Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2013, 08:26 AM   #16
Nictrolis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Wow, I'm surprised at all the people saying go for it. I'm 5'10", been riding for about 12 years, and I definitely would not recommend the f800gs as a first bike. Low speed maneuvering, probably the hardest part of learning to ride, is more difficult due to the height of the bike, regardless of your size. Not being able to get both feet on the ground contributes to that at a stop (and confidence in general), but otherwise the rider's height isn't a huge issue.

Something I didn't see mentioned is braking. Braking hard on the f800gs, the front end wants to dive significantly. This eliminates any control you have. With experience and technique you'll to brake properly, making the bike "sit" rather than roll forward. In high-stress situations, having a bike the is more forgiving for a noob will keep you alive.

Could you get one of these bikes and do fine on it? Sure. But is it a good idea to risk your life over it? Not in my opinion. Grab a cheap, more forgiving "standard" style bike and ride it for at least a full year. You'll learn a lot and likely be able to sell the bike at about the same price you bought it. Or a small dirt bike... but I find it's more the road that you have to worry about, as people ignore traffic rules and don't pay much attention when driving.
Nictrolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 04:21 PM   #17
GREWUPIN_D11
GREWUPIN_D11

Oddometer: 68
Yes.

The training courses as described will, I expect, provide sufficient experience to get you going without undue danger to yourself or others.

Very important: INSTALL HANDGUARDS. I have extensive experience (dozens of data points) dropping my F800 in a variety of paved and unpaved scenarios, and can report that the handguards and passenger pegs have performed superbly in preventing damage to all other components. Crashbars, in my view, are not worth the expense and weight.
GREWUPIN_D11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 05:05 PM   #18
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,620
Sure, why not. My first road bike, that I did my learners test on, was an XJ750 Yamaha. Lived on that bike. Had no car, rain, hail, or shine I rode. A semi with a missing fuel cap dumped about 40 litres of diesel across the road on a sharp bend in front of me one morning, when the XJ had about 70,000km on it. I knew I was screwed before the bike disappeared from under me. Sliding across the road I thought I'd got away with it, as I could see the bike was relatively unharmed. Then as it hit the dirt it bounced spinning into the air....and I slid under it to cushion it's landing.

Being a poorly paid apprentice it was heartbreaking to see my new, not fully insured bike, trashed. I stripped it down while the gravel rash was still healing, threw away the bent and broken bits, and started modifying and upgrading, whilst enjoying public transport (not).

This instilled in me a lifelong need to modify things. Once I realised how easy it is, I couldn't stop. Just warning you up front. You too may get bitten by the bug.

The issue with braking as previously mentioned is a significant one for a learner. When I was getting back into off roading the under sprung under damped front ends were a big control issue. It was an issue that wasn't going away.

Firm up the front end and everything changes.

Otherwise, in rocky off road riding you will become familiar with the "stall and fall" dismount. Especially at 5'10".

The factory low seat helps heaps.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:58 PM   #19
pilesofmiles
Life is an Adventure

Oddometer: 711
Buy the 2014 Launch Edition and don't even look back, its an awesome first year model bike! Caution...it's a tall bike and launch edition comes with more options.
Having owned two previous 1200 Adventures and put thousands of miles on both of them the F8 ADV its a fantastic fun flickable much lighter ride!

pilesofmiles screwed with this post 09-21-2013 at 11:13 PM
pilesofmiles is offline   Reply With Quote