Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2013, 07:32 PM   #466
dickosaurus
Seasoned Noob

Oddometer: 695
Really enjoyed your ride report guys. Did it in '08 and you make me want to go do it again. Thanks for posting.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:10 AM   #467
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,712
Hrmmm.....

:P

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203
vintagespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:53 PM   #468
FBR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
Great RR!!! Thanks for the follow up on gear as well.
I plan to do the TAT next June and July. It is looking like I will be doing a lot of it myself, and on a F650gs. Can you tell me some areas I should skip because of time constrictions, or safety issues from riding alone?
I plan on lots of sight seeing as well, but I only have 30 days to ride, including riding back to WI after reaching Oregon. I will be starting in Arkansas.
Thanks!
94 Ducati M900
1974 dt 125
FBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:43 AM   #469
esp41
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagespeed View Post
Hrmmm.....

:P

Hey, we had nothing to do with those bullet holes......
1993 Harley Heritage Classic
Tomos ST
esp41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:09 AM   #470
esp41
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBR View Post
I plan to do the TAT next June and July. It is looking like I will be doing a lot of it myself, and on a F650gs. Can you tell me some areas I should skip because of time constrictions, or safety issues from riding alone?
I plan on lots of sight seeing as well, but I only have 30 days to ride, including riding back to WI after reaching Oregon. I will be starting in Arkansas.
Thanks!

If you ride well, getting from Arkansas to Port Orford and back is doable in 30 days. Weather, Mechanicals, Crashes, Sightseeing and Health will affect your time table. You really have to plan on the fly.

If you are alone- get a SPOT tracker. If you are a decent off road trail rider, you can do the whole thing without skipping sections. I can tell you that Utah and Nevada are the most challenging overall. They are also the most desolate. Finding help there can be a challenge. CO can be "fun" if the weather is against you. Without really knowing you skill level and what bike you are on, it is hard to judge from my keyboard what sections you might want to skip. Just play it loose. Start your day on the trail, when you get tired- bail out to tarmac. Needles to say, have some good maps and a GPS with you!
Tomos ST
Old 09-14-2013, 06:40 PM   #471
Ilbikes
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Esp, my buddy Lloyd and I left Sunday morning from Iron Horse in Stecoah, NC for 2.5 days West and 2.5 days return East. We added the Santaheela pass (dirt 24 miles) over the Snowbird mtns 5,600' above sea level to the beginning and end of the TAT test. This was a shake down for next year for our gear, selection of bikes, and our gear load. While we never intended to use the camping gear, it was important for us to carry it since we plan to take it next year.

These bikes were bought new in March of this year for this purpose, mine the DR and his the XR. We're very happy with the bikes and tire choice - Shinko 244's. We did over 1,200 miles and these barely show wear. The packing and top-loaded gear must change. We wrestled with the high center of gravity on every patch of thick gravel, mud, and especially that Mississippi sand we hit somewhere near the 75 miles mark (west of Corinth).

Witt Road was my personal favorite, The Mt. Zion Church Park a close 2nd, but the Mississippi sand bed was my least favorite. I know you guys had a tough time in the sand as well - Kirkster losing a clutch and bruising some ribs. What is the best method? We tried to hit it fast, but the steering got real ugly, real quick. We finally took a slow, feet down, and hammered the throttle and plowed our way through (we never felt that we ever found the bottom nor would get on top of it - simply digging our way through while wrestling the weight of the bikes and all that darn gear. Next year there will be Wolfman saddlebags down low, the Rotopax also mounted to the side, and 1 simple drybag max at seat level.

We both enjoyed our choices of bikes. These have plenty of power and speed for us older guys. We enjoyed your trip report emensley and greatly appreciate your gear recap at the end. We learned that having communication between the bikes is really needed. We did not have it on this trip since we both have built-in systems on our highway bikes. The charts and directions need 4 eyes to follow. Naviation West and East was a chore. We both felt like we spent time/energy navigating and missed the scenery. Neither of us had an enduro computer and we had to add the "next" turn milage to the odometer. Between adding, road name errors (or changes, not sure which) and mileage discrepancies, we were busy doing that versus enjoying the journey. On the way back, we took turns keying-in the GPS cordinates so we could back-track our steps. While a pain, we actually enjoyed more of the trip and interesting landscape because we could rely on the GPS to guide us. Next year we will have the GPS files loaded along with the roll charts we've purchased.

Thanks again for getting us motivated!

