Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2013, 05:40 PM   #31
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,685
JHEEEZZE THATS A BIG BUFFALO SUMBITCHIN BISON,Im amazed more people dont get offed with those monsters strolling around.

One of those suckers has a bad hair day or hangnail it could stomp 20 tourists from Poughkeepsie before they knew what happened.

Keep your wits about you and some more food shots would be fine,Im starving.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:27 PM   #32
Bigger Al OP
Still a stupid tire guy

Oddometer: 7,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post

Keep your wits about you and some more food shots would be fine,Im starving.
I shoulda taken a pic of the pork tenderloin that I BBQ'd for dinner tonight.

I'm gonna do a tri-tip tomorrow night to take up to Reno for the weekend. You'll be well fed.

Steve McQueen

Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:59 AM   #33
Treadless
used 2 b aventuring

Oddometer: 5,211
A little help for when you decide it's time for a new avi. Or finish this report.

Finish this sentence... I'm so happy I could ____.

Treadless is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:08 PM   #34
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treadless View Post
A little help for when you decide it's time for a new avi. Or finish this report.

Finish this sentence... I'm so happy I could SHIT.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:29 PM   #35
Bigger Al OP
Still a stupid tire guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treadless View Post

Finish this sentence... I'm so happy I could ____.

You're getting kinda fussy in your old age, aren'tcha?

The looks come from watching the very nice ladies try desparately to lift their little fat legs over the seat, dragging their shoes across the upholstery, and tipping the bike over to the right. It's a good thing I'm as big as I am or else one of them woulda worn the damned thing like a hat.

I'll work on this report this weekend. Work (sucks) has been busy, and the Airhead had a nice little mechanical issue on the way home one night last week.

Steve McQueen

Old 09-22-2013, 07:28 PM   #36
Bigger Al OP
Still a stupid tire guy

We left YNP on a nice, partly-cloudy morning. Our destination for the day was somewhere on the Eastern side of Beartooth Pass. We were just playing things by ear at this point.

Sitting in more construction:

The ride through Lamarr Valley was one of the most beautiful that we've ever been on. The plan originally was to be in the valley one of the mornings that we were in YNP, so that we could have a chance to see wolves. There are two or three packs that have been frequenting Lamarr, and there's a den above the valley to the South. The rub was that we'd have had to be up before dawn, in the rain, and ridden the 45 miles through road work to get there. Vacations are supposed to be fun, and that didn't wound like much fun to me at all.

The road gained elevation as we headed into Cooke City, and the clouds started tho thicken up as well.

The rain started to fall on a set of steep switchbacks, so we pulled over and geared up.
The temps were falling quickly, and at one point I thought that we might get some snow, or at least a little hail. There was yet another construction zone at the top of the switchbacks, about 2 miles West of Beartooth Lake. Traffic stopped and a guy in a pickup came down the line with a big grin on his face, telling all of the motorcyclists in the queue that it was going to be about a 30 minute wait, and that the rain was heavy at times. A couple from Quebec was in front of us, riding a Harley. They were in jeans, sweatshirts, and athletic shoes. The spent the delay scrambling to get what rain gear they had on and situated. The woman was not amused at all at what was going on, and she was giving the guy some nasty looks.
There were some close lightning strikes, too, which caused more than one concerned comment from other riders.

The delay wasn't bad at all, and the worst part afterwards was being in a Conga line of slow traffic as we approached the pass. Cars ahead of us pulled away despite the rains, but there was one guy from Kansas in a full-sized American car who was bound and determined not to ever once even come within 10 MPH of the 25 MPH speed limit. I'm also guessing that being from Kansas, he'd never seen a curvy road before, and was having a tough time adapting to his steering wheel going more than 15 degrees to either side of center. He was going to take it nice and slow, by God, and he was having none of the dozens of turnouts conveniently placed by the nice engineers. At one point, I think his brake lights were on for a full 5 minutes.

