User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2013, 02:47 PM   #121
Markaso del Norte
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Hey Booger,
Great RR man! Lovin all the photos on your travels. I am planning a trip down Baja, across to The mainland, to copper canyon etc... for next winter, or at the very latest winter 2015. Zacatecas is now on my must see, and stay for a while destinations. I am envious that you guys that live down south have easier access down into Mexico! I wish it was my back yard.
Thanks for all the info on the area!
Markaso del Norte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 03:02 PM   #122
booger1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 806
Class was canceled today so we decide to go back to the Mercado and have some more food. Everywhere we went people are wanting to take pictures of us. I guess the lack of tourists from the states made us an odd attraction, but we felt very welcome.

We found Cheryl's favorite lady who's bound and determined to teach her Spanish, doesn't matter what she's saying as long as the pronunciation is correct.

booger1 screwed with this post 10-21-2013 at 08:22 PM
booger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 03:04 PM   #123
booger1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markaso del Norte View Post
Hey Booger,
Great RR man! Lovin all the photos on your travels. I am planning a trip down Baja, across to The mainland, to copper canyon etc... for next winter, or at the very latest winter 2015. Zacatecas is now on my must see, and stay for a while destinations. I am envious that you guys that live down south have easier access down into Mexico! I wish it was my back yard.
Thanks for all the info on the area!
Mexico is getting such a bad wrap these days, I wish more people where ready to go and see it for themselves, but I guess it takes time.
If you need any help planning your trip let me know.

Old 09-15-2013, 03:47 PM   #124
booger1 OP
Studly Adventurer

With no chance of school on a Saturday, we head South out of town for the first time on the bike since getting to Zac for La Quemada.
It's first inhabitants were around 600 to 800 AD.

Some of the things found in and around the temple.

Cheryl has put herself back in time and is being the lookout.

All these rocks appear to be stacked I see no bonding agents maybe all washed away over time but still holding on.

The mortar on the top of the walls was put there recently to try and preserve what is left.

I didn't read anywhere what these pillars where used for.

Off in the distance I hear whooping and hollering, Poncho Villa rides again.

The many steps of La Quemada

Yes, the steps are that steep.

She needs to take a break.

This made a great fortress at one time.

In the distance you can make out the wall that surrounded the place.

On the way back to town off the side of the road, something unusual that we didn't get an explanation on.

Another great night in the Centro.

booger1 screwed with this post 10-21-2013 at 08:26 PM
Old 09-21-2013, 09:20 AM   #125
booger1 OP
Studly Adventurer

More random photos and we finally found the Fenix Institute.
Waiting outside to start a week of intense Spanish lessons.

We didn't take any pictures of our class as it seemed there wasn't any time for that. You get 3 hours of Spanish lessons and then you meet up with the rest of the class for 2 hours of cultural lessons and singing.
We didn't know the song La Cucaracha was about Poncho Villa and his car.
With the lack of American tourists they had to shut down their school and start working out of there home, but we did luckily find it and after spending a week at this school we now know why they come highly recommended.

Biggest hamburger ever.

Zac has something for everyone.
Big orchestra.

Dancing Donkey.

Indian music

And dancing

Doctors prescribing ice cream.

Chocolate filled churros

Felipe, the owner of the hostel who offered us 2 more nights for free to stay a little longer, unfortunately it's time to head home.

booger1 screwed with this post 10-21-2013 at 08:30 PM
Old 09-21-2013, 10:05 AM   #126
booger1 OP
Studly Adventurer

The real Mexican adventure.

Got caught in one of those Mexican speed traps. Money is exchanged in the front seat of the car ($60). I tried playing really dumb, but after 30 min I can see I'm not going to be able to get out of this. And the only 2 witnesses around who I know won't say anything in my defense.

I cough it up to it's all part of the experience and continue homeward bound.

And then a rear tire failure at 80mph passing a rig.

As we got around the truck we went straight off the road with out getting hit, I consider this very lucky.

The pieces start coming out, first the tube with no valve stem, then the rim strip in pieces, and then the big surprise, the rim lock that came apart.

I think the rim lock is what sliced the inside of the tire.

So I slice the old tube down the middle to help protect the new tube.

