ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by artbybernadette View Post
Ewww!

Sounds like fun even with the bugs.
The bugs suck!

Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just God when he's drunk.
Tom Waits
ride4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:11 AM   #122
CarefulRider
n00b

Oddometer: 8
News & views from home.

We're always glad to read about your journey, & meet your friends & acquaintances through your posts.

The day after you left on your vacation, I had to ride a quick 400-mile-day to & fro New York City to attend a funeral. The roads in the City are so bumpy that I found the rear wheel literally flying off the road & into the air while riding with the cars & traffic at a mere 30 mph. Now I know; when the stock market is down, it's suspension & brake repair that keeps New York City's economy going!

Hope you're enjoying your children. They grow up quickly. I dislike that, because it tells me that I'm growing up too, & I have fewer riding years left. But that's why you are riding now, & pursuing the pleasures that accrue.

We've had the usual cold mornings & warm days here. So it'll be cool in these parts, when you return. Till then, your colleagues inquire after your welfare, & wish you well. Ashoke.

Old 09-21-2013, 05:10 PM   #123
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Sorry I left this thread die once I reached FL. Got here and had a bad cough and an infected leg from some stitches that weren't cared from well enough somewhere along the way here. So when I pulled into my hotel in Zephyrhills Tuesday the first thing I did was head over to the walk-in clinic next door (yes, there are walk-in clinics and pharmacies on every corner down here). Got a shot of penicillin for the leg and antibiotics for the cough/sore throat. Turns out it was strep so I'm glad I caught it so quickly or I'd have been a mess all week. As is I didn't see much or do much during the week, just too tired and not feeling very good at all. Also wanted to let the leg heal and to be honest the heat and the damn love bugs made the thought of taking joy rides sound unbearable. So I saw the kids after they got out of school for dinner, a swim, and some nice hotel time. They stayed with me at the motel from Thursday night until now and will go home Sunday morning. I learned nothing about Florida other than it really wasn't built with bikes in mind (I knew that but wanted to make sure).

Finally today we got to the beach. Why else would you come here?

Pics...

Tanner, Ride and Noah...

Shell searching...

swimming...

chillin...

Birds gone crazy with a school of feeder fish rolling in...

I will try to make the trip home more interesting for the report. This trip was mainly to come visit my kids and scope out FL for future potential. I haven't seen the boys since July 11th so it was great to have time together. Not sure I can say anything positive for Florida other than it'd be really hard to blow a corner here. The one morning I did go for a ride before the bugs came out I was on a back road that I rode about 15 miles. After a few miles I looked at the speedo and wondered if I'd gone 2 miles or 20. Perfectly straight with no intersections, everyone going the same speed, all the trees along the side were identical. I could have shot a 1 minute vid and looped it for an hour and it would have been the same as if I'd ridden that road for an hour. Strange. How do you keep track of time or remember where you turned off round here???? Would have been cool if a gator had stopped mid lane and made me swerve or sumptin.

Tom Waits

ride4321 screwed with this post 09-21-2013 at 05:18 PM
Old 09-23-2013, 01:13 PM   #124
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Dead Tiger in Greenville SC

Bike won't start. Died in Rosman NC where I'm waiting on a tow to Powersports in Greenville SC. Sucks.
6072228724 if you are close to the dealer and have a spare couch or motel recommendation. No wifi where I'm at

Tom Waits
Old 09-23-2013, 06:42 PM   #125
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Soooooo...

I'm not complaining here, this is a fun trip, sort of. I did get to spend 5 days with my kids and ride some great roads on the way down south after all. I was just getting into the good stuff today and things were looking great as I headed towards the BRP. But lets rewind to yesterday first.
Got on the road around 10am and it was surprisingly cool and bug free. I don't think it got higher than the low 80's in FL and GA was actually cool for the later part of the day. Had to stop in southern GA to put on the rain gear. This place seemed appropriate. Who doesn't think they should be at a strip joint in GA on a Sunday at noon...

don't know where they found them but this joint hires 70's strippers...

I didn't go in

Took the interstate all the way past Macon GA before hitting secondary roads. When I did turn off it was the perfect road.

