User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2013, 02:02 PM   #421
simonpig OP
packin' heat

Oddometer: 947
This one is squierrly.

TAT 2011 - Part 7: September 10--11 (Nevada)

simonpig screwed with this post 10-01-2013 at 12:14 PM
simonpig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:41 PM   #422
simonpig OP
packin' heat

I miss Nevada

TAT 2011 - Part 8: September 11 (Nevada)

simonpig screwed with this post 10-01-2013 at 07:12 AM
Old 09-18-2013, 10:12 PM   #423
zekester63
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonpig View Post
Go for it.

Read a bit of your Roxy Report and curious how it was going from a KX250f to the WRX/R?
Well it's been 2 totally different riding styles with the bikes, tight single track to wide open excitement on modest MX tracks from start to finish on the KXF, to more typical (and possibly age appropriate :)) dual sport, double track, forestry road type stuff on Roxy. I love the WRX/R, and my recent trip to NM confirmed that it's an awesome bike for that purpose. When I don't have plans for anything serious, I swap back to the 17" wheels for a bit quieter/smoother ride. They do just fine on dirt/gravel roads too, if need be.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:34 PM   #424
simonpig OP
packin' heat

The KXF is a beast and I've alway been curious to try it. Its so minty fresh, the green. I wish Kawasaki would do their take on the WRR, fuel injected and modern. I would seriously consider it, but I feel like they put all their research and development into motocross.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zekester63 View Post
Well it's been 2 totally different riding styles with the bikes, tight single track to wide open excitement on modest MX tracks from start to finish on the KXF, to more typical (and possibly age appropriate :)) dual sport, double track, forestry road type stuff on Roxy. I love the WRX/R, and my recent trip to NM confirmed that it's an awesome bike for that purpose. When I don't have plans for anything serious, I swap back to the 17" wheels for a bit quieter/smoother ride. They do just fine on dirt/gravel roads too, if need be.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:56 PM   #425
simonpig OP
packin' heat

Part 8 is back online. Got the titling all wrong on it.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:59 PM   #426
simonpig OP
packin' heat

The exciting finale. This one is a barn burner and I think you'll like the edit as it finishes strong.

TAT 2011 - Part 9: September 12–18 (Nevada to Oregon)

simonpig screwed with this post 09-30-2013 at 11:11 PM
Old 09-20-2013, 04:34 PM   #427
simonpig OP
packin' heat

Here's the trailer

simonpig screwed with this post 09-25-2013 at 10:24 AM
Old 09-25-2013, 09:15 AM   #428
ChrisP11
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Great report, videos, and commentary! Thanks

Just wondering how your experience using the GPS was? I have just ordered a Garmin 62s; and hope to learn it so I can use it on long, multi-day trips like this. Any advice on speeding up the learning curve? I have been trying to become more skilled with Google maps, and have recently downloaded Basecamp, but until I get the maps upgrade, haven't used it much.

Thanks
ChrisP11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:20 AM   #429
simonpig OP
packin' heat

My only advice in terms of GPS is to know it like the back of your hand. Use it on trailrides. Use it in the car to get to the local starbucks. Draw a track upload it and go on a day ride. Route it to look for gas while on the track. Then make it tell you how to get back on the track or close enough so you can get back on track. Just do everything you'll be doing while on a long trip.

On a long multi day trip, you'll start to see that there's a few key features you are using.

Most of it is in the GPS file setup of the track and waypoints. The other part is the GPS settings and understanding how it "thinks" when you start to use the routing features—it does seem to have a mind of its own unless you understand how to set it up and even then you need to know your bearing and if it's taking you for a ride.

I have a 78 which is the same generation as your 62s except it has the 4 pin power which is a must for me. I could store all of the TAT tracks on the 78 vs. the 60 I was using and my main reason for upgrading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisP11 View Post
Great report, videos, and commentary! Thanks

Just wondering how your experience using the GPS was? I have just ordered a Garmin 62s; and hope to learn it so I can use it on long, multi-day trips like this. Any advice on speeding up the learning curve? I have been trying to become more skilled with Google maps, and have recently downloaded Basecamp, but until I get the maps upgrade, haven't used it much.

Thanks

simonpig screwed with this post 09-25-2013 at 04:18 PM
Old 09-25-2013, 04:37 PM   #430
zekester63
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonpig View Post
My only advice in terms of GPS is to know it like the back of your hand. Use it on trailrides. Use it in the car to get to the local starbucks. Draw a track upload it and go on a day ride. Route it to look for gas while on the track. Then make it tell you how to get back on the track or close enough so you can get back on track. Just do everything you'll be doing while on a long trip.

On a long multi day trip, you'll start to see that there's a few key features you are using.

Most of it is in the GPS file setup of the track and waypoints. The other part is the GPS settings and understanding how it "thinks" when you start to use the routing features—it does seem to have a mind of its own unless you understand how to set it up and even then you need to know your bearing and if it's taking you for a ride.

I have a 78 which is the same generation as your 62s except it has the 4 pin power which is a must for me. I could store all of the TAT tracks on the 78 vs. the 60 I was using and my main reason for upgrading.
Did you follow tracks or route between waypoints? And did you use City Navigator or something else? Thanks!
Old 09-26-2013, 01:17 PM   #431
simonpig OP
packin' heat

I followed Tracks and used City Navigator. I have Topo 2008 on Basecamp so I could refer to woods roads that don't show up on Navigator when drawing the tracks manually. I don't have the Topo maps loaded on the GPS because they are highly detailed with Topo Lines and cumbersome to use while going fast.

I only program routes on the Liaison tarmac from NY to Jellico.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zekester63 View Post
Did you follow tracks or route between waypoints? And did you use City Navigator or something else? Thanks!

simonpig screwed with this post 09-26-2013 at 02:56 PM
Old 09-26-2013, 02:22 PM   #432
CA_Rage
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Awesome!

Well done man!
Looks like an epic journey.

CA_Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 06:35 PM   #433
waylongway
madmax

Oddometer: 401
AWSOME JOB!

A trip to remember the rest of your days!
Old 12-02-2013, 03:23 PM   #434
Vksf
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Amazing!!!

Thanks especially for the videos. They are bringing me back to my own ride, and making me wish I was still out there!
Vksf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 06:10 PM   #435
simonpig OP
packin' heat

Thanks, I'm glad you guys like the edits. I find myself watching the videos every so often and revisiting the trip and things that were going on at that time.

In terms of POV action camera video, I feel it's really difficult for people to watch for one reason or another, but mostly because they don't ride themselves and don't really connect with whats going on, some of my close friends probably have not seen more than 5 minutes of the edits.

I did try my best to make it universally watchable by cutting in off-bike footage to break up the zen—but often people don't make it far enough in to get to them. Still, I'm pretty happy with how they came together—it was fun and rewarding but took alot of doing.

simonpig screwed with this post 12-03-2013 at 06:44 AM