Old 08-17-2013, 08:40 AM   #47
dogjaw OP
plays well alone

Oddometer: 2,912
Old 08-17-2013, 10:31 AM   #48
dogjaw OP
plays well alone

I would love to say I made good time through Utah, but unfortunately I put the middle D in ADD, and I am blown away by the scenery...

Fell in with a bunch of Australian HD riders at one of MANY repaving closures; these guys love their branded merchandise. I used to consider these guys as Milwaukee roadblocks, now I think they're Milwaukee rolling billboards. I didn't want to be slowed by the group mentality going through the pass into Durango, so the little 500 made short work(get it?) of the big twins; this is an awesome bike.

Rolled into Durango, a small Chinese buffet was unfortunate enough to appear before me; I hadn't eaten in a day, so I proceeded to bankrupt them. The cute Chinese girl was very friendly when I got there, but decidedly more aloof when I left; can't imagine why... I probably smelled like a goat and definitely ate like a horse.

Planned on making another pass up 550, but the omniscient afternoon thunderstorms were looming and I didn't want to re enact that particular scene, I dove south to Pagosa Springs; should have saved myself the bother as I got soaked anyway.

Stopped for gas at Pagosa, where this creepy looking guy offered to watch my bike, assuring me that he wasn't a thief; well, OK, if you say so, that's good enough for me... So I carried all my gear into the head, as the Chinese orgy from earlier in the day was wreaking gastrointestinal havoc; now there are TWO establishments in SW Colorado that were all to happy to see me head into New Mexico. I'm pretty sure that the hazmat crews were being scrambled as I was crossing the state line.

Why do I look so pleased with myself?
Old 08-17-2013, 10:40 AM   #49
dogjaw OP
plays well alone

Crossed the Rio Grande Gorge bridge, 8th tallest in the US; I kept seeing rosaries hanging from the bridge, so I had to have one, found out later that they were marking suicides, not souvenirs; oops, who knew? If you're really looking for a definite way to end it, 650' straight down is a sure guarantee; none of these half hearted attempts with baby aspirin or sleeping pills. Very impressive gorge...
Old 08-17-2013, 11:01 AM   #50
dogjaw OP
plays well alone

Hit Taos around sundown, camped in the Carson National Forest; I don't know what New Mexico does to enhance their sunsets, but I'm sure that the other states consider it cheating.

Awoke around two to the sound of a commotion, the light of the moon illuminating a small bear in the camp; as long as he didn't view my hammock as a large green taco, I was willing to let bygones be bygones, and he eventually ambled off, and both of us were better for the encounter... Godspeed, little bear.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:56 AM   #51
dogjaw OP
plays well alone

It got seriously cold that night outside of Angel Fire, but I knew I had a 600 mile day ahead, so I rolled out early; ran into a cloud bank outside of Eagle's Nest, it was like riding through a dream, the ephemeral wisps circulating around the bike. Hwy 64 is fantastic in this area, great S curves and elevation changes, and awesome bluff lines, smaller than the Rockies, but somehow much more personal. The road gradually flattened out heading east, giving great opportunities to spot antelope in the rolling plains. I stopped by to see the Turkish cuties at the Macdonalds in Raton, but the moment was gone, and they weren't anywhere near as interesting as they were when i first passed through during the big hailstorm, I guess proof that you should never retrack a route, and always push new ones, or maybe it's a case of not returning to the scene of the crime.

I rolled hard for Amarillo; how could I have been so cold earlier, now roasting on the plains of west Texas? I have to keep reminding myself that straight slab or twisty two lane, it's all part if the same road and to be treasured as such; what if I was confined to a wheelchair and unable to ride? Even a spin around a parking lot would become a valued experience. Reminds me of a time when
I had a ruptured Achilles' tendon; I then truly appreciated the simple act of walking when in a full length leg cast for months; sometimes the little things aren't so little.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:16 PM   #52
dogjaw OP
plays well alone

A little ways down the road from Amarillo, if there is any such thing as a little ways in Texas, I happened across this memorial to the tribulation of Jesus; a little over the top, but very sobering nonetheless. If He chose this path for us, how much more should we sacrifice for those around us? It's pretty easy to give lip service to religiosity when there are others around us in such need... OK, I'll now take up the offering and dismiss.

Ran into another HD group, this time from Copenhagen, a bunch of misplaced Danes in comically misplaced regalia looking for a taste of Americana on Rt 66; pale legs in short shorts sporting brand new black leather jack boots is not the look you're striving for, Sven. Living is easy when your entire group fuels off of the same gas card; gotta keep in rolling...
Old 08-17-2013, 12:29 PM   #53
dogjaw OP
plays well alone

Stop in Elk City looking for a place to camp, when I receive a text that Harold and Kumar, the Dumas boys, have a motel only 30 minutes up the road, so I head that way. The motel is a work of art attached to a liquor store, but it beats camping for the third night in a row. The owner is a very shady character who hands me a flashlight and bids me to check out his storeroom, I'm thinking Silence of the Lambs, but this is .what the light reveals:

Turns out he's a nice guy who has been collecting Italian bikes for years, and is now wanting to liquidate some of his inventory; he has numerous classic cars as well.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:47 PM   #54
dogjaw OP
plays well alone

Morning breaks to find a storm has moved through and the Dumas boys ready to move on with a healthy dose of homesickitus; I'm moving slower, wanting to change my oil and check out Red Canyon state park just down the road, both worthwhile endeavors.

Then it's time to point her east, hunker down and grind out 600 miles home; the CB 500 did great at extended times at 80+, but there are only a finite number of places and ways to shift and twist your anatomy before soft bits begin to wear out.

Out west is life in 3D and larger than life, but I'm thankful that Arkansas is where I hang my helmet. I'm also grateful that I met Trevor, and his ride reports and video inspired me to take a stab at life on the road, if just for a bit. Also to my understanding wife and kids
who turned me loose for a season; had to get home to move my daughter into her dorm room; starting college Monday.

...and Max missed his daddy.

Old 08-17-2013, 12:47 PM   #55
dogjaw OP
plays well alone

https://www.everribbon.com/ribbon/view/8352

And don't forget to give...
Old 08-17-2013, 01:02 PM   #56
Mister D
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,608
I just happened to be standing in dogjaw's driveway when he pulled in. I got a few pics.

I'm glad you got out there and lived, bro. Funny thing is, you live right all the time. You sure had an awesome trip.
Old 08-17-2013, 02:24 PM   #57
mart
Sideways

Oddometer: 6
So glad you got to see Colorado for motorcycle. Glad you're back
Old 08-17-2013, 02:46 PM   #58
SVader
Lurker

Oddometer: 189
Glad you had a good trip. Looking forward to following that X through the Ozarks.
SVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:30 PM   #59
Thumpstart92
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 253
Left on a 91 Nighthawk. Comes back on a 2013 CB500x. Cant beat that with a stick
Old 09-20-2013, 12:42 AM   #60
Xaero
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Great ride report! I found this website with it (and you got the motorcycle I want to get some day when I can).
Xaero is offline   Reply With Quote