Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2013, 05:29 PM   #16
securety10 OP
Stuck...

Oddometer: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFMCjohn View Post
Hey securety10,

Really enjoying your ride report ... My wife and I ride (over) loaded KLRs in the west and fall over a bunch ... lots of fun, with the right attitude, which you and dad seem to have ...

Plus, you take much better pics than we do ...

Looking forward to more!

see you around the campfire,
-- SFMCjohn
Thanks. I wasn't sure if anyone was even paying attention, didn't think our ride was interesting enough . Also, really appreciated your input in the other thread in regards to the clutch problem. We're still in Vegas right now and I'm trying to get the ride report caught up before we leave again on Friday!
securety10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:58 PM   #17
securety10 OP
Stuck...

Day 5 & 6 - Backwards TAT Adventure

Our next stop via the TAT was supposed to be Battle Mountain, but due to the mining operations and some sort of human powered cycle convention, or something along those lines, all rooms were booked. Neither one of us were up for camping after our previous days adventure as I needed ice for my knee and ankle and dad was still a bit sore from the crashes and thought a bed sounded good.

Our best option looked to be Winnemucca, which is 74 miles south of McDermitt via Hwy 95. We considered taking 95, but decided the point of this adventure was to ride the TAT as much as possible. So, we followed the route out of town.

The first few miles was a bit sandy and rutted up, but it then became an improved gravel road once we reached Indian Creek. The route took us up a switch back to a pass.

Now before this trip I never really considered myself to be afraid of heights. But I have to say, the shear drop offs next to many of these trails bother this FL boy much more than I expected, especially when there are no trees etc to "catch" you if you go off. Maybe I just don't have enough faith in my riding ability, or lack there of...

Luckily much of this section was fast with excellent roads, which = no crashes :

The TAT headed east over the mountains on the other side of the valley, but we headed south through Paradise Valley to what ultimately becomes 290 which meets up with 95 a bit north of Winnemucca.

Paradise Valley:

The cavity went all the way thru and there was a trail up to it, which probably would have made for some great pictures, but the trail was steep and when it came down to it I was to chicken to ride up it on the bike and I sure as heck wasn't going to hike it.

We arrived fairly early in the day at Winnemucca, so dad went to work trying to figure out what was wrong with his back brake. He ended up swapping master cylinders with mine and it still wasn't working, so after reassembling both bikes he gave up for the day.

We swapped to 16 tooth sprockets as we planned to make a real short day the next day super slabbing it via I-80 to Battle Mountain and staying there as there looked to be a couple rooms opening up.

We loaded up and went to breakfast the next morning and called around to reserve a room, well none opened up. We were lazy and just decided we would spend another night in Winnemucca. Dad spent a good chuck of the day taking another crack at his brake to no avail.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:47 AM   #18
SFMCjohn

Oddometer: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by securety10 View Post
Thanks. I wasn't sure if anyone was even paying attention, didn't think our ride was interesting enough . Also, really appreciated your input in the other thread in regards to the clutch problem. We're still in Vegas right now and I'm trying to get the ride report caught up before we leave again on Friday!
Hey, you've got 5 stars in the Fresh style chooser ... Way to go!

Your photos really are very good ...

We've been riding quite a bit with two KLRs, so you begin to learn how to canabalize the bikes for some problems ... The mix and match clutch plates is a classic example ... made me happy to hear you used that trick to get to Vegas a bit sooner ...

Usually though it's two KLRs and one unbroken shift lever, ha. It still works out well because when we found a welder for Cary's broken shifter, I had my bike there to test fit the welded shifter to make sure we had the angle right ...

Anyway, this RR is also cool because you guys are still out there ...
Have fun ... I'm rootin' for you and dad ...
-- SFMCjohn
IBA#'98onaEX500

SFMCjohn screwed with this post 09-20-2013 at 12:52 AM
SFMCjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 02:08 PM   #19
securety10 OP
Stuck...

Day 7 - Backwards TAT Adventure

The next morning we rode the 53 miles down I-80 to Battle Mountain, refueled and headed south out of town via the TAT. The route runs a long a soft, rutted trail which follows a gas pipeline that supposedly runs to Colorado per the gentleman that we passed as we started the trail.

Decent view of the mountains at least:

I thought the ground outside the trail looked firm and I had seen some dirt bike tracks crossing the trail so I figured I'd see if it was better ridding than the trail itself.