Best Regards, Gordon

Ilbikes screwed with this post 09-14-2013 at 06:54 PM
Ilbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:30 PM   #472
esp41
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilbikes View Post
[FONT=Arial][COLOR=white]Witt Road was my personal favorite, The Mt. Zion Church Park a close 2nd, but the Mississippi sand bed was my least favorite. I know you guys had a tough time in the sand as well - Kirkster losing a clutch and bruising some ribs. What is the best method? We tried to hit it fast, but the steering got real ugly, real quick. We finally took a slow, feet down, and hammered the throttle and plowed our way through (we never felt that we ever found the bottom nor would get on top of it - simply digging our way through while wrestling the weight of the bikes and all that darn gear. Next year there will be Wolfman saddlebags down low, the Rotopax also mounted to the side, and 1 simple drybag max at seat level.
Sand is never easy for a loaded down bike. Try packing your heavy stuff down low and the lighter stuff up top. If you try to duck walk through sand too long, you will likely burn up your clutch. The bikes back tire really digs into the sand with all your weight on the seat. If you try to steer with the handlebars, the wheel (once slightly sideways) will dig into the sand.

Try standing on the pegs and move your weight back as far back as possible. Push your top bag back with your butt. Steer the bike by shifting your weight on the pegs. You will be using a lot of throttle to keep it going. The faster you can control it, the higher in the sand you will ride. It takes some practice to get this right, and even then, sand it not easy. Sharp/Hard turns are not possible, and the bike likes to float around, so you cannot pick a precise line. (At least I could not at my current skill level)

Your choices of bike will be fine on the TAT, just make sure you have enough gas for 250 miles once you get west of Moab.
Tomos ST
Old 09-14-2013, 08:56 PM   #473
akaDigger
Amateur Adventurer

Oddometer: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBR View Post
Thanks!
I too figure on doing just that. Looking at June also. Need to hit OK before 100F days and Colorado between when the passes are clear of snow and the monsoon season. Do some extra "fun days" riding in southern CO. I hope to do the front end of the TAT yet this fall. Mid October.

I have a bigger 800XC but plan to take the 650KLR.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:51 AM   #474
BAKERMAN
The Real BAKERMAN

Oddometer: 197
Just finished it myself and would be happy to do it again sometime.

Great pictures

Bakes

www.theadventurebaker.com
Old 09-15-2013, 12:27 PM   #475
Tompound
M.M.S. Tommy

Oddometer: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by esp41 View Post
Sand is never easy for a loaded down bike. Try packing your heavy stuff down low and the lighter stuff up top. If you try to duck walk through sand too long, you will likely burn up your clutch. The bikes back tire really digs into the sand with all your weight on the seat. If you try to steer with the handlebars, the wheel (once slightly sideways) will dig into the sand.

Try standing on the pegs and move your weight back as far back as possible. Push your top bag back with your butt. Steer the bike by shifting your weight on the pegs. You will be using a lot of throttle to keep it going. The faster you can control it, the higher in the sand you will ride. It takes some practice to get this right, and even then, sand it not easy. Sharp/Hard turns are not possible, and the bike likes to float around, so you cannot pick a precise line. (At least I could not at my current skill level)

Your choices of bike will be fine on the TAT, just make sure you have enough gas for 250 miles once you get west of Moab.

I grew up riding sand, it is one of my favorite things to ride, all the above is correct with one added note, do not use your brakes, the sand will do the job for them, throttle control, is key, as is momentum, going fast is easier for me, but just keep the gas on
, and lett the bike float around under you.
In the sand, throttle is your friend, a paddle tire don't hurt either!
TET 2012 and then some
TWVT 2012
Tompound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 03:00 PM   #476
docwyte
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 982
subscribed so I can find it later at home
Old 09-15-2013, 05:51 PM   #477
OHjim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by docwyte View Post
subscribed so I can find it later at home
\
You know you don't have to post just to subscribe??? Look under Thread Tools. Then you can find stuff at home to your hearts content.
2004 ST1300 - sold
2005 V-Strom 650 - sold
OHjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:57 PM   #478
dedecaster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Fantastic RR.......Thanks for sharing
dedecaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:30 AM   #479
FBR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggerled View Post
I too figure on doing just that. Looking at June also. Need to hit OK before 100F days and Colorado between when the passes are clear of snow and the monsoon season. Do some extra "fun days" riding in southern CO. I hope to do the front end of the TAT yet this fall. Mid October.

I have a bigger 800XC but plan to take the 650KLR.

I decided I didn't want to risk it with a heavy bike, so I picked up a new drz 400 for the trip. Feeling much more confident about it now.
Hope to see ya on the trail!
94 Ducati M900
1974 dt 125
FBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:14 AM   #480
Kirkster OP
Parts Murderer

Oddometer: 295
Work sucks...

Now we need to start planning for next year...

I feel some of the TET coming on...
07 WR 450F
Kirkster is offline   Reply With Quote