VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 06:09 PM   #62
IrishCatholic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemiiten View Post
The engine response of the LC boxer is much sharper compared to the Hex/Camhead motors. While that makes for a impressive test ride, ooh it wheelies, and fuels exciting magazine reviews, It has diminished the bikes ability offroad. The previous bikes ability to hook up on slippery terrain , or crawl along at low RPMs is gone. For riders who actually use the GS offroad, that's a shame. Here's to hoping BMW delivers the new Adventure model with engine characteristics suitable for a riding a large bike offroad.
So, when you switch to enduro mode and the mapping changes, along with the suspension, abs and traction control, it is still unsuitable for the dirt?
Old 09-19-2013, 06:25 PM   #63
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Oddometer: 7,082
Irish...I felt/feel the same as Bemiiten....

I have been told..if you get it into enduro PRO mode, it begins to resemble the old bike...in power delivery..

Seems like going backwards huh? Lotsa power, tamed by computers, back to what it was...wider tires, less suited to dirt..more to asphalt..

GS riders have spoke...and Bavaria was listening.. frankly, I'm suprised..it doesn't have a 17" front on it..

Old 09-19-2013, 07:42 PM   #64
IrishCatholic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Just my two cents ...

My 2014 GSWC is on a ship that left France today and is headed for New York. My thinking is this. I live in central Texas, which has basically no public land, and it's 8 to 10 hours on the pavement (highway or two lane rural roads) to get "off-road". Most off-road opportunities available to me are unpaved roads of some sort in national forests or parks and I believe that FOR ME the new GS's various capabilities reflects my future use of this machine very well. If your circumstance has you preferring the former models - great! I'm very comfortable with the reality that 90% of my miles will be on the pavement (perhaps more than that) and consequently I like the direction the GS has taken. I'm not claiming it's better that prior models, just more suitable for me and I suspect I'm pretty typical of most GS owners. By the way, I find myself disconnecting the front sway bar and engaging the lockers on my Jeep Rubicon far less often than I envisioned when I order it last year - I'm sure my GS experience will be similar.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:48 PM   #65
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Oddometer: 7,082
IC...

Perfect post...
Old 09-19-2013, 09:24 PM   #66
Centurion210
Attitude Indicator

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishCatholic View Post
My 2014 GSWC is on a ship that left France today and is headed for New York. My thinking is this. I live in central Texas, which has basically no public land, and it's 8 to 10 hours on the pavement (highway or two lane rural roads) to get "off-road". Most off-road opportunities available to me are unpaved roads of some sort in national forests or parks and I believe that FOR ME the new GS's various capabilities reflects my future use of this machine very well. If your circumstance has you preferring the former models - great! I'm very comfortable with the reality that 90% of my miles will be on the pavement (perhaps more than that) and consequently I like the direction the GS has taken. I'm not claiming it's better that prior models, just more suitable for me and I suspect I'm pretty typical of most GS owners. By the way, I find myself disconnecting the front sway bar and engaging the lockers on my Jeep Rubicon far less often than I envisioned when I order it last year - I'm sure my GS experience will be similar.
From one Texan to another: I could not have said it better! +1
Old 09-19-2013, 09:35 PM   #67
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 7,262
Quote:
So, when you switch to enduro mode and the mapping changes, along with the suspension, abs and traction control, it is still unsuitable for the dirt?
I can only compare it to my '05. Set up as you noted the '13 is much better than the '05. The enduro ABS/ASC is magic. However, I think part of their complaint is related to technique. If you want to grunt along at very low speed/low RPM near lugging the engine the earlier bike is better. The camhead, in particular, had a bump in the torque curve at about 2300 RPM. See http://www.motorcycle.com/gallery/ga..._itemId=377518

