Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2013, 08:50 AM   #1771
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
Do not count on that. When I went to adjust the chain for the first time I found that I had received the bike with the rear axle about 3/16" - 1/4" out of alignment!! IF yours is similar, that could be what you feel.
That is a very good point. It would feel like rear steering in one direction, and sluggish in the other.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:41 AM   #1772
KiLO
Adventure Cafe

Oddometer: 319
Thumb

Love the garage door opener mod. I do that on all my bikes as well! Clean!
Old 09-20-2013, 12:45 PM   #1773
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by klinquist View Post
Of course it works.
Wow! Quick on the response. I realized it was a stupid response and quickly changed it. You were quoting me while I was editing...

Can you post a link to parts please. I really want to do this mod.

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:06 PM   #1774
rustynut2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 447
Am I the only one that puts his remote in my riding jacket pocket. Nice work though.

note to self, remove remote before washing in tub

12 T800XC
09 KLR 650
rustynut2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:11 PM   #1775
pilot3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
You should get the Tiger 800 specific kit. Somewhere (oh the threads are getting big) there was a discussion regarding it and the mounting issues. I think I remember I had contacted BB about it and got some answer as to why. And let me clarify my answer: I remember that there may have been someone who may have gotten a non-specific kit to work but it takes some wrangling. I went with the specific kit from Twistedthrottle.com and it was nooooo problem bolting it up. On in the winter and off in the summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhead_pete View Post
With respect to Barkbusters will the generic ones work or must I buy those specific for the The Tiger?
pilot3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:12 PM   #1776
BryanCO
CO Rider

Oddometer: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustynut2 View Post
Am I the only one that puts his remote in my riding jacket pocket. Nice work though.

note to self, remove remote before washing in tub
Ya, that's what I was thinking.

I back the bike into the garage so have to get off anyway -- and just use the externally mounted key pad to open the door.

Nice mod though.
BryanCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:20 PM   #1777
pilot3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by klinquist View Post
Added something to the bike that I have on all my bikes..

First, I removed the two 5mm bolts on the plastic pieces on top of the tank... carefully pulled them aside, then removed the two 5mm bolts on the plastic piece that is just around/behind the key.

The bike then looked like this:

I took that piece from around the key and drilled a 1/2" hole in it... and inserted a waterproof momentary push-button switch that I snagged on eBay:

I then took apart the smallest Genie Intellilink garage door opener I could find, soldered connections from its button to the button I installed, wrapped the whole thing in electrical tape, and used 3M VHB double sided tape to tape it to the inside of the plastic piece. Plenty of clearance.

Voila, everything reinstalled, I now have a handy garage door opener on the bike.

OK two things here. First, this is an awesome way of doing this and looks clean and neat. Second, it makes me wish I had thought of something like this before I did it my way which was tapping into the flash-to-pass switch (got it from GSXR.com) which was a raging pain in the ass. Great mod klinquist.
pilot3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 05:59 AM   #1778
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,604
Nice install! That panel may be great for installing the Gerbing permanent panel mount controller, too! Wish I would've thought of that before going with the Powerlet wireless controller (which still works just fine...).
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 06:27 AM   #1779
klinquist
übergeek

Oddometer: 1,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by live2ridetahoe View Post
Wow! Quick on the response. I realized it was a stupid response and quickly changed it. You were quoting me while I was editing...

Can you post a link to parts please. I really want to do this mod.

JG
Parts:

Smallest keychain remote control you can find for your garage door opener. May vary by opener type.

Waterproof momentary button. I used this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Waterproo...item58a48d5b39

Some wire, some electrical tape, some double-sided tape.

Tools: Soldering iron, drill, 5mm hex :).

Really the whole install took me about 15 minutes.

I've pretty much done this mod on all my other bikes/vehicles. I always try to pick a plastic panel that is small and (hopefully inexpensive) to drill into... that way I can always replace it if I sell the bike or break something.

For instance.. this is my VFR:

This is my DRZ:
Old 09-21-2013, 02:57 PM   #1780
panhead_pete
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot3 View Post
You should get the Tiger 800 specific kit. Somewhere (oh the threads are getting big) there was a discussion regarding it and the mounting issues. I think I remember I had contacted BB about it and got some answer as to why. And let me clarify my answer: I remember that there may have been someone who may have gotten a non-specific kit to work but it takes some wrangling. I went with the specific kit from Twistedthrottle.com and it was nooooo problem bolting it up. On in the winter and off in the summer.

Thanks Pilot!
Old 09-21-2013, 05:26 PM   #1781
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
Do not count on that. When I went to adjust the chain for the first time I found that I had received the bike with the rear axle about 3/16" - 1/4" out of alignment!! IF yours is similar, that could be what you feel.
Actually for me I found it wasn't the axle but the handle bars! They were not mounted correctly!

I checked the positioning and there off center about 1/2 inch! I fixed it and it's all better! Word how the dealer didn't checked to see that before sending of the bike.... Oh well!

