ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-20-2013, 08:50 AM   #1771
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur
 
High Country Herb's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Western Sierras
Oddometer: 6,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
Do not count on that. When I went to adjust the chain for the first time I found that I had received the bike with the rear axle about 3/16" - 1/4" out of alignment!! IF yours is similar, that could be what you feel.
That is a very good point. It would feel like rear steering in one direction, and sluggish in the other.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:41 AM   #1772
KiLO
Adventure Cafe
 
KiLO's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 319
Thumb

Love the garage door opener mod. I do that on all my bikes as well! Clean!
__________________
'09 Triumph Thruxton | '13 Triumph Tiger 800XC
KiLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:45 PM   #1773
live2ridetahoe
RN
 
live2ridetahoe's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Concord, CA
Oddometer: 1,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by klinquist View Post
Of course it works.
Wow! Quick on the response. I realized it was a stupid response and quickly changed it. You were quoting me while I was editing...

Can you post a link to parts please. I really want to do this mod.

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:06 PM   #1774
rustynut2
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: illinois
Oddometer: 447
Am I the only one that puts his remote in my riding jacket pocket. Nice work though.


note to self, remove remote before washing in tub
__________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Work harder, millions on welfare depend on you.

12 T800XC
09 KLR 650
rustynut2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:11 PM   #1775
pilot3
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Oddometer: 384
You should get the Tiger 800 specific kit. Somewhere (oh the threads are getting big) there was a discussion regarding it and the mounting issues. I think I remember I had contacted BB about it and got some answer as to why. And let me clarify my answer: I remember that there may have been someone who may have gotten a non-specific kit to work but it takes some wrangling. I went with the specific kit from Twistedthrottle.com and it was nooooo problem bolting it up. On in the winter and off in the summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhead_pete View Post
With respect to Barkbusters will the generic ones work or must I buy those specific for the The Tiger?
pilot3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:12 PM   #1776
BryanCO
CO Rider
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Colorado Springs
Oddometer: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustynut2 View Post
Am I the only one that puts his remote in my riding jacket pocket. Nice work though.


note to self, remove remote before washing in tub
Ya, that's what I was thinking.

I back the bike into the garage so have to get off anyway -- and just use the externally mounted key pad to open the door.

Nice mod though.
BryanCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:20 PM   #1777
pilot3
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Oddometer: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by klinquist View Post
Added something to the bike that I have on all my bikes..


First, I removed the two 5mm bolts on the plastic pieces on top of the tank... carefully pulled them aside, then removed the two 5mm bolts on the plastic piece that is just around/behind the key.

The bike then looked like this:



I took that piece from around the key and drilled a 1/2" hole in it... and inserted a waterproof momentary push-button switch that I snagged on eBay:





I then took apart the smallest Genie Intellilink garage door opener I could find, soldered connections from its button to the button I installed, wrapped the whole thing in electrical tape, and used 3M VHB double sided tape to tape it to the inside of the plastic piece. Plenty of clearance.




Voila, everything reinstalled, I now have a handy garage door opener on the bike.

OK two things here. First, this is an awesome way of doing this and looks clean and neat. Second, it makes me wish I had thought of something like this before I did it my way which was tapping into the flash-to-pass switch (got it from GSXR.com) which was a raging pain in the ass. Great mod klinquist.
pilot3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 05:59 AM   #1778
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Meadowlands, NJ (just east of the USA)
Oddometer: 1,604
Nice install! That panel may be great for installing the Gerbing permanent panel mount controller, too! Wish I would've thought of that before going with the Powerlet wireless controller (which still works just fine...).
__________________
-Lee
2013 Triumph Tiger 800
2008 Suzuki SV650n (Sold... I miss that bike...)
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 06:27 AM   #1779
klinquist
übergeek
 
klinquist's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: San Jose, CA
Oddometer: 1,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by live2ridetahoe View Post
Wow! Quick on the response. I realized it was a stupid response and quickly changed it. You were quoting me while I was editing...

Can you post a link to parts please. I really want to do this mod.

JG
Parts:

Smallest keychain remote control you can find for your garage door opener. May vary by opener type.

Waterproof momentary button. I used this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Waterproo...item58a48d5b39

Some wire, some electrical tape, some double-sided tape.

Tools: Soldering iron, drill, 5mm hex :).

Really the whole install took me about 15 minutes.


I've pretty much done this mod on all my other bikes/vehicles. I always try to pick a plastic panel that is small and (hopefully inexpensive) to drill into... that way I can always replace it if I sell the bike or break something.

