Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2013, 01:04 PM   #31
lukeman
Cool Hand

Oddometer: 440
Wow great stuff. I wish I did this sort of thing while i was younger. Beats the hell out of the family camping trips :)
Currently: 04 Tiger 955i | 85 BMW K100RT stripped
lukeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:17 PM   #32
LittleWan
You can do it!

Oddometer: 1,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickChick View Post

This is where we start our epic game of leap frog. They're stopping for pictures, and we are stopping to cool our bikes.

Hi Mav! Hi Notar!

Sorry, I was so preoccupied today, I totally missed this post!
It was so fun to see you guys and ride together a bit.
You got some great shots!
Aw, thanks for the kind words, too.
We had a good group.

I have a nice photo of you and your dad eating lunch...

But, unfortunately, I went through our Imogene video and we had a bunch of condensation and rain on the lens - bummer!

I only managed to get a couple decent images...
(this one from the point and shoot and one more that I'm saving)

this one from the GoPro.
we had mud blobs on the lens that were perfectly spaced to ruin most of the shots :(

Sorry about that!
I'm sad that we didn't get more usable footage.
But you kicked ass!

The pass would have been more fun for us, but our clutch kept going out.
Matt was riding with little-to-no clutch for most of it.
The clutch master had been acting up earlier, but on Imogene we had to stop twice and refill it with mineral oil.
Gah!

We had hoped that you guys would stop at the summit, but I totally understand that you were freezing your butts off.
It was actually snowing up there at one point!
Still, it was great seeing you two - we were so glad that you came up to play around.

By the way - Matt sucks at checking his PMs - he just now (yesterday) got your sweet PM offer for a warm dry place!!
We had a motel, don't worry - but thank you so much for the offer!

Hope those stickers weren't too wet - they were in my pocket and, well, it was frickin' raining!

Hmmm.
We only went down Poughkeepsie far enough to see Lake Como.
Hadn't heard of it and didn't realize there was more fun to be had...
Oh well. Like Sourjon says, "something for next time..."

Again, it was super neat to run into you guys - it's great when RRs overlap!
LittleWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:22 AM   #33
dickosaurus
Seasoned Noob

Oddometer: 660
Good stuff, Mav. And may I add, Way to go!
Old 08-22-2013, 02:02 PM   #34
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,774
Good stuff....

I love Colorado.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:26 AM   #35
MaverickChick OP
I do my own stunts.

Oddometer: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWan View Post

I only managed to get a couple decent images...
(this one from the point and shoot and one more that I'm saving)

Should I be frightened? . The majority of our footage was soaked out as well. Thanks for sharing those

Thanks everyone!

I will have an update soon, I just have to edit the video. It's your long awaited Maverickchick eats shiz post.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:45 AM   #36
MaverickChick OP
I do my own stunts.

Phew, I finally managed to get my pictures in order! Now let's see if I can remember which passes we went on sequentially, no guarantee's.

The route--Corkscrew, Hurricane, California, Animas Forks, Cinnamon, Lake City, Engineer, and then back to Ouray to nurse my wounds

Since we had plates on our bikes/ were traveling we decided to take the bikes to the Red Mountains for the start of our epic day. However, it was around 38-40 degrees when we hit the road around 7am. I did swipe my Moms touring jacket, so that helped a lot.

I didn't get many good pictures from the first part of the ride--our gopro's fogged up.

Going up corkscrew!

Does this water look safe to go through? Now that I think about, I haven't always been able lift up my bike with a pinkie finger...

Freezing my butt off!

I saw this glimmer of sunlight, and was beyond excited!!

There were a couple of tough right handers, but somehow I managed to make it through . The views were awesome, and I always love riding in the tree's. This is Colorado though, so eventually we lose the tree's.

It looks like I used the hipster 'smog' setting. Hurricane Pass.

Normally when someone in Utah says Hurricane they are referring to a city in Washington county, Utah. That particular city happens to be pronounced "Hurri-kuhn". So regrettably ,I did catch my self talking about Hurri-kuhn pass a couple of times

MaverickChick screwed with this post 09-20-2013 at 09:06 AM
MaverickChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:24 PM   #37
MaverickChick OP
I do my own stunts.

Corkscrew and Hurricane pass behind us! If we had kept going forward we would have dropped back into Poughkeepsie for some more fun fun fun. Luckily that was not on the itinerary for the day.

If my gopro wasn't freaking out before it really was now...