It wasn't. I got caught on that sagebrush and just buried my bike. I ended up having to have dad help me push it out.

Now back on the trail, where I'll be staying.

The trail went 3.5 miles before we turned onto a nice gravel road. Now this is what annoys me about some of these tracks, as I zoomed out on my GPS I noticed the gravel road went directly into town and it would have actually been quicker (and shorter) to just follow it out of town. I just don't see the point of going out of your way just to do a short section with nothing in particular to offer, I'd rather get into the scenic mountain passes quicker.

Off into the mountains we head:

Left or right??

More spectacular views from one of the passes:

Into the valley, those clouds sure aren't looking inviting:

First time we've seen anything that resembles a tree for some time:

Rain and clouds all around us, but we seemed to be dodging it:

We took notice of this sign, which concerned us a bit, but it wasn't raining and as far as we knew hadn't in the last hour. It was raining and very dark off in the distance, but we were only about 50 miles NW of Eureka and were hoping to stay there for the night. We decided to continue on, wrong choice...

The first few miles wasn't bad, but then dad found a slick spot:

It seemed to dry up a bit, until we got to a switchback heading up the pass and everything went to hell. The composition of the road/soil turned to a redish clay slick sticky mess. Towards the top I heard dad start to say something into the intercom as we lost connection. I knew he had gone down. I made it to the top, found a spot to park my bike so I could go help him. As I was getting off the bike I slipped and somehow managed to knock the bike over, which conveniently landed on (and trapped) my bad ankle. I was facing toward the ground and couldn't really turn around without twisting my ankle. So now dad's down and I'm down (and trapped) and we are out of intercom range. I managed to get turned over, but the way my leg is pinned I can't get in a position to lift the bike enough to get my ankle out, hopefully dad isn't also pinned...

I decide my only option is to try and get my boot off. As I'm trying to get into position to move it, I hear dad's bike. Luckily he managed to get it back up himself and made it to the top. He came and lifted the bike enough I could get my leg out. We got my bike up and debated whether we should continue. It looked like it got a little better up ahead, so we continued on.

Your foot would sink in about an inch, but when you pulled your foot up mud just stuck everywhere.

It was just building up and oozing out everywhere:

It was so sticky the TKC80s had no chance of self cleaning!

I was a ways ahead of dad (and out of intercom range) so I crested a hill and stopped to wait. I waited, and waited, didn't hear his bike so I decided to hike back. I found him at the bottom of 2 hills, but upright. He said his bike wouldn't move. He put it in gear, released the clutch and it acted like it was in neutral. He thought he had broken something in the transmission, but I figured he burnt up the clutch.

He had made it through the worst spots, but this was as far as his bike was going:

We attempted to move dad's bike but the rear tire was locked up.

Decided it was best to setup camp as the rain wasn't far off and we weren't going anywhere anytime soon, and I didn't want to sleep in a wet tent with wet sleeping bags again like we had in Idaho!

We had no cell reception, go figure, so I used my Delorme InReach SE to text my mom and see if she'd call AAA, we were technically on a road . I told her I'd send our coordinates shortly. She didn't reply as she has a bad habit of not keeping her phone with her, so I tried my sister, who actually responded. In the mean time, a truck came by, which really surprised us, but he was meeting a friend to scout so he didn't have time to help us. He said there was a ranch about 10 miles down the road but he said the mud got even worse in the valley and he doubted I'd be able to make it on the bike.

In the mean time, dad had been using the breaker bar to try and beat the mud off around his tire and swingarm:

But his bike still wouldn't move.

As I'm waiting for my mom to reply, amazingly another truck comes by. This time it is a rancher's daughter (not bad looking either ) coming home for the weekend (it's Thursday though ) from her mining job near Eureka. I tell her I'd be happy to pay someone to haul us out. She takes me to the ranch we had passed, and said they might help, but if not we'd go to her dad's place and see if he would. When we arrived at the first place, she told them of our situation, and the rancher, an older guy, put his arm around her and said good luck with that and laughed. I figured dad and I were spending the night out there. But after joking around a bit he said he'd help us out .

I gave the girl some $$s and then went with the rancher to his truck which he had his stock trailer hooked up. We drove the ~7 miles back to dad, and it seemed like the road was just getting worse, the truck (in 4 wd) and the trailer were all over the road.

