Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > 2 smokers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2013, 12:01 PM   #136
boomshakalaka
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
A tickler! This is the first I'd ever heard of such a thing... I guess it's like the little rubber clowns nose on my lawn mower that I pump a few times to prime the carb?

Oh, and after a bit of googling, it looks like it is the correct body work, just that it is missing the side covers. In most pictures it looks like it's all one piece, but check out this link: http://www.rcycle.com/1974BultacoAlpina250.html

Rich B, you mentioned lighting... is there anywhere I can get a wiring diagram? Without lights, it's just a wire from the stator to the coil, right? Is there anywhere I can find a repair manual? There has to be a PDF one floating around, right? Oh and yeah, I'd be interested in the airbox; let me know.

Anyways, thanks for the help and encouragement so far.
boomshakalaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:52 PM   #137
fredz43
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomshakalaka View Post
A tickler! This is the first I'd ever heard of such a thing... I guess it's like the little rubber clowns nose on my lawn mower that I pump a few times to prime the carb?

Oh, and after a bit of googling, it looks like it is the correct body work, just that it is missing the side covers. In most pictures it looks like it's all one piece, but check out this link: http://www.rcycle.com/1974BultacoAlpina250.html

The link you quoted shows a later model, the M116. The M85 that you have came with one piece body work and it was blue with silver trim. A good site that has model numbers and pics of most models is here:

http://cemoto.tripod.com/bultaco.htm
fredz43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:06 PM   #138
Rich B
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 654
Quote:

Rich B, you mentioned lighting... is there anywhere I can get a wiring diagram? Without lights, it's just a wire from the stator to the coil, right? Is there anywhere I can find a repair manual? There has to be a PDF one floating around, right? Oh and yeah, I'd be interested in the airbox; let me know.

Anyways, thanks for the help and encouragement so far.
I think someone posted a color wiring diagram on this board a few months ago..... Also check Yahoo Groups, there is a half assed Bultaco board there. It has an old rebuild article and I seem to remember a wiring diagram. I don't know of any PDF manual floating around. Look around for a Haynes, not the best but it does cover the basics. It is better for a Sherpa T or Alpina than any other models.

I know where the air cleaner is hiding, but not sure if I can physically get to it maybe after I heal a bit from being sliced and diced on Monday I will see if I can get to it this weekend, or see if the wife will dig it out (not holding my breath on that). Long story, but my riding is probably done for a few months

Yea, the tickler is similar to the clown nose on your mower. You actually raise the fuel level in the float bowl with the tickler to "enrichen" the mixture. Really! And it does mostly work. Be careful of letting the bike sit with fuel in the bowl, Amal carbs are a bit susceptible to clogging the pilot circuit. That bike should have a correct Spanish Amal with a separate pilot jet. Watch getting Amal parts as many are for 4 stroke spec carbs. Needles and needle jets are the largest minefield in incorrect parts.

Rich B screwed with this post 07-31-2013 at 07:14 PM
Rich B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 02:58 PM   #139
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,448
Quote:
A tickler! This is the first I'd ever heard of such a thing...
Be careful not to confuse a spanish tickler with a french tickler. The tecnique is quite different.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:57 PM   #140
jcf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
She's so dirty

jcf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:56 PM   #141
dr1445
n00b

Oddometer: 1
115 alpina

here is my work in progress. Honda cl350 front wheel, suzuki sp rear wheel, mikuni 28mm flatside, powerdynamo ignition, gearing is 13/36. off to the dmv this week to get a tag.

dr1445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:55 AM   #142
Ricardito
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
looking for Sherpa T

Looking for a complete, running (easy starting?) Sherpa T in the Longmont CO area. Any leads? Any for sale by inmates? Willing to pay premium price for premium bike. Email me at landeira@colorado.edu. Thanks for your help
Ric
Ricardito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:33 AM   #143
Ricardito
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Found one!

Found a nice original 1972 250 Sherpa T twenty miles from my house yesterday. Bought it on the spot. Will spend the weekend cleaning and checking it out. Word certainly gets around fast at Adventure Rider.
thx
Ricardito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:17 AM   #144
jcf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
Show us
jcf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 06:21 PM   #145
PSchrauber
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 832
Yes, please show us the Sherpa you found, beeing a Sherpa rider since 1980 I'am too very interested.
PSchrauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:15 AM   #146
flinders_72
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredz43 View Post
Just found this thread. I love Bultacos also.

I'll start with my M214 Frontera, origianlly a 250, now a 370 with a M143 top end. I ride it in AHRMA Cross Country events.

IMO the best looking bikes ever built.
flinders_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:44 AM   #147
fredz43
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by flinders_72 View Post
IMO the best looking bikes ever built.
Thank you. I love it and find it the prefect woods weapon for the vintage hare scrambles I race. Got a national coming up this weekend in White City, IL

http://www.ahrma.org/ahrma_pdfs/Z-20...o_Preview.html
fredz43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:55 PM   #148
GarageRat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Hey Mr. Ziglar-I was looking for you at the ISDT-RR. You would have classed up the joint with your Frontera. In the entire field of competitors (and DS riders) there were only 3 Bultacos; 2 M26 matadors and an Alpina that DNS.

Good luck this weekend!

Tom
GarageRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 02:44 AM   #149
Sadlotus
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Newbie to AV

Hi all, hopefully here's a pic of my Sherpa 92 I recently restored, not for competition just to ride around the yard (livery yard and surrounding farmland) also a chance for my son to ride a bike ...so enjoyed restoring this one... I bought another... Sherpa 80, nearly finished that ....so just got a Frontera 152, originally from Colorado apparently, under the sun bleached, brittle baked tank and sun destroyed seat and Preston Pettys are cupfuls of desert sand... quite cool. Will show pics when I get onto the pc. Started this on my phone and now can't work out how to put pics in!

Aah - my first post so not allowed to post pictures yet.

Sadlotus screwed with this post 10-04-2013 at 03:53 AM
Sadlotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:12 PM   #150
Abdelhub
Blanco Trasho

Oddometer: 726
My bushwhacked taco

138 frame, model 99 bottom end, pursing 326 top end....great trail bike....

Mike

http://www.youtube.com/abdelhub
Abdelhub is offline   Reply With Quote