Monticello, GA

Cool town but all the food joints were closed being Sunday and all. Ended up eating peanuts and crackers at a way too expensive state park called Hard Labor SP. $30 a nite...that's fancy camping there. Sorry no pics.

This morning got off to a swell start.
Slow going on the back roads so after an hour and 30 miles I hit the interstate and headed to SC so I could tag that state. Somehow it's alluded me so far. Not today, I rode in there like a banshee. 85 on the interstate is just keeping up with traffic but I forgot to adjust when turning on to Rt. 11 in SC. Officer Oppie cut me a little slack but didn't let me go scott free. 20 over (75 in a 55) and he wrote me for 64 so I asked if he minded me taking his pic since I was paying and everything...

About 45 minutes earlier I'd filled the tank and put in exactly $13.13. I'm not superstitious but did think about adding a few more drops to change the number but didn't bother. What could go wrong I think I noticed the time being 11:11 also.

Since I was now behaving and driving the speed limit I was able to see things I might have otherwise missed. Nothing strange here...

I like things like this but today it had a funny ( not in a funny haha way) feel to it.

So I'm hitting my first really good Smoky twisty roads heading to the BRP. Figured since I was going to watch my speed I might as well putt along on the parkway. I almost got there too dammit. I was only 5 miles from it when I pulled over to check the map. Turned the bike off and when I was ready to go...nothing. Clutch switch? It's gone bad before but no dice. Cleaned the kickstand switch as well, no dice. Fuses look good and battery terminals were tight. Even tried a jump. Nothing. So I pushed the bike back into town, mostly downhill and sat from 1:00 until 5:30 or so waiting for a tow to the nearest dealer 50+ miles away. Here's my wonderful hangout this afternoon....

Waiting for this guy....

Got to my room down the street from the dealer at 8pm. Bought cheap beer and even cheaper food...

Didn't even bother with condiments for the crappy ham sammich. It's deserving of the day and Busch beer is probably overkill for a day like this. I'm thinking MD 20/20 would have been more appropriate.

Soooo, let's recap...
Things were great all the way up until last Tuesday when I arrived in FL with an infected leg and strep throat. I took care of that but didn't do much while healing other than see my kids but my leg didn't fall off and I didn't get full blown strep...that's a pretty good deal I think. Yesterday was cool, mostly. Who knows what tomorrow may bring (there's a song about that). I'm way over budget already and have no idea what tomorrows damages will be but I'm hoping it's just a bad connection somewhere that the Triumph guru will spot immediately. If that's the case I'll be on the road by noon and home Weds nite barring full blown arrest for some unknown reason or riding off the edge of a cliff (stranger things have happened). I'm seeing interstate in my future and I'm not very happy about that. This is the best part of the ride. I might be looking for tent space tomorrow somewhere along the way or if things go bad with the dealer somewhere in Greenville.

Oh, on the plus side of things...the gas station I hung out at for 5 hours today gave me a free coffee.

Tom Waits

ride4321 screwed with this post 09-23-2013 at 07:13 PM
Old 09-24-2013, 09:21 AM   #126
artbybernadette
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
On the road again!

Just heard from Jim - he is on the move again. Great news, and let's hope for more fortunate luck the rest of his trip!
Old 09-24-2013, 11:59 AM   #127
iloco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
I haven't heard from him. He may want to stay at my place tonight. Hope he don't have any more bike problems.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:30 PM   #128
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloco View Post
I haven't heard from him. He may want to stay at my place tonight. Hope he don't have any more bike problems.
PM left. I'm in VA already and going to try to get close to PA today. Bike is fixed and starting fine now.

Tom Waits
Old 09-24-2013, 10:57 PM   #129
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

A new mileage record (for me). 760 miles, Greenville SC to Binghamton, NY!!!
Got the bike from the dealer just after 11:00 and decided to make up for lost miles yesterday and hit the slab. Didn't know if I'd make it home or not but wanted to get to the PA border at least. Made it home at 12:30am. 13 hours in all.
Starter switch was the culprit with the bike issues yesterday.
Time to go lay down.

Tom Waits
Old 09-25-2013, 07:51 AM   #130
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Only 2 pics taken yesterday.
One of this guy outside the hotel in the morning...

Tiger/Tiger at coffee stop at the Natural Bridge exit in VA...

Tom Waits