User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2013, 01:20 PM   #1
Poe OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
R1150GS Fuel Line/Filters/QD Replacement

I took my 32k-mile '03 R1150GS out for a ride yesterday, and when I stopped after only a few miles to take a picture I smelled a strong odor of gasoline - and found where gas had run down the fuel lines from under the right side of the tank and dripped down on the transmission. I wiped it all off with a rag and pulled gently on the lines... no more fuel leaked. Started the bike and pulled on the lines some more... no leak. Got back on and rode a couple more miles and stopped & checked again (engine running)... still no leak. Went ahead and completed my ride (about 80 miles) and never saw/smelled any more gas. Well it came from somewhere, so I suspect there's a small crack in one of the original plastic QD's (as I've read plenty about on here). wherever it is, I don't want it letting go in the middle of my next long ride (I just got back from A 1200-mile ride last week!), so I'm going to replace the QD's, ALL of the fuel lines - internal and external, the in-tank fuel filter, and the pump strainer/sock (and check out the tank liner situation & address that too if needed). That should keep any fuel-related issues at bay for a few years - barring a pump failure.

I'm working up an order with BeemerBoneyard right now... chrome plated brass QDs, Replacement Fuel Line Kit W/Clamps, Fuel Filter, Oilhead Fuel Filter Change O-Ring & Hose Clamp Kit, and the new Fuel Pump Strainer. What I CAN'T find on there is any replacement parts for the INTERNAL lines. Can somebody please point me to what I need for that? I've tried searching in here, and found a reference to a Gates part# for the two larger internal lines - that I could just get at a NAPA store... and someone said you don't even need to worry about the smaller (vent) lines in there - so maybe that's all I need. Anyway... if anyone can clarify - and/or let me know what else I should get/do while I'm at it, I'd certainly appreciate it!

Also considering bypassing the fuel vapor canister... still need to read up on that a little more. Any advice in that area is appreciated as well.

Thanks!
Poe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 01:56 PM   #2
Steve W.
Boxer Pilot

Oddometer: 276
http://www.euromotoelectrics.com/BMW...fp-hosekit.htm

Been in my 01 for a long time. Moved filter outside and replaced U piece and connecting hoses with the corrugated hose.

Cheers YMMV
Steve
Old 09-23-2013, 07:03 PM   #3
SJSharkfan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 597
It looks like you have a good list going for BB. You might call them and ask if they have the right submersible fuel line. It's a good preventative measure but may not required. Ask for ADV discount.

Ditch the canister. They just cause problems when they get older.

More importably look at changing the rubber brake lines with stainless.

Dave
'02 R1150GS ADV "The Tank"

"I fire up the willing engine,responding with a roar.
Tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime."

"Red Barchetta" By RUSH
SJSharkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:32 PM   #4
dirtsurfer
Challenged Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,551
Get 2 QD's for your cross over pipe - a great time saver

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4
Old 09-23-2013, 08:16 PM   #5
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,022
He's got a GS, no? No crossover on a 5.8 gallon GS.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:21 PM   #6
Poe OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. Ill have to give BB a call and see what they say about the submersible line.

I've been reading up on the charcoal canister and will definitely be either bypassing it or removing it completely. No point leaving that ticking time bomb in place.

Mine is a regular GS... non-ADV... so no crossover pipe.

I replaced the rubber brake lines with braided stainless a few weeks ago... and did the upgraded left side cam chain tensioner at about the same time.

Just bought this bike last February and have put about 6k miles on it so far. Have been really enjoying it! Slowly but surely eliminating as many worry beads as possible. I'm just glad that fuel leak didn't happen last week in the middle of my 1200-mile trip!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
Old 09-23-2013, 09:35 PM   #7
Snowbound
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 857
178,000 miles on my 2001 1150 GS . The canister is still attached . No problems so far with it . I also had my brake lines custom made .
2001 R 1150 GS 1978 R 100RS 1976 XT-500 1964 CL-72
1955 CJ-5 1975 F-250 Highboy
Snowbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:55 AM   #8
yellow 1150GS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
check for the recall

My 2003 Sport had the same problem and was covered by the recall from BMW. Mine was leaking where the clamp was put on the quick disconnect, and ironically the same day I got a recall notice from BMW. It is recall campaign number 04V-028, "crimp connection and quick disconnect coupling". The dealer can check by VIN# and see if it has been done. The clamps did not get crimped enough and the o-rings in the disconnects or the disconnects themselves may be damaged. Hope this helps.
yellow 1150GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:06 AM   #9
Poe OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks Yellow. The previous owner took the bike to the dealership religiously for EVERY service, so I'm sure that recall was addressed at some point. I haven't checked yet, but I bet one of the QD's is cracked or the non-viton O-ring inside has deteriorated. I think I'd rather just replace them with some that I know are good and won't fail. Same for the 10-yr-old fuel lines.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:58 AM   #10
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe View Post
Thanks for the replies and suggestions. Ill have to give BB a call and see what they say about the submersible line.
Getting ready to do a little work on my '03 GS soon. Planning to pop in a fresh fuel filter along with a new gauge plate o-ring while I'm at it but I've also been wondering about replacing the internal fuel lines too while I'm in there since the bike is 10 yrs old, and it has seen some ethanol.