For instance.. this is my VFR:


This is my DRZ:
__________________
My 2013 Tiger 800 "Off-Roadie" (plate GETLOZT) - My 2003 DRZ (plate LV DRT RD) - My 2003 E350 Adventure Van (plate ADV VAN) - Amateur Radio W1ADV
Upcoming: Heart of the West Sept 2014 Past: Two idiots and a guy on a VFR have dinner in Prudhoe
klinquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 02:57 PM   #1780
panhead_pete
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Oddometer: 1,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot3 View Post
You should get the Tiger 800 specific kit. Somewhere (oh the threads are getting big) there was a discussion regarding it and the mounting issues. I think I remember I had contacted BB about it and got some answer as to why. And let me clarify my answer: I remember that there may have been someone who may have gotten a non-specific kit to work but it takes some wrangling. I went with the specific kit from Twistedthrottle.com and it was nooooo problem bolting it up. On in the winter and off in the summer.

Thanks Pilot!
__________________
More gear and still no idea.
panhead_pete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 05:26 PM   #1781
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer
 
y0y02369's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Bay Area
Oddometer: 1,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
Do not count on that. When I went to adjust the chain for the first time I found that I had received the bike with the rear axle about 3/16" - 1/4" out of alignment!! IF yours is similar, that could be what you feel.
Actually for me I found it wasn't the axle but the handle bars! They were not mounted correctly!

I checked the positioning and there off center about 1/2 inch! I fixed it and it's all better! Word how the dealer didn't checked to see that before sending of the bike.... Oh well!

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 4
__________________
Drive?! Why?! Cars have too many wheels... just makes me feel... awkwardly stable... I'll ride thank you!v
Not knowing where you are going in part of the adventure! :loll
Daisy the Tiger and Frenchie
y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 04:07 PM   #1782
SoCal_Singletrack
Adventurer
 
SoCal_Singletrack's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: Magic Kingdom
Oddometer: 22
Farkle Fest #3

Barkbusters handguards and new tennies for the Tiger

Installed the Barkbusters handguards and VPS shields this weekend. Install was pretty straightforward. Can you believe I actually paid the shop to install the handguards on my old bike? What was I thinking? Also swapped out the stock Scorpion street tires for a set of Kenda Big Blocks. This is the first set of legit off-road tires I've run on my Tiger. In the brief time that I've run them both on and off road, I've got no complaints. The Kendas appeared to be the cheapest in terms of knobbies for the Tiger and I just wanted to throw on a decent set of treads with out forking out $$$ for them. Terrain varies, but if you're familiar with SoCal dirt (very dry, talcum powder soft stuff mixed with intermittent slabs of jagged bedrock) the Kendas seems to stick quite nicely. Ran some fairly gnarly portions of Main Divide Rd. up in Cleveland NF and never felt sketchy even on loose high speed stretches. I'll probably upgrade to the fancier stuff (Heidenau K60s ,etc.) in the future, but again we'll see.

As for the Barkbusters, I really like them. High quality as advertised. From what I hear, they're the easiest/best fit for the Tiger 800 XC as compared to other offerings. Final setup is a little more tricky if you're running Rox Risers like me, but just some tweaking here and there to get all the angles lined up.

The only thing that kinda bothers me is that all of the handlebar cabling is routed below the handguards EXCEPT for the clutch cable. This was the case with my KLX250S and any time I laid the bike down (which happened a lot), the left handguard would get pushed upward (depending on the level of impact) and yank hard on the clutch cable. There were a couple of times where the clutch cable was almost ripped out. Not good. I don't want to think about loosing the clutch cable in the middle of nowhere on the Tiger.


The red VPS shields are kinda lackluster (I was hoping that they'd be a little deeper in color) so I may just paint them black like I did to the extended shields on top

Note the location of the clutch cable. What happens if the handguard gets rotated upwards after a crash?
__________________
West Coast Bias
Highest point East of the Mississippi? -6,684 feet
Highest point West of the Mississippi? -14,505 feet
SoCal_Singletrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:48 AM   #1783
btao
Pwned
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Not far enough...
Oddometer: 996
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Singletrack View Post
Barkbusters handguards and new tennies for the Tiger

Installed the Barkbusters handguards and VPS shields this weekend. Install was pretty straightforward. Can you believe I actually paid the shop to install the handguards on my old bike? What was I thinking? Also swapped out the stock Scorpion street tires for a set of Kenda Big Blocks. This is the first set of legit off-road tires I've run on my Tiger. In the brief time that I've run them both on and off road, I've got no complaints. The Kendas appeared to be the cheapest in terms of knobbies for the Tiger and I just wanted to throw on a decent set of treads with out forking out $$$ for them. Terrain varies, but if you're familiar with SoCal dirt (very dry, talcum powder soft stuff mixed with intermittent slabs of jagged bedrock) the Kendas seems to stick quite nicely. Ran some fairly gnarly portions of Main Divide Rd. up in Cleveland NF and never felt sketchy even on loose high speed stretches. I'll probably upgrade to the fancier stuff (Heidenau K60s ,etc.) in the future, but again we'll see.