Okay, I've gotta be honest here: everyone that we met along the way told us that going over Beartooth Pass was an absolute "must-do", and that it was the single greatest motorcycle road in North America. Our expectations were high, and I knew that the traffic would dampen things a bit, but both Holly and I were kind of blase about the road. Sure, the views were incredible in some sections, and on a clear day the twisties might have proven to be more fun, but on this day it was just work to get over the pass. Maybe we'll have to go back and give it another go, just to be sure.

By the time we got to Red Lodge, MT, we'd been on the road for about 4 hours, and it was time to stop, stretch, and eat. Red Lodge is a nice little tourist town that has a main street full of businesses that cater to the traveling hordes, of which we were a part. There were a ton of bikes in town, most of which were Harleys, and as a result, mot of the eateries were packed. We spotted a place called Bogart's, and decided that was the place to go. Bogart's offers up pizza and Mexican, and to this day I do not know what possessed us to order Mexican food so far away from Mexico, but that's what we did. It was beautifully presented, freshly prepared, and simply awful. We in California are spoiled when it comes to food from South of the Border. I'm guessing that the pizza is better, so if you ever find yourself in Red Lodge, MT, and decide to eat at Bogart's, try that.

Our server was a very nice young lady, and we chatted her up about routes out of town to Cody, which was the next major town. She knew al about Cody, but when asked about potential places to stop for the night South of there, she had no idea. She'd never been South of Cody.

We rode out of Red Lodge, headed to........................we didn't really know.

Steve McQueen

Old 09-22-2013, 08:37 PM   #37
Mcgee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
I’ve ridden these areas quite a bit and am enjoying the scenery again. Looks like you two are having a great trip! Keep up the good work and looking forward to more.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:23 AM   #38
Foot dragger
singletracker

The pic of Holly grinning like crazy in her helmet is priceless,happy girl!

You guys got the short end of the stick on Beartooth,I rode it with no traffic,decent weather only drizzling on top,it was fun and scenic.

Now coming back from the Mile last weekend in dark/windy/foggy/rainy with an endless pack of scared cage drivers on a twisty road with leaves blowing,that was sketchy.

More food and rainy cold weather shots please!

(I always,always, pass any and all cars while they are stopped for roadwork,Ive given up caring about their tender feelings,left/right it doesnt matter,they exist to be passed might as well do it then)
Old 10-10-2013, 08:38 AM   #39
Foot dragger
singletracker

Looooooooooong olllld tiiime beeeeetweeen installatiooons.

People are hanging on this report,try to move along thanks
Old 10-11-2013, 09:49 PM   #40
Bigger Al OP
Still a stupid tire guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Looooooooooong olllld tiiime beeeeetweeen installatiooons.

People are hanging on this report,try to move along thanks
Sorry, some of us are all caught up in that thing called work. I'll try to put the final nail in the coffin this weekend.

Steve McQueen

Old 10-12-2013, 01:54 AM   #41
RedDogAlberta
High Plains Drifter

Oddometer: 5,370
Great report! Nice shots. I enjoy seeing places I've been so many times. Thousands of us no doubt have the very same photos.
I can be to Glacier in about 5 hours.
Old 10-12-2013, 03:33 AM   #42
ghte
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Hey Bigger Al; I think you have sold yourself a little short mate. I really loved your report. keep it up
ghte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 04:27 AM   #43
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghte View Post
Hey Bigger Al; I think you have sold yourself a little short mate. I really loved your report. keep it up
He gets into his cups a bit,forgets a while but he'll get back to it.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:37 AM   #44
805gregg
Just Stroming along

Oddometer: 1,507
Thanks for the review of the Exped Pad as I'm off to REI this morning for their used gear sale, maybe they will have one
805gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 07:26 PM   #45
Bigger Al OP
Still a stupid tire guy

Thanks to those who've stuck with this thing. My job beats the hell outta me, which makes sitting in front of a keyboard in the evenings a tough deal. I'm not very creative at that point.

We stopped in Cody, WY for gas and a stretch, and decided that Thermopolis, WY would make a good destination for the night.

See the rain off to the right? We did too. The roads were soaked in spots, and the showers were pounding the bluffs hard enough to throw up dust clouds. It was gorgeous! We timed things luckily enough to get in between cells, and ended up dodging drops for about 60 miles.

