Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 02:25 PM   #46
TouratechUSA OP
Made For Adventure

Oddometer: 469
Any time you start extending a rear rack backwards like that, you should pay special attention to the mounting since it will put much more leverage on the subframe and mounting rack. Especially with a pretty heavy tent on the top of the topbox and a passenger leaning on it, there will be a lot of stress being put on the mounting system.

We suggest you talk to Touratech Nordic and ask their advice since they are your closest distributor, and a very good one at that: http://www.touratech.se/main/

Thanks TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by niklasthedolphin View Post
Zega pro top box moved backwards on F8GS?

My wife and I have the F800GS 2009.

We were early out getting the Zega Pro And S 31/38L pannier set and later on, when available, the Zega pro And S 38L top box/top case.

We have the BMW comfort seat if any influence on our issue here.

We travel around Europe two up each summer but since we got the top box, the ride have become rather unpleasant for both of us.
There's simply not enough space for riding two up (at least not our size) while the top box is mounted.
It's like I eather have to lean uncomfortably much forward and down towards the handlebar with my entire torso og my wife is pushing her back too much against the top box.

The Top box is sitting on top of the Touratech Standard Top Case Bracket which sits on top of the Stainless Steel Luggage rack.

My question is if anybody, maybe any Touratech expert, have had any succes altering the positioning point of the top box backwards to make more space for the pillion rider or if anyone have any idea IF it in any way is possible?
The attachment holes i drilled in the bottom of the top box were in the very front rim of the plane area of the metal to ensure the furthest rear positioning on the bracket.

Maybe leveling out the angle would also help but this might get to look ridiculous as it follows the angle of the panniers as it is now.
Or a combination of letting a blacksmith do a "buffer plate" in between the box and the bracket and leveling the angle slightly out by shortening the two rear spacers under the luggage rack?
We just need the very front top of the top box moved back some 5-10 cm.

Might it weaken the attachment in any hazard way if it was put further back by a blacksmith?

We are aware of the weight distribution issues and tend to keep the top box almost empty (space for souveniers) or filled with the very lightest of the packing.
Before we got the top box, we used two heavy roll bags on the luggage rack anyway.
From now on we intent to only have the Redverz Expedition Tent on top of the top box.

Any input will be welcome.

I am in particular interested in any info from Touratech, if they have had any similar requiery, if they made a buffer plate for solving this issue or if any other solution was thought of by anyone at Touratech Worldwide?

Thanks for reading.
TouratechUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:55 PM   #47
Makis54
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
DR650 stuff

Any chance Touratech will start producing products for the DR650? Specifically pannier mounts. I have a set of Zega 2's on my F800. It would be nice to be able to swap bags back and forth. Figured it was worth a shot since they ventured into the KLR scene.
Thanks
Makis54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:08 AM   #48
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,131
I mounted the full set of Zega Pro's on my new-to-me KTM 990 Adventure R.
The bike is used way too much for commuting, (my primary transport). On my old 1150 Adventure I used a set of Jesse's and a BMW Adventure top box.
I have to carry a laptop once in a while for work, and sometimes operate my office from my bike. The three bags work.
I have not trusted a bag to be perfectly waterproof since the old Krauser bags of the 70's so I pack accordingly. No problems so far. I have not used the Zega's yet in a full downpour but expect some water creep. I could have done without the latch quick release of the top box, but I do like it since it's there.
Touratech were great to deal with between the two of us we only missed one lock and that wasn't really a big issue as I wasn't in a crush for time. Planning ahead when buying is a good idea. Even the grocery store are out of things at times.

Fit and finish are very nice. Everything mated up pretty simply. There are a lot of joints to make so it takes a little fiddling and careful alignment and work but no grinding or drilling. No melted turnsignals either!

I think they look great on the bike.

Once I get my bash plate mounted and a free weekend I can see how it all works in the desert camping.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 02:38 AM   #49
K7TNT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
Old 09-03-2014, 11:18 PM   #50
QueLastima
'09 F800GS

Oddometer: 6
Bare Aluminum?

Hi, just wondering if anyone has experience with the bare aluminum Zega Pro's.

Does the appearance change over time? Do they get that oxidized look?
Any dust/markings on gear rattling around inside the box for hours and hours off road?

I'd love to get the anodized black set for my yellow/black F800GS, but saving $200 on the bare aluminum is looking awfully nice.

Thanks
QueLastima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:29 AM   #51
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,718
Having owned other brands' bare aluminum, I would gladly pay the extra $200 for anodized. I have currently have the TT silver anodized Zega Pros.
IBA #50489
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:49 AM   #52
QueLastima
'09 F800GS

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikertrash View Post
Having owned other brands' bare aluminum, I would gladly pay the extra $200 for anodized.
Thank you for the feedback.
QueLastima is offline   Reply With Quote