We got to dad and wrestled his overloaded KLR with a locked up rear tire into the back of the stock trailer. We also loaded mine up, which wasn't near as bad, and quickly took down the tent and threw all our crap in the truck.

The rancher wasn't sure going to Eureka was a smart move, but it was the closest place around and we couldn't do anything in that mud. We headed out, and as the first truck that came by had said, it just got worse in the valley. At one point the truck was pretty much sliding sideways and we were real close to having a jack knife scenario, but I have a feeling the rancher had dealt with that situation once or twice in his life. Even if dad didn't burn up his clutch, there is no way we'd have made it to Eureka that night in the mud, if at all.

On our ride to town my mom replies that AAA is trying to work something out (even though, she never replied, I had texted her we figured something out, and never sent her the coordinates!!). So, it sounded like AAA may have even come and recovered us though we would have been out there hours longer.

After a 50+ mile ride, we made it to the motel. The bikes ride to the motel:

We unloaded the bikes and all our crap. I tried to give the rancher some cash, but he wouldn't take anything, even for fuel. He spent his time and fuel for 100+ mile round trip to haul us into town and wouldn't take a dime. Talk about helping out others!

We said our goodbyes and he started his trip back to the ranch. I immediately tried to source some clutch parts, but seeing as it was Thursday night, even with one day shipping, there was no way I was getting anything until Monday. Why can't Amazon ship to Eureka NV on a Saturday like they do any other big city!!!
Old 09-20-2013, 03:39 PM   #20
securety10 OP
Stuck...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFMCjohn View Post
Hey, you've got 5 stars in the Fresh style chooser ... Way to go!

Your photos really are very good ...
Thanks, I try, but the photos still don't always come out quite like I want. Maybe one of these days...
Quote:
We've been riding quite a bit with two KLRs, so you begin to learn how to canabalize the bikes for some problems ... The mix and match clutch plates is a classic example ... made me happy to hear you used that trick to get to Vegas a bit sooner ...

Usually though it's two KLRs and one unbroken shift lever, ha. It still works out well because when we found a welder for Cary's broken shifter, I had my bike there to test fit the welded shifter to make sure we had the angle right ...
Yeah that was the point of the 2 KLRs in the first place. Dad didn't want a KLR, and I was considering a different bike also, but I had my KLR for years already and figured with some refreshing it'd be fine, so I talked him into buying one using the 2 of the same is better reasoning. He had already cannibalized parts off mine when trying to solve his brake issue. This situation was just one of those oh crap, how are we going to get out of this scenarios and the swapping clutches didn't even come to mind...

Quote:
Anyway, this RR is also cool because you guys are still out there ...
Have fun ... I'm rootin' for you and dad ...
-- SFMCjohn
Thanks, we figure we probably have another solid month before we get home to FL.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:48 PM   #21
securety10 OP
Stuck...

Day 8-10 - Backwards TAT Adventure, with no TAT

The next morning we called around within a couple hundred miles to every motorcycle shop hoping they'd have disks in stock and every rental company hoping they might have a rental truck available. No success on either front.

I started a regional thread on here looking for ideas on finding transportation or parts. Our goal was to get to Vegas as we have family there and were heading that way anyway. I did receive some good ideas, switch clutch plates between bikes, use nickles/washers to lock the clutch, etc.

Dad then spent another 1.5 hr (plus the time he had spent while I was looking for help the previous day) chiseling mud out from the swingarm/tire. Finally, the rear tire moved again. We used my bike to tow his around the back of the motel where we could work on it.

Time for the tear down:

Clutch fiber was everywhere:

The first couple of friction plates were worn but still had some material. We decided to try and shim the springs with washers first. Before reassembling, I put the bike in gear and it acted like it was locked with the clutch out. So, we reassembled. It seemed to work at low speed, so dad took it to the highway. He quickly returned and said it slipped above second gear. So, he got to pulling it apart again.

As we were getting into the afternoon hours we had to decide whether to have parts shipped to the motel on Monday or if we'd be able to limp to Vegas, thus need the parts shipped there. We decided to have the parts shipped to Vegas, so I ordered new plates, disks and springs which would arrive Monday. We had 2.5 days to get something rigged up to meet the parts in Vegas.