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 4
y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 04:07 PM   #1782
SoCal_Singletrack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Farkle Fest #3

Barkbusters handguards and new tennies for the Tiger

Installed the Barkbusters handguards and VPS shields this weekend. Install was pretty straightforward. Can you believe I actually paid the shop to install the handguards on my old bike? What was I thinking? Also swapped out the stock Scorpion street tires for a set of Kenda Big Blocks. This is the first set of legit off-road tires I've run on my Tiger. In the brief time that I've run them both on and off road, I've got no complaints. The Kendas appeared to be the cheapest in terms of knobbies for the Tiger and I just wanted to throw on a decent set of treads with out forking out $$$ for them. Terrain varies, but if you're familiar with SoCal dirt (very dry, talcum powder soft stuff mixed with intermittent slabs of jagged bedrock) the Kendas seems to stick quite nicely. Ran some fairly gnarly portions of Main Divide Rd. up in Cleveland NF and never felt sketchy even on loose high speed stretches. I'll probably upgrade to the fancier stuff (Heidenau K60s ,etc.) in the future, but again we'll see.

As for the Barkbusters, I really like them. High quality as advertised. From what I hear, they're the easiest/best fit for the Tiger 800 XC as compared to other offerings. Final setup is a little more tricky if you're running Rox Risers like me, but just some tweaking here and there to get all the angles lined up.

The only thing that kinda bothers me is that all of the handlebar cabling is routed below the handguards EXCEPT for the clutch cable. This was the case with my KLX250S and any time I laid the bike down (which happened a lot), the left handguard would get pushed upward (depending on the level of impact) and yank hard on the clutch cable. There were a couple of times where the clutch cable was almost ripped out. Not good. I don't want to think about loosing the clutch cable in the middle of nowhere on the Tiger.

The red VPS shields are kinda lackluster (I was hoping that they'd be a little deeper in color) so I may just paint them black like I did to the extended shields on top

Note the location of the clutch cable. What happens if the handguard gets rotated upwards after a crash?
SoCal_Singletrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:48 AM   #1783
btao
Pwned

Oddometer: 996
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Singletrack View Post

Installed the Barkbusters handguards and VPS shields this weekend. Install was pretty straightforward. Can you believe I actually paid the shop to install the handguards on my old bike? What was I thinking? Also swapped out the stock Scorpion street tires for a set of Kenda Big Blocks. This is the first set of legit off-road tires I've run on my Tiger. In the brief time that I've run them both on and off road, I've got no complaints. The Kendas appeared to be the cheapest in terms of knobbies for the Tiger and I just wanted to throw on a decent set of treads with out forking out $$$ for them. Terrain varies, but if you're familiar with SoCal dirt (very dry, talcum powder soft stuff mixed with intermittent slabs of jagged bedrock) the Kendas seems to stick quite nicely. Ran some fairly gnarly portions of Main Divide Rd. up in Cleveland NF and never felt sketchy even on loose high speed stretches. I'll probably upgrade to the fancier stuff (Heidenau K60s ,etc.) in the future, but again we'll see.

As for the Barkbusters, I really like them. High quality as advertised. From what I hear, they're the easiest/best fit for the Tiger 800 XC as compared to other offerings. Final setup is a little more tricky if you're running Rox Risers like me, but just some tweaking here and there to get all the angles lined up.

The only thing that kinda bothers me is that all of the handlebar cabling is routed below the handguards EXCEPT for the clutch cable. This was the case with my KLX250S and any time I laid the bike down (which happened a lot), the left handguard would get pushed upward (depending on the level of impact) and yank hard on the clutch cable. There were a couple of times where the clutch cable was almost ripped out. Not good. I don't want to think about loosing the clutch cable in the middle of nowhere on the Tiger.

The red VPS shields are kinda lackluster (I was hoping that they'd be a little deeper in color) so I may just paint them black like I did to the extended shields on top

Note the location of the clutch cable. What happens if the handguard gets rotated upwards after a crash?
Jeebus! Do you have to stand just to reach those bars! You've got risers on your risers man! Did you lengthen all your cables? I've heard and noticed they get pretty tight if you go too far at lock.

They don't move much, and after a few good faceplants, the inside only moved down a little. Scratched the plastic at lock. I tightened them a little more. They took a beating and kept on ticking.

Seems like the Tiger doesn't have the best of cable routing IMO. Seems like they rub on just about everything: plastics, forks, frame. Anyone else notice?
btao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:31 AM   #1784
Dubl-A
DS Junkie

Oddometer: 1,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Singletrack View Post

Nice setup Socal! Interested in the wear rate on those BB. Keep us updated
Dubl-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:33 AM   #1785
Dubl-A
DS Junkie

Oddometer: 1,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by btao View Post
Jeebus! Do you have to stand just to reach those bars! You've got risers on your risers man!

It looks like just the Rox risers on the stock setup if I'm not mistaken
Dubl-A is offline   Reply With Quote