Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2013, 12:37 PM   #2206
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Oddometer: 1,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmajors View Post
but what about comfort for the pillion? Anyone tried it?
My wife thinks it is fine, and we've not had much feedback either way. If you are used to a back rest that comes up far enough to actually recline on then ours is probably not going to work for you. Our 34L top case probably has the pad up the highest of all our cases because it is a taller case, but it still is designed to support the lower back only. Personally I don't think it is comfortable to lean back against a high back rest, I would rather have my lower lumbar region supported. Our pad also has a flap in the back so you can add more foam and make it more firm if you prefer.

-rog
Made in Boulder, Colorado USA
PH: 303-786-8947 Mon-Sat 8:00am-5:00pm Mountain Time Zone
CaribouCases is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:24 AM   #2207
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Caribou Inner Bags back in stock

A quick note out to all that were waiting on our inner bags, they are now back in stock. To order please visit our web site here... http://cariboucases.com/Accessories/Inner-Bags-Pair.html

or for a single bag here...

http://cariboucases.com/Accessories/Inner-Bag-Single.html

Thank you!

-roger

CaribouCases screwed with this post 10-09-2013 at 08:32 AM
Old 10-10-2013, 02:06 PM   #2208
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,728
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question...

I currently have a first-generation Caribou system with Pelican 1550 cases. They've served me well.

I have the potential of a two-up round the world trip in the works. I was looking for a little more luggage space.

Has anyone used both the 1550 cases and the SKB 40 liter cases? I'm curious about how much more usable space is in the SKB cases. Five liters sounds significant, but if you compare the measurements, it's barely an inch bigger in a couple of dimensions.

Will I notice a difference between the 1550 cases and the SKB?

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:37 PM   #2209
uaza
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
I searched EVERYWHERE and cannot find a side by side comparison with the pelican 1550 and 1520..can anyone chime in?

by looking at the photos, looks like the 1550 is too big.. but I'm afraid the 1520 will be too small (is it really just 25L?)

btw - to be used as side panniers for a tiger 800xc
uaza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:14 PM   #2210
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Z View Post
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question...

I currently have a first-generation Caribou system with Pelican 1550 cases. They've served me well.

I have the potential of a two-up round the world trip in the works. I was looking for a little more luggage space.

Has anyone used both the 1550 cases and the SKB 40 liter cases? I'm curious about how much more usable space is in the SKB cases. Five liters sounds significant, but if you compare the measurements, it's barely an inch bigger in a couple of dimensions.

Will I notice a difference between the 1550 cases and the SKB?

Jamie
Yes Jamie, you will indeed notice a significant difference between the 35L and 40L cases as far as how much stuff you can get into them. That 5L extra space really makes a difference, but a lot can be said for packing light and as little as possible. Personally I do not need 40L for any length of trip, that is as long as I am not carrying a passenger.

-rog
Old 10-10-2013, 07:17 PM   #2211
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by uaza View Post
I searched EVERYWHERE and cannot find a side by side comparison with the pelican 1550 and 1520..can anyone chime in?

by looking at the photos, looks like the 1550 is too big.. but I'm afraid the 1520 will be too small (is it really just 25L?)

I'll take a photo tomorrow and post it. The 1550 (35L) is about medium size for side cases. Not too big at all for the Tiger 800. The 1520 at 25L offers pretty limited space for a side case, but it works well for a smaller top case.

-rog
Old 10-10-2013, 09:48 PM   #2212
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaribouCases View Post
Yes Jamie, you will indeed notice a significant difference between the 35L and 40L cases as far as how much stuff you can get into them. That 5L extra space really makes a difference, but a lot can be said for packing light and as little as possible. Personally I do not need 40L for any length of trip, that is as long as I am not carrying a passenger.

-rog
Roger, you have it exactly. I'm looking at a two-up trip and my packing rule is that everything has to go inside the luggage. I've read too many reports of people losing items or getting stuff stolen that wasn't packed properly.

I'm also a light packer, but camping gear, clothes, and other essentials for two people is going to stretch my current setup.

I have 115 liters of hard luggage. With the larger side cases and slightly larger top case, I can push that to a bit more than 130 liters, which should be enough.

Thank you for the comments about the 40 liter cases. You'll be hearing from me in about a year.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:57 AM   #2213
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Quote:

Here are the comparison photos of the Pelican 1550 (35 Liter) and 1520 (25 Liter) cases we offer...

Hope this is helpful, thank you.

-roger
Old 10-17-2013, 09:25 AM   #2214
uaza
Adventurer

Hi Roger.. thanks for the photos.. apparently the size difference is bigger than i expected just by looking at the measurements... now I'm even more confused

I'll call you in a day or two so we can arrange everything.
thanks
F
Old 10-28-2013, 09:58 AM   #2215
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

40L cases back in stock

For those than have been patiently waiting, our 40 liter side luggage and top cases are now back in stock! Please visit http://cariboucases.com/ for more information and to order. Thank you!

Old 10-28-2013, 10:55 AM   #2216
steve_k
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,056
Quote:
Hi Roger.. thanks for the photos.. apparently the size difference is bigger than i expected just by looking at the measurements... now I'm even more confused

I'll call you in a day or two so we can arrange everything.
thanks
F

One thing I have found helpful when luggage shopping for my last two bike... Make cardboard mockups of the luggage you are looking to get, then tape to bike or have someone hold in position. Gives a good idea of what to expect when the good arrive.
steve_k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:45 PM   #2217
uaza
Adventurer

just ordered the caribou pelican 1550 - 35l ones! thank you for the great service.... I'll post photos when they arrive and get mounted.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:57 PM   #2218
aaron2a
supermoto hooligan

Oddometer: 631
I'm looking at getting the caribou quick release mount but Im not sure which do-it-yourself kit to get. They all seem to be labeled for specific rack systems, but since nobody makes a rack for my bike I will have to start from scratch. I'm wondering which system has the smallest mounting area. I would like the mounting hoop (not sure of the technical term) to be based on the wolfman rack. Is there a system to work with these hoops? Btw I ride a 08 husqvarna sm610 if anyone wants to fabricate my side racks : Im wanting to keep the racks themselves as small as possible so that when I have the cases off the rack won't be too distracting/"in your face" for lack of a better phrase :)

Also do you have a deal on the quick release kit with two side cases (without the rack unless yall can make one for my bike)
aaron2a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:30 PM   #2219
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

If you are going to make your own rack, it helps to start with a set of "hoops" - the rectangular sides of the rack that cases latch on to. This will allow you to use one of our DIY kits for Givi, Motech or Hepco Becker side racks. I would try to find a used set of racks, cut off the struts and parts that attach to the specific bike, and make new struts and parts for your bike.

We don't make a mount kit for the old Wolfman racks, and the smallest rack I think is Givi so I would start with those.
-rog
Old 11-18-2013, 06:03 PM   #2220
aaron2a
supermoto hooligan

Oddometer: 631
Thanks! Now to find some old givi racks
aaron2a is offline   Reply With Quote