Now since one washer helped shimming the spring, I thought 2 would be better. Added the second washer and got to reassembling. As dad was starting to put on his impeller, I noticed he didn't have the shim that goes behind it. We looked and looked but never found it. Continued reassembly anyways. Well, the bike didn't move at all. I felt really stupid at that point as I quickly realized the washers were abutting the studs on the basket, so in reality the washers were doing nothing.

Now anyone that has pulled a bike apart knows this isn't a 10 minute job. You have to drain the oil, coolant, and then disassemble and we only had limited tools. Reassembly also requires the time to burp the cooling system. Well dad had done this twice so far, and he was getting frustrated and tired quick. We gave up for the day so we could regroup and think of a better plan.

As we were going across the street to get come some dinner, we run across this ride:

It turns out to be rtwdoug who is riding the TAT on this beast. We end up chattering with him for quite a while. Turns out he just bought a house about 40 miles south of where I live in FL. We tell him about our adventure and he tells us about his, which includes places not to go to avoid the mud!!

The next morning (Saturday) we again spend a bit of time talking to rtwdoug before he heads out to continue his adventure. As we're eating breakfast, dad admits he'd prefer to have a clutch rather than just rigging his with washers etc to create a direct drive. So I finally give in and decide we can pull my bike apart so we can interchange friction plates. I was trying to avoid pulling my bike apart as it was our only transportation. Frustration quickly arose as we didn't have the torx required to remove my skid plate and the size I thought it was the local hardware store didn't sell. Dad managed to get all but one off with visegrips and an allen, but the last one wasn't coming off. He decided to take the bolt to the hardware store to verify the size. Turns out I was wrong about the size and the hardware store did carry it.

Time for the transplant:

We pull all of dad's plates to figure out which to switch, I don't think friction plates are supposed to look like this :

I swap 4 of my friction plates into dad's and 4 of his into mine. I also notice his springs are shorter even though they are supposed to be the same, so I give him 2 of my springs and take 2 of his. As he's putting the waterpump cover on his bike it doesn't seem to be seating properly and as he is tightening we hear a crack. Turns out he hadn't tightened the impeller nut, but it seemed nothing broke.

Well that was short lived... Once we filled the bike with coolant it was draining out around the water pump cover. It had a small crack. He also had an oil leak which I figured was just a gummed up gasket, but we later learned the rubber rim of the oil screen got caught between the cases. He took the bike for a quick ride and he had a clutch and no slipping .

I then reassembled my bike, luckily with no broken or missing pieces .

Dad removed his waterpump cover, cleaned it up, and applied JB weld. After sitting overnight, it was solid and after he reassembled there was no leaking.

This was the place that was our home for this lovely part of our adventure:

The owner of this place is awesome! He told us the first night he would help us out how ever he could. He'd lend us tools if we needed or anything else. Now with disassembling and reassembling dad's bike 3 times and my bike once, we ended up with a lot of waste antifreeze and oil. We asked the owner about it, and he said to just leave it in the drain pans and he'd take care of it. Talk about service.

Even if you don't have problems, his room rate is very reasonable and the rooms are great for the price. I highly recommend the place! Though it is for sale, as are many other buildings in the town, but as long as he owns it service should be great.

Sunday morning, after putting dad's waterpump cover back on and filling up his cooling system, we loaded up and started our 320 mile journey to Vegas. We arrived Sunday evening without issue.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:55 AM   #22
securety10 OP
Stuck...

Day ??? I lost track - Backwards TAT Adventure - Still no TAT

When we arrived in Vegas we had parts waiting for us along with more on the way.

Dad rebuilt his rear brake, clutch, and installed a fresh TKC80

At first I wasn't going to rebuild my clutch, but I figured since I had to disassemble it anyway to remove the bad discs I installed to get dad to Vegas I may as well install new friction plates and springs. I ended up going with EBC Kevlar plates and heavier EBC springs in mine.

Disassembled, again:

EBC vs Stocker:

I've also had a weeping sight glass for a while, and now I know why:

Good as new:

We ended up staying there a week, with me spending the majority of my time trying to deal with all my pics and videos and catch up on my ride report

We did make a trip down the strip, just to see it.

Reminded me of Time Square.

I also lost a bit of money at the Palms and another smaller casino...

Saturday morning we headed south to see Hoover Dam.

