Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2013, 06:21 AM   #31
Stijn_M OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Cry

update*

When looking at the map you might notice a detour, this was made because once we arrived in Mehaus we realized the only gaspump in the vicinity was way back in Sinettä. So we headed back south in search of fuel.

* I post this in another reply cause for some strange reason I can't edit my former post. The text doesn't show in the edit page...

BRAAaaaaaaaaap

Stijn_M screwed with this post 09-12-2013 at 10:29 PM
Stijn_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:28 AM   #32
Stijn_M OP
Adventurer

Day 7
From lake Unari to lake Inari

distance: around 400km

We woke up and noticed that the bad weather caught up on us, yet again we broke up camp in a drizzle. Despite the weather we didn't loose our spirits, the beautiful roads made sure of that. We cruised on upwards, in direction of Kittilä. Some km's before town we would leave the wet tarmac and continue on the gravel roads passing mount Kumputunturi (581m high) on its east side. Once more the sky opened its gates. Due to the low clouds, rain etc we couldn't fully enjoy the view, but still had a blast riding true the parts. Around noon we stopped near a deer coral, where we put up our shelter so we could feast on pieters 'paintsoup', bread and smoked sausage. A truly wonderful meal when you can be compared with a spunge.
The rain stopped a few moments after we had devoured our meal. With a boosted morale we took off and managed to take some photo's and attempted filming with the GoPro.

After a while the gravel stopped and we took a left on the E75 and crossed the Kitinen, we stopped here to let our coats dry, enjoy a drink and send some postcards. After having bought the post cards we asked the man what in hell they do against the mosquito's cause our deet just wasn't enough. "Well.." answered the man "I have this very good cream, just wipe 3 small strokes on your face..." Neither asking the man about its cost or odeur we happily bought the cream. Well I can't argue about it working, cause in the future it proved itself. But it smells like one of my dogs after making sure they crawled through tar en rolled around fire ashes on a rainy day. While joking around about the newly baptised 'lappi' cream, we noticed a dutch couple arguing on the parking. Few minutes later the man came up to us asking if we got any expierence inflating tires. Because he got this strange thing going on with his rear tire. This couple were driving through scandinavia on bicycles -I actually thought they were looking for woodstock...-, turned out the man put on the rear tire wrong so he had a wobble while driving around. I lent him our footpump so he could remove the tire and put it on correctly but he decided to continue wobbling on towards the town of Ivalo. Where he hoped to find a bike technician, who could fix the problem.

When crawling back on our bikes Simon noticed his rear brake pads were nearly worn, due to the rain/gravel combo they tend to wear fast. So our quest for brake pads had begun. In both Ivalo an Inari we searched for a yamaha or honda store hoping to find brembo pads, without succes. After shopping for food we met a fellow Belgian, who teaches kids English and lived a few 100kms west wart. Having had the ussual small talk we headed on, looking for a camp spot next to the lake. Most nice places were to small, but then we found a clearance a bit further from the lake and called it a day with some fresh beer and baked chicken and rice.

BRAAaaaaaaaaap

Stijn_M screwed with this post 09-13-2013 at 02:34 AM
Old 09-12-2013, 01:27 PM   #33
IslandMonkey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
This is great, especially the camping pics.

IslandMonkey screwed with this post 09-12-2013 at 01:29 PM Reason: typo
IslandMonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:17 AM   #34
Stijn_M OP
Adventurer

Day 8
frolickin around borders

est 330km driven

The day started with bright sunshine! We continued on the 971 heading for the Finnish/Norwegian border, enjoying the wonderful and rich nature. Once crossed the border you can see the landscape change rapidly into the very rough terrain Norway is known for. We made halt at the junction with the E6, took a rest and some pictures of the rapids near Neiden. And headed onto Kirkenes, hoping to find some brake pads.

