Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2013, 06:33 PM   #271
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Oddometer: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearwaterBMW View Post
glad i found your ride report
it is awesome and i really appreciate you sharing it with us.
thanks for updating every single day... that is AWESOME
Thanks ClearwaterBMW, it's good to hear this kind of input, and glad you like it.

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Meaner View Post
Hi Jeff,
Was booking a boat from Panama much of a hassle or are there plenty of them available and willing to transport a bike and rider? Always considered getting past the Darian Gap as one of the biggest road blocks to S.A. or am I wrong?
Enjoining the trip with you so far!

Keep Safe,
Rick
Hi Rick, the booking was easy through the internet. Started looking about 2 weeks ago and the Stahlratt was vole at the beginning of October so looked at the Independence and e-mailed them, and they had a spot open.
Not very complicated really, you do need to make a $50 deposit to confirm the booking and that's it, oh and show-up of course.
Glad you like the report.

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BcDano View Post
Hi Jeff,

Great looking ride report. Looks like you will be just a little behind us is SA. Look froward to connecting at some point.
Hey BcDano, that would be great, and thanks.
Will follow your ride and we will see if we get close.

Jeff
Super Tenere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:39 PM   #272
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRRambler View Post
Hey Jeff,
glad to hear the leg is doing okay. We got turned around on 131 heading south the other day and had to go back to Oaxaca (not a bad thing). I rode down 175 yesterday and it was just great. There were hundreds of spots that had been cleared of landslides.

I'm about 10 days behind you, planning on being in Chetumal Sept 28th

D
Thanks Dave, to bad about not getting through, but like you said sometimes it's a good thing.
Hope to meet sometime and ride safe.

Jeff
Old 09-18-2013, 06:42 PM   #273
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Day 78

Here's a picture of Gringo Dave's in front of 2 of his new Bungalow’s on the water, and currently almost in the water because of all the rain.

The Border crossing at Chetumal into Belize is a breeze, on the Mexican side everything is close together. Small building on the right and get your exit stamp (make sure you save your BBVA Bank payment paper that you did get when you paid for your entry stamp or they will charge you again, stupid I know). Then off to the left and get your VIN checked and get a receipt that you will get your import money back, we ask when and they say Manjana, or maybe never, we will see.
At the Belize side again everything is close together, if you don't want to backtrack first go to the shack on the right and pay the $4 to get your fumigation paper, then to the left there is a parking lot in front of the customs office and have them stamp your passport, just behind the customs guy is the import or declaration desk where the guy will stamp your passport for a temporary entry permit for your bike.
Head back to your bike and go through the checkpoint and then towards the big white building to get your insurance for $14.50 that is good for 1 week, now your set and you can enjoy the great roads of Belize (not).

Belize and the Caribbean sea.

Tomorrow we booked a tour of the Mayan temple Lamanai (Submerged Crocodile) dating back to 1500B.C and is still occupied today, should be interesting.

Jeff
Old 09-18-2013, 09:38 PM   #274
HeadShrinker
Lost for a Reason

Oddometer: 1,400
Jeff, I've been following along daily, living variously through your posts! Keep it coming!
HeadShrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 06:51 AM   #275
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Tenere View Post
Tomorrow we booked a tour of the Mayan temple Lamanai (Submerged Crocodile) dating back to 1500B.C and is still occupied today, should be interesting.

Jeff
Lamanai is awesome, but you could have ridden your bikes there, no need to book a tour.

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:45 AM   #276
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadShrinker View Post
Jeff, I've been following along daily, living variously through your posts! Keep it coming!
Thanks JJ, have your REZ sticker on the back and hope it will help your good cause.

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animo View Post
Lamanai is awesome, but you could have ridden your bikes there, no need to book a tour.
Hay Animo, thanks for the info, we could have but the tour included a boat ride that sounded really cool and it was.

Jeff
Old 09-20-2013, 06:49 AM   #277
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Day 79

The trip today to Lamanai was super, we were picked up with the bus at the Hotel and headed down to the river where we speed boated for 1.5 hr to get to the site, once there treated to a really good lunch, then the guided tour of the site, and back again, all of this for $100 Belize or $50 US, well worth it for a whole days worth of entertainment and food.

Made this video on the river: http://youtu.be/0vwCht7VKuc

The river is the New River and locally known as the River of Many Faces. The last none Lamanai occupants of the site have been driven away by the government because it has been declared a archeological site of importance and thus no squatters are allowed. While we were there the howling Monkeys started acting up and man can they make a lot of noise, really cool to hear. Decided to climb the highest tower since I have come this far it would be a shame not to, and it was a great view from the top.

The Panther Maya temple.

The view from the top.

Tomorrow off to San Ignasio and see Cahal Pech (Place of the Ticks).

Jeff
Old 09-21-2013, 07:40 AM   #278
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Day 80

Made it to San Ignasio and had a bit of a down poor on the way there so we did not go see Cahal Pech as planned but maybe tomorrow if we can't cross the border to Guatemala because of it being the Belize Independence Day.