After traversing several wormholes we made it to the top of California.

We also came across this historic piece. I have no idea what it was, or if its even historic in the slightest. When talking about this, I always refer to it as the dinglehopper. Maybe I should lay off the Little Mermaid.

The ride up was the perfect mix of rocks, and exposed ledges. I did run into a few sketchy switchbacks. But so far it was just another wonderful day in Colorado. It was getting warm enough to open the vents on my jacket!!

Time to head down. What the heck....?!

Houston, we've got a LOT of sheep! We were thinking the sheep had to thin out eventually. We had to go slow around them, and ended up coasting down. Which was nice because we weren't going to overheat the bikes, but the noise wasn't there to clear the sheep from the road.

Then running right at me comes this ferocious dog! Barking and growling at me. Hey buddy I promise I'm not here to steal your sheepies!!

He got really close to me, and I was starting to get nervous. But then he started wagging his tail and smiling at me. Aww. It made me sad to think that this dog might actually have to tangle with a wild animal to save the sheep. And speaking of Animal related depression we also saw granny baa baa.

My dad, ( who is normally known for his words of encouragement) told me that she probably wasn't going to make it through this winter.

Okay Mav, pull it together--we've got miles to hit!

We soon wound our way down to Animas Forks. I really love this place.

Something about being able to walk around in houses where people used to live. In one of the houses it talks about the wife would just lean her arm out the window and collect snow for the water.

Yeah, we have it pretty easy. Here is Animas Fork back in the day.

When we were there they started doing another round of restoration. I kinda wish they would just let the buildings get old and fade away. Just to keep the authenticity. But like I said earlier, I really like being able to visit houses people actually lived in.

Next stop, Cinnamon Pass!

Oh wait. Not before we get a good Selfie in.

Old 09-20-2013, 01:39 PM   #38
MaverickChick OP
I do my own stunts.

I need to go back and dig through more video's and stuff to find the Cinnamon Pass accounts. For some unexplained reason I didn't grab any, when I got all of this stuff.

I can assure that we did make it down, off Cinnamon sage and sound. I know I'm letting you guys down, and that you really wanted the pain and carnage. We'll semi make for that later on. We did run across several people in trucks and SUV's that were hogging our road.

I hope that guys shot turned out cool! I also hope no one gets pissed when he does this in the future and roosts by him.

Shortly after we get around this guy, I hear my dad say 'I'm-----stop.' I slow down, and start to panic. Uh-oh the boss man is down. I don't know how to get out of here. How am I going to get him back to Ouray. ..What did he even wreck on? The road is gravy presenting us with no obstacles down lower.

I'm finally able to get him back on the communicator, and he tells me a bug flew into his helmet.

The scenery was pretty epic going into Lake City.

The actual lake, of Lake city. Man oh man. anyone have a kayak I can borrow for a bit?

After the crash scare we grab some grub!! Apparently they serve humongous proportions too! Don't worry, in true ADV fashion we were able to grab a pic. I'm not usually a fan of breakfast burrito's, but man--I crave these.

The place we scored this fine meal was very interesting to say the least. We walked in thinking it was going to be a convince store, I mean we did pull up to a gas station. However, it looked like an old southern café. Super cool.

It did have quite the crazy bathroom though. Outside there was a plywood shed looking thing. So you walk up the shaky stairs, and into the uhh building. The stalls are divided by shower curtains. It's always weird things like this that stick in my memory.

Engineer was next, and I was nervous to say the least. That sucker is rocky as fuh, and always seemingly full of traffic.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:00 PM   #39
MaverickChick OP
I do my own stunts.

I had this whole thing typed up and my browser quit. Of course I didn't do my normal write up in word first either.

Since I'm out of time for now I'll just give you a teaser. You know, to entice you back

Golly Mav, that's a mighty close look at that rock...

Old 09-20-2013, 06:47 PM   #40
LittleWan
You can do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickChick View Post

If my gopro wasn't freaking out before it really was now...

Then running right at me comes this ferocious dog! Barking and growling at me. Hey buddy I promise I'm not here to steal your sheepies!!

He got really close to me, and I was starting to get nervous. But then he started wagging his tail and smiling at me. Aww. It made me sad to think that this dog might actually have to tangle with a wild animal to save the sheep. And speaking of Animal related depression we also saw granny baa baa.

My dad, ( who is normally known for his words of encouragement) told me that she probably wasn't going to make it through this winter.
Gah!
Doesn't a foggy GoPro suck??