I'm told this is called a ring lea or something like that down here. I pinch the tube on the first go around, not good so the new tube has a patch on it now. Just as I'm getting the tire back on the rim a truck pulls up and in his hands is a gallon of water that he's offering us. They then offer to go back home some 50 miles to get there other truck to haul us back to his place in the other direction. It was nice but I think we'll be alright for awhile.

The tire is holding air and were ready to go.........at speeds less than 45mph.

We made it about 70 miles when the tube decides to blow again, but within 20 min on the side of the road help comes.
He's looking at the tube sticking out of the tire.

These guys wouldn't take no for an answer, or money. We load up the bike in the little beat up ranger and they drive us another 60 or so miles to Nuevo Casas Grandes.

I have to say this, you haven't seen Mexico unless your riding in the back of a truck hanging on to your bike as if at any moment your about to lose it. Cheryl rode in the cab with the 2 guys and probably had a whole lot more fun.
Uno, dos, tres, they yelled out the window counting every time the starter didn't catch, sometimes they made it to cinco but it was less exciting.
They proceeded to take us to every motorcycle shop they knew of in hopes of trying to find us a tire and tube.

We buy a tire and tube that was most likely destined for a land fill for $20, but I got a free t-shirt out of it.
Our 2 heros takes us to a tire shop, because they even knew that tube and tire weren't going to make it.

Our 2 new friends stand over the guy with wide eyes as they put the 5th patch on the tube that already has 3 patches.

It's 12:30 when we get to the hotel. They gave up their night of dancing and trying to hook up with some girls to help to complete strangers. They eventually did take some money and we got their addresses and telephone numbers. When we start to speak a little better Spanish we'll be going back to see them.

In the morning we find a guy who owns a motorcycle shop and sells us 2 tubes, so we don't have to use the one with all the patches.
The bike is transformed into not as tuff a bike but one that goes down the road at maybe 55mph now.

We made it to the border without a problem, tire is looking real thin and the dry rotting is more obvious.
Kids seem to flock to the bikes down here and want their pictures taken with it.

We crossed the border and made it into Tucson late at night, it's storming and I just caught two bugs in my eye. It's swollen almost shut and looks like there's a loose contact lens in there.

Not much left of it, but it was sad to throw it away, it did carry us over 140 miles.

The only tire Cycle Gear had on hand that would fit goes on in the parking lot. I'm glad I choose to change out my own tires at home or else this would have been completely miserable. I'm also sporting my new shirt, it's nice to have pictures of yourself with out the same shirt on.

booger1 screwed with this post 10-21-2013 at 08:44 PM
Old 09-21-2013, 05:37 PM   #127
Reidy008
I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer: 1,976
Rim Lock

Why are you running a rim lock? Did you go to the narrower rim and it came with it or did you put it in your self? Good times and another adventure...
Reidy008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:22 PM   #128
booger1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reidy008 View Post
Why are you running a rim lock? Did you go to the narrower rim and it came with it or did you put it in your self? Good times and another adventure...
Yes, the wheels are narrower, rear is a 2.5 can't remember what the front is right now. They've been super laced from woodys. the reason I did this was to have a wider selection of tires for when I go to Mexico. My planning ahead finally worked.

Old 09-21-2013, 10:34 PM   #129
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,678
Great photos Booger! How long did it take you guys to ride down to Zacatecas? I really like the architecture down there.
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 02:04 PM   #130
Rutabaga
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 729
Wonderful tale. Was fortunate to travel in Mexico for twenty years and encountered nothing but hospitality and friendly citizens. I treasure those memories. Thanks for shining a bright light on a wonderful place to visit.
Rutabaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:31 PM   #131
booger1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikertrash View Post
Great photos Booger! How long did it take you guys to ride down to Zacatecas? I really like the architecture down there.
Sorry I didn't see that you had a question.
With the heavy rain we delt with we made it in 2 and half days, probably could do it in 2 days pushing hard.
Zac does have some awesome architecture and were looking forward to going back down.

Old 10-22-2013, 12:41 PM   #132
gsstampeder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,047
Booger1, Well done Amigo!!!
Just finished reading your RR from beginning to....well, it's never really over is it....anyways, it was great to follow along and feel your emotions and love for the people and the culture. Mexico is definitely an adventure everyone should experience at least once!
Thanks for sharing your 'grande moto adventura'...