Arrived in Kirkenes we asked for advice in a gas station, the man immidiately helped us out by calling different motorbike dealers in northern Norway. One had em in stock...but in Bodø, which was a long way from where we were. Other dealers told the man it would take several day's to get them in stock. We thanked the man for his help, outside we ran into a fellow biker driving a shiny yellow HD. He told us our best chances would be in either Tromsø or Bodø. We went onward to take a look at the Russian border, not much happening over there except a heli flying over. In the pic, across the lake is Russia.

We drove in the direction of Tana, we halted once more at the rapids near Neiden and enjoyed a reindeer burger. Arrived in Tana we stocked up on food an beers, and drove further north up to Tanafjorden were we found an excellent campsite! After devouring our baked salmon/ potatoes. We decided this place to be so good we would take the next day of. -The decision was made probably cause this was the first time we had no mosquito's or flesh eating bugs swarming around our head.-

BRAAaaaaaaaaap

Stijn_M screwed with this post 09-13-2013 at 03:22 AM
Old 09-23-2013, 10:04 AM   #35
Stijn_M OP
Adventurer

Day9
Have a rest...

Around noon, Simon and I decided we head over to Tana to continue our brake pad quest and stock some food/beverages. The owner of the Yamaha snowmobile shop in Tana offered to help us. He called Yamaha in Tromsø and managed to order 3 sets of pads for us. In 5 days they would arrive in Tromsø. We thanked the man and bought some 'Yama Lube', we were using lots of chainspray due to the weather and gravel... At the shops we bought a roast, patatoes and some cans of beer but prices were high and we couldn't find any wine or equivalant. Some helpful men at the parking lot told us we needed to cross the border with Finland and it would be like this in most regions of the country and marked a shop on our map. So off we were, heading 100km south in search of drinks -I know this may sound alcoholic... but its nice to have a drink while enjoying dinner and I rather have something good instead of a half liter can of beer wich already gives you a headache before you even swallowed it.- Once arrived at this supermarket we noticed it was pretty crowded there, especially the liquor department We had a good ride, found time to wash our clothes and ended the day with some reindeer roast an a nice glass of wine!

BRAAaaaaaaaaap
Old 09-23-2013, 11:16 AM   #36
belgium
n00b

Oddometer: 2
nice trip, looking forward to the rest
belgium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 04:25 AM   #37
mauriceke666
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
awel....

awel manne, kzit te wachten opt vervolg...:-)
mauriceke666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:39 AM   #38
pip_muenster
curious

Oddometer: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stijn_M View Post
While breaking up camp if found out someone took a liking for my helmet during the night. Some big slimy snail thought he might need a helmet.
[...]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stijn_M View Post
So, where did the snail end up?
Old 10-12-2013, 11:28 AM   #39
Big Daddy D
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
Nice pictures and storytelling!

Waar blijft de rest?
Big Daddy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 12:54 PM   #40
YorkieJohn
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Good stuff. I did a similar trip last May/June. (Report here if anybody cares: http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthr...-Nordkapp-2013) Mine was all on tarmac though. I like your routing!
YorkieJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 05:04 AM   #41
Stijn_M OP
Adventurer

Sorry for the big delay on the journal, I'll get right on it!

BRAAaaaaaaaaap
Old 10-13-2013, 07:26 AM   #42
Stijn_M OP
Adventurer

Day 10
empty tanks, reindeer, wheelies, broken vans and no beer...

Rubberized 588km of tarmac

After packing up, we studied the map and decided to head on to Mehamn. We drove a couple of kilometer on the already familiar road towards Tana, and took a right next to a gas station and drove on ignoring it... Arrived at the intersection with the sign 'Mehamn 100Km', it turned out the local gas pump wouldn't accept our credit cards. The Shop owner explained us the card machine was placed the day before and had yet to be activated, and that he wasn't responsible of the pump so we couldn't get any gas. The closest gas station was either the one we past 65km back, 70km in the direction of the northcape...or the one in Mehamn 100km up north. With 400km on the odometer of the xt's (we always skipped a fuel stop from the gs so pieter had approx. 200km on the odo)we knew reaching Mehamn could get tricky. But Simon and I still had around 1.5l of fuel in our small auxiliary cans, so we decided to take the risk and squeeze every drop out of our tanks. On 'route 888' to Mehamn the scenerey was terrific! The fog gave the open plains and mountain flanks a mysterious look. Due to the fuel shortage we changed our driving style, often killing our engines when rolling down hill. Finally we reached Mehamn 'odometer: 510km' and empy tanks but we made it! We filled our tanks, our tubby's and adv forum with some pics.