Joefromsf showed us these things (anti-fog inserts), I had never heard of them but I need to get some. You, too!

Sorry about your sad animal encounters
I always get bummed out by those thoughts, too.
Last time we were in Colorado, we ran over a chipmunk. I still feel super bad about it.

This ride - didn't kill anything! Wooo!

Nice job on the report, Mav!
I feel your pain on the lost post. I f'ing HATE that!
We'll be back, don't worry.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:59 PM   #41
LittleWan
You can do it!

Yoo hoo! Mav!

Hey, lady - it's been over a month...you still have a ride report to finish up...

♥ little wan
Old 10-29-2013, 11:28 AM   #42
MaverickChick OP
I do my own stunts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWan View Post
Yoo hoo! Mav!

Hey, lady - it's been over a month...you still have a ride report to finish up...

♥ little wan

Uh oh.

I guess I better get on it! Thank you for the much needed encouragement
Old 10-29-2013, 12:46 PM   #43
MaverickChick OP
I do my own stunts.

Engineer

Now before I get into this, i'll set the stage by saying downward slopes never end that great for me...well almost never. But especially not when we are getting Engineer pass involved.

The ride up coming from Lake city was a breeze. Although the scenery is always beautiful in Colorado, we were getting pretty jaded. Ready, set, here we go!!

There is nothing between that picture, and the hallelujah--almost to the summit one. But that is okay, not much action going on anyways.

Hallelujah, almost to the summit!!

Great, now that we're up here, it's all down hill. Right? Meaning it gets easier? Wait it's going to be downhill, but harder. Okay. So we are going downhill, but it is all uphill from here.

So far down the road we go! Everything is super chill, and by that I mean, it's snowing. We start to encounter bazillions of jeeps and trucks. I'm not sure on the exactness of this yielding courtesy I've developed in my head--But it works for me.

As far as my understanding goes, the like vehicle traveling uphill has the right of way. However, if it hiker is going down, obviously the Jeep should yield to the hiker. I also hold a theory that if possible, trucks and Jeeps should yield to Motorcyclists.

However backwards that notion may be, it gives you a background and explanation of the events I'll describe below.

Enter the long string of people we run across who simply don't care about wasting someone else's time. These guys looked back and saw us, then continued to chat it up for 3 minutes. I know we didn't really have a time schedule to keep, but I couldn't help but be slightly annoyed.

Old 10-29-2013, 01:14 PM   #44
MaverickChick OP
I do my own stunts.

Jeep coming up! So I do the logical thing and pull to the right, and will wait for the vehicles to pass me. However, jeep insists, ladies first.

I shake my head and wave him through, because my front tire is up against a large rock--and I have a history of eating shiz in these types of situations. Specifically letting my back tire hop sideways, instead of the convention forward to back motion

Not wanting to further delay (So far we'd been at a standstill for 4 seconds), I bust a move.

And now back to my camera

And by bust a move I mean crash.

Boom. My helmet clinks against the rock wall, as my left leg comes down hard on the peg. I feel like I was on the ground for hours before I heard my dad ask if I was alright. More embarrassed than hurt, I struggle to right my bike. The jeep and vehicles behind him begin to back down, and I'm finally back on my bike. I manage to breeze down and easily make it to the witnesses. We don't say anything, just cruise by.

I almost have another 'incident' with some bigger rocks. I might have been reliving the jeep scenario, and I found myself lugging on top of these rocks. Uh oh! I stop, and prepare to relaunch. Once again my right hand turn fearing brain goes into semi panic mode. Don't worry Mav, you fail this right hander and you're going down a steep incline.

Luckily I lived to face another obstacle. Now, a good indicator of sketchy terrain to come is when you see people filming you. We round a corner to see a group of 3 four wheelers with a video camera. The guy filming in the back doesn't even wait til I pass to shout, "IT'S A GIRL!".

More traffic down below, and we wait while a stock Tacoma crawl up this monstrosity. However, it does mean a start in tricky terrain. Oh, and what do you know, another right.

The battery dies down below, but luckily we are event free.

Engineer pass--Double check.

It bruised the fuh out of my knee's (despite knee pads), and also claimed a part off of my FJ.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:08 PM   #45
Vinbowie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
Great report!
Someday, I hope to get there.
It's definitely not local for me.
They just stand back and let it all be." Springsteen
Vinbowie is offline   Reply With Quote