Belize has everything in English including all the signage, this is great for me with my very limited Spanish, I find the people are super friendly here, the bus driver said he lived in many places and did come back because Belize is The Land of the Free and the easy life style was the way to go even if the roads were crappy and all, I can see a lot in what he means by the way people are acting and he has a valid point. Walking the streets here you see a huge mix of different people including a large group of Mennonites that are respected for there agricultural knowledge and there word being there bond, everyone seems to be very content, at least as far as I could see on the surface.

Tonight party time in San Ignasio.

Jeff
Old 09-22-2013, 07:30 AM   #279
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Day 81

Had a great time last night and watched the fireworks for Belize Independence Day.
In Belize I have fond the main roads to be fairly good in general, it's the secondary and towns roads that are in bad shape, the other thing that you have to watch out for is the way they like to drive on these roads, just be more aware that those cars on the left or right will for no reason just go ahead and they will cut you off by getting on the road right in front of you, and they like to pass in the dead-mans curves, in Mexico they do this too but with some more constraint as to where, in Belize it don't matter.

Today it only did take about 1.5 hr to go through this very easy border crossing into Guatemala, these crossings again have everything very close together on both sides, no running around and no handlers needed because the Guatemala customs people all speak English.
Had to pay $37.50 ($18.75US) to exit Belize and then $20 ($2.66US) for the entry and $160 ($21.33US) for the bike into Guatemala, don't go to the fumigation guy because nobody asks for this peace of paper, as we fond this out after we had done it of course.

Made it to Rio Dulce and staying at the Backpackers Hotel for $150 ($20US) that donates the money to help raise abandoned children.

The view from Hotel.

Will stay an extra day and go see some of the sites in this area, and take some cool pictures I hope.

Jeff
Old 09-22-2013, 07:34 AM   #280
quattroman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Very nice. Enjoying this trip through you.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamchat
...it's not how long you last that counts, but how much 'living' you manage to cram into life before the inevitable.
quattroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:06 PM   #281
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattroman View Post
Very nice. Enjoying this trip through you.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 4
Thanks quattroman for coming along.

Jeff
Old 09-22-2013, 06:07 PM   #282
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Day 82

Stayed in Rio Dulce today and did take a rest day, after looking on the internet for all the thing to go see and do and then reading the reviews about them I could not make a decision on which one, sometimes it's better not to read the reviews because for some it was great and then another would say it sucked, go figure. Walked the market and did meet David from South Africa that is sailing around the world, had a beer and a great conversation with him about sailing and all the countries he has visited on his 5 year tour, you never know who you will meet or encounter in the weirdest places.

Rio Dulce from the longest/tallest bridge in Guatemala.

Hotel Backpackers from the bridge.

Tomorrow to Honduras wish us luck.

Jeff
Old 09-23-2013, 05:10 AM   #283
Kedgi
Banned

Oddometer: 1,388
Thumb Awesome

Jeff

Awesome pictures! I could hang out at that hostal on the water for a long while. I wish I was down there.

Kedgi
Kedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:52 PM   #284
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedgi View Post
Jeff

Awesome pictures! I could hang out at that hostal on the water for a long while. I wish I was down there.

Kedgi
Thanks Kedgi, the hostal is a really cool place to hang out, lots of backpackers and ex pats coming to the restaurant, had some great conversations and tasty food. You can take the boat from the hostal to Livingston through what they call here the Guatemala Grand Canyon.
Maybe a good place to go to next time?

Jeff
Old 09-23-2013, 07:54 PM   #285
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Day 83

Made it through this very simple border crossing from Guatemala to Honduras in less then 1hr and currently at Hotel Casablanca in El Progreso, Honduras, sitting at the bar “Here's looking at you, kid” (Humphrey Bogart) and “Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine”: love it.

Yesterday we were looking to find some info on the Gasolinera La Bendiction/Corinto crossing and Wei fond this great report done by Camelia and the following description of the crossing with some great pictures at this link: Caesar's Process:

From Wei the following: A few deviations from Caesar's Process:
1. To clarify step 1, the customs officer took our Guatemalan temporary import form and the windshield sticker. He stamps it to cancel and shows it to you. No receipt is necessary or given.
2. We went to Aduana (building in the back right) first before Immigration (front left). This is what the guard at the border suggested.
3. We did not have to do steps 9-11 and get 3 copies of the new issued Honduran Temp Vehicle Import or the stamp in our passport showing the vehicle import.
4. No fumigation for motorcycle (step 14)
5. For step 16, didn't check out documents. The guard was busier asking about our trip but would probably usually check.
6. We missed out on the delicious seafood soup in Omoa.

Honduras Coast looking at Peurto Cortes in the distance.

Jeff

Super Tenere screwed with this post 09-23-2013 at 07:59 PM