Mehamn:

Wifi!

En route back from Mehamn:

While taking the group photo one of our cell phones rang, turned out to be Pia (our friend we would meet at the north cape) she told us her van broke down 500m before reaching the cape. She already called a garage who would tow the van back to Honningsvåg according to what she explained to us probably the alternator broke, leaving the battery dead. She would stay the night at the youth hostel and wait for news from the garage. Normally we would reach Honningsvåg a day later but decided we couldn't leave a damsel in distress, so drove on to our next destination. The windscreen in the back of the van surely had nothing to do with decision being made.

some info regarding Honningsvåg:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honningsv%C3%A5g

some pics we made on the way:

Arrived at Honningsvåg we met Pia in front of the supermarket, I went in and bought some beers to enjoy the evening. Putting the beer and some other stuff on the counter the cashier made a quick call before addressing me that she couldn't sell me the beer. I assured her i was over 21 and pulled out my id. Turned out you can't buy beer after 20h, that explains the silly elastic string through the door handles of the coolers. Ahh well as stupid some laws may be, you can't change them. We headed of to the youth hostel, checked in, made some soup, cracked a bottle of rum from Pia, changed story's and enjoyed the warmth of the midnightsun! Plans were forged of renting a hytte (cheaper than the hostel), because it was Friday and the van would utterly drive on Monday, we would keep Pia company for the weekend.

The hostel around 03h

BRAAaaaaaaaaap

Stijn_M screwed with this post 10-13-2013 at 04:31 PM
Old 10-13-2013, 08:58 AM   #43
Wimke1971
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Leuk om hier eens iets van Belgen te lezen!!! Super tripje precies!
Keep up the good work!

Van waar zijn jullie?
Wimke1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:39 AM   #44
Simon L
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimke1971 View Post
Leuk om hier eens iets van Belgen te lezen!!! Super tripje precies!
Keep up the good work!

Van waar zijn jullie?
Wij zijn van Herentals, prov. Antwerpen.
Was een supertrip!

'If you think adventure is dangerous, try routine. It is lethal.' - Paulo Coelho
Simon L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:59 AM   #45
mauriceke666
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
noordkaap

hallo,

Ik ben van Hechtel in de Limbuuurg...

In 2011 ook Noordkaap gedaan eind mei begin juni.... regen, regen en dan nog wa regen... temperatuur gemiddeld zo een 8 graden. Maar wat een geweldig land (Zweden, Finland en Noorwegen). Ga zeker nog eens terug. We, 4 mannen van boven de vijftig, waren op drie en halve dag boven aan den bol en toen via de Lofoten naar beneden in 12 dagen, wat een beetje weinig is.
Dit jaar via Normandie naar Ierland en Schotland.... ook sjiek...

Een mooi rapport dat jullie hier delen en ik vind het geweldig dat er eindelijk eens een rapport is van jonge kerels... want de gemiddelde leeftijd van de meeste motards is gewoonlijk zo rond de midlife crisis jaren...

bedankt manne en laat het vervolg maar kome...

Maurice

I am from Hechtel in Belgium like the adventure riders in this RR.

Also did the North-cap in 2011, end of may beginning July. Very sorry to say we had some rain, rain and then some more rain. Temperature around 8° C... But what a great country (Sweden, Finland, Norway....) Going back for sure. We, four guys above fifty, drove up to the globe in three and a half days and back down trough Norway 's Lofoten totalling twelve days of riding. Which is a little short.
This year did Normandy, Ireland an Scotland.... grrrreat!!

Great RR you guys are sharing and even more so because you are not of midlife crisis age as are most of the bikers on this forum......

Thanks and waiting for the rest....
mauriceke666 is offline   Reply With Quote