I'm putting together an order from BB now and just found this thread....

Did you ever call them about the internal fuel lines?

I found these on their site and they appear to be the same that Steve W. posted the link to earlier. But, he said he moved his filter outside, so I'm wondering if anyone has used this "kit" to replace the stock internal lines when keeping the filter in the stock location. Been a while since I last replaced the fuel filter so I can't remember exactly how it looks inside there, but it seems that 10" is WAY too long for the application from what I do seem to remember.

If these aren't what I need, does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:19 PM   #11
bdarling
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 402
It sounds like you're on the right path with replacement parts, but I can add a few notes based on my experience with my 1100GS 18 months ago.

The new fuel pump flange o-ring changes size (shrinks) once you take it out of the bag and the manual recommends letting it acclimate for a couple hours. I skipped this step because it sounded like hog-wash, but I discovered that the o-ring is was too large and is easily damaged beyond repair if it gets pinched during reassembly. I didn't realize my mistake at first because the tank was almost empty when I reassembled everything and rode down to the gas station. After filling up and parking the bike, there was no obvious leak. At about 2 AM, I woke up to the strong smell of gasoline in the house and discovered a HUGE puddle of gasoline under the bike in the garage (next to the water heater ). The o-ring had been pinched and it split, allowing the tank to spew its contents.

After installing a brand new o-ring that had been allowed to acclimate, my mistake was obvious. I also applied a thin coat of gasoline-safe sealant to the o-ring this time. 15,000 miles later, I have no leaks to report.

The local Napa had submersible fuel line in 1-foot lengths for something ridiculous like $30, but I needed it and Napa had it in stock. Moving the filter outside of the tank eliminates a lot of hassle down the line.

Good luck!

-Blake
Old 10-29-2013, 01:23 PM   #12
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 14,420
Or buy the Big viton O ring from mcmastercarr, since it wont shrink or stretch like the Buna O ring.

most decent auto parts stores can source the submersible hose, make sure you understand and check for the SAE30R10 marking. Many times the parts monkey guys have simply sold me fuel hose, when ive asked for submersible, if it isnt $17-$30 per foot, it isnt the right stuff.

be very careful removing the hose from the fuel pump also, I broke the plastic nipple off of my perfectly fine working pump last time, and had to replace the pump.

Charter member: T.O. club.

Tilt your head, not the taco.
mouthfulloflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:44 PM   #13
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouthfulloflake View Post
Or buy the Big viton O ring from mcmastercarr, since it wont shrink or stretch like the Buna O ring.
Really? I didn't realize that the OEM o-rings were Buna-N.

Just checked... the ones offered by BBY are said to be viton also. But for future reference, would you happen to know the dimensions of the OEM rings if ordering from MMC or other general purpose vendors?
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:11 PM   #14
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 14,420
I think it is a dash 348

from mcmaster carr

Fractional
Size
Actual
Inch Size
AS568A
Dash No. ID OD ID OD Pkg.
Qty. Per
Pkg.
Width: 3/16" Fractional (0.210" Actual)
348 4 3/8" 4 3/4" 4.350" 4.770" 2 9464K611 $6.30

this thread has some helpful info too

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=816508

Charter member: T.O. club.

Tilt your head, not the taco.
mouthfulloflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:25 PM   #15
Poe OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
Getting ready to do a little work on my '03 GS soon. Planning to pop in a fresh fuel filter along with a new gauge plate o-ring while I'm at it but I've also been wondering about replacing the internal fuel lines too while I'm in there since the bike is 10 yrs old, and it has seen some ethanol.

I'm putting together an order from BB now and just found this thread....

Did you ever call them about the internal fuel lines?
Yes, I did... and they told me they didn't currently stock the internal lines. I'd read on here that you can use Gates 27093 submersible fuel line and they confirmed that. It's available at NAPA, O'Reilly's, etc. for about $30 for a 1 ft. length (which is WAY more than you need). I found a guy selling it on eBay for $19.98 shipped, so I bought it... except it turned out to be the wrong stuff. It was advertised as Gates 27093 - which is black with the part# and the word "submersible" printed on it. What I received was blue with only a small Gates logo on it. I emailed Gates about it and they promptly replied confirming that 27093 was - and had always been - black... and that the line I'd bought was most likely NOT submersible. The eBay seller did at least allow me to return it for a full refund. How many times do I have to learn that YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR! LOL!

In the meantime, I had disassembled my tank and found my internal lines to be soft/pliable, not hard/brittle like people say they get with age, so I just left them in there for now. My tank liner hasn't started peeling yet either, so I didn't have to deal with that (yet). I just changed the internal filter, cleaned the contacts for the fuel gauge potentiometer and put it back together (new access plate o-ring). I then replaced the quick disconnects (with the nice chrome-plated brass ones from BB ) and all the external lines. Performed the charcoal cannisterectomy while I was at it too. Took it out for a 50-mile shakedown ride last weekend and all is well. No leaks and the pump is quieter.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Poe screwed with this post 10-29-2013 at 08:31 PM