Pro tip: Take pictures from Mike O’Callaghan – Pat Tillman Memorial Bridge in the morning, not after doing the tour etc as you will end up with shadows in the afternoon

Pro tip 2: It cost $7 (per bike) to park on the Nevada side, but it looked to be free on the Arizona side.

We took the power plant tour which was interesting. I wanted to see the inter-workings of the dam. Power generation was just a side effect of the dam, not the original intention. The intention was to help to control the Colorado (flooding etc).

Now for some reason the wind had picked up, as in it was ridiculous. When we went up on the Mike O’Callaghan – Pat Tillman Memorial Bridge to take pictures of the dam there were times you could barely walk due to the force of the gusts.

The bridge is 900 ft above the Colorado river and since its opening you can no longer use the dam as a bridge (as in access Arizona, but you can still drive over it) so we were going to have to cross the Memorial Bridge and neither one of us were looking forward to it. The wind on the bridge was ridiculous, it came from one direction, then it would come from the other (I'm guessing reflecting back off the dam). It wasn't a fun trip. Our goal was to get to Flagstaff, AZ that night, but between the wind and the amount of time we spent at the dam we ended up stopping in Kingman, AZ for the night.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:05 PM   #23
securety10 OP
Stuck...

Backwards TAT Adventure - Maybe someday we'll get back to the TAT...

Sunday morning the wind had died down so it wasn't such a fight with the KLRs on the freeway. We headed towards Sedona, AZ where my cousin (that we stayed with in Vegas) was camping with friends. About 30 miles west of Flagstaff the wind picked up again, but luckily Sedona is only about 20 miles south of Flagstaff so we didn't need to fight it long.

Sedona is a beautiful place, I was actually impressed with AZ in general. I expected it to be more of eastern OR, Nevada scenery, aka bland and not overly interesting. Instead it was green and lush.

The road into Sedona included some nice switchbacks into the Canyon.

Even though it was a beautiful place, it was a miserable night of camping for me. I have a Big Agnes sleeping bag that is made to be used with one of the air mats. My mat went flat during the night which meant I had no cushion between me and the rocks on the ground. Looks like one of the seams failed near the blow-up valve. Dad has a similar mat that has never held air through the night since purchase. Turns out his mat seems to have multiple tiny pin holes. After some googling it seems many people have had problems with these mats, so hopefully Big Agnes will fix/replace them. Though I now have a good excuse to stay in hotels

Anyway, I wish we would have spent more time in (and taken more pictures of Sedona). It was evening when we arrived Sunday and we decided to head out when we got up Monday morning. We had considered visiting the ghost town of Jerome that is just west of Sedona, but we didn't. I regret not doing so now...

Instead we headed off towards the Grand Canyon, which I had realized in Vegas I had forgotten to include in our trip. We had a nice ride up 180 then 64 to the south rim, which is supposed to be the more touristy side.

It was quite the sight to behold.

You can just make out one of the buildings of the Phantom Ranch in this picture (damn shadows!):

And the north rim lodge, 8 miles away across the canyon:

We ended the day here:

It's located on the eastern side of the canyon. We were lucky they had a cancellation so we were able to get a room, there aren't to many other choices between the north and south rim and it was fairly late when we arrived.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:11 PM   #24
LJHrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Great ride report great pictures Good to see a father & son sharing an adventure such as this . Good luck on the rest of your adventure!! Really enjoying this.
LJHrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:48 PM   #25
securety10 OP
Stuck...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJHrider View Post
Great ride report great pictures Good to see a father & son sharing an adventure such as this . Good luck on the rest of your adventure!! Really enjoying this.
Thanks. Wish I was better at keeping up with it, not sure how others manage to keep theirs so up to date while on the adventure!

We got lucky it worked out so well timing wise for the 2 of us, especially seeing as I just found out this past winter he was even interested in attempting to tackle the TAT. The only downfall was our schedule was just a bit to late for some of the Colorado passes (we were there last week) but I knew that was a possibility before we even started the trip due to our departure date. Dad just wishes he was 10 or 20 years younger...
Old 10-06-2013, 09:36 PM   #26
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,707
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by securety10 View Post
Dad just wishes he was 10 or 20 years younger...

Me too, but only knowing what I know now.

Nice report!!

Old 10-06-2013, 10:09 PM   #27
barnyard
Verbal tactician

Oddometer: 10,575
Pretty cool ride report I would have to say.