As for the Barkbusters, I really like them. High quality as advertised. From what I hear, they're the easiest/best fit for the Tiger 800 XC as compared to other offerings. Final setup is a little more tricky if you're running Rox Risers like me, but just some tweaking here and there to get all the angles lined up.

The only thing that kinda bothers me is that all of the handlebar cabling is routed below the handguards EXCEPT for the clutch cable. This was the case with my KLX250S and any time I laid the bike down (which happened a lot), the left handguard would get pushed upward (depending on the level of impact) and yank hard on the clutch cable. There were a couple of times where the clutch cable was almost ripped out. Not good. I don't want to think about loosing the clutch cable in the middle of nowhere on the Tiger.


The red VPS shields are kinda lackluster (I was hoping that they'd be a little deeper in color) so I may just paint them black like I did to the extended shields on top

Note the location of the clutch cable. What happens if the handguard gets rotated upwards after a crash?
Jeebus! Do you have to stand just to reach those bars! You've got risers on your risers man! Did you lengthen all your cables? I've heard and noticed they get pretty tight if you go too far at lock.

They don't move much, and after a few good faceplants, the inside only moved down a little. Scratched the plastic at lock. I tightened them a little more. They took a beating and kept on ticking.

Seems like the Tiger doesn't have the best of cable routing IMO. Seems like they rub on just about everything: plastics, forks, frame. Anyone else notice?
__________________
"you opened your mind so far, your brains fell out"
_________________________
Current: '13 Tiger 800 XC, '09 Subi WRX, '11 405hp Sti (wifey's) Past: '74 Honda CB 360, '81 Yamaha 650 Special II, '01 Bandit 1200S, '07 Bandit 1250S
btao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:31 AM   #1784
Dubl-A
DS Junkie
 
Dubl-A's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: 505
Oddometer: 1,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Singletrack View Post
Barkbusters handguards and new tennies for the Tiger

Installed the Barkbusters handguards and VPS shields this weekend. Install was pretty straightforward. Can you believe I actually paid the shop to install the handguards on my old bike? What was I thinking? Also swapped out the stock Scorpion street tires for a set of Kenda Big Blocks. This is the first set of legit off-road tires I've run on my Tiger. In the brief time that I've run them both on and off road, I've got no complaints. The Kendas appeared to be the cheapest in terms of knobbies for the Tiger and I just wanted to throw on a decent set of treads with out forking out $$$ for them. Terrain varies, but if you're familiar with SoCal dirt (very dry, talcum powder soft stuff mixed with intermittent slabs of jagged bedrock) the Kendas seems to stick quite nicely. Ran some fairly gnarly portions of Main Divide Rd. up in Cleveland NF and never felt sketchy even on loose high speed stretches. I'll probably upgrade to the fancier stuff (Heidenau K60s ,etc.) in the future, but again we'll see.

As for the Barkbusters, I really like them. High quality as advertised. From what I hear, they're the easiest/best fit for the Tiger 800 XC as compared to other offerings. Final setup is a little more tricky if you're running Rox Risers like me, but just some tweaking here and there to get all the angles lined up.

The only thing that kinda bothers me is that all of the handlebar cabling is routed below the handguards EXCEPT for the clutch cable. This was the case with my KLX250S and any time I laid the bike down (which happened a lot), the left handguard would get pushed upward (depending on the level of impact) and yank hard on the clutch cable. There were a couple of times where the clutch cable was almost ripped out. Not good. I don't want to think about loosing the clutch cable in the middle of nowhere on the Tiger.


The red VPS shields are kinda lackluster (I was hoping that they'd be a little deeper in color) so I may just paint them black like I did to the extended shields on top

Note the location of the clutch cable. What happens if the handguard gets rotated upwards after a crash?
Nice setup Socal! Interested in the wear rate on those BB. Keep us updated
Dubl-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:33 AM   #1785
Dubl-A
DS Junkie
 
Dubl-A's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: 505
Oddometer: 1,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by btao View Post
Jeebus! Do you have to stand just to reach those bars! You've got risers on your risers man!

It looks like just the Rox risers on the stock setup if I'm not mistaken
Dubl-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014