But why stay at low RPM? You've got a wet clutch. USE IT! Keep the RPM at about 3K and slip the clutch. It gives you plenty of torque and more control than you had with the older bike. More torque... more control. Yeah, its a different technique. Well, its a different bike.
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:52 PM   #68
mefly2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,231
Quote:
...I believe that FOR ME the new GS's various capabilities reflects my future use of this machine very well. If your circumstance has you preferring the former models - great! I'm very comfortable with the reality that 90% of my miles will be on the pavement (perhaps more than that) and consequently I like the direction the GS has taken. I'm not claiming it's better that prior models, just more suitable for me and I suspect I'm pretty typical of most GS owners. By the way, I find myself disconnecting the front sway bar and engaging the lockers on my Jeep Rubicon far less often than I envisioned when I order it last year - I'm sure my GS experience will be similar.
I am a long ways north of Texas, but...Yep, yep, & yep ...even with the jeep, too.
Touratech: Upper Crash Bars, big foot, pannier rack, ZegaPro panniers;
Fuzeblock, Rigid Dually D2 + yellow covers; Wunderlich bar risers w/ Q-adjust
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:01 PM   #69
Mav
Something witty...

Oddometer: 3,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGASGSA View Post
no..an Inmate who keeps telling me that regardless of what I think..the new motor is better no matter what, than the older Hex or Cam heads..He and I had an ongoing debate in another thread..

I, like you, think the previous two generations, were (are) more useful down on the bottom...Some of the riders at Touratech agree with us to some extent..

He and I just disagree on the issue..I only have 100,000 miles of experience with boxers, so maybe I'm not the guy to query on it..only maybe 40% of that off pavement..
Yeah... so what would a combined experience of a couple hundred thousand miles count for anyway...

Quote:
Just to be clear IC - it's far from 'unsuitable'. Anytime you have an opportunity to open her up, the engine is an absolute weapon, reminding me of my HP2 (I should do the maths to compare power-to-weight). And the ABS and traction control are mighty impressive.

It's just that when you get to the slow, technical sections, the engine seems to want/need a lot more revs to keep it going. This is not bad, per se, just very different... and I can imagine this being even more pronounced when 2 up and loaded, on a GSA size bike.

-------------------------
All the gear.. no idea!
Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 02:13 AM   #70
pebe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Thumb

How much better? that much better

My offroad skills are nothing to null
My offroad experience are not much more

On a 2011 GS (with Heidenau K60 Scout tires) I have had the pleasure to enjoy some gravel roads and some mud... and lots of fun

On my 2014 GSW (with Michelin Anakee 3, the newest version apparently ) I have the feeling that my offroad skills are "good" and that i must have lots of experience

I love the GSW more and more every day i ride it (and i ride it every day...)
This bike is stunning far beyond my expectations
pebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:05 AM   #71
HwyChile
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
I live in central Texas, which has basically no public land, and it's 8 to 10 hours on the pavement (highway or two lane rural roads) to get "off-road". Most off-road opportunities available to me are unpaved roads of some sort in national forests or parks ...
It would be nice if we had more off road areas and dirt roads here in Texas to explore the state like the ones running through other states. I recently went to Cloud Croft, NM to ride off road on a dirt bike and it was a lot of fun to ride fire roads and trails. I've never owned a BMW or any other dual sport, but I am thinking of getting one so that I can hopefully explore the US and other countries. The new GSWC looks like the ticket.
HwyChile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:04 PM   #72
roamer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 308
I have a 06. I just spent a week in the Dolomites on a 12 chasing a 13. I came home to Arizona and put my money down on a red or white 14, witch ever comes in first. UPS just dropped off my $3500 Touratech order, I can't wait to get the bike now. First time I had all my farkles before the bike.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Old 10-09-2013, 10:22 AM   #73
mefly2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,231
My dealer just "plugged-in" my Enduro Pro module last week - I got my GSW in early April and the module was not sent with the bike. Yes, it works well in moderate off road gravel / dirt. Not sure about mud ... and have not yet tried it in snow - soon to come, however.

Pro allows you to power the rear wheel around in turns and still maintain anti-lock on the front brake; very nice engineering!
Touratech: Upper Crash Bars, big foot, pannier rack, ZegaPro panniers;
Fuzeblock, Rigid Dually D2 + yellow covers; Wunderlich bar risers w/ Q-adjust
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote