after I drop it a few more times...
sagedrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:58 AM   #734
genka
SUV hater

Oddometer: 1,525
Does any one have a problem with fading paint? Mine yellowed after one year of use. I probably wouldn't notice it on a solid helmet, it is very visible between the bare shell and white portions of the graphics, which retained original color. Would it be covered by warranty?

Форум мотоциклистов в США http://www.xytopok.net/mvnforum/listthreads?forum=31
genka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:25 AM   #735
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,412
I have helmets that have yellowed over the years, usually takes three years of regular use to show. One year is pretty quick, but I bet it depends on UV exposure and I bet a cheap helmet probably has less paint quality. The more they are out in the sun, the quicker they loose the like new colors. My old N102 is sliver, black and white, but the white is pee yellow now..

My last helmet was solid silver and it still looks good after three summers. I've stopped messing with the multicolored graphics, they get out dated anyway. Kinda like colorful riding jackets that turn pink and etc, my black one aged the best, its great if you like purple.

The only helmet I have thats still perfect color wise is a 6 year old Shark RSI Acid, my other helmets with white in the graphics have all yellowed. Not sure why the old Shark has not, it still looks like new and has many miles on it. My other flat white Shark RSI is getting yellow and it is about 4 years old. Who knows... My two solid silver helmets still look like new, I think silver ages the best, even better than gloss black.

sagedrifter screwed with this post 10-03-2013 at 11:33 AM
sagedrifter is offline   Reply With Quote