For most of the trip, I rode along in front, my wife a couple hundred yards behind, but occasionally she'd get bored and wick up the speed. This was one of those "What the........." moments when she caught me off guard. I tried to check the mirrors periodically to make sure that she was still back there, and when I didn't see the headlight, I kinda panicked. Seeing her on the other side was a surprise.

We got the last room at the Super 8 in Thermopolis, which seems like a neat place to stop for a day or two. There's some good touristy stuff there, but we were just passing through.
The only pic we got was of a bird's nest outside of our window.

Our bikes ran perfectly for the entire trip. We had zero issues, which is nice when so far from home. The morning in Thermopolis seemed to me a good time to give them a washing and lube the chains. Good thing I did, as I found the master link clip missing from Holly's chain. Considering that we'd been running in the 70's and 80's for days, things could have been disastrous, but this thing held together. I have no idea how long it went like that. Being an anal-retentive middle-aged guy, I carry a tool kit with spares that would allow roadside fixes for damned near anything. I safety wired the link, lubed the chains, and we blew outta town.

Our planned destination for the day was Steamboat Springs, CO, via Rawlins, WY and Craig, CO. It looked like a whole lotta empty space for the ride, and that's exactly what it was. The first 25 miles were pretty, weaving through a canyon along the Bighorn River and passing Boysen Reservoir.

The rest of the ride to Rawlins was in some bleak territory. The winds came up about 20 miles South of Riverton, and it was a really tough trip for about an hour. At one point we were getting a right quartering crosswind that was howling along at 25-30 MPH. There was a section of highway that went up and over a bluff, up a steep section, and the winds really played hell once on top. That kind of stuff can wear you out in a big hurry. We were having trouble holding lane position, and any attempt to move to the RH side of the lane was futile. Good fun!!

We stopped at a rest area at Sweetwater Station, WY and snapped a pic of the flags snapping in the breeze.

We hadn't eaten breakfast, so we found a nice grassy area on the lee side of the building for lunch.

The rest of the ride in Wyoming was long, tedious, open country. South of Rawlins is oil field country, and wells were everywhere. The winds died down a bit once we left that town, and that was a big relief.

Obligatory state line crossing shot:

Indeed, Colorado proved to be colorful. This was a great spot for a panorama. I was amazed by the fact that the topography changed immediately once we crossed the state line, going from tans and grays in Wyoming to Greens and blues in Colorado.

Okay, I'll admit right up front that I'm occasionally a dimwitted, sophomoric, never-developed-past-age-15 kinda guy. For proof I give you this, from Craig, CO:

It still makes me snicker.

Truth be told, these stations were always clean, well-stocked, and had some decent lunch food.

Another bit of evidence that I am a dumbass of the highest order; we were headed to Steamboat Springs, a touristy Mecca, in the middle of Summer, on a Friday evening, with no reservations or any idea where we were going to stay the night.

We rode into town at about 6:30 and began the hunt. There was nothing. Nada. Zilch. No big surprise.

Holly waved me over to the side of the road and mentioned that she had seen a sign at the end of town for Steamboat Lake State Park, and that there was a tent symbol that meant that they had camping available. With no other choice, we rode off, and up, towards the park. The country outside of Steamboat is incredibly beautiful, with green, rolling grasses, high mountain peaks, and some of the nicest ranches I've ever seen. It's no wonder that the Hollywood glitterati flock to this place year-round.
The sun was going down, it was getting cold, and we were climbing above 8,000 feet to find that.....................all of the campgrounds were full.
I'd worked up a pretty good lather by this point. It'd been a very long day, fatigue was heavy, and it was time to grab some dinner. We backtracked to Steamboat, and I decided to work back west to Craig to try our luck there. It's 45 miles between the two, and I thought that I'd seen another state park sign along the way. Luckily, I was right.

We ended up setting up at Yampa River SP, which was actually a pretty nice place. Dinner by Mountain House, and off to bed.

Steve McQueen